• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

mm04

AgentOtaku said:
so why the hell are you in here then?

I don't understand posts like that. There was an official demo impressions thread if I'm not mistaken. I purchased the game, but haven't played it yet because I'm out of town. I did like the demo and I'm hopeful I'll enjoy the retail version.

Saying that people with negative impressions are afraid to post in here for fear to be banned, I think that's ridiculous. I'll be sure to post my impressions, both positive and negative because I'm entitled to since I paid for a copy. This is the official game thread. If you played a retail copy, come on in and state your feelings on it. Just don't come in here and say the people who do enjoy it are crazy, because there's no place for that in here.

This thread is making me want to buy the game. My hunger for loot must be fulfilled (that, and I enjoyed the demo). Should I go for the asian version? Won't I pay a bit more if it stops in customs?

Black_Ice said:
All the power to those who are enjoying it and I'm glad you made a worthwhile purchase...

...With that said, the demo fucking sucked.

Thanks for dropping by!

Cj70

I played the demo and hated it first time but the second time i played it I started to understand it more and enjoyed it, now i'm completely hooked.

Unfortunately I have to wait till next Friday to get it :( stupid release dates, Microsoft are usually simultaneous worldwide launches aren't they?

Anyway my friend is gonna get it too and we'll both play single player first then go for coop.

Any classes/combinations/whatever you think we should avoid? Like ones that suck in the final game lol.

Also is the story as bad as people are saying or is it worth playing through or just go straight for coop instead?

eznark

Banned
I'm not really far into the story, but it's interesting (in terms of a video game story). Even the voice acting isn't all bad. I think the biggest problem people are having (and this is definitely my biggest gripe) is with the animations during the cut scenes. Absolutely atrocious.

Naeblish

inertiatic said:
This thread is making me want to buy the game. My hunger for loot must be fulfilled (that, and I enjoyed the demo). Should I go for the asian version? Won't I pay a bit more if it stops in customs?
Yeah, last time i had to pay about 10-15 euro more, still cheaper then retail here in europe but if they catch it you will also be waiting 3-4 weeks on the game in stead of the usual 6-10 days.
Can't wait for the 29th.

Taking a temporary break from my regularly scheduled Obscure JSBX Referencing Castle Crashers Avatar
2ntwhdx.jpg

for a Slightly Less Obscure LOST Referencing Too Human Avatar
55ma15.jpg

Truant

I'm playing the demo again this weeked to hold me off untill the final game arrives. I sure hope they add 4-play co-op now that they see how much the fans want it.

Spoo

I picked Too Human up today (I traded in Haze for it, but didn't realize the irony until I came home). Here goes:

I was one of those people who were, I guess, very outspoken against Denis Dyack throughout his time here. I will say this: I don't necessarily take back anything I said about Denis, but I think I can take back a few of the things I said about Too Human. It's not a great game, but it's far from piss poor, and a long shot from utterly attrocious.

That's not to say that there aren't elements of Too Human that ARE piss poor and utterly attrocious, and I think a lot of the reviews nailed those things. The camera is bad, controls are iffy at best, animations still stink, and what little story there is thus far (I just finished the second area) is standard fare and poorly represented.

The trick is, and this is where I have to admit to proposing otherwise, it actually is fun. It's dumb fun. I could sit down and rant for hours about everything that Too Human really does do wrong, but instead I've been playing the game for hours and hours. Despite the bad -- and there IS lots of bad here -- it's easy to look past it when you get in the 'zone' with Too Human. In some ways, you adapt to its shortcomings: you force the camera to be good; you ignore the story; you master the controls and bend them to your will. It's not ideal, but it's easier to have fun with Too Human and experience what, essentially, is a shaky Diablo-esque sci-fi rpg when you do your best to ignore the crap that comes with it.

Granted, I was able to do the exact same thing with Haze, and there will be some players who cannot deal with the problems here. It's a VERY repetitive game so far (I don't think that'll change), and there's a lot of decisons SK made that just... don't make sense. But whatever, if you can deal with a deeply flawed yet strangely compelling game in terms of core gameplay, then I pretty much recommend it.

Never thought I would.

eznark

Banned
I played some of Haze as well and I think the difference is that I had dozens of mediocre shooters to choose from if I just wanted a shooter that I hadn't played yet. I don't really know where else to get the fun that Too Human is offering right now...which is also why I am playing the dated-before-it-arrived Space *click* Siege *click* right now.

It's a fun that isn't offered anywhere else.

So I beat Hod.

Yeah, Grendllz was MUCH harder and much more annoying. With a nice rifle and grenades, getting to the final stage of the fight wasn't much of a problem, and at that point, Hod didn't put up TOO annoying of a fight.

And I actually didn't hate the story afterwards. Kind of interesting stuff although, again, pretty terribly executed.

There was this point when Mark Millar was writing Ultimate X-Men and The Authority at the same time. The Authority was drawn by Frank Quitely, UXM by an at-the-time struggling Adam Kubert. It got the point where I had to read UXM imagining the pages drawn by Frank Quitely. That's kind of what I'm doing with Too Human. My brain is pulling together the story threads and imagining them in my head in a much more interestingly presented way.

I'm Level 19 and, shock horror, I was actually excited to go shopping at Aesir Corp. I'm at about 6 hours so, at halfway through the game, it looks like the game is certainly long enough on its own, not factoring in the inevitability of one if not several more playthroughs.

Hate this thread now, ran through the demo last night again and let out a sigh as I reached the end. :(

BenjaminBirdie said:
Taking a temporary break from my regularly scheduled Obscure JSBX Referencing Castle Crashers Avatar
2ntwhdx.jpg

for a Slightly Less Obscure LOST Referencing Too Human Avatar
55ma15.jpg

Should be "FUN" because you know that isn't real fun you're having!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Hey Benjamin Birdie you should change the color of the words, it's hard to read.

I went back and forth with a lot of options and that seemed to be the best option. I'll probably be going back to the CC one soon anyway. The whole thing game out a bit too dark anyways. It's hard to get see through words to work on such a relatively dark image.

Can anyone tell me why some of the rune's say certain things on them. For example, there's one rune that says "secret Area 0/1" another that says kill bosses 0/3. Do I need to wear equip those runes? I just don't get that. Having fun with Too Human though.:)

FoeHammer

eznark said:
I'm not really far into the story, but it's interesting (in terms of a video game story). Even the voice acting isn't all bad. I think the biggest problem people are having (and this is definitely my biggest gripe) is with the animations during the cut scenes. Absolutely atrocious.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I'm actually enjoying Baldur's voice acting and the story seems interesting even though I have no freaking idea what's going on.

The animations throw it off though. Pretty poorly done in a lot of cases.

"Can anyone tell me why some of the rune's say certain things on them. For example, there's one rune that says "secret Area 0/1" another that says kill bosses 0/3. Do I need to wear equip those runes? I just don't get that. Having fun with Too Human though.:)"

Do you mean charms? I think only charms have those.

Tobor

I picked it up last night, and my impressions are in line with most everyone here. It's a shaky, awkward, super fun mess. I'm in the ice forest, and I'm loving it.

Is there a GT list for this? I want to go looting with some people this weekend.

My GT: eric of doom

Wizman23

Banned
So Strategic camera or ISO whats the verdict? I switch back all the time between the 2 and can't make up my mind on what to stick with.

eznark

Banned
Tobor said:
I picked it up last night, and my impressions are in line with most everyone here. It's a shaky, awkward, super fun mess. I'm in the ice forest, and I'm loving it.

Is there a GT list for this? I want to go looting with some people this weekend.

My GT: eric of doom

TooHuman NeoGaf

I'm not planning on playing any multiplayer til I get done with the story mode, which probably won't be til next weekend.

I really can't wait for the sales data.

agreed

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
Yeah, I meant charms. The one's you fit into individual weapons and armour.

No, that's the thing. Think of a charm like a brooch or something. You're already wearing it, but until you insert runes INTO it AND complete its requirements (listed) it won't work.

The game friggin rocked. And then i got to the second boss, which was an exercise in tedium.
But, yeah, the game looks a lot better than reviews suggested. A lot of the issues are pretty obvious, and i can understand how some could get stuck on them.
But, the camera's been perfectly fine so far (could have been better in some spots, but i've played games w/ right stick cam control that had worse camera problems), controls were sloppy only until i got a hang of them (i consistently do pretty much exactly what i intend to do), there's reasonable variety in the opposition so far (end of second level), a lot of loot, but nowhere near too-much-argh-omg-wtf.
And the game is awesome fun in stretches.
I'd be, like, totally FOR, if it hadnt been for that goddamned second boss.

BenjaminBirdie said:
No, that's the thing. Think of a charm like a brooch or something. You're already wearing it, but until you insert runes INTO it AND complete its requirements (listed) it won't work.
Oh, ok, that makes sense. I probably should read the manual at some point. I had the "quest-ish" side of it down, but i had not realized i had to slot runes in.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm still enjoying myself as well, but I was starting to get annoyed at how many times I died during that fight in the Ice Forest where you take on a hammer troll and a cannon troll, coupled with a ton of those green dudes that shoot at ya. Damn that was tough. Perhaps I'm not controlling my Berserker correctly, but I fail to see how I could be doing things different.

Having a blast, though!

PhatSaqs

Banned
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31545/Too-Human-trilogy-very-exciting-says-Microsoft

"Too Human trilogy ‘very exciting’, says Microsoft"

Platform holder confirms planned series is still very much alive; Compares story to Star Wars and LOTR

Microsoft has confirmed to MCV that it is committed to releasing a trilogy of Too Human games – and compared the narrative pull of the story to Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings.

Reviews have begun to come in for the first title online, from sites such as IGN, GameSpy, GameSpot, 1Up, CVG and Eurogamer – and Microsoft’s head o gaming and entertainment Stephen McGill has said that the firm is “very excited” by the franchise’s prospects.

He told MCV: “Microsoft Game Studios and Silicon Knights are committed to finishing the first instalment, but Too Human is an overarching epic with a rich and vast game universe that cannot be told in one instalment.

“This game will begin the saga of the god Baldur in the narrative tradition of classic trilogies, such as Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings. We will talk about the full trilogy and we are very excited about its potential.”
Wow?

Diseased Yak said:
I'm still enjoying myself as well, but I was starting to get annoyed at how many times I died during that fight in the Ice Forest where you take on a hammer troll and a cannon troll, coupled with a ton of those green dudes that shoot at ya. Damn that was tough. Perhaps I'm not controlling my Berserker correctly, but I fail to see how I could be doing things different.

Having a blast, though!

That was by far the hardest spot for my Berserker. I never used grenades, though.

FoeHammer said:
I was thinking the same thing last night. I'm actually enjoying Baldur's voice acting and the story seems interesting even though I have no freaking idea what's going on.

The animations throw it off though. Pretty poorly done in a lot of cases.

Yeah, in this day and age, I really don't understand why they used Keyframe as opposed to traditional, tried and true, Mocap

"No, that's the thing. Think of a charm like a brooch or something. You're already wearing it, but until you insert runes INTO it AND complete its requirements (listed) it won't work."

Right, and you can also insert runes into armor and not just the charm to add points to certain stats. Did anyone ever figure out if you gain any of the stats boosts from the runes if they are inserted in charms or you lose it once it's inserted into a charm?

FrankT

The replay for this is going to be insane. Clocking nearly 18 hours for my first single player run through at level 27 means getting to 50 then fully decking out my guy is probably easily going to be that 50-60 hour mark they have stated before if not more. Easily near double that with two of your favorite classes.

ringlord

Personally, I don't get the level 2 hate. Yeah, it's tougher but I find it fun. Then again, I'm playing Defender and they can rocket spam me all they like -- I just wade through it or roll away, kill some bastards and get some health drops. :D

Maybe it's hellish for some of the other classes, tho. I imagine it will rock with a good co-op team; I'm looking forward to that.

And since there aren't enough pics in this thread, here are some more. Not new to most of you, I'm sure, and these pics didn't turn out as good as I hoped, but anyway:

Loot Pinatas! At the end of one of the hidden arenas in the ice forest.
pinata.jpg

And this is the level 14 blueprint armor aquired in the ice forest. Can't remember the name, but it's got some nice stats:
lv14-armor.jpg

eznark

Banned
PhatSaqs said:

story comparison...dumb. Microsoft being excited about a trilogy? If sales are as solid as they seem that isn't surprising at all.

Personally, I don't get the level 2 hate. Yeah, it's tougher but I find it fun. Then again, I'm playing Defender and they can rocket spam me all they like -- I just wade through it or roll away, kill some bastards and get some health drops.

My limited experience as well (as a defender). Seems like a ton of berserkers in here though, and I guess the area is a bitch for the class?

Diseased Yak said:
Yeah, i see the fight you're talking about. Was pretty intense. I kept my distance from the trolls, shot the hammer and cannon while tryin to keep the other midgets off of me (wasted some combo gauge here and there w/ right bumps, probably not ideal but worked for me). Once i didnt have to deal with the hammer blasts and bombs, mowing down the crowd of midgets got much easier.

eznark said:
My limited experience as well (as a defender). Seems like a ton of berserkers in here though, and I guess the area is a bitch for the class?
Berserker here. Level 2 was fine, except for the boss (not difficult, just boring as f).

