• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Hunter x Hunter BTW? I want to get into a new series and everyone seems to suggest that. Does it fall into the same Shounen pitfalls as other series?

Moaradin

How is Hunter x Hunter BTW? I want to get into a new series and everyone seems to suggest that. Does it fall into the same Shounen pitfalls as other series?

Nope. It subverts a lot of the typical shounen troupes. Sometimes I wonder if it's even shounen anymore, and actually seinen lol.

I think it's by far the best shounen manga/anime out there right now.

Raxus

I don't know how FreeMufasa is still tagless.

Or not banned

He never did anything worthy of being banned aside from making a few (hilarious) troll topics making fun of gaffers. Even then it was sly enough that most people didn't get the joke or that FM is sitting back in his chair with a cup of joe laughing his ass off.

He never did anything worthy of being banned aside from making a few (hilarious) troll topics making fun of gaffers. Even then it was sly enough that most people didn't get the joke or that FM is sitting back in his chair with a cup of joe laughing his ass off.

Considering the one going on in gaming side, even obvious ones are cruising over the heads of a surprisingly large amount of people.

daveo42

Banned
Nope. It subverts a lot of the typical shounen troupes. Sometimes I wonder if it's even shounen anymore, and actually seinen lol.

I think it's by far the best shounen manga/anime out there right now.

I pretty much agree with this. Really really good manga, but I can't say anything about the anime. I will say that early on it does have some shounen tropes, but they are pretty minimal and mostly fall off after it gets going.

Also, some of the best antagonists in any manga/anime ever.

4I7Tywx.png

<3

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

If anything it betrays the pitfalls more than any other shonen I've seen. Arcs never really end in the way you expect, and character motivations are incredibly well detailed. Combine this with an interesting world and set of rules, and throw on some of the best modern anime animation coming out of Japan, and you have a genre-leading show.

tumblr_mzb37mTC7L1tnzazno1_250.gif
tumblr_mzb37mTC7L1tnzazno2_250.gif

tumblr_mzb37mTC7L1tnzazno3_250.gif
tumblr_mzb37mTC7L1tnzazno4_250.gif

Hunting for your dream!

tumblr_n2rptkcE4S1rlowvvo1_1280.jpg

I also recommend HxH; I'd say it's the best anime I've seen since History's Strongest Disciple. There's only one mediocre arc, everything else is aces.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter X Hunter is the number 2 Weekly Shounen Jump series after only One Piece. It's good shit, despite having one of the most boring and generic shounen protagonists you'll ever see.

I really need to watch the currently running anime, though. I only did watch like the first episode or two of it and decided to set it aside until it built up a lot of episodes.

Moaradin

Hunter X Hunter is the number 2 Weekly Shounen Jump series after only One Piece. It's good shit, despite having one of the most boring and generic shounen protagonists you'll ever see.

Gon is anything but boring and generic, especially considering the Chimera Ant arc.

Seda

Sometimes 'hype' can raise my interest and sometimes quite the opposite, depending. The comments in here about hxh make me curious/interested in the show, particularly how it it said to subvert tropes and whatnot. An action show that doesn't always fall back on friendship and 'never give up'? Definitely nice to hear anyway.

Kill La Kill hype was kinda the opposite initially as I perceived it as mostly people 'freaking out' over seemingly every episode - made it seem like it was just there for shock value, or style over substance. I grounded that perception with Ami's write ups though. Still probably not a show I would care for much.

bigkrev

I don't hate Hunter x Hunter
But the way people talk about it subverting tropes and stuff- this is still a long running weekly published Shounen series. It suffers from all the same problems those suffer from. If your OK with that, great! Your going to love it. But if your sick of these never ending Shounens like One Piece, Naruto, ect, it's not all that different.

I've wanted to get into Hunter X Hunter for the longest time but the hiatus always keep me away from it.

I really don't like how much time the author seems to takes off.

It's much darker than Naruto/One Piece and doesn't have a ridiculous number of characters to follow so the development is much better in my opinion. The pacing is good too.

bigkrev

It's much darker than Naruto/One Piece and doesn't have a ridiculous number of characters to follow so the development is much better in my opinion. The pacing is good too.

Disagree 100%- I wouldn't have fallen off if this was true. This arc has draggggggggggeeeeeeddddddd.

Moaradin

Disagree 100%- I wouldn't have fallen off if this was true. This arc has draggggggggggeeeeeeddddddd.

I don't agree at all. So much has happened in the last 20 episodes. Characters aren't ever standing around explaining what they just did to their opponent all episode. HxH's pacing is much better than the other big shounen in that regard. Just because time has passed very slowly the past dozen episodes does not mean that very little is happening.

Also, catch up with the show. This weeks episode is one of the best, if not THE best episode in the entire series so far.

LOLDSFAN

Never got an answer to this so i'll ask again,.
When is the next Q&A?

I'm not sure. Anyway I got you covered.

I heard Attack on Titan may come to Toonami, is this true?

- You heard right, AoT is coming to Toonami on May 3. Prepare your Titans!

Will Space Dandy season two come back at the 11:30 slot?

- We're still working out how that will pan out so stay tuned for details in the future!

Where's the comic?

I don't hate Hunter x Hunter
But the way people talk about it subverting tropes and stuff- this is still a long running weekly published Shounen series. It suffers from all the same problems those suffer from. If your OK with that, great! Your going to love it. But if your sick of these never ending Shounens like One Piece, Naruto, ect, it's not all that different.

This is wrong and until you actually, you know, finish the chimera ant arc you really can't comment. Everything that happens in that arc is very deliberate including its slower and faster parts. Unless your idea of good pacing is FMA:B condense 2 monthly chapters worth of content into 20 minutes which if thats the case you'll never be happy with any anime ever

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is wrong and until you actually, you know, finish the chimera ant arc you really can't comment. Everything that happens in that arc is very deliberate including its slower and faster parts. Unless your idea of good pacing is FMA:B condense 2 monthly chapters worth of content into 20 minutes which if thats the case you'll never be happy with any anime ever

Inuyasha Final Act blows even early brotherhood out of the water. It's impressively condensed. The first episode is like a volume of the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom