• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
So are we getting weekly subbed Kai or is this a one time deal? Also, 8pm Toonami too or Adult Swim taking over going forward?

Jintor

It has nathan fillion as a crime-busting author. that sounded like it was worth an investigatory watch, but why would I start from season 6?

hulu's a fucking piece of shit, aside from their criterion collection

Squalor

It has nathan fillion as a crime-busting author. that sounded like it was worth an investigatory watch, but why would I start from season 6?

hulu's a fucking piece of shit, aside from their criterion collection
The fact that Hulu's paid subscription still has ads and commercials has turned me off from ever wanting to use the service.

Plus, the selection is inferior to its competition.
Any best DB/Z Openings discussion that doesn't end with "Rock the Dragon" is wrong

#truthfact
The "best openings" conversations all had an implied "aside from the god-tier "Rock the Dragon."

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Boy, it would be nice to watch Jojo Stardust Crusaders on Crunchyroll! *tells me to sign up* I don't wanna!
I don't really watch anime outside of One Piece and whatever's on Toonami. I prefer manga...

If Crunchyroll got Super Hero Time Tokusatsu, then I'd sign up in an instant.

Jintor

Paying for Hulu lol why on earth would you do that?

Fucking autorenew got me. I wanted to watch some Kurosawa a few months back so I paid for a month, then put it on hold assuming they'd email me before they take me off hold. Nope, the fuckers just charge to your account the moment your hold expires. Pieces of shit.

Boy, it would be nice to watch Jojo Stardust Crusaders on Crunchyroll! *tells me to sign up* I don't wanna!
I don't really watch anime outside of One Piece and whatever's on Toonami. I prefer manga...

If Crunchyroll got Super Hero Time Tokusatsu, then I'd sign up in an instant.

I have a few one month guest passes lying around if you want one

Some people really like watching stuff on their tv, but really Hulu has such overlap with Netflix and Crunchyroll that its only worth watching it for a very small subset of shows that i'd rather just get for free on my laptop. (I was actually just thinking yesterday of what would be the cheapest cord cutting options if I ever wanted to do such a thing)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hulu will always give you a month free if you try and cancel it, sneaky bastards.

My mom signed up for it awhile ago thinking a show she wanted to catch up on was on there (it was actually on Amazon Prime) and when I went to cancel it for her they gave her another month, which I used.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have a few one month guest passes lying around if you want one

Nah, you can keep them. I'm sure CR will allow Jojo free eventually.

Hulu will always give you a month free if you try and cancel it, sneaky bastards.

My mom signed up for it awhile ago thinking a show she wanted to catch up on was on there (it was actually on Amazon Prime) and when I went to cancel it for her they gave her another month, which I used.

Suddenly those old Hulu commercials about it being a plan for world domination aren't so funny.

Squalor

Fucking autorenew got me. I wanted to watch some Kurosawa a few months back so I paid for a month, then put it on hold assuming they'd email me before they take me off hold. Nope, the fuckers just charge to your account the moment your hold expires. Pieces of shit.
Auto-renewals should be illegal. It's pathetic. Just about all popular subscription services do it now, too.

Netflix has Kurosawa films . . . and a superior selection overall.

Got baited like a sucker :p

Jintor

Auto-renewals should be illegal. It's pathetic. Just about all popular subscription services do it now, too.

Netflix has Kurosawa films . . . and a superior selection overall.

Yeah, but they didn't have Rashonon which is what I wanted to watch at the time

honestly, I should've just... obtained it in an alternate fashion

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another thing I hated was when Hulu first came to the Wii (right after they got the criterion collection so a decent time to sign up) Nintendo offered a month free. I get it and then that same day go eh, this is cool and all but I'll just cancel the autorenewal. Canceling that on a free membership means they cancel your membership right then and there.

Squalor

Yeah, but they didn't have Rashonon which is what I wanted to watch at the time

honestly, I should've just... obtained it in an alternate fashion
How long ago was that?

Netflix has had Rashōmon since 2010, unless, they had it in 2010, then lost it at some point in the future.

Squalor

If Naruto: Shippuden's director isn't lying his ass off about airing canon episodes for the rest of the year starting later this month, I would be so happy.
i just did a search, it's DVD only acc. my browser
Oh, okay.

That's too bad.

Haha, yeah, maybe you should have just gone an alternative route.

Another thing I hated was when Hulu first came to the Wii (right after they got the criterion collection so a decent time to sign up) Nintendo offered a month free. I get it and then that same day go eh, this is cool and all but I'll just cancel the autorenewal. Canceling that on a free membership means they cancel your membership right then and there.

I think crunchyroll does this too so I was planning to just like time it right but ended up forgetting and getting charged.

I'm fine with paying for Crunchyroll while Emilie pays for Netflix since those services at least have no ads, Hulu could have the best collect in the world but it having ads no matter what along with being free on laptops means plus is a joke.

Seda

Pretty much every free trial ends with an paid auto-renewal unless you explicitly exit the trial before the period ends.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hulu Plus is good for cord cutters who still need certain network shows the next day. Even then a lot of them could just get a halfway decent antenna and get almost all of those shows OTA, also for free.

Everything else besides their movies can be obtained for free by hooking up a pc to your screen of choice. Netflix is great. Free Hulu is great for subbed anime, mixed on dub. Crunchyroll is even better on subbed anime, lol on dubbed stuff (besides Kenshin, which is pretty great.)

EDIT:

Pretty much every free trial ends with an paid auto-renewal unless you explicitly exit the trial before the period ends.

Of course, this is fine and to be expected. What I hate is when they offer you a month free and the instant you cancel it the service drops. Netflix and Amazon do not do this. Hulu and Crunchyroll do. They even do it if you end a paid membership at any time. They don't just shut you off the day your trial or paid service time ends.

The biggest cord cutting problems for me are football and Toonami, I like Maddow and MHP but I could live without them. A digital Antenna or Aereo is probably decent for the former , I'd have to mooch a cable account if I wanted to watch Adult Swim/CN online.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crunchyroll really needs to get Chromecast support. They make an app for fricking VITA and no Chromecast?
zWVbK.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The biggest cord cutting problems for me are football and Toonami, I like Maddow and MHP but I could live without them. A digital Antenna or Aereo is probably decent for the former , I'd have to mooch a cable account if I wanted to watch Adult Swim/CN online.

Everything but MNF will be OTA next year so you should see what your options are with an antenna.

Then all you would need would be an espn account and a CN account and you'd be free. Both are available from literally anyone you know with cable.

Levyne

Banned
Everything but MNF will be OTA next year so you should see what your options are with an antenna.

Then all you would need would be an espn account and a CN account and you'd be free. Both are available from literally anyone you know with cable.

Even the back half of TNF?

Can't live without my TNF.

My cable sub also has Redzone, which I can't live without.

Squalor

I mean, auto-renew was the reason AOL stayed afloat as an ISP for an extra couple years!
"Couple years"? AOL still offers Internet to this day.
You could always follow Toonami in alternative ways. You'd just have to check the schedule to make sure you're following suit.
I couldn't cut as I like live-reactions and a big screen.
Why wouldn't you just hook up your computer to your television?

I don't watch anything on my computer, anymore. There's no point when I have a fifty-inch television.

But if everyone cut cable then no one would have a cable account

Squalor

There are plenty of people in rural environments who can't get high-speed Internet and will keep their cable/satellite subscriptions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I forgot that the NFL network has the other eight Thursday Night games. TNF sucks though, awful presentation, awful slate of games.

Squalor

I forgot that the NFL network has the other eight Thursday Night games. TNF sucks though, awful presentation, awful slate of games.
Some Thursday Night Football games from last season:

San Francisco blowout of St. Louis.

Bills-Browns

Chargers-Raiders

Panthers blowout of Buccaneers.

Bengals-Dolphins

Redskins-Vikings

Texans-Jaguars

Terrible.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bills Browns was HILARIOUS though. I remember switching between that and baseball and everytime I did another QB was injured. Fun game all in all.

bigkrev

Levyne said:
Can't live without my TNF.

Of course you couldn't.

If the Lita so each was anything to go by, WWE HOF induction isn't going to be over till 1 am, so thankfully I won't have to watch Bleach or Naruto!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I only watch CN and sports these days. I could probably use a proxy to get the optimal MLB tv experience, just watch the network broadcast NFL games, borrow someone's credentials for espn and CN and get by.

So in the end I'd pay for.

WWE Network
Netflix
MLB.tv

and that's it. I'd buy HBO if it ever went a la carte.

bigkrev

I only watch CN and sports these days. I could probably use a proxy to get the optimal MLB tv experience, just watch the network broadcast NFL games, borrow someone's credentials for espn and CN and get by.

So in the end I'd pay for.

WWE Network
Netflix
MLB.tv

and that's it. I'd buy HBO if it ever went a la carte.

Same list for me, but I'd need NHL Center Ice (and a proxy for that). I'd somehow need to find a way to watch Raw each week, and the national broadcast games blacked out on NHL and MLB

Tenumi

Banned
Living with parents (and brother/his partner), so I couldn't get rid of cable even if I wanted to. Which I don't.

Wow. I'm a ton more awake than I was an hour ago. I think I can do this.

LOLDSFAN

I pretty much only watch Toonami and Survivor on TV.

I can watch Survivor on cbs.com the next day so that can get crossed out.

So when I get my own place, I don't know if I'll keep cable or not.
wtzgU.gif

I could do that thing where I use someone else's Comcast account and watch it on my laptop. Yeeeeah that could work.

Living with parents (and brother/his partner), so I couldn't get rid of cable even if I wanted to. Which I don't.

Wow. I'm a ton more awake than I was an hour ago. I think I can do this.

Just grab a soda or an energy drink and crack it open at 12 and you'll be fine for the 6.5 hour challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom