• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally had a little more time to play last night and got through Grendel. I wasn't even close to being killed as i fought him (I'm a Commando). I imagine I will be in for a wake up call in the Ice Forest.

I wonder what the DLC plan will be. I imagine just gear considering in the store there is a tab for it.

I'm glad MS is commited to the triology. With some more polish, etc. The series could be really amazing.

Riddler

eznark said:
I'm convinced at this point that it has nothing to do with 2 player being better. There are so many technical issues with just the single player play that I just don't think the game could handle 4 player.

Also, it gives them a hook for Too Human Too

Yea DD was talking about real estate issues, but these levels are HUGE! Way bigger than most levels in PSO/PSU.

Anyways, yea i'm sure 4 player co-op will be in the sequal.

fin

Finished it last night. Around 12ish hours @ level 29. End boss was meh, but the sub boss was pretty cool. By the end of the game you'll be wishing for more Too Human, big time. I wouldn't say it's a cliff hanger ending; it's more The Empire Stirkes Back than Matrix Reloaded. You get a good ending but you know that there is SO much more to tell.

I thought the story was very entertaining by videogame standards, some of the cinemas are sorta poorly done. All the voice acting and dialog scenes work well. It's just some of the action scenes that lack polish. My biggest dissapoinment in the game isn't the story it's some of the bosses and the undead enemies.

My favorate level was the Ice Forest. *gasp* The encounters were so great. But I liked the art direction for each one. They were so crazy.

But yeah I'll be looking for some coop tonight, I wanna get my champion to lvl 50 and start a Defender or Berserker.

ringlord said:
There are doors you can break open to get to hidden arenas. They'll look like square blocks and will have a little glowing thing on them... lol, sorry I can't think of any way better to describe them.

The first one (I think) is right after you hit that jump pad that takes you to the first big spider enemy. After defeating it, there's one on the wall almost directly opposite the jump pad. Once you see one, you should be able to pick out others without too much difficulty.

They're kinda like the arenas from the first level -- there's some mist there and you have to hit 'A' to enter. No time limit on the ones I've hit, but there are tons of enemies and multiple levels to get past before you reach the top level and find those loot obelisks.
Rad. Thanks.

eznark

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
See, I have very few issues with the actual game play. I have nits to pick with other aspects of the game, but I'm actually really enjoying the gameplay itself, which is maybe why I think 4 player would have been great.

But yeah, I agree, it's a checkbox for TH2 for sure.

the core mechanic is great, what I mean is that I'm not sure silicon knights possesses the ability to make it work, judging the game technically as a whole. Clearly I hope I'm wrong.

ringlord said:
When you get to level 2 and are picking yourself up off the ground for the ump-teenth time after a rocket or troll slams you, think back to these words and remember...

I roll....alot :D

Oh and for whoever asked about the ideal camera....I've moved from ISO to Strategic. Seems like the best of taking distance when a fight occurs, but then closing in again during exploration...which plays better to the game's cinematic flair and level design

Just got the game last night and fucking loved it even though I didn't care for the demo. I've only beat level 1, boss was the only hard part. The rest of the level was too easy. I'm playing as a berserker and loving the class even though I'm only level 9.

"dunno....though Defenders are supposed to pull more aggro according their write-up"

I was a berserker and I died like 4 times because as soon as I mounted the one the other would start swinging wildly and knock me off.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"dunno....though Defenders are supposed to pull more aggro according their write-up"

I was a berserker and I died like 4 times because as soon as I mounted the one the other would start swinging wildly and knock me off.
Sometimes shooting at the one and backing away can lure it away from its comrades.

"Sometimes shooting at the one and backing away can lure it away from its comrades."

Shot it a little but my berserker does so little ballistic damage and it didn't seem to want to leave it's buddy. I've never seen a game where the more you level the harder it gets. I'm getting my ass kicked so much harder in the ice level the second time around then the first. :lol

By the way is there anyone online right now that wants to do co-op? I still haven't tried it out.

Charm questions:

1) Do completed charms have an effect even if they're not currently equipped?
2) Can you insert tier 1 charms into tier 2 charm?

Been reading up on this a little bit, but I don't understand the mechanics completely.

"Charm questions:

1) Do completed charms have an effect even if they're not currently equipped?
2) Can you insert tier 1 charms into tier 2 charm?

Been reading up on this a little bit, but I don't understand the mechanics completely."

1. As far as I know they do not.
2. Do you mean insert runes into a charm? I don't think you can insert a charm into a charm no matter what the level. IF you meant runes then no you have to use the runes that correspond with what level charm you are inserting into. Lvl 1 > Lvl1, Lvl 2 > Lvl 2, etc. If you go to insert into a level 2 charm it will gray out everything but level 2 runes.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
1. As far as I know they do not.
2. Do you mean insert runes into a charm? I don't think you can insert a charm into a charm no matter what the level. IF you meant runes then no you have to use the runes that correspond with what level charm you are inserting into. Lvl 1 > Lvl1, Lvl 2 > Lvl 2, etc. If you go to insert into a level 2 charm it will gray out everything but level 2 runes.
It's just a few things that I was reading on another forum. Not sure how much truth there is to it. Someone claimed to have put a charm into another charm, but I'm not sure if they're mistaken.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tobor said:
I picked it up last night, and my impressions are in line with most everyone here. It's a shaky, awkward, super fun mess. I'm in the ice forest, and I'm loving it.

Is there a GT list for this? I want to go looting with some people this weekend.

My GT: eric of doom

Read my OP. =(

"It's just a few things that I was reading on another forum. Not sure how much truth there is to it. Someone claimed to have put a charm into another charm, but I'm not sure if they're mistaken."

Hmm, I haven't heard about anything like that and I have level 2 and level 1 charms and it never let me put in completed level one charms into a level 2 charm.

I just collected 1,000,000 bounty! :D

C Jones

Cornballer said:
It's just a few things that I was reading on another forum. Not sure how much truth there is to it. Someone claimed to have put a charm into another charm, but I'm not sure if they're mistaken.
Taken from Chris Paladino's tips on the gamerscore blog: "Charm system confusing? Equip the charm, then "complete" it by inserting the proper runes into it after you have accomplished the specific objective for that charm. Rare charms need common charms inserted into them rather than runes."

C Jones said:
Taken from Chris Paladino's tips on the gamerscore blog: "Charm system confusing? Equip the charm, then "complete" it by inserting the proper runes into it after you have accomplished the specific objective for that charm. Rare charms need common charms inserted into them rather than runes."
Ah, thanks. That clears it up.

C Jones said:

Man... I feel like I'm constantly learning more shit about things you can do in this game. Crazy!

Also last night me and a buddy tried the final level and damn... that one seemed rather long. We stopped at the halfway point. It was a nice level... Hell I think all the levels looks rather unique and cool. I just wish there were more of them already.

In a perfect world, the Too Human trilogy would be basically done and released ala the .hack series. Every few months. Instead we gotta wait for an eternity... NOESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Soroc

OMG!!!

I looked at those secret doors too and never though to hit them!!!! argghhhhh. I might have to start lvl 2 over again now :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lvl 2 charms take completed lvl 1 charms instead on runes. Some of the effects are cool though, like emp burst when u get hit and mind control on enemies when u hit them.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Man... I feel like I'm constantly learning more shit about things you can do in this game. Crazy!

Also last night me and a buddy tried the final level and damn... that one seemed rather long. We stopped at the halfway point. It was a nice level... Hell I think all the levels looks rather unique and cool. I just wish there were more of them already.

In a perfect world, the Too Human trilogy would be basically done and released ala the .hack series. Every few months. Instead we gotta wait for an eternity... NOESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hopefully "Eternity" won't be as long as it took for Too Human 1 to be released. :lol

And a bit Off Topic, but Zaraki_Kenpachi isn't quicker and easier to just hit the "Quote" button rather than cutting and pasting in what someone else wrote?

_tetsuo_ said:
lvl 2 charms take completed lvl 1 charms instead on runes. Some of the effects are cool though, like emp burst when u get hit and mind control on enemies when u hit them.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Someone help me out.

So there is the runes, which you can put in weapons and armor. Then there are the charms, of which you can equip 2 at a time. Now each charm has a quest aka "kill 100 enemies with balasitcs" I get that but then once thats done and the quest is completed. I'm sorta confused. What does that do to the charm? and how can you put a charm within a charm? and didn't someone say you can also put runes in charms as well?

Kung Fu Jedi said:
And a bit Off Topic, but Zaraki_Kenpachi isn't quicker and easier to just hit the "Quote" button rather than cutting and pasting in what someone else wrote?

I always wondered the same thing lol. Perhaps his preference?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Someone help me out.

So there is the runes, which you can put in weapons and armor. Then there are the charms, of which you can equip 2 at a time. Now each charm has a quest aka "kill 100 enemies with balasitcs" I get that but then once thats done and the quest is completed. I'm sorta confused. What does that do to the charm? and how can you put a charm within a charm? and didn't someone say you can also put runes in charms as well?

I always wondered the same thing lol. Perhaps his preference?

1) equip the charm
2) fulfil the requirements
3) slot in the required runes
4) reap the benefit

Minor rune question: once inserted in a piece of equipment, you can't "un-insert" it, right?

Edit: also, right now i have 2 charm slots. Do you get more as u level up or what?

"lvl 2 charms take completed lvl 1 charms instead on runes. Some of the effects are cool though, like emp burst when u get hit and mind control on enemies when u hit them."

Crap, looks like you're right. I should have kept more charms of different designs. -_-

"Did anyone pick up the guide for the game? Does it go into detail about the stuff people are discussing??"

I can try to let you know later today, due to all the questions I had I was going to pick it up today if my eb still has any left.

Francias Castiglione said:
1) equip the charm
2) fulfil the requirements
3) slot in the required runes
4) reap the benefit

Maybe the OP can update with a few of these tips because I think alot of people might not figure this stuff out on their own. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't realize I could equip runes to charms.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Did anyone pick up the guide for the game? Does it go into detail about the stuff people are discussing??"

I can try to let you know later today, due to all the questions I had I was going to pick it up today if my eb still has any left.

Cool, thanks! I kind of wish my weekend wasn't so busy...need more time to play Too Human.

Its really going to be a crazy fall for games...for me I think more so than last year.

eznark

Banned

blew my mind
Its really going to be a crazy fall for games...for me I think more so than last year.

Shit, from this week until the end of October I think I will be getting at least one game a week.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Next month I will be picking up Viva, NHL 09 and Brothers in Arms. I'll probably wait on Rock Band 2. Then there is Fable 2, Fallout 3, GoW2, Banjo, Left 4 Dead....too many good games. Plus Too Human will hours and hours of fun!

fin

I can't get this out of my head, I just wanna go home and play more.

For the sequel I wanna see more enemy types. They don't need to be brand new but like new genre of current enemies. Here's a free one SK :)

I would love to see some flying/hovering goblins. I would also like to be able to deflect the missles with my melee. So if a flying enemy would show up shooting missles, you could lock on and slide at it either deflecting it back towards the emeny, or you could follow a missle trail towards the enemy. Making your way towards it by ping-pong from missle to missle and eventually making your way to the enemy. That may make a good boss fight actually...

I'd also like to see goblins riding in vehicles, giant vehicles, like the size of the Azeir tanks. That would be cool to have to take one of those down.

Shins

Banned
About halfway through W3 and about nine hours on the clock. I don't feel like I've been going too slow, so I don't know how this was completed in ten hours.

Still having a good time, but damn it, I turned off the game in a huff last night after getting the the very end of one of the challenge areas, seeing the obelisk before me, and being a cm or two within the range of a troll's smash. Dead.

Bastard.

Philthy

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Maybe the OP can update with a few of these tips because I think alot of people might not figure this stuff out on their own. Just a suggestion.

Jesus, I had no idea about any of this and I'm almost done with my first play through.

fin said:
For the sequel I wanna see more enemy types. They don't need to be brand new but like new genre of current enemies. Here's a free one SK :)

I agree with this as well. I want to see something like Diablo 2. Where each act has its own unique creatures, about a half dozen or so, with a combination of ones from previous Acts.

:OOOOOOOOOOO Not fair, how the hell are berserker supposed to kill the ice trolls with the big thing on their back? My gun only does one damage and I can't get around it to hit the big tank on it's back to mount it.

_tetsuo_ said:
Some of the effects are cool though, like emp burst when u get hit and mind control on enemies when u hit them.
Oh most definitely. I only have the weak ones right now (freeze enemies, etc...), but it's sure nice in the middle of a firefight to put a dark elf on the sidelines for a few seconds while you deal with someone else.
Fistwell said:
Minor rune question: once inserted in a piece of equipment, you can't "un-insert" it, right?
Correct. They're one use only.
Edit: also, right now i have 2 charm slots. Do you get more as u level up or what?
Did we start with two? I only remember having two, but maybe I didn't check at early levels.

Xenon

Shins said:
About halfway through W3 and about nine hours on the clock. I don't feel like I've been going too slow, so I don't know how this was completed in ten hours.

Still having a good time, but damn it, I turned off the game in a huff last night after getting the the very end of one of the challenge areas, seeing the obelisk before me, and being a cm or two within the range of a troll's smash. Dead.

Bastard.

And it sucks that you can't go back.

One thing about this game there is so much shit that I forget about using half the things in Baldur's arsenal. They need pop ups like “Don’t forget to use your spider” or “charm quest complete” to remind me.

edit: Do charms work for projectiles as well or only melee?

Xenon said:
One thing about this game there is so much shit that I forget about using half the things in Baldur's arsenal. They need pop ups like “Don’t forget to use your spider” or “charm quest complete” to remind me.
Definitely happens to me, too. I need to remember to use all of the weapons at my disposal because I typically neglect my spider, battle cry, and sentient weapon. All of which are very useful in certain situations. Probably the reason why I'm dying so much. :D

Top Bottom