• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
I guess it's cool that they will be showing the unaired episodes.

But on the other hand who gives a fuck about Beware the Batman. Literally the worst DC show they could have picked.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mark Hamill has stated the only way he'll reprise his role as The Joker is if they do an adaptation of The Killing Joke.
Make it happen DC! Your animated films are the only good thing you have going these days (fuck the New 52, and Superman vs Batman sounds like a trainwreck)

New 52 Batman has been consistently good.

Seda

DeMarco replied to me that GitS 2nd Gig will eventually air (not unexpected), so I'll won't watch that ahead of time.

daveo42

Banned
Well, that sounds rather disappointing. Going to be even harder to try and making it to Jack once they throw Beware the Batman on. Maybe I'll try and squeeze in a nap from 3-430am.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
New 52 Batman has been consistently good.

That's the one book everyone says is still good. While I'm glad there's good Batman stories, I'm disappointed that DC is all about Batman again. It's kind of tiresome.

Is Beware the Batman bad because it doesn't compare to previous animated Batman shows or what?

It's... well...
The early parts are kind of boring, it does eventually comes into its own.
The writers made the interesting decision of only including obscure characters as villains (and sidekicks). There's no Robin or Batgirl (though teenage Barbara Gordon does show up), rather Bats teams up with Katana. There's no Joker, Two-Face, Riddler, or Scarecrow, rather you see villains like Professor Pyg, Anarky, Lady Shiva, and Magpie (admittedly, she was the best part of the show).

It's... well...
The early parts are kind of boring, it does eventually comes into its own.
The writers made the interesting decision of only including obscure characters as villains (and sidekicks). There's no Robin or Batgirl (though teenage Barbara Gordon does show up), rather Bats teams up with Katana. There's no Joker, Two-Face, Riddler, or Scarecrow, rather you see villains like Professor Pyg, Anarky, Lady Shiva, and Magpie (admittedly, she was the best part of the show).

But is the show good or not? You can have obscure characters and still tell good stories or bad stories with them. I know I'm gonna dislike the cg-i style already but if the action/story is good I'll be able to enjoy it

BatDan

But is the show good or not? You can have obscure characters and still tell good stories or bad stories with them. I know I'm gonna dislike the cg-i style already but if the action/story is good I'll be able to enjoy it

Hmmm
*tries to remember the stories* ...... Damn.
In that case, I can't say the stories are any good. I can barely remember them.

Raxus

I'll give BtB a shot. I feel we need to give some other DC heroes a shot following the success of Arrow.

We already had great showcase fit obscure and Silverage Batman with Brave and the Bold and Young Justice.

I really want a Wonder Woman series.

DominoKid

nah it's pretty trash. i'm not sure why Toonami even wants to bother with it.

BatDan

I think it says something that the most memorable part of Beware the Batman is Magpie running around in an outfit so not appropriate for kids TV.

I do remember that the show was heavily edited after the Aurora Colorado theater shooting.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would much rather have Young Justice. =/

tumblr_n326valC221sv9k5oo1_r1_500.gif

I own Beware on Amazon actually but still haven't gotten around to watching any of it...

BatDan

CASS CAIN FOR ANIMATED UNIVERSE PLZ

Seriously, Cassandra needs some love, as does Stephanie Brown. It's such a crime that DC is completely shoving these characters into the horrid abyss of lim-
*click*
DC Comics, a subsidiary of Time Warner, is better off not having those two, and to remind you that Barbara Gordon is and was the only Batgirl. I am saying this of my own volition, and certainly not pressured by DC's ninja.

Well at least the show is short and probably free, 18 episodes will go by in a snap, it should end before AoT and Dandy S2 ends speaking of let me go update that end date list

Toonami End Dates

IGPX: April 26th, 2014
GitS (1st GIG only): May 3rd, 2014
Blue Exorcist: August 9th, 2014
Black Lagoon: August 30th, 2014
Beware The Batman: September 6th, 2014
Space Dandy: September 27th, 2014 (assuming S2 premiers when S1 finishes it's rerun and S2 is 13 episodes)
Bleach: October 11th 2014
Attack on Titan: October 18th, 2014
Naruto (1st 52 episodes): December 28th, 2014
Samurai Jack: January 24th, 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: May 16th, 2015
Clone Wars: September 12th, 2015
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It got very good near episode 13, much better already than I remember The Batman being at least.

Tamanon

Banned
Space Dandy: September 27th, 2014 (assuming S2 premiers when S1 finishes it's rerun and S2 is 13 episodes)

This period is going to be a real test of Toonami's appeal. Will be interesting to see how it goes when the big guns retire.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Batman gets a lot better as it goes along, though it never fixes some of the design issues.

When AoT was announced I almost posted that gee, GITS and 2nd Gig are technically different shows and I wondered if something was coming but dismissed it.

The first episode(s) of 2nd Gig are some of my favorite. BtB was awful though I only watched half of the first episode and more new stuff is always good.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well at least the show is short and probably free, 18 episodes will go by in a snap, it should end before AoT and Dandy S2 ends speaking of let me go update that end date list

Toonami End Dates

Beware The Batman: September 6th, 2014

Beware the Batman is a 26 episode series.

Beware the Batman is a 26 episode series.

Wait so CN just decided to not air episodes to a show that were already made? LOL what the heck

Beware The Batman: November 1st, 2014

Fixed

You new to Cartoon Network or something? :D

I did live in a place where i didn't have the network from like 2000 ~ 2008 and at that point I was in college, it's only recently that I've begun to pay attention to their stuff more.

Also I'm gonna call it now, this fall when Attack on Titan, Blue Exorcist, Space Dandy, Black Lagoon, and Bleach all end Fairy Tail will be one of the replacement shows.

Jintor

Seriously, Cassandra needs some love, as does Stephanie Brown. It's such a crime that DC is completely shoving these characters into the horrid abyss of lim-
*click*
DC Comics, a subsidiary of Time Warner, is better off not having those two, and to remind you that Barbara Gordon is and was the only Batgirl. I am saying this of my own volition, and certainly not pressured by DC's ninja.

Fuckin' make BATGIRLS you fuckers

fuckin' BARBARA GORDON. Fuckin' CASS CAIN. STEPH BROWN. Throw in some fuckin' BIRDS OF PREY. Toss a little MISFIT in there. BLACK ALICE. RENEE MONTOYA. CAPS FOR EMPHASIS. Corner that fuckin' market! Sell fuckin nedronoids, i dunno!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so is Bleach actually supposed to be good? I don't understand why it gets good time slots and ratings

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
so is Bleach actually supposed to be good? I don't understand why it gets good time slots and ratings

Being good and being popular/marketable are two completely different things.

Bleach WAS good for what it was at one point, though. Unfortunately that was about 300 episodes ago.

Bleach is really popular one of the big 3 with Naruto and One Piece

Bleach manga and anime suffers from pacing problems which hurts it for a lot of people, the anime has a lot of really bad filler arcs often in the middle of canon story lines and then it has to go back and adapt poorly paced manga chapters IE a well paced episode of Bleach can adapt 5-7 chapters of the manga without rushing anything.

The beginning arcs of Bleach are really damn good, the bigger problem pops up during the Arracar arc where Kubo's (Bleach's author) biggest writing flaw gets exposed, Kubo to get over writing blocks introduces new groups of characters leading to the series feeling really bloated. It's not just that he has a lot of characters but he gives them all screen time which drags the story to a crawl during the big war scenes. Combine this with by the numbers shonen fights and it creates a problem where you're average person will say something like "I used to really enjoy Bleach until the Arracar arc then blah blah blah".

Honestly it's problems are not as bad if you watch or read it in a marathon, but watching it weekly can be very draining. I still enjoy the series though it is flawed.

You can also expect the rest of the responses to this question to be far more negative or positive then mine as Bleach can lead to very divided opinions lol

I hated what I saw of BtB so I stopped watching it. While I'm glad that I was able to sleep in on Saturdays, I'm sadden that my actions directly led to the death of DC Nation.

MikeMyers

And a better protagonist than DBZ!

I dunno about that.

Does Ichigo allow Dr. Gero to create Androids that have been proven to take over the world, refuse to take medicine even with the knowledge he'll die from the disease, allow Buu to be released and then force his 7 year old kid with no experience to fight him despite having the ability to defeat Buu himself, or be called a hopeless case of a human being by his creator himself?

Fuck you Saiyans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huh? We see Ichigo in pretty much every episode that isn't a random one-off filler. Goku spends half of DBZ dead.

I dunno, there were times we didn't see Ichigo for weeks at a time. Not recently, but it is a trend. Especially while all the captains are fighting. Goku may be dead half the time but at least we see him every other episode.

MikeMyers

Goku isn't even in the Garlic Jr filler arc, and he isn't in the Great Saiyaman arc either.

He's segregated from the cast through most of Saiyan/Namek, but he is shown training. In the Cell arc he spends the majority of it in bed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Despite being "dead" or missing he only misses what, 4 episodes before Trunks and maybe 6 or so with Gohan as Saiyaman? His longest stretch of not being on the show is after the heart attack and even then they show him every other episode.

Garlic Junior might actually be the longest single segment with no Goku.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Goku isn't even in the Garlic Jr filler arc, and he isn't in the Great Saiyaman arc either.

He's segregated from the cast through most of Saiyan/Namek, but he is shown training. In the Cell arc he spends the majority of it in bed.

He has the entire arc before Saiyaman to himself and during the Cell arc they show him in bed yelling and whatnot a lot. Outside of the Garlic Junior filler we see quite a bit of him, even if all he's doing is training or being sick.

Despite being "dead" or missing he only misses what, 4 episodes before Trunks and maybe 6 or so with Gohan as Saiyaman? His longest stretch of not being on the show is after the heart attack and even then they show him every other episode.

Garlic Junior might actually be the longest single segment with no Goku.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom