• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Shins

Banned
The first, third, fourth, and final bosses feel like extended versions of every other enemy encounter. The second boss is the only one that "mixes it up" and I hated it, lol.

"It didn't seem like it, I never had a problem with any other trolls but this one just stopped losing its health towards the end. I guess maybe I was just getting really unlucky with where I was hitting it in the end. *shrugs*"

Guess you were unlucky, same as every other troll. Get rid of the "overshield" and then destroy the individual pieces.

Combine

Banned
Heh, actually, Silicon Knights has never to my recollection been that adept at designing boss battles. Go through their past games:

Blood Omen: LOK - It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember employing a similar strategy to what I'm hearing described about the TH bosses. Attack, retreat, rinse, repeat. In fact, the bosses were actually a bit too easy and died in only a few hits.

Eternal Darkness:
Only two boss battles in the whole game. Greater Gaurdian was just using the magic spell a couple of times, and Pious was just slashing away at him (although the battle was epic).

MGS: Twin Snakes - Well, can't really give them too much credit here since they just remade the original battles.

So yeah, they do need to think hard and come up with clever boss battles. Take a page from the ones that have done it right like the Metroid Prime series and such.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's funny, the third boss battle was the only one I actually liked. The first one was okay, second one was terrible, and last was way too easy. The less said about Garm the better.

Shins

Banned
Almost certain its at and below, and not simply below. I have it set to 'Blue' and haven't seen any Blue items in my inventory since.

^^^ Garm got me about half of my 100 deaths achievement. Prickish thing.

Shins

Banned
Yeah. It faked me out. I expected the game to wrap up after the fourth (and after Garm, I was a bit glad for it to be done), and then it kept on a'rolling.

Boss Strategy Tip
I found a little trick to Hoad, its a little hard to pull off but if you can do it you can beat him quick.

If you kill a platform AS hes jumping to it hell fall and you will go onto the next level...

Dunno if thats a trick or what you are ACTUALLY supposed to do but its faster than shooting all 5 platforms down.

Mifune

Mehmber
Combine said:
Hmm, I guess maybe I'm alone in the world when I actually am enjoying the game's story?

I'm only a little into the second level but I'm very satisfied with what I've seen. I don't think the cinematics are that bad, I've certainly seen far far worse fare from plenty of Japanese animu RPG's recently. The voice acting seems quite solid, particularly Baldur, Heimdall, Freya and Loki (though Thor's is definitely a bit too gruff).

I actually spent a lot of time walking around Aesir HQ exploring and listening to the conversations that take place, getting more of the backstory (I really loved the part though where
Heimdall turns off the holographic illusion in his office to show the true world around him.
, and I also enjoyed the
Loki interogation sequence
. Though, one thing I do wish had been implemented was an "Examine" option like there was in Eternal Darkness. I personally enjoy learning about the game world and why things exist in it, especially in a more story-driven game.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to progressing further. It's certainly not the best game out there, but I'm enjoying it.

Yeah, I dug the story too. Even more after rewatching the cutscenes when you know where everything is heading.

Some really nice moments amid the awkwardness:

The aforementioned hologram scene.
On the World Serpent:
Eternal Darkness-esque mindfuckery
Frey and Heimdall on the balcony before the battle.
"Did you toast to me?"
Learning about the Ymir in Cyberspace
endgame spoiler:
Loki and the Giant - HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I really wish there was more story, more background to be honest.

Aladuf said:
Had only I known this when I was playing that part earlier. :lol

Oh well, next play through I'll give that a shot.

I tried to do it on the next two levels (you have to do it for four levels of platforms) But I noticed its VERY HARD, it might be a glitch instead of intended?

Beat the game. GRENDL was easily the most annoying boss. But that's because I didn't know I could roll those leeches off. Garm was second runner up.

I played a tiny bit of Level 1, revisiting it, and hooooollllyyyy shit this is gonna be fun.

:D

Xenon

For those restarting, there was a tip that came up when you first start that mentions cut scenes and something about pressing X for different layouts. I missed it. What did it say?

Xenon said:
For those restarting, there was a tip that came up when you first start that mentions cut scenes and something about pressing X for different layouts. I missed it. What did it say?

If you keep playing campaign, everything will be the same. If you go back to Aesir, pull up the map and go to the levels by pressing 'X' there, you play the different and more challenging variations of the levels.

Mifune

Mehmber
Xenon said:

I think it was saying that if you just continue with the campaign as it is, everything is the same (although I assume enemies are leveled up). To play with new layouts and enemies, you have to go to Aesir and press X on the world map to choose the level you want to play.

It's all a bit confusing.

Xenon

BenjaminBirdie said:
If you keep playing campaign, everything will be the same. If you go back to Aesir, pull up the map and go to the levels by pressing 'X' there, you play the different and more challenging variations of the levels.

Thanks. I had run a few locked MP games to skip the story. I guess this might do the same.

I played my first MP today and it was pretty fun. I think the berserker I was playing with started getting ticked off because I didn't know about not shooting dark polarities. Oops. Other than some major glitching with the elevator at the boss it was very cool. He was about 8 levels ahead of me and the difficulty was brutal. I liked it. Too bad SK knights didn't let people adjust the leveling.

After work tomorrow I should finally have my copy.
Man, it's so painful waiting for PAL releases sometimes...

I can't decide between Champion and Defender, suggestions?

Anyone see epic drops yet? A friend just hit 50 and we've seen nothing so far, I'm 48. I'm guessing Helheim is the best place to search for it. Surely it's not only dropped by bosses?

Played some more Ice Forest during my lunch break....Yeah I've died a couple times, but hasn't made me fustrated. Kudos to Sterchi about using Fierce attacks to take out primed polarities...awesome blast radius they do to foes around them!

I'm lovin' the game though :D

robut said:
Anyone see epic drops yet? A friend just hit 50 and we've seen nothing so far, I'm 48. I'm guessing Helheim is the best place to search for it. Surely it's not only dropped by bosses?

Its not only dropped by bosses. I've actually just gotten my first one (World Serpent). When you get it you will know by a gregorian chant like soundclip. You do not have to be anywhere close to level 50, I'm at lvl 30 with the dude I got it with.

Zertez

Hel is a good place to find reds, if you can make good time. Commandos do really well here. I have a red helm and bp at lvl 33 on my commando. Bp is commando specific, so it is extra nice. Almost have reload speed stat capped, so he doesnt stop firing :lol Both red drops came off an obelisk, one special room, the other down in the sewers. Bosses have dropped junk for the most part in my experiences. Cyberspace is a great place to clean up. Save all the obelisk until right before you finish out the game, and then clear it. I got some really nice armor(lvl 44 with 4 slots) and I was only 29 at the time.

Raide

So, all we need now is 4 player co-op and to bump the level cap up a little more. :D
I do feel like 50 is a little low for this type of game. Considering that most of the coolest gear is end game too.

Damn waiting for the PAL release sucks. :lol

mm04

Wow, some of you guys are level 50 already? How many hours did you put in to get there? I still haven't opened my box yet. Just got home from a long business trip last night and I'm too exhausted to sit down on my couch and give this game the attention that I want to for it. I did deliver a copy to my nephews last night and they started cranking away on a Commando and a Defender for themselves.

I really do hope the game sells well. It seems that from Microsoft's statement that they're excited about the trilogy, makes me think that there were enough pre-order/early sales to warrant moving on to the next episode.

I'm glad to read that even though there are faults, the core gameplay seems to be fun. The right stick combat was a big gamble but it looks like it was well suited for the game and not a deal breaker. If SK puts the feedback to use for part 2, they'll have the makings of a very good sequel. If you like the game now, addressing the issues for next time can only make it a better experience.

VaLiancY

I'm very hyped for the second game after playing this. SK just needs to flesh out characters, tweak the combat, add in more variety of firearms for the second game and you'll have my $60 bucks.

Has anyone gotten the Show No Mercy achievement?

It says kill 25 people with one battle cry. I don't even think the Defender has an offensive battle cry?

VaLiancY

xxjuicesxx said:

It says kill 25 people with one battle cry. I don't even think the Defender has an offensive battle cry?

The Defender still has a passive buff. Just kill 25 folks while its active.

Beat the game yesterday. Pretty much on par with ev everyone else around here. Roughly 15 hours at at Level 29. I've played a bit since then and have gotten to Level 31. Best drops I'm seeing so far are Orange.

Overall, I was surprised how quickly the game was over. I expected it would take me longer, even though I was reading everyone else's times to completion. I thought the story was decent, and really set some things up for the next one, provided we get it. That final image, right before the credits rolled, was completely bad ass.

I agree with what most everyone has been saying about the boss fights. They were far too repetitive, and there wasn't anything to really distinguish any of them, outside of the set-up on the story.

VaLiancY said:
The Defender still has a passive buff. Just kill 25 folks while its active.
Yep! In my opinion, the best Defender build lies in maxing the first four skills, and then maxing the middle branch. (Which contains the mentioned battle cry.)

VaLiancY

U K Narayan said:
Yep! In my opinion, the best Defender build lies in maxing the first four skills, and then maxing the middle branch. (Which contains the mentioned battle cry.)

I was reading up on their skill tree and I might roll that one next. I hate missiles and knockdown and enjoy taking a beating.:lol

VaLiancY said:
I was reading up on their skill tree and I might roll that one next. I hate missiles and knockdown and enjoy taking a beating.:lol
This build emphasizes the Defender on being a tank, so, you won't have much trouble there. :lol

Heh. Being a Defender makes me feel like Sauron from The Lord of The Rings series.

Yea the defender is so solid. Almost made it through world 2 with no deaths. Only died 8 times the entire way through.

Edit: Actually I just pulled an all nighter playing for 8 hours straight. Went from Hall of Heroes to the end of the game with my defender. :lol :lol

I'm bout halfway THERE.

Doodis

xxjuicesxx said:

This description is actually incorrect. It's 25 kills with one ruiner. I earned the achievement with my cybernetic defender. And it was definitely after using a ruiner, not a battle cry.

I got it when using a battlecry for sure, it was on accident too >< Also I beat the game at like 5 am finally. I shut down right when it hit the title screen. I want to keep playing it with my 28 zerker to level him to 50 and gear his ass. Do I just use the continue feature like normal or how do I replay the levels to do this?

DarkAngelYuna said:
I got it when using a battlecry for sure, it was on accident too >< Also I beat the game at like 5 am finally. I shut down right when it hit the title screen. I want to keep playing it with my 28 zerker to level him to 50 and gear his ass. Do I just use the continue feature like normal or how do I replay the levels to do this?

Continue Campaign or Multiplayer. If you go through the ending cinematics the game will sort of restart and you can do the game over again.

Or you can select the levels on any map. This gives alternate enemy layout.

xxjuicesxx said:
I have it on Purple.

When you have it on a color that means anything BELOW it gets automatically salvaged right?

If you put it on purple it's going to salvage all purple, blue, greens and grey items.

At level 30 I have mine set to blue and am perfectly happy with the result. My guy is decked out in most orange armor but occasionally finds a nice upgrade with a purple weapon. Everything lower than purple goes to money.

I can even see myself eventually setting it to purple to start cashing those in too.

Soroc

Doodis said:
This description is actually incorrect. It's 25 kills with one ruiner. I earned the achievement with my cybernetic defender. And it was definitely after using a ruiner, not a battle cry.

There is one for the battle cry also :D I got it with my bioengineer. Perhaps its a secret achievement?

So are "Epic Sets" technically only the ones from Red Blueprints? Like, if I cobble together an full matching set of Orange Armor Blueprints does that not "count" as "Epic"? And does anyone have a list of full sets? It's kind of hard to tell sometimes.

Just finished my first run through Hall of Heroes, post-game. LOT of fun. So pissed though, I had GRENDLZ down to like a SLIVER and I fucking died. Didn't realize he was immune to ballistics (I think) until it was too late. And I was doing so well.

:(

Finally got my first piece of Red loot, so that's exciting.

Right now I'm focusing on the Charms and their "quests". That's sort of fun.

Overall, this game just keeps feeding you stuff to do. I can see this being a sort of single player Halo 3 multiplayer kind of game for me, in terms of an evergreen game that I can always go back to and do something.

Top Bottom