• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan-san

The killing in Self Defense and getting zero help for mental health thing might just about be the only thing not played up for the camera in SAO.

Seriously, the fact that there's a mental health public service thing in Japan that works (kinda) in Psycho Pass (btb; why is that on toonami not a thing?) is what makes that story Sci Fi.

Who has alive parents in Naruto? Sakura, Ino, Shikamaru, Choji, Kiba, a couple more. Non-Canon™ characters? Almost none of them.
Garra, kankuro, temari , neji, naruto, and sasuke I think are the only main characters confirmed to have dead parents.
All the other characters parents are either seen, or just never seen. Hinatas mom is neither dead or alive, no one knows what happened to her cause she shows up in a flashback.
Lee was born through miosis, tenten is tenten.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The killing in Self Defense and getting zero help for mental health thing might just about be the only thing not played up for the camera in SAO.

Seriously, the fact that there's a mental health public service thing in Japan that works (kinda) in Psycho Pass (btb; why is that on toonami not a thing?) is what makes that story Sci Fi.

I would like to think it is because there is a god and he is merciful but the real answer is there is no room for new anything right now.

So ass shots aren't banned...hm?

speaking of making the rules up as you go

As long as they aren't being spanked

This sequence.

Another great episode of KLK. Nonon seems quite similar to some other characters, either in other Anime's or fighting videogames. The conductor getup seems like a frequently used characterization. I might be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

And I want to say good on them for the dub and the language they use. It's colorful.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not looking forward to prom. I don't dance and I don't like anyone in my school.
Gonna be such a drag.

aG2bOiy.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm not looking forward to prom. I don't dance and I don't like anyone in my school.
Gonna be such a drag.

Don't go then? I mean, if you have some friends that are, it wont be that bad. But yeah, if you like no one at all, going doesn't seem like a fun night.

Puruzi

Banned
Don't go then? I mean, if you have some friends that are, it wont be that bad. But yeah, if you like no one at all, going doesn't seem like a fun night.
I have some friends in school, but they aren't going either. I have to go because it's "A once in a lifetime experience". Prom shit was already paid for.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't think Sinon's history is too awful, but it comes across as silly and without any nuance. However, I can accept it.

Kirito's nurse was the worst thing about the episode, and Asuna saying that their fairy game was 'their home'
TadkV.gif

Eh, that doesn't bother me. Especially with what THEY'VE been through. In my times as guild leader like twice on RO, and with a group in FFXI, I'm sure I said goofy stuff like that... probably not in priston Tale, though, lol.

It's one thing that people in the virtual world want his dick, but now people in the real world too?! Reki Kawahara once said he can't write a female character without her falling in love with Kirito. ... Maybe you should fix that!

By the way SAB, (manga stuff)
Kalifa isn't dead. In fact, nobody is. Even Kumadori who got the absolute shit beaten out of him by Monster Chopper managed to survive. It was all showcased in a cover story. I wish the anime did these...

I feel as if people took the nurse too seriously. I kinda had fun seeing how uncomfortable this all made Kazuto, since normally guys are expected to totally want and have no problem with the attention of sexy older female nurses. It's always been the stupid double standard, so it's rare to see it turned on it's head.

As far as One Piece... glad to hear the Manga touches on it. Unlike most of the series villans, SheePeee Nine never seems to get mentioned much ever again. It kinda annoys me, because I like them in games, but they seem very forgotten after this stuff. Since this was THE arch when I started to get back into One Piece, the fact it's minor in the ongoing history feels unfortunate.

So the bully points a finger at her, and she starts clamming up. Clearly we're supposed to be perplexed why she's freaking out, because yes, being scared of a finger is weird. This moment is meant to display a level of irrational fear. If it was a model gun, it may have been more difficult to place that irrationality - anybody might get scared if they thought it was real.

It's not hard to acknowledge how the event in her childhood could have impacted her long term. That said, it goes just a little too far in that a finger doesn't look or sound like a gun, and it's difficult to acknowledge that a person could be triggered so easily. Looking somewhat silly is inevitable (and perhaps not unintentional).

(If a finger gun is enough to bring back scarring memories, I'd figure there would be many other potential triggers rather than just sounds and images of guns.)

The later scene in her home where she starts screaming at nothing reminds me of Attack on Titan -esqe drama, where any subtlety in thrown out the window for an in-your-face demonstration.

The lonely screams didn't really bother me. She has to let herself go, and fall into character every time she plays. It's melodramatic, but it's anime, where every slip leads into grabbing "soft" body parts, every woman falls for the main hero, no matter how he looks, and every girl is amazingly attractive, even when they're suppose to be plain. SAO isn't subtle, but if it's dramatic, might as well be fun dramatic.

I feel like lacking subtlety is just the way of modern anime. People are impatient, and have seen all the build up steps before. Modern fans like EXTREEEEEEME, proven by the fact these shows are highly popular right now. Same way fanservice is more CONSTANT AND IN YOUR FACE rather than nuanced and like a small treat alongside a greater work.

I just noticed how Sota's face shimmers for a moment after he opens the door, lol

The whole family's does! That hot spring was SUPER EFFECTIVE. I thought it was a cute effect too, lol. Suddenly, they received video game lighting!

I'll just recommend you continue to watch. Her being a badass, even at such an early age, does get addressed.

Oh, that's acceptable, I just find it annoying at this point. Though I do like how we're offset from the "EVERYTIME SHE'S AWESOME!" moments by her coy smiles and brief moments of her doing differently than her subordinates expect. I get annoyed by things I don't like in KLK more than SAO, because at least I know they're talented enough to know better.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think it's a matter of when, not if, CP9 shows up again in One Piece.

