• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Chrange said:
They complain there's no strategy to the game, then seem to show they don't understand how to play the class with any strategy. Root the immune one, kill those "friends" of his, and then finish him with melee. How freaking hard is it to comprehend basic strategy like that?

Ya i picked up on stuff like that in a few of the reviews. People never played a crawler before? Take out fodder first then take care of dangerous ones.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I suspect that TH will be the next 'God Hand'; as in a game that is reviled by most in the press and a good chunk of gamers but will endear itself thoroughly and indelibly to those susceptible to its charms.

The Tokyo Xtreme Racer series was like that to me. It was panned by the majority of publications and scorned by most of the gaming cognoscenti but for some reason it resonated with me in ways no other racing series has.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 still stands as the greatest racing game ever made.

border

Lykathea said:
In some ways it appears that TH may be too subtle in its design choices to pander to the masses in a more effective way.
This line of defense for the game is not really going to go over well.

It seems like there is a lot about the game that just doesn't get explained to the player. I've read a lot about Too Human and I still don't get what all this "polarity" stuff is.

Witchfinder General said:
I suspect that TH will be the next 'God Hand'; as in a game that is reviled by most in the press and a good chunk of gamers but will endear itself thoroughly and indelibly to those susceptible to its charms.

God Hand got good reviews from alot of places, Gamespot, 1up (comparitively) and Eurogamer gave it an 8. Edge gave it a 7, which is an 8 by anyone elses standards. Too Humans best review is IGN at 7.8, and IGN scores mean very little.

Lykathea

Banned
border said:
This line of defense for the game is not really going to go over well.

It seems like there is a lot about the game that just doesn't get explained to the player. I've read a lot about Too Human and I still don't get what all this "polarity" stuff is.

It is not a line of defence, it is merely a summary of what seems to be a mounting problem cited by mainstream press outlets--a problem that may or may not be a problem at all, depending on perspective.

Also, polarity just refers to opposites. For instance in TH their are enemies with an ice 'polarity' as well as others with a fire polarity. I wouldn't be surprised if their is also other variations such as light and dark for instance. Obviously each of these polarities carries with it distinct status effects (i.e. freezing enemies, explosive enemies) that can fundamentally influence how one plays the game.

Chipopo

Banned
Lykathea said:
Yeah I seem to recall Garnett complaining of the monotony in the game as well, and then DD explaining how the tactical strategy actually works in the game.

In some ways it appears that TH may be too subtle in its design choices to pander to the masses in a more effective way. For the rest of us, this 'curse' may in fact be a blessing.

Perhaps just as Shakespeare's classic works had content for both the masses and the elite (as Dyack himself often points out!!), Too Human caters to both brutish reviewer and refined neoGAF board member "Lykathea"!

Lykathea

Banned
TheHeretic said:
God Hand got good reviews from alot of places, Gamespot, 1up (comparitively) and Eurogamer gave it an 8. Edge gave it a 7, which is an 8 by anyone elses standards. Too Humans best review is IGN at 7.8, and IGN scores mean very little.

Don't forget Gamepro, Gameplayer and the more obscure Eastern European presses.

Lykathea

Banned
Chipopo said:
Perhaps just as Shakespeare's classic works had content for both the masses and the elite (as Dyack himself often points out!!), Too Human caters to both brutish reviewer and refined neoGAF board member "Lykathea"!

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Well done.

Lebron

Witchfinder General said:
The Tokyo Xtreme Racer series was like that to me. It was panned by the majority of publications and scorned by most of the gaming cognoscenti but for some reason it resonated with me in ways no other racing series has.
Same for me, love that series to death(Kaido Battle as well). It's my guilty pleasure, like Kingdom Hearts:lol

I've played the hell out of the demo these last couple of days, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the final game. Was going to pick this up from my work, but then found out about the Toys' R Us Buy 1 Get 1 Half off sale they got going this week. So they gets my money. Figure I'll get this, and Ninja Gaiden II, which sadly I haven't played yet. Yeah, I'm sorry :/

oh and my GT is BlackSTYX. I'll have to purchase a new gold subscription while I'm at it, since I've been mostly on PSN these days :p

Philthy

Mifune said:
I've known about the leveling of monsters for like forever. Why is this news now?

Honestly I didn't know about it either. The entire fun behind getting kickass awesome loot is so you can go back and totally obliterate the bosses that gave you some problems earlier in the game. If they scale up with you, and still cause a pain in the ass then it really doesn't matter if your kickass stat boosts are just barely making you squeek past instead of one shotting the crap out of the boss with a huge smile on your face.

I must have put in close to a hundred hours or more into Diablo 2 just trying to get my guy outfitted in the best equipment possible so that I could go back and just farm the crap out of the bosses to get even better loot. If they had scaled with me, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Philthy said:
Honestly I didn't know about it either. The entire fun behind getting kickass awesome loot is so you can go back and totally obliterate the bosses that gave you some problems earlier in the game. If they scale up with you, and still cause a pain in the ass then it really doesn't matter if your kickass stat boosts are just barely making you squeek past instead of one shotting the crap out of the boss with a huge smile on your face.

I must have put in close to a hundred hours or more into Diablo 2 just trying to get my guy outfitted in the best equipment possible so that I could go back and just farm the crap out of the bosses to get even better loot. If they had scaled with me, I wouldn't have even bothered.

I don't know, Oblivion's enemies scaled with you but towards the end of the game I had loot and skills that allowed me to obliterate any foe (boss or otherwise) who so much as looked at me cock-eyed.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Philthy said:

Basically what I posted on the previous page. I'm still trying to figure out how this was a good idea for a game with this type of structure and focus.

Eric WK

Philthy said:

They scale with your level, not your gear, afaik.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Eric WK said:
They scale with your level, not your gear, afaik.

But how is it any different say when I'm lvl 10 with the best gear for that level compared to lvl50 with the best gear for that lvl, doesn't it just boil down to the same outcome since the enemies are always at your current lvl?

Kingpen

I really was looking forward to the concept of this game, but common sense is telling my wallet hand that if I wait a little bit (probably a month), I am probably going to be able to get this game for somewhere around 30 bucks because of how many people will be influenced by reviews and trade it in.

I already got spurned by Don King's Prizefighter this year, I think I'm going to wait this one out (thank god Mercenaries is out next week) and use my preorder money on NHL 09.

Eric WK

purg3 said:
But how is it any different say when I'm lvl 10 with the best gear for that level compared to lvl50 with the best gear for that lvl, doesn't it just boil down to the same outcome since the enemies are always at your current lvl?

But you're not always going to have the best gear for your level. I was more or less addressing the "I want to go back and beat the shit out of bosses that killed me" line of thinking, rather than the "Why would they take out any kind of challenge" line of thinking. The latter I agree with wholeheartedly.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
All the known reviews are in the OP now, I think. Including PC World's: http://www.pcworld.com/article/1497...ased_on_norse_mythology_has_feet_of_clay.html

Beware of trying to read it though, their Web site is set up horribly. You have to go to a new page just to read the next paragraph of the review. The short of it is that they thought it was an average game:

PC Gamer said:
Should you bother with Too Human? As a dungeon crawl game, it's average with flaws. Subtract the flaws, and it's still too short (the campaign takes just 8 or 9 hours), poorly narrated, and mechanically redundant (yes, even for a hack-and-slash). With a buddy, it's better, but not quite "sixty-bucks-times-two" better. Silicon Knights designed Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, but a couple of hits doesn't make a company infallible. Think of Too Human as a warm-up game you can miss (without missing much) and wait for the second and third episodes in the trilogy.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Kingpen said:
I really was looking forward to the concept of this game, but common sense is telling my wallet hand that if I wait a little bit (probably a month), I am probably going to be able to get this game for somewhere around 30 bucks because of how many people will be influenced by reviews and trade it in.

I already got spurned by Don King's Prizefighter this year, I think I'm going to wait this one out (thank god Mercenaries is out next week) and use my preorder money on NHL 09.

I'm kinda feeling the same way. But I'm more worried about Mercenaries than I am about Too Human.
I think at this point I'm buying Too Human just to support Dyack. I find him entertaining and anyone that has enough balls to just throw himself in the fire all the time deserves my money.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
http://www.nzgamer.com/x360/reviews/742/too-human.html

So, when all is said and done, is it a good game? You bet it is. Sure, it's not everything to everyone and it's not without it's weird glitches (the camera, the generally woeful cutscenes, etc) or even the occasional bug (getting stuck in place which required a restart, for example) but what's there is great fun. The combat is fast, frantic and fun, requiring you to think and move quickly, and each of the classes are very different to play. Sure there's not much variety in the type of bad guys you come up against but the enemies which are present are generally very nice to look at and very satisfying to obliterate with your weapon of choice. It's easily the best action RPG on the 360 and arguably the best on any of the modern consoles. If you're looking for something to tide you over until Diablo III gets here, you could do a lot worse.

ArsTechnica's review is up, verdict is Buy. Well written, as is to be expected from the likes of Ars, clocking in at a whopping three pages, and it certainly does help that the writer, Frank Caron, has a bit of a background in Norse Mythology, letting him expound a bit more on the story. Can't say I've been reading everything out there, but it is the best critique I've seen so far.

Eric WK

Peronthious said:
ArsTechnica's review is up, verdict is Buy. Well written, as is to be expected from the likes of Ars, clocking in at a whopping three pages, and it certainly does help that the writer, Frank Caron, has a bit of a background in Norse Mythology, letting him expound a bit more on the story. Can't say I've been reading everything out there, but it is the best critique I've seen so far.

What a breath of fresh air reading this is. Thanks for the link.

Oh and...

ars_th_8.jpg

Eric WK said:

Oh and...

ars_th_8.jpg

Daaaamn that's nice.

As one isolated example, a section early on in the game which was empty on the first play-through is filled on the second play-through with a labyrinth that houses tough enemies and great rewards.

So is that!

Unfortunately, this doesn't hold for the bosses, which are all disappointingly boring bouts that are endured rather than triumphed over.

I was afraid of this. The little encounters with minibosses we had in the demo were a bit underwhelming.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Read the review. Its the most informative one out there so far, and seems to be the one most in line with my impressions from the demo. Not a 10, but still a pretty good game that could have been better. Really hope it does well so SK can finish it out.

border

Interesting tidbit:

Additionally, there is an Xbox Live section for the in-game vendors which reveals that additional downloadable items will be on the way.

Eric WK

border said:
Interesting tidbit:

Additionally, there is an Xbox Live section for the in-game vendors which reveals that additional downloadable items will be on the way.

Yeah, I really don't like the idea of DLC weapons and armor.

Give me a small expansion with new loot, bosses, environments and fifteen new achievements and I'm there day one, but I'm not paying 80 points for a new sword.

I'm getting this the day it comes out. I'm in the UK and anyone who wants to add me can: huntersblades.

This and Sacred 2 will provide me and my 360 with some serious loot hunting fun.

Mifune

Mehmber
Eric WK said:
Yeah, I really don't like the idea of DLC weapons and armor.

Give me a small expansion with new loot, bosses, environments and fifteen new achievements and I'm there day one, but I'm not paying 80 points for a new sword.

Agreed.

This could provide gamers with ass rapery the likes of which they haven't seen since...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
border said:
Interesting tidbit:

Ya i saw that. Horse armor confirmed :eek:

VaLiancY

That ArsTech review was an entertaining read, Not because it was more positive off the bunch but it went in depth about story, gameplay and setting. I'm also surprised how he ended the game with a level 28, which means there is a lot more to be played
and items to be looted

VaLiancY said:
That ArsTech review was an entertaining read, Not because it was more positive off the bunch but it went in depth about story, gameplay and setting. I'm also surprised how he ended the game with a level 28, which means there is a lot more to be played
and items to be looted

Plus it was the first real mention of the changing playfield on subsequent times through.

Chrange

Banned
Eric WK said:

Oh and...

ars_th_8.jpg

Hey look, it's the area in the Aesir hub where you can practice. I wonder why other reviews said there was no way to do that.

LTTP, but played the demo for the first time. Ranged attack weapons felt hard to aim. I would auto-lock on one guy, kill him, and then let go of RT, press it again to lock onto the other guy. Is that what we're supposed to do? I would have hoped that holding down RT and flicking the right analog stick could just jump it to the next target, but that just wildly moved the gun into that direction instead of locking on.

Chrange

Banned
You can free aim by moving the stick or snap on to someone by releasing and pulling the right trigger. A lot of the time I'd snap on to someone on the right side of the mob, then run around to the left while shooting - cutting down anyone in between.

Xenon

Interesting night for sure. I hope everyone's store gets stocked tomorrow/today.(My EB said they will have it by noon:D) Also congrats SK & Dennis on the game's release and wish ya the best of luck on sales.

Tomorrow reviews & forum BS become meaningless! woot! Ok just the reviews.

bathala

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Pre-ordered at Best Buy for the armor but still goingn to wait to get it from Gamefly.
I was thinking the same thing today but hesitated. Also Fable pre-order bonus was available

SpokkX

One thing that hasn´t been answered is this:

Is there an incentive to get to level 50 besides getting armor/weapons?

There are 4 (large) levels and no more areas open up as you get stronger?

Chrange

Banned
At 50 you get access to the epic sets, I think.

You really expected something other than the best loot, in a loot-centric game?

Top Bottom