• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Eric WK

Lebron said:
You can trade items? Sorry, I've been living under a rock. Hot damn that's awesome.

Yup. Or bounty. So you can technically buy/sell, as well. Going to be fun looking for people with the final blueprint you need for an epic set and the like.

Cornballer said:

Enemies level up with you?
You don't die?
4 levels, linear?
no lobby?
he had no idea what the point of playing was?

...Dangit. I'm still going to get it, but if IGN can even point out these faults, I'm getting worried.

edit: Damn does it look pretty though. Music sounds good, too, anyone know what this composer has done before?

Macattk15

Denis Dyack said:
No, it was just the last character i finished playing on the pre-GM build. I am going to switch it up. I think people will really like how different the bio is. I will likely get every class to 50 :). I really love Too Human. :)

I'll take it elsewhere.

Macattk15

Jtyettis said:
Might want to read the OP next time. Pro-tip, that little banner at the bottom it actually means something.

Or you can get butt hurt over it.

Clearly I was kidding with the "Had to" in parentheses. Seems that review thread have got you all in a tissy!

Macattk15 said:

Clearly I was kidding with the "Had to" in parentheses. Seems that review thread have got you all in a tissy!

It's not a question of "butt hurt". It's because of threads like the Review Thread you just mentioned that this thread is monitored so strictly.

FrankT

Macattk15 said:

Haha, Bish is coming that is all I'm going to say, junior. Mixed reviews or not, heh.

Xenon

Macattk15 said:
Ok. I guess I'm supposed to be threatened ...

:lol you

Anyway. I am not happy to hear about the leveling of monsters. Its the worst thing that can happen to a rpg/loot game. I wish there was an option to have preset enemy levels or leveled monsters.

master15

_tetsuo_ said:

Also looks like for those discussing earlier Milkman was one of the other 2 who reviewed the game for EGM and gave the game same score as Gian's.

Milkman said:
Oh fucking well!

On another note, regarding the 42 that C-Net-owned Metacritic translated our score into, it most certainly does not, according to our own scoring system, equate with as 42.

As for the game itself, I reviewed it as well for EGM, and arrived at the same score as GianCarlo, independent of GianCarlo (we don't discuss our scores with each other until the text is handed in, to avoid hive-mind stuff). As a freak for loot whoring type games (Diablo II, Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy XI, Monster Hunter) I found Too Human unsatisfying on all levels. I can appreciate the spin on Norse myth, but once past that, there's so little else to keep me coming back to Too Human.

Cmagus

doesn't change anything for me I loved the demo and am looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and I hope it does well because it would be nice for us out here in Niagara to have this game possibly bring more jobs or even recognition for possibly some sort of course out here maybe at Niagara or Brock.Anyways this game will be great and I know myself and several friends are really looking forward to this game.

Good luck SK!

Lykathea

Banned
The demo sold me long ago. People, after all, are their own best critics. Certainly I will take into account the criticisms brought forth by reviewers to see if they actually effect the quality of the game, however, at this point I remain skeptical about claims of 'balance issues' due to dying a lot as DD has said before that if you are indeed dying a ton you are not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

Xenon

BenjaminBirdie said:
That sounded like one of the appealing things. Challenge. Oh, well.

I prefer PSO system of difficulty of NORMAL, HARD, VERY HARD. Taking on the hard levels early was a great challenge. Sure you could get through the first level and its boss if you tried hard, but the next level would kick your ass. So you had to loot and level to move forward. It was rewarding to finally pass that hurdle and move on. If the review is accurate, TH will lack this. You will just keep on moving through the game and collecting.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's just too bad Too Human's difficulty is so uneven. I got through the first mission just fine but a few minutes into the second mission, there was a sudden spike in difficulty and the game suddenly stopped offering me helpful guidance. The next thing I know, I'm being pummeled by rockets that rained down on me from afar while elemental enemies exploded in my face and froze me in place. Oh, and my enemies were suddenly invulnerable to particular kinds of damage.

that sounds awesome. i was hoping the game wasnt going to be too easy.

PSGames

Gamespot:

The Good
A constant supply of interesting weapons and armor, Combat can be fun when it gets in a groove, Skill trees give you a lot of room to mold your character, Co-op play can be enjoyable as long as both players are around the same level.

The Bad
The story doesn't get interesting until the final minutes, Too many elements chop up the pace, Area attacks and status effects are poorly implemented, Ranged combat is unsatisfying.

ringlord

Those reviews were much more fulfilling than the 1up one; particularly giantbomb's and IGN's. The 5.5 made me cringe, but after reading them all, I'm still looking forward to the game.

I'll take about a week or so to finish the game solo (I get in about an hour or two of gaming a night, starting around 11pm EDT), but if anyone thinks they'll be up for some co-op after that, feel free to add me...

GT: ringlord

ringlord

_tetsuo_ said:

Agreed. The demo was more or less a cakewalk once you got the hang of the controls. Good to know the game can kick your butt later on.

I have to admit after reading some of the reviews... it sounds like 4 player coop would have added a whole lot to the experience. I think that might be the biggest hit.

Chrange

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:

Is that from a review? The guy weighing in on the game's worth didn't even know what Polarity enemies were about?

Chrange

Banned
FateBreaker said:
he had no idea what the point of playing was?

I've never really understood what the point of playing any game was. People keep saying it's to have fun, but how ridiculous a notion is that?

ringlord said:
Agreed. The demo was more or less a cakewalk once you got the hang of the controls. Good to know the game can kick your butt later on.

Yeah from the way enemy numbers ramp up and the introduction of stuns, knockbacks and de-buffs I think it should at least provide a reasonable challenge.

Chrange said:
Is that from a review? The guy weighing in on the game's worth didn't even know what Polarity enemies were about?
Speaking of the polarity enemies, I wonder if you were to do a 2in1 Slide to a Ruiner on one of the reverse combo meter enemies, would it take your combo BEFORE you got to pull off the ruiner? That could be interesting.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Xenon said:
I prefer PSO system of difficulty of NORMAL, HARD, VERY HARD. Taking on the hard levels early was a great challenge. Sure you could get through the first level and its boss if you tried hard, but the next level would kick your ass. So you had to loot and level to move forward. It was rewarding to finally pass that hurdle and move on. If the revew is acurate, TH will lack this. You will just keep on moving through the game and collecting.

Basically just like D2, you had your normal, nightmare, and hell levels. The great thing about systems like these are that when you get to that next difficulty you have the basic tools to survive. So you keep fighting through until you get good gear, and by then you're ready to start the next difficulty setting. So by the time you finish hell, you have a character that can destroy pretty much anything if built correctly and then begins the hunt for the best gear. But if the enemies are scaling as you go, how are you supposed to feel like a "badass" I guess. Unless the epic stuff really makes you that much more powerful to where the scaling becomes a non-factor.

Lykathea

Banned
^ Interesting point, however it seems reviews are inadequate in this regard since we can only assume the reviewers beat the single player once, and then sample some co-op for good measure. I guess what I am getting at is that the quality of high level play remains to be determined.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Lykathea said:
^ Interesting point, however it seems reviews are inadequate in this regard since we can only assume the reviewers beat the single player once, and then sample some co-op for good measure. I guess what I am getting at is that the quality of high level play remains to be determined.

Yeah, I don't think anyone outside of SK can really comment on this. Since it's pretty obvious from reading most reviews that the people playing didn't really scratch the surface in terms of max level combat/play.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Lykathea

Banned
Anyone notice that if you take the score of the GS review away (as well as remove 'oddity' from the author's vocabulary) that it reads surprisingly positively?

Mifune

Mehmber
Lykathea said:
Anyone notice that if you take the score of the GS review away (as well as remove 'oddity' from the author's vocabulary) that it reads surprisingly positively?

Yeah, the actual text isn't nearly as damning as the final grade.

Soroc

From all the reviews I've read I see nothing on customizable controls :( I'm assuming you can't then... Please Denis just give me a yes or no answer! :lol

Lykathea

Banned
Mifune said:
Yeah, the actual text isn't nearly as damning as the final grade.

This just relates back to the notion that scores are pretty useless, prose should be paramount.

Also soroc, don't expect the ability to customize controls--TH's appear to be set in stone.

Gattsu25

Banned
Gamespy - 2.5 / 5
Too Human is a treadmill. Lots (if not most) games are, but the failing of Too Human is that it doesn't mask its ceaseless procession of incredibly similar gameplay with either a unique narrative or anything else that might draw your attention away from the fact that you are smashing the same horde of monsters throughout. You may think that the overpopulated loot carousel could hold your interest, but Too Human misses the sweet spot of providing just enough meaningful pick-ups and shoots well past the obviously Diablo-inspired mechanics. By the end of a single playthrough, there's little to keep you coming back for more... assuming you even make it that far.
It almost feels like open contempt for the foundation on which role-playing games are built because you are completely robbed of any meaningful way to play a role. Case in point, the Commando class specializes in ranged weapons, but any Commando will quickly discover his unique ability to stop enemies in their tracks by rooting them to the ground totally useless when engaging a foe that is immune to ranged attacks... and enemies are routinely immune to ranged attacks. Root them to the floor all you want, they won't take any damage and their friends are probably already sharpening their claws on your esophagus.
Deprived of a decent storyline, innovative mechanics, and limited variation in either enemies or environments, Too Human is barely worthy of a weekend rental. It's an extremely repetitive treadmill set in a world you'll never get a chance to actually learn anything about thanks to the almost complete lack of exposition. Whatever points it scores for its somewhat interesting approach to combat are almost instantly retracted once you perform them for the umpteenth time on the same robot that fights in the same way. Unfortunately, Too Human can't even provide decent graphics at a consistent framerate, as graphical hitches and choppy visuals are a regular occurrence. All of these negatives leave little reason to recommend Too Human.

Chrange

Banned
Lykathea said:

In most cases, if the guy doing the reviews is the same one playing in the video that they captured, they're nowhere near 'high-level play' at all.

Soroc

Lykathea said:
Also soroc, don't expect the ability to customize controls--TH's appear to be set in stone.

Thanks for the response.... Not what I wanted to hear but came to expect it at this point... I was really hoping to map that jump button to a shoulder. It seems to cramp my hands trying to pull of juggles :( oh well no juggling classes for me i guess...

Chrange

Banned
It almost feels like open contempt for the foundation on which role-playing games are built because you are completely robbed of any meaningful way to play a role. Case in point, the Commando class specializes in ranged weapons, but any Commando will quickly discover his unique ability to stop enemies in their tracks by rooting them to the ground totally useless when engaging a foe that is immune to ranged attacks... and enemies are routinely immune to ranged attacks. Root them to the floor all you want, they won't take any damage and their friends are probably already sharpening their claws on your esophagus.

They complain there's no strategy to the game, then seem to show they don't understand how to play the class with any strategy. Root the immune one, kill those "friends" of his, and then finish him with melee. How freaking hard is it to comprehend basic strategy like that?

Lykathea

Banned
Just read the gamespy review. Now their is a tonally negative review to match the score.

It is interesting to see such inconsistency with the complaints across the board, some say the loot system blows because their is too much of it, others say it is by far the best aspect of the game; some praise the story, others think it is poorly written, ho-hum trash .

Lykathea

Banned
Chrange said:
They complain there's no strategy to the game, then seem to show they don't understand how to play the class with any strategy. Root the immune one, kill those "friends" of his, and then finish him with melee. How freaking hard is it to comprehend basic strategy like that?

Yeah I seem to recall Garnett complaining of the monotony in the game as well, and then DD explaining how the tactical strategy actually works in the game.

In some ways it appears that TH may be too subtle in its design choices to pander to the masses in a more effective way. For the rest of us, this 'curse' may in fact be a blessing.

Top Bottom