• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

KAOS

Having fun with the game. My commando looks like he's straight out of Hell Boy!

2790764687_69cd50b06a.jpg

2790764683_67ac966a9b.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This game is a lot more fun once you just accept you are going to die a lot in single player.

VaLiancY

That's some badass looking armor.

I'm waiting for my friend to go through his first try and then I might do some coop with him to power level him up.

border

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm One Hit killing all the lower level duders in Helheim and I'm loving that shit.
I sent you a friend invite, btw. Not sure if our characters will ever be in a similar level range, though :)

Them throwing in harder enemies and more of them really makes it tougher and for me more enjoyable playing.

As I said earlier, making it harder would be good.....but some encounters stretch things to the point of just being stupid-unfair-hard. There are sections of lvl 40 Helheim where the game spawns 3 Elite Missile Launching mobs on an unreachable balcony, while the players below must contend with respawning waves below. This is going to be awful if you don't have a commando, because nobody else's ranged weapons are worth a shit. Even if you do have a commando the auto-targeting mechanic is so borked that you have to clear out a lot of mobs just to get the game to target the missile launchers. And of course this must be done while you are pelted with well over a dozen missles at a time. The only solution to seems to be "die until you get through".

Before I hit level 30, Helheim was probably my favorite stage. After level 30, Hall of Heroes is my favorite stage, just because all the encounters are fair and not overwhelming.

Chrange said:
Go to the shop and buy the lowest level gray swords you can find, then try them. Maybe then you'll see it :p
Well of course if you compare the highest-end stuff to the lowest end stuff you might see results.....but going from Purple to Orange doesn't seem to yield any major differences in my character's performance. Like I said, I haven't really noticed my character performing much better since I got my first sets of blue/purple gear. Maybe it's because of stat caps -- the game will only let you be so good, and I've consistently stayed at that threshold throughout.

Combine

Banned
Hannar from Toohuman.net has posted a very nice and extremely useful compilation of notes that Henry Sterchi made on those forums there:

Silicon Knights director of game design Henry Sterchi dropped by the TooHuman.net forums again today to offer up some more tips for players making the transition into more challenging levels of Too Human.

Charms
- Charms must have both runes and the quest requirement done to be completed.
- There are 3 levels of charms that build upon each other.
- Charms can affect weapons, armor, or both as noted.

Berserkers
- Getting even as little as 10% health bonus (2 runes ish) can really help when dealing with status effects.
- Stick and move, stick and move. Rolls and well planned slides help a lot.
- Fierces help a lot vs. polarities because their guns have a pretty short range.

Polarities
- Bright or light polarities are already charged and will detonate on death. Guns, Ruiners, and fierce attacks (bonus combo gain and damage) help.
- Dark polarities are charged by gunfire, so it's best to first avoid shooting them.
- Charged polarities can be juggled and you can use them to your advantage since when juggling an enemy, damage isn't applied until they land. Juggle + roll away allows you to make your own polarity bombs to knock into your enemies.

Status Effects
- +health and +armor bonuses will help you a lot.
- The Defender has a battle cry that reflects polarities (super helpful).
- All 3 of the bioengineer's battle cries clear status effects.
- Rolls can help mitigate the damage.

Trolls
- You can shoot out their hammers and gun hands. This is a great strategy when you are battling multiple trolls.
- Offensive spiders are very good against trolls since they can often draw aggro for you.
- Finishers will break all of their armor in one shot. Since standing at their feet is risky, an air finisher to their chest is very strong.

Bosses
- Yes most have a ballistic and/or a melee "phase", even if your class isn't strong in that phase, it's still best to use the right approach.
- Ruiners stun bosses.
- Battlecries can be huge huge helps.
- Sentient weapon can be a huge huge help.

For example Grendl - Melee & Ballistic Phases
- All fours = melee
- 1st standup = shoot the chest. 2nd standup = shoot head.
- Roll to get drones off you, destroy them to build your combo.

Notes:
- Bosses do have some "magic bullet" type things you can use against them. Figuring each out can help a LOT.
- Yes, Garm is quite hard for berserkers, and Hel can be tough for Commandos do to their phase priorities.
- The feedback I've seen is definitely noted :)
I hope he's alright with me posting this here. If not, Ill remove it and just link to the site.

SK said:
Silicon Knights director of game design Henry Sterchi dropped by the TooHuman.net forums again today to offer up some more tips for players making the transition into more challenging levels of Too Human.

Charms
- Charms must have both runes and the quest requirement done to be completed.
- There are 3 levels of charms that build upon each other.
- Charms can affect weapons, armor, or both as noted.

Berserkers
- Getting even as little as 10% health bonus (2 runes ish) can really help when dealing with status effects.
- Stick and move, stick and move. Rolls and well planned slides help a lot.
- Fierces help a lot vs. polarities because their guns have a pretty short range.

Polarities
- Bright or light polarities are already charged and will detonate on death. Guns, Ruiners, and fierce attacks (bonus combo gain and damage) help.
- Dark polarities are charged by gunfire, so it's best to first avoid shooting them.
- Charged polarities can be juggled and you can use them to your advantage since when juggling an enemy, damage isn't applied until they land. Juggle + roll away allows you to make your own polarity bombs to knock into your enemies.

Status Effects
- +health and +armor bonuses will help you a lot.
- The Defender has a battle cry that reflects polarities (super helpful).
- All 3 of the bioengineer's battle cries clear status effects.
- Rolls can help mitigate the damage.

Trolls
- You can shoot out their hammers and gun hands. This is a great strategy when you are battling multiple trolls.
- Offensive spiders are very good against trolls since they can often draw aggro for you.
- Finishers will break all of their armor in one shot. Since standing at their feet is risky, an air finisher to their chest is very strong.

Bosses
- Yes most have a ballistic and/or a melee "phase", even if your class isn't strong in that phase, it's still best to use the right approach.
- Ruiners stun bosses.
- Battlecries can be huge huge helps.
- Sentient weapon can be a huge huge help.

For example Grendl - Melee & Ballistic Phases
- All fours = melee
- 1st standup = shoot the chest. 2nd standup = shoot head.
- Roll to get drones off you, destroy them to build your combo.

Notes:
- Bosses do have some "magic bullet" type things you can use against them. Figuring each out can help a LOT.
- Yes, Garm is quite hard for berserkers, and Hel can be tough for Commandos do to their phase priorities.
- The feedback I've seen is definitely noted :)

holy shit! ...this definetely needs to go on the first page! ...didn't know about Grendel and shooting his body and head during Ballistic phase, nor did I know about hitting Polarity enemies with "fierce" strikes!
I did figure out juggling them then letting them fall to the ground for splash damage

So after a level 50, getting all classes to at least level 10 and almost halfway through a second playthrough as human this time, I finally find out I have another skill tree. Altogether about 45+ hours.

Boy do I feel dumb.:lol

FirstInHell said:
Can someone explain to me how to do air melee attacks? I think I may be doing it wrong. Every time I launch someone up in the air, I press the A button to jump up to them and start an attack, but by the time I am able to reach the enemy, he has already fallen back to the ground.

Is there some other way air melee combat works?

Can anyone help me here?

Aladuf

Banned
Just bought this today and did an 8+ hour playthrough leaving me at the beginning of the 4th Chapter. This game is a fucking blast, right now I'm a Level 22 Beserker and I can't wait to finish up the game so I can begin some co-op with a friend and get up to Level 50. :D

border

FirstInHell said:
Can anyone help me here?
No offense but I think you're probably just too slow. It shouldn't be that difficult though.....if an enemy is already dead you won't be able to air melee. Maybe try using your gun to freeze them in place of a couple seconds, then jump up and start your melee. Are you pressing the right stick towards them while in the air? You should be able to do a little mid-air slide that closes any gap between you and the launched enemy.

border said:
No offense but I think you're probably just too slow. It shouldn't be that difficult though.....if an enemy is already dead you won't be able to air melee. Maybe try using your gun to freeze them in place of a couple seconds, then jump up and start your melee. Are you pressing the right stick towards them while in the air? You should be able to do a little mid-air slide that closes any gap between you and the launched enemy.

No offense taken.

I think you just answered my question. I did not know you could perform a slide while in the air.

I'll give it a shot.

Combine

Banned
I really really do love the musical score though. Though, my main problem with it is that it only plays during the fights, and otherwise, there really isn't anything playing. I do hope they'll release a soundtrack for it, I'd definitely pay money for it.

My favorite theme so far (which isn't that far) is the GRNDL boss fight: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGMuukEMR8

FrankT

Heh, hit level 50 and head back to find Epic Berserker duel hand swords for sale at the shop for 1.4 mill. What do I have at the moment 1.2, errr.

"Yeah, which one? It seems to be a harder choice compared to the other classes."

Heh, thought you were talking about skills but from what it said in the guide the cybernetic works better as a supporting role where as the human is easier to solo with. With cybernetic you get cannons and can improve them so that you can sit back while someone else rushes forward where as with human they said it's more balanced and get decent ballistics along with being able to melee. I chose human since it seemed better to me.

MrDaravon

KAOS said:
Having fun with the game. My commando looks like he's straight out of Hell Boy!

2790764687_69cd50b06a.jpg

2790764683_67ac966a9b.jpg

I'll post a pic of my commando in the morning; he's got the same wings (but red), and his armor is almost all completely jet black, it's so fucking badass.

On a completely different note, does anyone happen to know how exactly dexterity affects your gun damage? The guide just says it affects your base gun damage, but I put a dexterity+33% on and it doesn't increase the actual damage stat.

Has anyone ever lost items mysteriously?

I feel like twice now I've just been completely ripped off. I crafted a bunch of armor and a new weapon I go to equip them and they weren't there?

I had like three pieces of red armor and by the time I was high enough level to use them I went to craft them and they were gone?

SPEA

xxjuicesxx said:
Has anyone ever lost items mysteriously?

I feel like twice now I've just been completely ripped off. I crafted a bunch of armor and a new weapon I go to equip them and they weren't there?

I had like three pieces of red armor and by the time I was high enough level to use them I went to craft them and they were gone?
Make sure you don't have salvage on RED by mistake.

bh7812

Banned
I'll just give my impression of this solely as a game, without all the controversey surrounding it.

I rented the game on Friday and have put about 7 hours into it and I'm in the second area the Ice Forest. I'm not sure how much further I have to go in that level but I will say you guys aren't kidding this level is brutal! Quite a ramp up in difficulty from the first area.

As a game, it's not the triple A be all end all game, but at the same time it's definitely not the worst game that's ever been made. I'm quite enjoying it so far. There's a TON of customization, weapons and loot. If you love hack n' slash action games you'll probably be really surprised with this and really enjoy it. If you love just tinkering and customizing you'll probably be in heaven.

It definitely doesn't deserve all the bad press. It is NO 5.5 game like GS gave it. I'd say it's a very solid C plus. I haven't experienced the whole falling through a solid floor thing at all. The only issue I can find that's bothering me personally is the camera which is a little goofy. Nothing I can't deal with it's just a small complaint.

Ultimately, each person should play the kinds of games they want and don't let the flak it's been getting make the decision for you. If you're still unsure about it, I'd say play the demo BUT it's definitely worth a rental to me. I do hope it sells well enough so we can see the whole trilogy.

goldenpp72

hit level 50 with my berserker, using a defender now.. I must say this game has quite a variety of ways to play but the single player is really fucked up. They needed to tweak the campaign to accomodate each class, some bosses work best at ranged and others at close, but with no class being able to beat all of the campaign areas with 'fun' as an element, they should have done something about that.

Defenders have a lot of awesome abilities though.. this game having 4 player co op would have been something.

In all honestly, after playing 3 levels, this is a very, very poorly made game.

But I am having some fun. I guess.

It's addicting like most loot games are. Does that mean there's something here that's special? So far, I'd have to say no.

There are a BUNCH of SEVERE problems this game has.

I HATE THE FUCKING BOSSES!

There. I said it.

Stupid design choices throughout. Too many to list.

Straight up, this game is the perfect 'rental.' Nothing more.

I actually dig the combat. I think that's the best part. It's fun whooping lots of ass and getting your combo up high.

But there are a lot of frustrations that almost -- almost -- kill the entire game for me.

Maybe, like you said, it'll 'come together' for me. I kind of feel it already has. But I still feel the way I do even after that. I was hating it much more earlier on. So take that for what it's worth.

Grecco

The Boss encounters are a perfect point to how freaking rushed this game was. The encounters feel either unfinished or just plain lazy.

Aladuf

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
I HATE THE FUCKING BOSSES!

Yeah, my only frustration with the game so far has been with the boss of the third chapter. I sat there forever trying to figure out why I took off so much health initially and then it hit a certain point and no more health would be taken off.

Finally with a little help from the internet I figured it out and made my way past it.

"Yeah, my only frustration with the game so far has been with the boss of the third chapter. I sat there forever trying to figure out why I took off so much health initially and then it hit a certain point and no more health would be taken off.

Finally with a little help from the internet I figured it out and made my way past it."

? It's the same as every other troll in the game...

Aladuf

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Yeah, my only frustration with the game so far has been with the boss of the third chapter. I sat there forever trying to figure out why I took off so much health initially and then it hit a certain point and no more health would be taken off.

Finally with a little help from the internet I figured it out and made my way past it."

? It's the same as every other troll in the game...

It didn't seem like it, I never had a problem with any other trolls but this one just stopped losing its health towards the end. I guess maybe I was just getting really unlucky with where I was hitting it in the end. *shrugs*

Top Bottom