Tobor

eznark said:
TooHuman NeoGaf

I'm not planning on playing any multiplayer til I get done with the story mode, which probably won't be til next weekend.

agreed

Thanks, I must have missed the info before.

just rolled a defender through the first area....not crazy about the class as it seems to play to coop more rather than solo play

Probably gonna just restart and roll a champion :D

AgentOtaku said:
just rolled a defender through the first area....not crazy about the class as it seems to play to coop more rather than solo play

I agree. And it seems that the 4 player co-op would have made some of the classes more useful. Outside of the Champion, I think the other classes are better in a support role for the most part.

eznark said:
screw you guys, defender is awesome!

:lol
I've got nothing against the class, I just think that some of the classes were designed for more pure co-op, and when the 4 player was ganked, it took some of their value away. That's not to say that you can't play through the entire game with all of the classes, but it's just going to be tougher with some of them.

Defenders look totally badass though. :)

Indrew

Neo Member
I splurged and bought it yesterday. Colour me pleasantly surprised. Lots of fun to be had here. I'll add the silver account tonight.

eznark

Banned
honestly I took defender purely because the death sequence is so f'in annoying. A few jump pads into the ice forest and I am not regretting the decision. I have only died once total and it infuriated me. I don't know if I'd be able to handle it with anything else. I'm looking forward to bioengineer in co-op though, I like the strategy involved in support classes.

Owensboro

Cj70 said:
Also is the story as bad as people are saying or is it worth playing through or just go straight for coop instead?

Similar Question: Will you be able to tell what the heck is going on in co-op without having played single player first? My roomate got this game last night and we've been wondering if playing through in co-op initially is a bad idea, mostly because we want to know what the hell is going on (a little context as to why we are killing robotic Murlocs would be nice every now and then). Plus, I am kind of actually interested in the story, if only because I've enjoyed SK's previous stories even if they were a little wacky (Eternal Darkness anyone?) I'd hate to have to break out a Wikipedia page and read the script.

ringlord

AgentOtaku said:

When you get to level 2 and are picking yourself up off the ground for the ump-teenth time after a rocket or troll slams you, think back to these words and remember...

eznark said:
honestly I took defender purely because the death sequence is so f'in annoying. A few jump pads into the ice forest and I am not regretting the decision. I have only died once total and it infuriated me. I don't know if I'd be able to handle it with anything else. I'm looking forward to bioengineer in co-op though, I like the strategy involved in support classes.

Totally agree with you. I like the strategy involved with playing a specific role as well, which is why the big thing I'm missing from Too Human is the 4 player co-op. I really wanted to play through the game with a couple of friends, each of us playing specific roles. Would have been great. I'd also pay for DLC that would add that feature back into the game if I could.

eznark

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Totally agree with you. I like the strategy involved with playing a specific role as well, which is why the big thing I'm missing from Too Human is the 4 player co-op. I really wanted to play through the game with a couple of friends, each of us playing specific roles. Would have been great. I'd also pay for DLC that would add that feature back into the game if I could.

I'm convinced at this point that it has nothing to do with 2 player being better. There are so many technical issues with just the single player play that I just don't think the game could handle 4 player.

Also, it gives them a hook for Too Human Too

had my first coop experience last night, my Champion with a friend's bio-engineer, i'm actually shocked by how much more fun it is with a friend, enjoying the game that much more now!

ringlord

Fistwell said:
I've totally missed that. Where are they at?

There are doors you can break open to get to hidden arenas. They'll look like square blocks and will have a little glowing thing on them... lol, sorry I can't think of any way better to describe them.

The first one (I think) is right after you hit that jump pad that takes you to the first big spider enemy. After defeating it, there's one on the wall almost directly opposite the jump pad. Once you see one, you should be able to pick out others without too much difficulty.

They're kinda like the arenas from the first level -- there's some mist there and you have to hit 'A' to enter. No time limit on the ones I've hit, but there are tons of enemies and multiple levels to get past before you reach the top level and find those loot obelisks.

eznark said:
I'm convinced at this point that it has nothing to do with 2 player being better. There are so many technical issues with just the single player play that I just don't think the game could handle 4 player.

Also, it gives them a hook for Too Human Too

See, I have very few issues with the actual game play. I have nits to pick with other aspects of the game, but I'm actually really enjoying the gameplay itself, which is maybe why I think 4 player would have been great.

But yeah, I agree, it's a checkbox for TH2 for sure.

Top Bottom