• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is his backstory useless? He was a troubled kid taken in by his grandfather after his parents died. This is one reason why Ichigo and Chad were able to form a bond so quickly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seeing the SAO game thread on the newest trailer makes me wonder if anyone will call it the smartest game in years.

bigkrev

Seeing the SAO game thread on the newest trailer makes me wonder if anyone will call it the smartest game in years.

Some people in that thread are like "wow, I saw there was a lot of hate for SAO. Wonder why- I liked it!", and it causes me great concern.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Some people in that thread are like "wow, I saw there was a lot of hate for SAO. Wonder why- I liked it!", and it causes me great concern.
I don't mind if people like it (to each their own & honestly, if I was younger in my mid-teens, I probably wouldn't have noticed its flaws as much as I did now), but kind of bugs me when people use the excuse "Oh people only hate this thing I like because it's popular". & that's not just for SAO, that goes for ANY anime/game/etc.

I mean, I never see anyone be like "Oh people only like this because it's popular". How popular something is shouldn't be a factor in how well a game plays, an anime tells its story, etc.

bigkrev

I don't mind if people like it (to each their own & honestly, if I was younger in my mid-teens, I probably wouldn't have noticed its flaws as much as I did now), but kind of bugs me when people use the excuse "Oh people only hate this thing I like because it's popular". & that's not just for SAO, that goes for ANY anime/game/etc.

I mean, I never see anyone be like "Oh people only like this because it's popular". How popular something is shouldn't be a factor in how well a game plays, an anime tells its story, etc.

Ugh, I hate that as well. The worst offender for that is Final Fantasy 7- I hate it because it has a terrible soundtrack, painful to look at graphics, a story that doesn't make a lick of goddamn sense except for people who consider Aeris their Waifu or ship Cloud and Sepheroth, a Materia system that basically makes every character in the game the exact same, and a horrific localization that makes it's awful story somehow even worse.

But no, the only reason anyone hates the game is because its POPULAR

daveo42

Banned

Well, at least some in that thread acknowledge the faults of the anime/manga instead of just playing it off with that "it's popular" argument. I'm fine with people genuinely liking something when they concede its faults. Nothing is perfect and I'm sure everyone has something they really like or enjoy that would be considered by some to be really bad.

Edit: And some of it comes right down to personal opinions and tastes of individuals.

If someone acknowledges , critiques and accepts the problematic elements within a show and can still like it or believes the entertainment and positive elements outweigh them , I have no problem with that. A lot of people in liking things are very defensive and uncritical about it, either dismissing complaints or making false equivalencies and non-arguments and fallacies about why those stuff don't matter.

Seda

Generally agreed. I highly doubt many people 'try' to be a contrarian if they have an against-the-grain opinion. I /do/ think some people too easily criticize the fans of something they dislike ("How could anyone like this?!") over the subject itself. I'm probably guilty of that as well at times. I guess it's tough for some people to accept that other people might value different aspects of <whatever> with disparate weights. Production values vs believable characters, or how crucial a antagonist character is to the narrative. What might be a gigantic flaw for one person is a non-issue for another, even though they acknowledge it. Sometime it's best just to recognize you may not understand another's tastes (even if that 'another' is a large group of people) and leave it at that before you get hostile over something as silly as entertainment.

When reading criticisms of things I enjoy, I tend to agree with a lot of the individual points that are brought up. It usually just comes down to something else about it that makes up the issues to a degree where the flaws don't bother me much.

This might come across as a corny 'accept those with different opinions!' blurb but honestly I think people do need to be better with how they approach disagreements when it comes to entertainment media.

Dr.Palutena said:
If someone acknowledges , critiques and accepts the problematic elements within a show and can still like it or believes the entertainment and positive elements outweigh them , I have no problem with that. A lot of people in liking things are very defensive and uncritical about it, either dismissing complaints or making false equivalencies and non-arguments and fallacies about why those stuff don't matter.

Also true, if one disagrees, they should have the ability to argue why they disagree rather than dismissing criticism outright.

This might come across as a corny 'accept those with different opinions!' blurb but honestly I think people do need to be better with how they approach disagreements when it comes to entertainment media.

I also think this is important, I hate using the "it's video games/ anime/ etc " statement especially on the times those things *do* relate back to an actual important issue of sexism/racism/etc , but in certain cases it really is like...come oooooon.

Seda

I also think this is important, I hate using the "it's video games/ anime/ etc " statement especially on the times those things *do* relate back to a actual important issue of sexism/racism/etc

Right, my comment was more with basic plotlines/characters/gameplay/production values in mind. As in, "this show is bad and you should feel bad" only said seriously and not with moral/ethical connotations. Irks me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh absolutely. I may find Bo-bobo to be hilarious, but I know its type of random, surreal humor won't appeal to everyone. I'm open with the fact that while I may enjoy certain anime or games, they won't be for everyone else & keep that in mind.

Guess it boils down to it's fine to disagree, but do it in a mature way.

Ugh, I hate that as well. The worst offender for that is Final Fantasy 7- I hate it because it has a terrible soundtrack

Had to stop reading there, this is so horribly wrong and I think FF7 is very over rated, but its sound track is fantastic one of the best in the series

Ugh, I hate that as well. The worst offender for that is Final Fantasy 7- I hate it because it has a terrible soundtrack, painful to look at graphics, a story that doesn't make a lick of goddamn sense except for people who consider Aeris their Waifu or ship Cloud and Sepheroth, a Materia system that basically makes every character in the game the exact same, and a horrific localization that makes it's awful story somehow even worse.

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT?

edit: Holy shit, for once me and Bass agree on something LOL

bigkrev

Had to stop reading there, this is so horribly wrong and I think FF7 is very over rated, but its sound track is fantastic one of the best in the series

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT?

edit: Holy shit, for once me and Bass agree on something LOL

Most there is so much Copy and Paste that Everything sounds the same.. Many of the songs just exist to annoy you with insane repetition, or overly saccharin nothingness.

There are some great tracks, but its mostly terrible.

MikeMyers

You should check how many times they lose thats the bigger indicator of a jobber

I'll do that when I get home. Just for the lolz, I'll add in Rukia a list too. I wont be doing filler though, don't want memories of the Bount Arc to return/

You think they would stop thinking of Chad as a fighter and more of the Krillin of the group.

To be fair I think Bleach jobbers will have more wins than DBZ jobbers when the manga concludes.

Krillin:
5 Wins: Bacterian, Chaozu, Saibamen (3x)
2-3 Draw/No Contest: Vegeta, Ginyu, Imperfect Cell (filler)
15-16 Loss: Goku, Jackie Chun, General Blue, Dracula, Goku, Tambourine, Piccolo, Nappa, Guldo, Recoome, Freeza, Dr. Gero (filler), Perfect Cell, Cell Jr, Dabura, Super Buu

Yamcha:
3-6 Wins: Boss Rabbit Men (2x), Invisible Man, Recoome (filler), Oiblu (filler), Gorilla (filler)
2-4 Draw/No Contest: Goku, Tambourine (filler), Saibaman, Piccolo (filler)
8 Losses: Goku, Jackie Chun, The Mummy, Tien, Kami, Dr. Gero, Cell Jr, Super Buu

Tien:
3-6 Wins: Nam (filler), Yamcha, Jackie Chun, Mercenary Tao, Burter (filler), Jeice (filler)
2-3 Draw/No Contest: Goku, Saibaman, Piccolo (filler)
7 Losses: Drum, Goku, Nappa, Android 17, Imperfect Cell, Cell Jr, Gotenks Buu

I wasn't sure how to count his 22nd Budokai fight because he though won the tournament he considered it a loss. Put it under draw.

FF7 OST is good, but FF8 & FF10 have my favourite OST.

daveo42

Banned

Most there is so much Copy and Paste that Everything sounds the same.. Many of the songs just exist to annoy you with insane repetition, or overly saccharin nothingness.

There are some great tracks, but its mostly terrible.

I can agree that the plot can be harder to follow the first time through because of the horrible translation we got, but it makes sense after plaything through the game a few times and covering all the side stories in the world. It doesn't get a pass in this regard, but it's far from impossible to understand.

The soundtrack uses similar themes throughout because and they all tie by to Aerith/Aeris because her role is vital to the progress and outcome of the story. Hell, even after
Cloud kills Sepheroth, him and his group can't do shit to Meteor and Aerith is the one to come in and save the day.
Other songs are a bit repetitive, but the Golden Saucer bit is overly sweet because it's where you go to try and forget about all of lifes problems and/or run from them.

Personally, I hold the game in high regard because it was one of the first Square RPGs I ever encountered and it blew me away when I was younger. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same situation. Some portions of it I would consider overrated only because regard it as the pinnacle of RPGs when it clearly isn't, but that's not to say it was a bad game.

Had faults? Sure, but it was still a damn fine game when it came out years ago and I personally still enjoy revisiting it now and again, even if I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses.

FF7 OST is good, but FF8 & FF10 have my favourite OST.

I'll need to go back and listen to those as I don't remember all that much from them other than a few of the main themes.

Chrono Trigger, btw, has one of the best OSTs.

Levyne

Banned
I haven't played FFVII recently enough to make a better post, but it's common and for me desirable for songs to reference bits from earlier themes, build up an overarching motiff, etc.

In FFX, which I've played more recently, I like how the Hymn of the Faith and Suteki da ne are wrapped into a good number of the other themes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All I remember about FF7's OST is that I grew so tired of the battle theme....but always dug when the boss theme kicked. I actually got so close to beating the game, but I used that save spot item waaaay too far into the final area & couldn't get back outside after realizing I needed to level up more.

Oh yeah, for you PS3 Jojo fans, the demo for All-Star Battle is out on PSN. You get Arcade Mode (3 fights) and Dio Brando (Part 1), Caesar, & Jotaro as selectable characters.

Edit: Hahahahaha Discotek Media actually licensed the School Days anime for June 24th (sub only)....and holy crap the entire 152-episode series of Fist of the North Star.

*installs WebM for NeoGaf*

Wow, this is pretty n-

*computer dies*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
*installs WebM for NeoGaf*

Wow, this is pretty n-

*computer dies*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

R9EuPf3.gif

Jintor

Realistically, I don't necessarily think people who enjoy SAO should feel bad or anything, but I do think they're probably not as overall critical of media as I am

Realistically, I don't necessarily think people who enjoy SAO should feel bad or anything, but I do think they're probably not as overall critical of media as I am

I really think it depends on the person. Not being as overly critical implies said person would like just about anything, when it could really just be a matter of tastes.

Jintor

I really think it depends on the person. Not being as overly critical implies said person would like just about anything, when it could really just be a matter of tastes.

But I feel like SAO doesn't work mechanically as well as regarding matters of taste. Like, as a constructed story, I don't think it's well told. Although apparently that doesn't particularly matter in terms of people liking it, so maybe that's full of shit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But I feel like SAO doesn't work mechanically as well as regarding matters of taste. Like, as a constructed story, I don't think it's well told. Although apparently that doesn't particularly matter in terms of people liking it, so maybe that's full of shit.

No, I agree with you. The construction, especially in the first season, was utter garbage.

Man if you guys think SAO is bad you should check out Vampire Diaries now this show really is freaking awful

At least the pacing isn't erratic and nonsensical.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man if you guys think SAO is bad you should check out Vampire Diaries now this show really is freaking awful

Really, most CW shows suck.
I can't speak for Arrow as I haven't seen it (I've heard good things), and Whose Line is always fun.
There is Supernatural, but I've heard that's been hit with seasonal rot.

Still, most CW shows suck.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Really, most CW shows suck.
I can't speak for Arrow as I haven't seen it (I've heard good things), and Whose Line is always fun.
There is Supernatural, but I've heard that's been hit with seasonal rot.

Still, most CW shows suck.

Supernatural is great, like most shows it can be hit or miss at times. Mostly hit though. When they do a good episode though, it's easily must watch TV.

The main complaint is usually that the story ended but the show kept going and so it's been unable to find an overarching plot that's as good or better than the original one. There are still some amazing episodes in the newer seasons.

No, I agree with you. The construction, especially in the first season, was utter garbage.

At least the pacing isn't erratic and nonsensical.

I dunno, in the 15 minutes I saw some girl (the gf) tried to get her vampire boyfriend (Daemon) to bite her so that a half breed (guy a) would kill him in a fight where the characters rolled on top of each other in fast-mo cam (where they clearly just fast forward the actors to make them look like they have super speed while everyone else stands in place). Later guy a was talking to another girl (blondie) explaining how the gf was trying to seduce him in a hotel they spent the night in and they kissed which could drive daemon mad. Blondie says there's no way the gf would do that because "she loves daemon" and then guy a speculates maybe gf was possessed by some other chick who's supposed to be dead, "but that's impossible" says blondie "we would have sensed it"

Unless

Unless she didn't get possessed but she absorbed her soul intentionally

post-29824-R-Kelly-WTF-WHAT-gif-DAFUQ-Tra-WRJC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom