• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I mean the statement "not all filler is bad" is such an obvious, "no shit" statement I'm not sure it really needs to be said. Aside from those few with big sticks up their butts who value purity above ALL else, nobody really has a problem with material that diverges from the source if it is a) good and b) makes sense within the context of the world/the characters the story is about. Lord knows there are a lot of adaptions that would be IMPROVED if the anime team took a few liberties with their adaptation.

As has already been mentioned, where people get justifiably annoyed is when the non-canon material is of NOTICEABLY lower quality than the source material (due to production values, writing, etc) or is nonsensically placed right in the middle of major events leaving you with annoying cliffhangers. "Want to see how this hype fight you've been looking forward to ends (or just is animated if you've already read the manga/novel)? Well TOO BAD! In the meantime please enjoy watching Ichigo and crew help this random Mary/Marty-Stu find their cat who got lost in Soul Society for the next 6 months! Doesn't that sound like fun?!" >_<

People complaining about stuff like that should make up the VAST majority of any complaints that DeMarco and crew would/should be hearing. Somebody complaining "this filler sucks" because it looks like it was animated in MS Paint and puts someone's shitty fan-fic character in the spotlight isn't going to be appeased with a response like "not all filler is bad bro".

Of course if Japan just implemented a seasonal approach for their long running shows like One Piece, Bleach, Naurto, etc. then most of these pacing and filler problems would disappear. Of course that is likely to make the execs less money so............ :/

And it's stuff like that which shows why I rarely post now-a-days.

Nothing quite like having your existence shat upon, in addition to all the verbal abuse on that and other topics...

Though I'm not in your exact position I can certainly sympathize in that certain threads/topics (usually race related ones) make want to or force me to take short breaks from GAF/the internet for my mental health. Try to keep your chin up and focus on the positive things going on in your life and the positive people. Sticking to pockets of GAF that you know are populated with intelligent, thoughtful people with similar interests can help as well.

Seda

Naruto does try to fit its filler into the storyline. Disregarding narrative quality for a moment (lol), in the current filler, the slight focus on the fire temple monks, elemental chakra, and Asuma all can kinda-sorta work as preludes to the next arc. It's not totally random.

Bleach literally sticks a long filler arcs in the middle of one-on-ones.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naruto does try to fit its filler into the storyline. Disregarding narrative quality for a moment (lol), in the current filler, the slight focus on the fire temple monks, elemental chakra, and Asuma all can kinda-sorta work as preludes to the next arc. It's not totally random.

Bleach literally sticks a long filler arcs in the middle of one-on-ones.

One of those things listed is straight up great considering what is happening next and another one is introduced here first but would have been explained fine without the arc.

Jintor

Eats stepped down because he didn't have enough time to do mod stuff.

I didn't realise that's what Mumei got demodded for, and, reading it, I don't necessarily understand why other than the simple fact of disagreement.

Moaradin

The focus on Asuma is the one thing this filler does alright. I like the idea of fillers giving characters that don't get much focus more screen time. It's just executed poorly most of the time.

Jarate

Banned
CUUG9zr.jpg

I mean the statement "not all filler is bad" is such an obvious, "no shit" statement I'm not sure it really needs to be said. Aside from those few with big sticks up their butts who value purity above ALL else, nobody really has a problem with material that diverges from the source if it is a) good and b) makes sense within the context of the world/the characters the story is about. Lord knows there are a lot of adaptions that would be IMPROVED if the anime team took a few liberties with their adaptation.

As has already been mentioned, where people get justifiably annoyed is when the non-canon material is of NOTICEABLY lower quality than the source material (due to production values, writing, etc) or is nonsensically placed right in the middle of major events leaving you with annoying cliffhangers. "Want to see how this hype fight you've been looking forward to ends (or just is animated if you've already read the manga/novel)? Well TOO BAD! In the meantime please enjoy watching Ichigo and crew help this random Mary/Marty-Stu find their cat who got lost in Soul Society for the next 6 months! Doesn't that sound like fun?!" >_<

People complaining about stuff like that should make up the VAST majority of any complaints that DeMarco and crew would/should be hearing. Somebody complaining "this filler sucks" because it looks like it was animated in MS Paint and puts someone's shitty fan-fic character in the spotlight isn't going to be appeased with a response like "not all filler is bad bro".

Of course if Japan just implemented a seasonal approach for their long running shows like One Piece, Bleach, Naurto, etc. then most of these pacing and filler problems would disappear. Of course that is likely to make the execs less money so............ :/

Yeah, it always seems to me that DeMarco is content with only ever addressing the whole "ALL FILLER IS BAD" part of the community and ignoring everyone else.

Crocodile

Sure, I can give the Naruto writers some props for that but as with anything, you need more than just ideas, you need good execution and overall the current Naruto arc SUCKS.

Yeah, it always seems to me that DeMarco is content with only ever addressing the whole "ALL FILLER IS BAD" part of the community and ignoring everyone else.

I mean, knocking down strawmen, phantoms and crazies is a lot easier than addressing real, rational people with real arguments :p

Not that DeMarco and crew make the shows of course and I'm sure there are some contractual obligations at work but that doesn't make the Boss Luffy episodes or the Strawhat back-stories (though that might be helpful for new viewers) any less of a buzz kill. Thank God we dodged that Naruto filler hell O_O

To be fair I imagine on twitter he only gets the 140 character "filler sucks/this filler sucks/skip filler" complaints and not the more constructed ones

Seda

I've said before, personally, I think Aniplex dubs (including SAO) are the best currently. Both in voice casts and dialogue. I appreciate how they are a little flexible with the banter and such - helps things to flow and feel natural. Also helps that there is a little new blood in the VA mix as well.

---

On another note, I might have to hold off on this, but characters in Kill la Kill are pretty shallow, but still ... effective in their roles. Like, there isn't really any nuance to any particular character, but they kinda work anyway

Sorry, that's more a random thought than a developed examination.

I've said before, personally, I think Aniplex dubs (including SAO) are the best currently. Both in voice casts and dialogue. I appreciate how they are a little flexible with the banter and such - helps things to flow and feel natural. Also helps that there is a little new blood in the VA mix as well.

---

On another note, I might have to hold off on this, but characters in Kill la Kill are pretty shallow, but still ... effective in their roles. Like, there isn't really any nuance to any particular character, but they kinda work anyway

Sorry, that's more a random thought than a developed examination.

Fate/Zero's dub is fucking outstanding and one of the best I've ever heard in my life. I'm not big on Madoka's though. And yeah, so far the characters are pretty shallow, but they get the job done. Then again, I'm a little less than halfway through it so i can't say much.

Moaradin

I think Aniplex dubs are some of the most consistent, but I none of them has impressed me as some of the top tier Funimation dubs.

Seda

I think Aniplex dubs are some of the most consistent, but I none of them has impressed me as some of the top tier Funimation dubs.

Yeah I can agree with that.

Also note I barely watch anime, dubbed or otherwise, compared to most in here, so my purview is limited.

IIRC Death Parade and Assassination Classroom's dubs are pretty good as well.

They are. (Haven't seen much of Ass Class though.)

Still though, Aniplex does do a pretty good job at dubbing. I didn't think so at first because of SAO Season 1........but then I watched KLK and a bunch of other shit by them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The wait for the OPM anime is killing me.

OT is being weird again.

Mandrake is in the middle of a write up for it, his review of the first movie was so Dean Cain it Dean Cain-ed Dean Cain and even Hercules was Dean Cain-ed. I fucking died laughing at how amazing his write up was.

LOLDSFAN

Wat.
I'm dead serious.
I hate her the most out of every character in the show, for reasons I detailed in the KLK OT.
HATE

Lol I know. I just assumed that that Nui Harime girl doesn't like Satsuki either so I jokingly said that.

I could be wrong though since I haven't seen the whole thing yet. Maybe they're actually best of buds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom