• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The fact that Soul Eater NOT! is getting a dub and it has the original cast reprising their roles makes me sad that we'll probably never see Soul Eater: Brotherhood :'(
It disappoints me that when I heard "Soul Eater prequel", THAT is what we got. Sure, we got a BIT of Liz & Patty before becoming Death the Kid's weapons, but Soul, Maka, Death, Black Star, & such? Barely in. Hell, others like Crona aren't even in. Of all the previous characters to get the most screen time, it's SID. Yay?

I get the "NOT" is suppose to sort of indicate it's NOT gonna be like Soul Eater, but man, that was NOT the direction to take.

I just watched a Studio Ghibli film for the first time.
Porco Rosso if you want to know.
Wow, I have missed out on a lot. What should I watch next?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I need to watch Porco Rosso eventually.

Most people are gonna tell you Spirited Away is Ghibli's best film....that, or Nausicca......or Princess Mononoke..........or My Neighbor Totoro.......

TheChits

All of them that you can, except maybe Tales from Earthsea. I would prioritize Spirited Away. Not my favorite Ghibli film, but one I wouldn't hesitate to call a masterpiece

Moaradin

You already watched the best, so there's no point.

No but seriously, watch all of them except for maybe Tales from Earthsea. Even the lesser known stuff like Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas are pretty good.

tumblr_nn6wivh9zl1qj5jqso1_540.gif

Oh HELL Nah!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You already watched the best, so there's no point.

No but seriously, watch all of them except for maybe Tales from Earthsea. Even the lesser known stuff like Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas are pretty good.
I haven't seen Yamadas, but my understanding is that it's based on a manga series or something. Edit: Yup, it is, & is pretty much the one movie they've done that's based on a manga or anime.

Pom Poko, I'd probably put as one of my least favorites. I watched it with some friends & we were just wondering when it was gonna end.

The Wind Rises, Miyazaki's latest movie, was rather nice. You can tell he put a lot of effort into it, considering his love for older style planes and flying. It's a bit more serious, as it's a romantizied version of the man who designed the planes for World War 2, but it's a nice break from all the fantasy stuff that he usually does.

Some others I should watch are Whispers of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, From Up on Poppy Hill, and Princess Kaguya.

...oh yeah, Kiki's Delivery Service is good as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

The best Ghibli film is Whisper of the Heart.

The best Miyazaki film is...Porco Rosso.

All of them are worth watching except Pom Poko.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hooker's Castle in the Sky? I thought Ghibli did family films!!

All seriousness, it's been a while since I've seen that one.

Edit: OH WAIT. I completely forgot that they actually did another movie based on an existing anime/manga: LUPIN THE THIRD. That's another I should rewatch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Decent for a Ghibli movie makes you pretty damn good. I can't really rank them but its not what I'd point to as a must see like Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononononoke, Kiki, Totoro, Spirited Away, Only Yesterday.

EDIT: Castle of Caliostro is not a studio Ghibli film. It is directed by Miyazaki and is a definite must watch. I unironically love the most recent dub.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If I recall, Only Yesterday is the only Ghibli film that never got an actual English dub. Not sure why.

EDIT: Castle of Caliostro is not a studio Ghibli film. It is directed by Miyazaki and is a definite must watch. I unironically love the most recent dub.
Oh wow, made well before Ghibli.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I love that movie so much. Also, it's up on youtube for free--the rights holders put it up--so there's literally no excuse not to watch it.

Reminds me of that time when Toonami had a month devoted entirely to Studio Ghibli movies. Also when I was little and Kiki's Delivery Service played on one Disney's cartoon channels.

Jintor

SE Not didn't even have decent animation for roughly 95% of it

fucking Soul Eater Resonance! GIVE IT TO ME. The fucking manga really escalates pretty well.

So we should be expecting a show announcement soon ya? I mean Final Act is less then 2 months away from ending and we haven't heard a peep out of AS/Toonami about what the plan is. Maybe they really are saving it for Momocon

Edit: I also hope AS and Toonami get baited and air SEN for the melt down it would cause

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Unfortunately (or in this case, thankfully), SEN doesn't really have all that much action, so probably won't qualify. Wasn't until the last few episodes where the show remembers "OH RIGHT, we have a rather decent design for a villain, better use it! & give the audience some action"

So we should be expecting a show announcement soon ya? I mean Final Act is less then 2 months away from ending and we haven't heard a peep out of AS/Toonami about what the plan is. Maybe they really are saving it for Momocon

Edit: I also hope AS and Toonami get baited and air SEN for the melt down it would cause

They are negotiating that Parasyte deal as we speak, hopefully.

Rakkety Tam

Neo Member
The fact that Soul Eater NOT! is getting a dub and it has the original cast reprising their roles makes me sad that we'll probably never see Soul Eater: Brotherhood :'(

I can't stand what they did to Maka's eyes in Soul Eater Not!. They no longer look dull, flat and intense. Now they just look like Generic Anime Eye #00473.

I've seen three Ghibli films so far: From Up on Poppy Hill, The Cat Returns, and Whisper of the Heart. I was unimpressed by From Up on Poppy Hill. I feel that too many plot threads were running simultaneously and the climax felt weak. I enjoyed the fact that the main character lived in that boarding-house or whatever, though. I really enjoyed The Cat Returns. The Baron was super-smooth, and the movie had a properly executed chase scene. I thought Whisper of the Heart was fairly good, but definitely flawed. Watching the main character run around the city was cool, and background art was cool, but repetitive, if I correctly recall. The actual plot was kind of mediocre, but I like the dynamic of the two main characters. It honestly just made me want to go rewatch The Cat Returns. I mostly enjoyed the musical elements. They did a really good job of showing that the main character really liked cats. I can totally empathize with just following a cat to see where it goes, if I had free time. Additionally, they gave her a cat calendar, which I feel was a nice touch. I feel like Whisper of the Heart didn't have enough opportunities for the animators to go wild, which was unfortunate.

Reminds me of that time when Toonami had a month devoted entirely to Studio Ghibli movies. Also when I was little and Kiki's Delivery Service played on one Disney's cartoon channels.
Month of Miyazaki is the greatest thing they've ever done. That was the first time I ever saw Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Laputa, although I fell asleep near the end of Castle in the Sky and woke up pissed off. Finally got around to finishing it in college on a lazy Sunday.

LOLDSFAN

Yeah it would be last minute, but Momocon would be a good venue for it. The con is on the 30th and then FA ends the week after that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TCM's week of Ghibli destroyed TOONAMI's month of Miyazaki though it's the same connections that allowed both to happen. Silly Man God, you say, a month is longer and therefore better than a week! Well, sure is. Only thing is TCM did nothing during primetime but play every single Ghibli movie, subbed and dubbed. It was incredible and I found it completely by accident.

Unpopular opinions:

1. Princess Mononoke is the movie Nausicaa wishes it was.

2. Princess Mononoke bites off more than it can chew and ends up being kind of unfocused with a bunch of sideplots dangling around, waiting to be developed to any significant degree. Still a good movie, not Ghibli or Miyazaki's best. I kind of wonder if part of its Internet acclaim is because it's violent and wide in scope, sort of like how Breaking Bad is popular because it's violent and about drugs.

3. Howl's Moving Castle is the complete extreme of that problem of being unfocused and is kind of a total mess, even if it's still a fun movie.

4. Ponyo is to Ghibli and Miyazaki's filmography what Brave and Monsters University are to Pixar. I thought about including Cars 2 in this comparison but that was too mean, and I'd have said Toy Story 3 if I wasn't the only person who thinks that movie is a total rehash.

Yeah, Akira is a cool movie but you can really see Otomo struggling with what to cut from his own manga. Nausicaa has that issue a little bit, too, (which is kind of funny considering Princess Mononoke almost feels like a re-do of that movie) though I had bigger problems with how much it's lacking in subtlety regarding its themes. Like, more than usual with some Ghibli movies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, Howl's Moving Castle isn't bad, but I haven't really met anyone that was like "Oh yeah, that's my favorite Ghibli film". It's a mess, but it's a pretty mess.

Ponyo probably would've worked better if it wasn't trying to work in Majora's Mask with its plot.

LOLDSFAN

So Funimation has announced their dub cast for Soul Eater Not!

Bryn Apprill as Tsugumi
Alexis Tipton as Anya
Lindsay Seidel as Meme
Elizabeth Maxwell as Shaula Gorgon
Ian Sinclair as Akane Hoshi
Bryce Papenbrook as Clay Sizemore

#BringTheSuperiorVersionToToonami

tumblr_n3qaqnC5jz1ra3f3yo1_500.gif

Unpopular opinions:

1. Princess Mononoke is the movie Nausicaa wishes it was.

2. Princess Mononoke bites off more than it can chew and ends up being kind of unfocused with a bunch of sideplots dangling around, waiting to be developed to any significant degree. Still a good movie, not Ghibli or Miyazaki's best. I kind of wonder if part of its Internet acclaim is because it's violent and wide in scope, sort of like how Breaking Bad is popular because it's violent and about drugs.

3. Howl's Moving Castle is the complete extreme of that problem of being unfocused and is kind of a total mess, even if it's still a fun movie.

4. Ponyo is to Ghibli and Miyazaki's filmography what Brave and Monsters University are to Pixar. I thought about including Cars 2 in this comparison but that was too mean, and I'd have said Toy Story 3 if I wasn't the only person who thinks that movie is a total rehash.

What the fuck am I reading?! The only part I agree with is about Monsters University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom