• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

"QUESTION: If/when I skip to Aesir in the middle of a level, how do I get back and where does it leave me?"

You go back pretty much the same way you left, you go to the start menu and it says something like resume mission or something of the sort. It leaves you at the last checkpoint you hit, usually the last time you saw it say save at the bottom of the screen without you initiating the saving personally. Might work where you personally last saved, not sure.

"Got a question based on some co-op last night. Two of the secret rooms on the second level I had already completed, but in co-op I could not access them with a friend nor could he? Are some of these rooms with treasure at the end not available once you have completed them by yourself? That would be a bit of a shame since you have some nice chances at loot with some of them having like up to 5 to loot at the end."

Did you have complete the level earlier or did your friend? It seems if you half completed the level you're playing and then go to play it again it doesn't reset all of the loot pillars and secret rooms until you completely beat that level. Early I was complaining that it was doing that in the second level then I beat it with fin and then when I replayed it was back to normal so I'm assuming that's what it did.

god damn this game is pissing me off. I'm on the third level and am in a room with 2 trolls, 2 of those spider things, and a shit ton of the green dudes who shoot you. How the fuck am I supposed to kill stuff without dieing when everything has a ranged attack

FrankT

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Got a question based on some co-op last night. Two of the secret rooms on the second level I had already completed, but in co-op I could not access them with a friend nor could he? Are some of these rooms with treasure at the end not available once you have completed them by yourself? That would be a bit of a shame since you have some nice chances at loot with some of them having like up to 5 to loot at the end."

Did you have complete the level earlier or did your friend? It seems if you half completed the level you're playing and then go to play it again it doesn't reset all of the loot pillars and secret rooms until you completely beat that level. Early I was complaining that it was doing that in the second level then I beat it with fin and then when I replayed it was back to normal so I'm assuming that's what it did.

Ok, well that makes sense as I didn't have time to finish the level off earlier before I started co-op, good to hear.

Also does anyone know if this track made it into the final game as I do not recall it;

http://www.siliconknights.com/main.html

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"QUESTION: If/when I skip to Aesir in the middle of a level, how do I get back and where does it leave me?"

You go back pretty much the same way you left, you go to the start menu and it says something like resume mission or something of the sort. It leaves you at the last checkpoint you hit, usually the last time you saw it say save at the bottom of the screen without you initiating the saving personally. Might work where you personally last saved, not sure.

Awesome. I want my epic armor set in TIP TOP, my friend.

Level 18 and just finished level 2. So far this game has some of the worst boss fights in history.. Loving the rest of the game though. Pity that the best items I'm finding are only purples =[

Spoo

Just beat it at level 29 with a full orange armor set. If there's red items in the game... I never saw any of them. I also picked up a really crazy glove item (level 44!).

The story *was* starting to get better near the end of the game. Here's hoping Too Human 2 gets focus tested and Dyack hires some animators -- because TH2 could be *really* good instead of "fun but deeply flawed."

I'll try coop out a bit later. Kinda Too Humaned out, at the moment.

FrankT

DarkAngelYuna said:
Level 18 and just finished level 2. So far this game has some of the worst boss fights in history.. Loving the rest of the game though. Pity that the best items I'm finding are only purples =[

Level 43 with about 30 hours in and I've only seen 1 red. That is where the real journey is going to begin for me at 50. Dyack wasn't kidding around when he stated if you have a full red set you will have clocked in some serious time. I found quite a few oranges so far and I try to use stuff that has the loot drop added % as well. There is also a luck rune that when I had it equipped I had 3 orange schematics drop almost one right after another. Once at 50 I'll be setting out for a full red set, but I think the other interesting thing as far as the loot hunt goes as Sevenchaos mentioned to me last night will be the higher teir charms and there added bonuses.

"Awesome. I want my epic armor set in TIP TOP, my friend."

I should clarify it only works that way if it's your first time playing that level, trying to complete the story. If you have a story in progress and you're replaying an old level you have to choose the section you want and restart from the beginning of that section. It may act like the first way I described story once you beat the story but I haven't done that yet so I'm not sure.

Heya everyone,

Just a quick question. My brother and I are each going to pick up a copy of TH so that we can play with each other online. We're pumped. It is looking like it is going to be a lot of fun.

I just have one question which I think is best answered by people who love these types and games and who are having fun with Too Human.

I'm wondering whether the loot system suffers at all from the problems which have been described by the 1UP people (and others). Some people are suggesting that the system never makes loot feel 'special'. Allegedly there is too much loot, too many blueprints, not enough reward for finally getting a piece you've been working toward (because by the time you get it, it is average), etc.

Is any of this true, in your experience?

The answer kind of doesn't matter, as I'm pretty sure that I'm going to love the game regardless (based on the demo, my history with looting games, and the reviews I've read). But I'd like to know what other people are thinking.

"I'm wondering whether the loot system suffers at all from the problems which have been described by the 1UP people (and others). Some people are suggesting that the system never makes loot feel 'special'. Allegedly there is too much loot, too many blueprints, not enough reward for finally getting a piece you've been working toward (because by the time you get it, it is average), etc.

Is any of this true, in your experience?"

It kind of depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a red rarity item (epic/elite) then you'll probably be ok but it depends on what level the thing you're looking for is. I got a level 28, I believe, sword the red one in Ty's workshop and I'm lvl 44 and it's still the strongest weapon I have except for some hammers I can craft but I hate hammers. So, that item holds up pretty well and usually if it's a red item it'll last pretty long so you could be higher then the range and it might not be the absolute best but still pretty damn good. I guess if you're looking for one item and it doesn't drop it's kind of true but it's like that with any game. The loot seems to scale to your level roughly just like the enemies so it's not that big of a problem if any.

Shins

Banned
I didn't experience the "too much loot" problem once I'd gotten past level 10 or so. In the first area, I was trading out armor and weapons every few minutes, but once I had mostly purple equipment, I just set up the game to auto-sell/salvage green and blue drops, negating having to sort through too much stuff. By the time I had compiled an orange set of armor at the end of the third area, I didn't switch out for anything else for the rest of the game.

Now that I'm ready for co-op, I have four out of seven parts ready for a new orange armor set, and I picked up two or three orange weapons that I'll be able to use once I raise my level a little.

I haven't gotten any red drops at all yet.

kmfdmpig

TruthJunky said:
Heya everyone,

Just a quick question. My brother and I are each going to pick up a copy of TH so that we can play with each other online. We're pumped. It is looking like it is going to be a lot of fun.

I just have one question which I think is best answered by people who love these types and games and who are having fun with Too Human.

I'm wondering whether the loot system suffers at all from the problems which have been described by the 1UP people (and others). Some people are suggesting that the system never makes loot feel 'special'. Allegedly there is too much loot, too many blueprints, not enough reward for finally getting a piece you've been working toward (because by the time you get it, it is average), etc.

The answer kind of doesn't matter, as I'm pretty sure that I'm going to love the game regardless (based on the demo, my history with looting games, and the reviews I've read). But I'd like to know what other people are thinking.

I think it's more true earlier on. At that stage you're getting pretty lame weapons which are only marginally better than previous ones. As you gain a level then you'll typically get better weapons pretty quick. As you get further along, however, you'll gain levels more slowly and will also rarer items. This makes the special finds much more special and means that you likely won't be swapping them out shortly.

Finished it last night. Clocked about 15 hours and I'm at level 31 (played a couple of co-op levels, too.) The story definitely picks up at the end
the explanation for the blue stuff on Baldur's face is rad and the tease about Loki and that huge troll was cool
and the last level was fun. I finally figured out how to play the game a bit better, so I didn't die as much in Hel. I ended up spamming the fierce attack a lot at the onrushing guys and doing a fair bit of backpedaling. Mainly using my ruiners after a slide for the 2in1 bonus (less combo cost) helps a lot, too. In addition, remembering to use the sentient weapon when I need to as well as getting my spider leveled up has helped. Oh, and the Iso camera makes it a lot easier to ping-pong when I'm doing that.

I'm on the left Champion path. I'm human alignment with a couple points in the top few skills there and some in the "increase fierce attack range" skill.

Other random thoughts....

- Cyberspace is HUGE. I explored a bit before the last cutscene and it just kept on going. I had to stop because I had too many runes and charms. It'd be nice to have a map, too, because I kept on getting lost.
- I just picked up my first piece of Epic armor. It's a level 28 helmet that seems pretty cool. I couldn't preview it by pressing select - is that the rule for epic items? It costs 300k to craft, so I need some more bounty before I do that.
- I did another run through on level 1 after finishing the game, which was fun. I went to Aesir briefly in the middle of the level, and I think that's why I didn't get the no-death achievement. :( At least it's a short level, so I shouldn't be too tough to do again.

Looking forward to doing some co-op and picking up some more loot. :D

how the hell am i supposed to beat the troll at the end of level 3? He's inside the little cave thing, and Thor is doing jack shit to help me. I've tried hitting everything on his body but his life meter won't go down. Help?

Waikis

Jtyettis said:
Level 43 with about 30 hours in and I've only seen 1 red. That is where the real journey is going to begin for me at 50. Dyack wasn't kidding around when he stated if you have a full red set you will have clocked in some serious time. I found quite a few oranges so far and I try to use stuff that has the loot drop added % as well. There is also a luck rune that when I had it equipped I had 3 orange schematics drop almost one right after another. Once at 50 I'll be setting out for a full red set, but I think the other interesting thing as far as the loot hunt goes as Sevenchaos mentioned to me last night will be the higher teir charms and there added bonuses.

Eh? I'm level 26 and all of my equipments are red already. Granted they are one of those blueprints which I need to create first,but red is still red : p.

Maybe my +12% loot chance have something to do with it :D .

funkmastergeneral said:
god damn this game is pissing me off. I'm on the third level and am in a room with 2 trolls, 2 of those spider things, and a shit ton of the green dudes who shoot you. How the fuck am I supposed to kill stuff without dieing when everything has a ranged attack

Keep moving... zig zag diagonally and use dodge when approaching them. Use ruiners and your sentient weapon attack on a large group of them. Don't do long air combos. Stay away from the spiders at all costs.

Also learn how to pull off the fierce ranged attack. A foolproof way to get off a good shot is to center the camera behind you with an enemy lined up straight ahead and push up on both sticks. The sword and staff attacks in particular are pretty useful. Dodge to the side, launch off a fierce shot, dodge again. This usually knocks several down, and the second shot hits them again while they are on the ground. If you are a non-commando this is probably the best way to kill stuff at range.

Stay away from the spider guys until there are few enemies left. They are not that difficult if you can just focus on them without distraction. Get in close, attack until they lift their front legs up, dodge, then go right back to it. With my champion I could usually do a 2 hit combo followed by a finisher. Eventually you'll be able to fight these guys without losing any health... although killing everything else around it so you can fight them 1v1 is the hard part.

Waikis said:
Eh? I'm level 26 and all of my equipments are red already. Granted they are one of those blueprints which I need to create first,but red is still red : p.

Maybe my +12% loot chance have something to do with it :D .

Are you sure those aren't orange? I've got a ton of those at level 29.

I'm slightly color blind so I'm kinda worried I won't be able to tell the difference in orange and red, and I though some of my orange stuff was red when I first got it. I'm not even sure i've seen a red item yet.

funkmastergeneral said:
how the hell am i supposed to beat the troll at the end of level 3? He's inside the little cave thing, and Thor is doing jack shit to help me. I've tried hitting everything on his body but his life meter won't go down. Help?

Just like other trolls the key to killing it is to destroy each section. While shooting at it with a gun move the right stick around and you'll target different parts of it's body you haven't hit yet that will have life meters.

Hitting those parts in melee is where i'm having trouble. It's easier in co-op when one player can distract it for you.

Waikis

2dgqped.jpg

Lemme get into the game to check the color. After 8 hours of playing the game and the gliding ,everything seems to look fuzzy : p.

Edit:
Are you sure those aren't orange? I've got a ton of those at level 29.

I'm slightly color blind so I'm kinda worried I won't be able to tell the difference in orange and red, and I though some of my orange stuff was red when I first got it. I'm not even sure i've seen a red item yet.

Ah shit , you are right , they are actually orange. The equipment font looks kinda red, but then I checked the icon and noticed its orange . Oh well, my mistake!

Also, is this the first game where you can skip the MGS logo? :p

Spoo

Alright guys, clear something up for me:

I'm a human champion. Is there a seperate tree I can put points into since I'm a human, if so, where do I access it? I only know of one tree but it sounds like there's another depending on your path choice?

Lemme know. I've already finished the game and I'll feel retarded if there's another tree I never used. :\

TruthJunky said:

Yes and no. Mainly no though. You get a lot of run-of-the-mill kind of gear, which you could swap in and out for small stat boosts. But there's definitely standout stuff, which you'll want to keep for a while. Or at least, that's how it's happened for me. I'm still on my first playthrough, finishing up the 5th environment. I've had the same set of armor and weapons for about 4 or 5 hours (orange valkyrie dual swords or something... and... cant remember the armor). They don't just look awesome, they also have better stats than anything i've come across since then.

Xenon

TruthJunky said:

I would say the only problem I have had is the fact that each level has a high level sets of armor blue prints in their obelisks. I had to wait a while to use them but once I did the armor would be well above any thing dropped by monsters. So, I wouldn’t need new armor until I got the next level’s armor set. I do not think they are random because it’s the full set, but I have only gone through once on SP. I’m not sure how it will work on MP.

Weapons seem a lot more random since they do not come in sets. Plus I have had some great non Blue print finds.

Its still a good system were I had a number of noticeable jumps in power.

Shins

Banned
Cornballer said:
Cyberspace is HUGE. I explored a bit before the last cutscene and it just kept on going. I had to stop because I had too many runes and charms. It'd be nice to have a map, too, because I kept on getting lost.
So you can access that from the World Tree? I didn't realize you could return there until the very end of the game, and never bothered to see if I could enter from the pool there.

Odd that they didn't push it more if its really that big...

Spoo said:
Lemme know. I've already finished the game and I'll feel retarded if there's another tree I never used. :\

Press LT/RT on the skills menu :p

Waikis

Spoo said:
Alright guys, clear something up for me:

I'm a human champion. Is there a seperate tree I can put points into since I'm a human, if so, where do I access it? I only know of one tree but it sounds like there's another depending on your path choice?

I'm still early in the game, but are you talking about the additional tree from the implant ?

Spoo

Waikis said:
I'm still early in the game, but are you talking about the additional tree from the implant ?

Well, I chose the human route... so I don't have an implant? Or at least, I don't *think* I do.
I'm just wondering, other that my "Champion" tree in the menu, is there a "human trait" tree or something?

Waikis

Spoo said:
Well, I chose the human route... so I don't have an implant? Or at least, I don't *think* I do.
I'm just wondering, other that my "Champion" tree in the menu, is there a "human trait" tree or something?

Hmm I chose cybernetic ... in my skills menu I can press RT to go to the additional tree.

Spoo said:
1. Go to your standard skill tree
2. Press RT
3. ????
4. Profit

There's a separate mini tree for the human/cybernetic alignment.

Shins

Banned
Definitely is, and it may make the game a bit easier for you, depending on your play style. I know as a Berserker, leveling up my guns a bit via the human tree made life much easier with later enemies.

Spoo

Shins said:
Definitely is, and it may make the game a bit easier for you, depending on your play style. I know as a Berserker, leveling up my guns a bit via the human tree made life much easier with later enemies.

lol, oh man... I beat the game without ever knowing about this tree :D Thankfully, it wasn't too hard -- I figure I died about as much as most people will at certain parts, but yeah, I wish I had learned about it earlier.

Time to boot it up and start spec'in

Spoo said:
lol, oh man... I beat the game without ever knowing about this tree :D Thankfully, it wasn't too hard -- I figure I died about as much as most people will at certain parts, but yeah, I wish I had learned about it earlier.

Time to boot it up and start spec'in

There should really be a "Either Brave Or Stupid" achievement for that! :lol

Shins said:
So you can access that from the World Tree? I didn't realize you could return there until the very end of the game, and never bothered to see if I could enter from the pool there.

Odd that they didn't push it more if its really that big...
You can get to a lot of it that way. There were at least 3-4 new doors that led to new wells, etc... when I went back via the World Tree. Lots to explore. Maybe it just seemed bigger than it actually is because the running speed is so slow. ;)
Shins said:
It's a very good way to round off your character or fill in some blanks with your skills. Using it helped me a lot.

border

TruthJunky said:
I think the major problem is not the "special-ness" of the loot, but that it never really makes you feel any more powerful. I never really see much discernible improvement in my character's actual performance, even with orange armor and an orange weapon. It feels like the loot just keeps you on the curve, it doesn't put you ahead of the curve. I think that is what the 1Up review was really getting at.

Sumidor

Now on my 2nd play through. Still curious about these things, though...

Sumidor said:
- Does the final boss drop loot? I searched around but didn't find any. I hope I didn't miss it, because I was expecting big things!

- If I create a new character, is there any way I can transfer some of my cool items to that character?

- I'm still confused about which enemies are dark polarity and why it matters... Can somebody explain?

- Is there any way to shorten the poison and sticky fire damage? It's super annoying, and pretty much a death sentence unless you farm for health.

- Would you pay 1200 MS Points for DLC that added four player co-op?

border said:
I think the major problem is not the "special-ness" of the loot, but that it never really makes you feel any more powerful. I never really see much discernible improvement in my character's actual performance, even with orange armor and an orange weapon. It feels like the loot just keeps you on the curve, it doesn't put you ahead of the curve. I think that is what the 1Up review was really getting at.

I don't know, I'm on like 4/5ths Orange set with a fucking SICK Orange sword (it's actually the armor set pictured upthread) and I think you can definitely feel the status boosts and when you can kill base level enemies in one hit, as Half Baked (ugh) said "I'M FEELING IT!!"

By the way, FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MOJO ASS MOTHERFUCKERS. The floating fat dudes aren't the main problem, it's the fuckign X-Babies mother fuckers flanking him. That cluster killed me like a billion times.

BenjaminBirdie said:
By the way, FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MOJO ASS MOTHERFUCKERS. The floating fat dudes aren't the main problem, it's the fuckign X-Babies mother fuckers flanking him. That cluster killed me like a billion times.
There's lots of space on the platform levels in Hel, so I just back off a bit and keep on firing lost distance fierce attacks. Then I go back and deal with Jenny Craig once the minions are thinned out.

Cornballer said:
There's lots of space on the platform levels in Hel, so I just back off a bit and keep on firing lost distance fierce attacks. Then I go back and deal with Jenny Craig once the minions are thinned out.

Yeah, I could feel I was being inefficient. Ha! I just wrote that without even realizing it. Dang it, Too Human.

goldenpp72

ok in an attempt to get the elite armor achievement I have a full set of weapons and armor starting with RAGING, it's all complete aside shoulder pads.. I'll report if it works, if anyone has a pair I could use it would be great though :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
another "review" :lol

Too Human is an action/rpg hybrid that began development as an Atari 2600 game almost 25 years ago.

The story-line employs a previously never-attempted genre-bending combination of science fiction with mythology, that is sure to confuse and anger both sci-fi fans and Norse theologians alike. The lack of exposition will leave people having to participate in the story in a manner which should be left to books and movies, this is a video game, please spell it out or I wont get it.

The combat is immediately gratifying and doesn't require nearly enough arbitrary combinations of face buttons. The use of the analogue stick makes me feel strange and the combo's I have learned from other games don't work. All games should use the same control scheme, so that I never have to learn new combos. The enemy's are all identical. Except in how you have to fight them, defend from them and deal with different combinations of them. I keep using the same tactics for every pack in each class and tend up dying often. Please fix that.

The penalty for death is far too lax. In a game when you die you should be sent to an interim "game over" screen which requires an input to send you back to the main menu at which point you should have to reload your game sending you to the main hub where you have to restart the entire mission. This would be far preferable to Too Human's silly choice of an in-game cinematic that loads the last checkpoint.

There is too much good gear. In an rpg you should be forced to play for days, to get the materials, to start the quest, that leads to the guy, who will give you the plans, to get the piece that is one third of your first weapon. This having cool stuff drop all the time, it just ruins it.

On-line co-op is fun but is limited to two people. There should be four person co-op. Unless it needs to be four person co-op. There should be scaling co-op for up to sixteen people and raiding instances should be added. And a hub where online people could trade and show off. And pvp. And I should be able to shop on Ebay and surf the web in-game. I don't see why the designers couldn't have done this.

And as much as the game is flawed it is too short.

from toohuman.net lol

FrankT

Not a Jellyfish said:
If there was a leaderboard for most deaths I would be on top. haha I do so much its rediculous

Haha, indeed, that first play through for me was rough. Since then I've been able to make some nice adjustments to tactic/play style.

Soroc

Ok, Man I love this game. I'm 70% complete just finished the 3rd Level. I'm currently a Lvl 25 Human Bioengineer. I was able to obtain all orange gear, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have set bonus or even show up as a set. But damn does it all look good together :D I feel like I shouldn't be looking this fucking cool this early on but thank you random loot! :lol Oh btw I got all of these oranges on Lvl3.

Here are some photos, sorry for some of the crappy ones :lol

BELVL22FRONT.jpg

LVL22ORANGEHELM.jpg

LVL22ORANGECHEST.jpg

LVL22ORANGESHOULDERS.jpg

LVL22ORANGEGLOVES.jpg

LVL22ORANGEPANTS.jpg

LVL22ORAGNEBOOTS.jpg

So can anyone tell me why the Exp % drops to zero everytime I die and what that means.

I'm new to loot games so I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, but I really would like to know what's going on. Thanks.

Top Bottom