I do hope so, and maybe they'll really KILL people this time! XD I don't really care about "Doffy" as a character (His outfit so stupid, lol), and half of his crew is made up of idiots that seem to annoy me more than most of one piece in general ("SO HARDBOILED!" "DASYUN!"Ugh.)

One Piece, and buying cheap anime DVDs for a buck or so to watch old series, makes me realize how much I love DVD format for story arcs. One of the things I'm watching over Netflix DVD is "E's Otherwise", and while the show is as plain and straightforward as can be... I normally wanna see the next disk, after seeing multiple episodes together. But taken on their own... I'd probably stop pretty early on.

Side comment: Oh, I found it funny how many were shocked by Shino Nudity last night. The "Naked detail-less body acting as a soul to avatar / mecha / etc" is quite an old anime trope. This happens in nearly every Gundam opening, for example.

Grexeno

I do hope so, and maybe they'll really KILL people this time! XD I don't really care about "Doffy" as a character (His outfit so stupid, lol), and half of his crew is made up of idiots that seem to annoy me more than most of one piece in general ("SO HARDBOILED!" "DASYUN!"Ugh.)
Get out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

j6vZj3h.gif

Tamanon

Banned
Finally caught Battle of Gods. Pretty good film. I like Beerus and Whis. Some of the animation was sketchy, but the fights were solid. Really wish they could just redo the series with better animation.

MikeMyers

Finally caught Battle of Gods. Pretty good film. I like Beerus and Whis. Some of the animation was sketchy, but the fights were solid. Really wish they could just redo the series with better animation.

I saw the sequel yesterday. Thought it was a step-up.

I'm actually enjoying Kill La Kill very much. It's stupid, but kind of charmingly so. The visual style helps too. I'm actually liking it more than Gurren Lagaan, but I think part of that was disappointment from it being over-hyped.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The ankle pants look like something that should be in a
fe?
male model catalog, his lanky form doesn't look like it should have the strength that's suggested (that's kinda OK), the glasses and plumage are ok, though. O do like the large silhouette the feathers give. I'd laugh at him as much as people laugh at Pika's unfitting voice.

Note that I don't hate him as a villain... but he, like most of his group, are so desperately trying to be one thing, but look like another, it's the same idea played across so many characters. I just wish there was SOMEONE in his group that felt kind of straight forward and cool.

I still couldn't get over how bad the CGI was in Battle of Gods.

fe?
male model catalog, his lanky form doesn't look like it should have the strength that's suggested (that's kinda OK), the glasses and plumage are ok, though. O do like the large silhouette the feathers give. I'd laugh at him as much as people laugh at Pika's unfitting voice.

Note that I don't hate him as a villain... but he, like most of his group, are so desperately trying to be one thing, but look like another, it's the same idea played across so many characters. I just wish there was SOMEONE in his group that felt kind of straight forward and cool.
That kind of straight forwardness doesn't usually mesh well in One Piece. They would be bland and unremarkable......like Lucci. >.>

Jintor

log horizon author arrested for tax evasion, rip log horizon. say what you like about sao (IT'S TERRIBLE) at least the author didn't get irl arrested!

Grexeno

log horizon author arrested for tax evasion, rip log horizon. say what you like about sao (IT'S TERRIBLE) at least the author didn't get irl arrested!
Write series of light novels heavily featuring economics and state actors

Don't pay taxes

GLASSES PUSH

daveo42

Banned

This bit of news actually makes me legit sad. Log Horizon is so good in comparison to a lot of LNs and anime out there and it sucks the ride is ending because dude didn't pay his taxes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This bit of news actually makes me legit sad. Log Horizon is so good in comparison to a lot of LNs and anime out there and it sucks the ride is ending because dude didn't pay his taxes.

Dude doesn't have to stop writing because he's in jail. All he needs is a pan, paper and the occasional visit from an editor. Unless the place he publishes with decided to cancel the contract.

daveo42

Banned
Dude doesn't have to stop writing because he's in jail. All he needs is a pan, paper and the occasional visit from an editor. Unless the place he publishes with decided to cancel the contract.

How looked down upon is tax evasion in Japan? I guess it also depends on how well his LNs are selling.

Jintor

the worry is more it'd put a crimp in any plans for NHK (a national broadcaster) to work with him again on an s3

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How looked down upon is tax evasion in Japan? I guess it also depends on how well his LNs are selling.

I couldn't tell you, but there's plenty of writers who have written from jail. Usually they get put there under different circumstances, but if he continues or not while he's there will depend entirely on his publisher.

Soulflarz

Banned
Every time I check my twitter I see another tweet about him not paying 30m

USD=/=Yen.
250k isnt actually as large of a number as I expected tbh.

Large number, but yeah.

Jintor

Every time I check my twitter I see another tweet about him not paying 30m

USD=/=Yen.
250k isnt actually as large of a number as I expected tbh.

Large number, but yeah.

250k is just the fine levied. Accusation is over the last three-four years his company has avoided paying back taxes of about 120mil yen or about $1mil USD

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
fe?

One thing that the wildly varying scale in the anime doesn't really sell is just how big Doffy actually is. The dude is 10 feet tall. 305 cm, to be precise.

Bellamy is also pretty straightforward. And, as a result, generally considered kinda lame.

Soulflarz

Banned
250k is just the fine levied. Accusation is over the last three-four years his company has avoided paying back taxes of about 120mil yen or about $1mil USD

Oh okay. Thank God that doesn't offset peoples insane 30m, because I can play dumb and pretend I knew about that 1m.

(damn you!)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One thing that the wildly varying scale in the anime doesn't really sell is just how big Doffy actually is. The dude is 10 feet tall. 305 cm, to be precise.

Bellamy is also pretty straightforward. And, as a result, generally considered kinda lame.

New world crewmembers get taller and older as they go along. What if that person is secretly 100 years old?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom