• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

100%'d everything barring Marseille. Got the sick score on that, just need to mop up the rest. Game definitely improves when you've maxed you character, which is possible after completing Downhill Jam.

apesh1t

Banned
I have no Internet access right now, this is killing me. Been actually skating for around 17 years. Bought every THPS on launch and took the day off from school or work to play it. I even have Ride but that was bought at Best Buy for 10 bucks a few months ago.

For those conerned 4 is the best in the series. Had the most replayability, the best levels and the most challenges. It runs at 60 fps and is backwards compatible with the 360 and looks amazing. Back in the day I even invested in a controller converter so I could play the Xbox version (best graphics) with the PS2 controller for the d pad.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I have no Internet access right now, this is killing me. Been actually skating for around 17 years. Bought every THPS on launch and took the day off from school or work to play it. I even have Ride but that was bought at Best Buy for 10 bucks a few months ago.

For those conerned 4 is the best in the series. Had the most replayability, the best levels and the most challenges. It runs at 60 fps and is backwards compatible with the 360 and looks amazing. Back in the day I even invested in a controller converter so I could play the Xbox version (best graphics) with the PS2 controller for the d pad.
How's the local multi in 4? Does it have split screen or hotseat?

Yes! Tthe THPS2 & 3 fanboys need to accept this :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I knew Tony Hawk was a serial divorcer, but jesus...

Hawk married Cindy Dunbar in April 1990.[13] They had a son, Riley Hawk (born December 6, 1992) whom they named for one of Hawk's ancestors.[14] Riley also skates for Lakai Limited Footwear and Baker Skateboards.[15] The couple divorced in 1993.[3] Hawk married Erin Lee in 1996. They had two sons, Spencer (born March 26, 1999) and Keegan (born July 18, 2001). Lee and Hawk divorced in 2004.[3] Hawk married Lhotse Merriam on January 12, 2006, on the island of Tavarua, Fiji.[16] The couple's first child, a daughter named Kadence Clover Hawk, was born on June 30, 2008. The couple announced their divorce on February 7, 2011.[17]

Bgamer90

Banned
Some people should just stay unmarried lol.

Anyways, this game is very fun online. Also, wow... the reviews of this game are so mixed. 4.5 out of 10 all the way to 9 out of 10s. Kind of funny.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
The more I play this thing the more I'm bothered with it. It has "development team pressed for time and resources" written all over it, and given the general indifference Activision has with the franchise at this point I wouldn't be surprised.

The physics of skating feel wrong. Not terrible, just wrong - like grind rails used to be more generous about when they'd accept a grind, or that it feels a little too "wait for the animation to complete" about deciding whether you landed or bailed on a grab as you come down, or how horizontal movement through air when jumping feels completely crippled compared to what I remember.

But you know, you can acclimate yourself to these sorts of things. And eventually the game starts being enjoyable, at least by way of indulging in nostalgia and nailing some fun gaps. Clearing most of Warehouse with a new character in one go once I got into the groove of things while Powerman 5000 rocked out in the background and I unlocked a ghost skater cheat? It sort of felt like the halcyon days of the early 2000's all over again.

As I played, though, the lack of polish really started to eat at me. For a game that so highly touted its soundtrack to have no sound options than "music volume" and "sound volume" is just inexcusable. The original game had a robust soundtrack option on the PSX in 1999. Why is this acceptable in 2012? When bailing the physics go into batshit crazy mode like you're playing PAIN on the PS3, and often you end up flying through the geometry into the black void of space. The camera doesn't seem to obey most rules of physics when tracking your ragdoll, either, so be prepared to be looking at the ugly guts of some Unreal levels. There's no quick way to access your cleared objectives, the level map, or upgrade your stats during a run, things Tony Hawk games had managed to work into their in-game and between-run menus in their first few iterations. To access the map and objectives you need to pause and hit "RB," which feels clunky and unnatural. To upgrade your charactr you have to quit to the character selection screen outright, then use an awkward interface to purchase upgrades. I.E., scroll to your character, hit "RB" to activate purchase mode, select your upgrdaes with "A", then hit "RB" to confirm your purchase. This is all on one screen, mind you, and hitting "RB" to both activate purchase mode AND to confirm is unintuitive and a little offputting. This is compounded by all the stuff they left out, too. There's absolutely - absolutely no reason to not include HORSE as a hot-swap multiplayer mode. There's no reason not to include create-a-skater.

All of this sounds like nitpicking, and by and large it is, but in aggregate they add up to a slapshot package that feels closer to cheap shovelware than a release from the once lauded Tony Hawk franchise. It seriously feels like none of the lessons learned from the first several games have been looked at here. And again, while the developer's pedigree is far from top notch the game simply feels rushed from on high - like they reached a point where they had a bunch of "best-of" levels and "good enough" mechanics and released with an atrocious interface and bereft of key features because of an impossible launch date. Given that this is a cornerstone title in Microsoft's current little promotion, it wouldn't surprise me.

Tony Hawk may be a tarnished franchise now in the financially motivated eyes of Activision, but for a good five years it was an interesting, unique, unforgettable platformer that tied itself into the tail end of the pop-culture-ification of skater culture. There are a lot of people, old and young, that have fond memories of playing the game for any number of reasons. While it may not be the moneymaker it once was, a retro-remake of the first two seminal titles deserved more time and love than went into this.

Mit-

NO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER?

As if all this other garbage I'm hearing about this game isn't enough, that is most certainly the nail in this decrepit coffin of a game, and development studio.

So, I really want to play 2X, is that game really only on Xbox? Did it come out on anything else? Please say PC...

Aaron

NO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER?

As if all this other garbage I'm hearing about this game isn't enough, that is most certainly the nail in this decrepit coffin of a game, and development studio.

So, I really want to play 2X, is that game really only on Xbox? Did it come out on anything else? Please say PC...
Nope. 3, 4, and American Wasteland came out on PC.

pikablu

The more I play this thing the more I'm bothered with it. It has "development team pressed for time and resources" written all over it, and given the general indifference Activision has with the franchise at this point I wouldn't be surprised.

The physics of skating feel wrong. Not terrible, just wrong - like grind rails used to be more generous about when they'd accept a grind, or that it feels a little too "wait for the animation to complete" about deciding whether you landed or bailed on a grab as you come down, or how horizontal movement through air when jumping feels completely crippled compared to what I remember.

But you know, you can acclimate yourself to these sorts of things. And eventually the game starts being enjoyable, at least by way of indulging in nostalgia and nailing some fun gaps. Clearing most of Warehouse with a new character in one go once I got into the groove of things while Powerman 5000 rocked out in the background and I unlocked a ghost skater cheat? It sort of felt like the halcyon days of the early 2000's all over again.

As I played, though, the lack of polish really started to eat at me. For a game that so highly touted its soundtrack to have no sound options than "music volume" and "sound volume" is just inexcusable. The original game had a robust soundtrack option on the PSX in 1999. Why is this acceptable in 2012? When bailing the physics go into batshit crazy mode like you're playing PAIN on the PS3, and often you end up flying through the geometry into the black void of space. The camera doesn't seem to obey most rules of physics when tracking your ragdoll, either, so be prepared to be looking at the ugly guts of some Unreal levels. There's no quick way to access your cleared objectives, the level map, or upgrade your stats during a run, things Tony Hawk games had managed to work into their in-game and between-run menus in their first few iterations. To access the map and objectives you need to pause and hit "RB," which feels clunky and unnatural. To upgrade your charactr you have to quit to the character selection screen outright, then use an awkward interface to purchase upgrades. I.E., scroll to your character, hit "RB" to activate purchase mode, select your upgrdaes with "A", then hit "RB" to confirm your purchase. This is all on one screen, mind you, and hitting "RB" to both activate purchase mode AND to confirm is unintuitive and a little offputting. This is compounded by all the stuff they left out, too. There's absolutely - absolutely no reason to not include HORSE as a hot-swap multiplayer mode. There's no reason not to include create-a-skater.

All of this sounds like nitpicking, and by and large it is, but in aggregate they add up to a slapshot package that feels closer to cheap shovelware than a release from the once lauded Tony Hawk franchise. It seriously feels like none of the lessons learned from the first several games have been looked at here. And again, while the developer's pedigree is far from top notch the game simply feels rushed from on high - like they reached a point where they had a bunch of "best-of" levels and "good enough" mechanics and released with an atrocious interface and bereft of key features because of an impossible launch date. Given that this is a cornerstone title in Microsoft's current little promotion, it wouldn't surprise me.

Tony Hawk may be a tarnished franchise now in the financially motivated eyes of Activision, but for a good five years it was an interesting, unique, unforgettable platformer that tied itself into the tail end of the pop-culture-ification of skater culture. There are a lot of people, old and young, that have fond memories of playing the game for any number of reasons. While it may not be the moneymaker it once was, a retro-remake of the first two seminal titles deserved more time and love than went into this.

Couldn't agree with you more man. I'm not saying its a terrible game but most of the good is from nostalgia. I mean shit this game is sooo unforgiving in trying to grind things and get in that one last spin. Like ughhhh. It has nothing to do with the controller either like some people are claiming. I just got through playing 2X the day before and It was fine. Still I'm going to strive to get all these acheivements because it is, playable, just not as perfect as even the originals.

web01

I just watched the latest trailer and came to this thread to see what people had to say about the stacking physics because they look absolutely horrendous. The pre-canned animations of the original looked much better. Hype for this game has plummeted.

Spy

There's probably no hope for the original Tony Hawk games showing up on PSN via PS1/PS2 classics is there? That would probably cut into their Tony Hawk HD profit.

Shockamoto

Neo Member
Just played the demo, what a disappointment. :( I'm not savvy when it comes to game graphics tech... what's happening here? To me it looks jerky, almost like there's micro pauses or something. Is that what's known as "dropping frames"?

Mit-

Nope. 3, 4, and American Wasteland came out on PC.

/mylife

I'm just gonna put my PS1 copies of Tony Hawk 1 and 2 in my PS3 and play those with friends sometime. I really wanted to play all of the Tony Hawk 1 levels in the 2 engine, though. Curse you Xbox.

Also, my name is Aaron as well :V

fernoca

There's probably no hope for the original Tony Hawk games showing up on PSN via PS1/PS2 classics is there? That would probably cut into their Tony Hawk HD profit.
That technically could've been easier to do, but also a nightmare (money-wise) when it comes to licensing the music, sound and the likeness of those involved.

Chris R

Ugh, so this is actually as bad as people were making it out to be :(

If it played fine I'd buy it, but the game just feels broken. The partial soundtrack would be my only other gripe to hold against it. Don't care about local split screen or any of the other things people are saying are missing, but all that doesn't matter since the game just plays bad.

pikablu

Online Graffiti Mode is actually pretty damn fun. Just got through playing it. Trying to get that acheivement on The Hanger now for scoring 200,000. Closest I've gotten is 172,000.

NO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER?

PC THPS Games:
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Frequent crashes (especially upon beating Bullring); Warehouse, Chicago, and Downhill Jam are bonus levels (other THPS1 levels can be played using mods); lacks the bonus levels from 2x, features Hotseat HORSE
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - Probably the best PC port of all THPS games, online play still works with the official patch, fairly strong mod scene has begun porting levels from other games in the series to this, this and all following games feature a minor bug where skating off a surface sometimes teleports you to the floor of the next surface down
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - Probably "the best" THPS game in terms of gameplay and mechanics, this port has issues with not limiting the framerate to the V-sync which causes some minor bugs during gameplay, Online doesn't really work any more or it takes considerable effort
Tony Hawk's Underground - Rare Australia exclusive port, Tampa level features a level from 2x if it's worth anything to you. In addition to the classic levels already in the game, unfinished but fairly complete versions of School I, Philadelphia, and Downhill Jam can be modded to be playable
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 - Fairly strong mod scene has added several features to the game
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - Online scene still has active players typically around 60 online at a time, Atlanta and Marseilles from the PS2 Collector's Edition are NOT playable
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - To be released, online play severely worse than previous games if it's anything like the 360 version, gameplay and mechanics inaccurately emulate THPS2, 7 base levels with DLC for more, no Create-A-Modes, Single Player is decent

Aaron

Activision should put the PC versions on Steam. I'd probably re-buy all of them because my console copies have vanished during a move.

//B1G

Banned
Now this is giving me some nostalgia.

itgeAdsCcGRhm.png

I made the ultimate hesher kid!

> edit, and this is the only upressing I need done to School II !

ib1STu019BhYXh.png

Gowans

Well it's coming back.

Top of my friends lists scoreboard, mega combos lining up but I'm stacking them.

Totally forgot how to vary my tricks, do specials or combine grab tricks of the top of quarter/halfpipes to combos.... :(

I'm looking for commentated YouTube vids for refreshers.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Well, I finally got around to playing the demo last night. Man am I glad I didn't just jump in and buy it - this is garbage.

I put hundreds of hours into the original games and dug them out recently to get in the mood for the remake. The way everything should feel is etched into my mind, all the gaps, the weight of the skaters, everything.

Tragically, the devs here have missed the mark completely. It feels completely wrong - floaty, glitchy, clunky, whatever you want to call it, it is clear within about 10 seconds that they either didn't care (unlikely) or they were rushed into releasing it and couldn't refine the feel. It's terrible.

Anyone who is thinking of purchasing - try the demo. It feels NOTHING like the original games. I'm really gutted - the devs had such a massive opportunity with this, and they totally blew it. What a shame.

Played the demo. Who thought it would be a good idea to end the demo with a fadeout with 30 seconds left on a 2 minute clock. What the fuck.

I don't remember being able to jump so high, is it because tony hawk in the demo has maxed out stats?

i played the demo a whole bunch last night. soon as it starts fading, you can hit the back button to start over pretty quickly (it still loads, but it's only a few seconds and takes you right back into gameplay).

i've got Zune pass so i grabbed all the available songs from THPS 1 - 4. it scratches the itch. it plays closely enough to how i remember it playing (even if i'd notice the differences if i were to track down THPS2 pc and play that). i'm still waiting on the PC version, but for the downloadable price i think this is going to have enough content to keep me happy.

Am I the only one having problems with completing the "Ollie the Magic Bum 5X" on Venice Beach? I'm getting a bug where the bums don't show up, so I'm unable to actually complete the goal.

Edit: I'm on Xbox 360, by the way.

Top Bottom