• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I miss Kai.

EDIT: One Piece is still before either of those. Next episode is
Franky Backstory with Tom's Company

MikeMyers

Vegeta, end of Cell Saga: I'LL NEVER FIGHT AGAIN

Vegeta, beginning of Buu Saga: I'VE BEEN TRAINING 7 YEARS TO SURPASS YOU GOHAN

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pound for pound the run OP goes on between them showing up at Water 7 and the first bit of filler in the next arc is the strongest of any anime I've ever seen. Hell if it wasn't for that break I'd say the streak runs all the way from 220-315 or so. That's an incredible amount of content with only that bit of filler to hold it down. Even then the character specific stuff will be handy for certain people in this thread who never watched the first 200 episodes.

Squalor

I'm pretty sure these Saiyaman episodes are the only time Gohan has a personality beyond that of milquetoast.
He had some moments during Namek.

And despite how much I hated his deus ex machina hero-arc for the Cell Saga, once he got into battle, he was pretty-damn cool for a little bit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really like Gohan in the pre Cell games filler with mercenary tao and I do like his whole bit of doubting himself before Cell, then not wanting to kill him, then wanting to kill him after its seemingly too late bit in that arc. It's done well.

I absolutely love his arc in the entire Buu saga though, even with him failing at the end.

daveo42

Banned
Pound for pound the run OP goes on between them showing up at Water 7 and the first bit of filler in the next arc is the strongest of any anime I've ever seen. Hell if it wasn't for that break I'd say the streak runs all the way from 220-315 or so. That's an incredible amount of content with only that bit of filler to hold it down. Even then the character specific stuff will be handy for certain people in this thread who never watched the first 200 episodes.

Yeah, this is the best arc of One Piece I've seen so far and only one other arcs in the manga that are close are the current arc and the arc after next.

the sea train is about 4 or 5 episodes too long

Squalor

Canon arc to arc, Alabasta to Jaiya to Skypiea to Water 7 to Enies Lobby is an all-time great run.

Thriller Bark
screwed things up after that, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Today's One Piece episode is Franky's past right?

I expect feels.

Eeeeh.

Not quite, there are three episodes of this. The real feels won't start until the second episode and won't crash down until the third. The third can be pretty devastating.

Canon arc to arc, Alabasta to Jaiya to Skypiea to Water 7 to Enies Lobby is an all-time great run.

That arc is great story wise, it's just when the 1:1 pacing has a noticeable impact, the only arcs I feel were really hurt by the 1:1 pacing are
Thriller Bark, Impel Down, and Fishman Isle
the other canon arcs the 1:1 pacing isn't really noticeable.

MikeMyers

He had some moments during Namek.

And despite how much I hated his deus ex machina hero-arc for the Cell Saga, once he got into battle, he was pretty-damn cool for a little bit.

His power-ups are last minute ass pulls. His rage boosts are inconsistent and unprecedented. He barley features in the arc where he's supposed to be the main hero. Also, he became the strongest person in the universe at one point (by sitting on his ass, of course), yet not only does he not defeat the main bad guy, he loses and makes the bad guy stronger. That's like Vegeta+Piccolo+all humans combined fail at once.

Saiyaman is great though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Thriller Bark

That arc has some AMAZING costumes though.
Robin
will be elevated back to waifu tier for a lot of forumers in two years.

EDIT: Pacing wise the only arc I didn't like very much at 1:1 was
War of the Best
and that's also the only arc I prefer the manga for.

Squalor

His power-ups are last minute ass pulls. His rage boosts are inconsistent and unprecedented. He barley features in the arc where he's supposed to be the main hero. Also, he became the strongest person in the universe at one point (by sitting on his ass, of course), yet not only does he not defeat the main bad guy, he loses and makes the bad guy stronger. That's like Vegeta+Piccolo+all humans combined fail at once.

Saiyaman is great though.
I just said I hated the way the arc is written.

However, the character development is handled well. It's a weird mix. Saiyaman is just goofy. He's not really great. It's the first time Gohan got to be comic relief, so it was unexpected.

Squalor

That arc is great story wise, it's just when the 1:1 pacing has a noticeable impact, the only arcs I feel were really hurt by the 1:1 pacing are
Thriller Bark, Impel Down, and Fishman Isle
the other canon arcs the 1:1 pacing isn't really noticeable.
That arc has some AMAZING costumes though.
Robin
will be elevated back to waifu tier for a lot of forumers in two years.

EDIT: Pacing wise the only arc I didn't like very much at 1:1 was
War of the Best
and that's also the only arc I prefer the manga for.
I agree the pacing was off. That's why I said it screwed things up.

My biggest problem with
Thriller Bark
is the antagonist, though.

For a Shichibukai,
Gekko Moria
was awful.

Aside from a pretty lame power, his character development was practically non-existent, and the Kaido excuse was so cliché.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just said I hated the way the arc is written.

However, the character development is handled well. It's a weird mix. Saiyaman is just goofy. He's not really great. It's the first time Gohan got to be comic relief, so it was unexpected.

It was goofy, but Gohan needed some development. He's a guy that spent most of his life fighting or studying so you can't expect him to be smooth. All in all I really liked that section of DBZ, it was different and fun. I wish it had gone on longer.

i went into the DBZ Kai thread and found this

i7Shc1Xj3hG7V.gif

how dare you, Andrex

Squalor

No you don't.

If tonight's episode is when Naruto fights Haku, yes, yes, we do.

Castle is that mid-tier-qualit show that got lucky and found a fanbase. It's by no means great, but it has fans who show up and watch it on television weekly, so it stays on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom