• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.
They "fixed" that Soul Eater NOT gif in the blu ray

MerryBoringIrishsetter.gif

though it's not much better.

Shoulder joints don't work that way!

Jintor

It's not really about how shoulder joints work... it's more about whether it looks good.

It doesn't look good.

Actually the worst thing in that gif is Maka. She has no weight whatsoever.

Soulflarz

Banned
Shit. Was at an 8th grade reunion tonight and tomorrow I have a school event.

RIP free time. On that note, I'll be missing some of Toonami, if not all.

Erg

Soulflarz

Banned
So did Soul Eater Not get some weird issue like Soul Eater with an early adaptation, or do people just not like the plot or something? (Or bad animation, idk)

So did Soul Eater Not get some weird issue like Soul Eater with an early adaptation, or do people just not like the plot or something? (Or bad animation, idk)

Soul Eater Not is a slice of life story about three moe girls, with some cameos from Soul Eater characters and random moments of action. Plus, it's a prequel. The problems were inherent in the story.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Soul Eater Not is basically a "prequel" but with a completely different set of characters. It's NOThing like the original Soul Eater. Like I said, it feels very more K-On with 3 girls doing cutsy things then OH RIGHT, ACTION SHOW, LET'S FIGHT ONCE IN A WHILE. I'd also say it's a complete shift in genre, from shonen to slice of life.

Another problem is for a "prequel", we barely see any of the other character. If you wanted to make an original character to interact and witness the past with the audience, that can work, but they almost NEVER talk with Soul & Maka or Black Star & Tsubaki. Really, the only characters from the original they talk with are Liz & Patty before becoming Death's weapons (we actually get an episode dedicated to them & they sometimes appear again) and Sid the teacher, before becoming a zombie. I wanna know what happened to the characters to the original series that I got to know, not these UGUU SO CUTE TE HE HE girls that just feel out of place.

....it also didn't help when there WAS action scenes, they weren't animated all that well (maybe except the final episode, but first & last episodes tend to have a bit better animation).

Raxus

Aniplex gonna Aniplex.

Just a reminder, Tonight's One Piece is one of my favorite episodes so please stay up to watch it! Watch it again if your a OP vet!

Crocodile

Is that an admission that sales are poor and rather than a price-readjustment they will continue of the same path even if it means eventual closure or just a confirmation of what we already knew - Aniplex puts the interests of the Japanese market way ahead the interest of the American market?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is that an admission that sales are poor and rather than a price-readjustment they will continue of the same path even if it means eventual closure or just a confirmation of what we already knew - Aniplex puts the interests of the Japanese market way ahead the interest of the American market?

Yes. They don't give a rat's ass about us, if they did their prices wouldn't be so horrible. Funi does just a good a job as Aniplex on their big series and costs way less, there's no reason Aniplex needs to charge us so much. They're just hurting their own sales.

Crocodile

Yes. They don't give a rat's ass about us, if they did their prices wouldn't be so horrible. Funi does just a good a job as Aniplex on their big series and costs way less, there's no reason Aniplex needs to charge us so much. They're just hurting their own sales.

Everything I've read and heard suggests that in terms of video/audio quality and extras, Aniplex releases are a step above the rest. They also seem to be more likely to have especially good dubs given (as Toonami viewings can confirm). Of course its still super hard to justify those prices in 2015 but I don't have the market data in front of me that I would need to calculate what is the ideal price/sales ratio expectation to garner the most profit.

The modern era of streaming is a godsend but at the same time, I feel most people have a lot less incentive to buy all but the best/most popular of shows now. I certainly have old DVDs that I almost certainly wouldn't have bought if I could've watched the show through legal means for a cheap price like I can now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funi's prices did go up a bit with the transition to Blu-Rays, especially on things that got dubbed and put to disc quick like Space Dandy.

Jarate

Banned
Who's ready for that dbz hype tonight

SAO 2 has really killed my enthusiasm for watching toonami. That grind from KlK to One Piece is turrible

Wonder what show they'll get to replace KlK

Isnt Ping Pong coming out right when KlK is ending?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Funi's prices did go up a bit with the transition to Blu-Rays, especially on things that got dubbed and put to disc quick like Space Dandy.

True but it's still not nearly as bad as Aniplex's pricing. Even with the bonuses Aniplex's pricing is still shit.

daveo42

Banned
Everything I've read and heard suggests that in terms of video/audio quality and extras, Aniplex releases are a step above the rest. They also seem to be more likely to have especially good dubs given (as Toonami viewings can confirm). Of course its still super hard to justify those prices in 2015 but I don't have the market data in front of me that I would need to calculate what is the ideal price/sales ratio expectation to garner the most profit.

The modern era of streaming is a godsend but at the same time, I feel most people have a lot less incentive to buy all but the best/most popular of shows now. I certainly have old DVDs that I almost certainly wouldn't have bought if I could've watched the show through legal means for a cheap price like I can now.

Aniplex is just resisting the change that is happening in this and every media industry out there. Streaming services are quickly taking over and they'll either need to make those adjustments or eventually go out of business. Even if they do create a quality product, they need to find the right balance to remain profitable instead of jacking up their prices as an offset.

Who's ready for that dbz hype tonight

SAO 2 has really killed my enthusiasm for watching toonami. That grind from KlK to One Piece is turrible

Wonder what show they'll get to replace KlK

Isnt Ping Pong coming out right when KlK is ending?

You should give up on any sports anime ever coming to Toonami. The next newer funimation shows we'll probably get is going to be any combination of Psycho Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Seraph of the End, Legend of Arslan, B3, or Rage of Bahamut.

KLK is probably going to be replaced by Magi or Sailor Moon Crystal

Jarate

Banned
You should give up on any sports anime ever coming to Toonami. The next newer funimation shows we'll probably get is going to be any combination of Psycho Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Seraph of the End, Legend of Arslan, B3, or Rage of Bahamut.

WmAAcgA.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, finally back. Hoping to have the energy for Toonami tonight, then gotta wake up a bit early tomorrow, finalize plans on where I'm meeting the girl for our get together over coffee or food or whatever happening later in the day, then study for a vocal part of the final exam for Japanese. Plus finally might get a phone soon since little sis will give me her old LG android one that's barely a year old when she gets a new one.

Aniplex is just resisting the change that is happening in this and every media industry out there. Streaming services are quickly taking over and they'll either need to make those adjustments or eventually go out of business. Even if they do create a quality product, they need to find the right balance to remain profitable instead of jacking up their prices as an offset.
Exactly. Funimation is a prime example of how to adapt. They're doing simulcasts and now simuldubs while still offering decently priced (for the most part) DVDs & Blu-Rays. It also helps they actually release them by season or series instead of spreading them out, like six releases for 24 or 26 episodes.

ckohler

Sailor Moon Crystal still seems very likely to me due to all the requests Toonami got for it when it was first announced. I've only seen clips.

Has anyone here seen it? I know about the less than stellar production values but what about the actual show itself? Is it entertaining? Is there action?

BBboy20

I might miss out on raging on over SAO due to drunkenness at a birthday party (not mine). Guess that depends on if it goes till ??? or not.
Maybe I'll drink some vodka next week.

So yeah, now I'm part of the 70% of the world that has one flow bioelectricity in the heart just so my ICD won't mistaken a higher-then-average heart rate as cardiac arrest.

Also, sometimes god bless thrift shops:
PXlSzBC.jpg

5YKsiBJ.jpg

vA8H0Ov.jpg

tzpTFML.jpg

Now I can listen to No. 1 forever and ever.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal still seems very likely to me due to all the requests Toonami got for it when it was first announced. I've only seen clips.

Has anyone here seen it? I know about the less than stellar production values but what about the actual show itself? Is it entertaining? Is there action?

Seen all the episodes thus far, it is basically a retelling of the original manga, not 1:1 as they excised a lot of comedy bits for whatever reason. There is action and it is better and more dynamic then the original series but this is not saying much. Sailor Moon really was never the series to go for magical girl action no matter what the incarnation. Certainly not a pointless remake but the manga deserved better then this.

Grexeno

Maybe they'll pass on it if there wasn't enough action. I can't remember the last time Toonami mentioned the show. Was/is the show popular with anime fans?
Oh there isn't a single chance they'll pass on it. Sailor Moon is second only to Dragonball Z when it comes to shows synonymous with Toonami.

Do you remember/like classic Sailor Moon? If you did you'll probably enjoy Sailor Moon Crystal, it has just as much action IE monster of the week at the end. Replace the original series focus on comedy and the the 5 girls as firends with a more serious take on the plot that focuses more on Usagi and Mamoru (Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask) and their romance. The action is generally better the the original despite it's poor production values if only because battles have a bit more going on then just recycle animation attack fest.

If you like Sailor Moon you'll probably enjoy Crystal, if you didn't like Sailor Moon then Crystal will do nothing to change your mind unless the reason you hated it was the emphasis on comedy.

Maybe they'll pass on it if there wasn't enough action. I can't remember the last time Toonami mentioned the show. Was/is the show popular with anime fans?

Sailor Moon of some kind is coming, Crystal makes the most sense and is the safer investment as if it doesn't connect with the new AS audience it'll only be on the block for half a year (or maybe a year if the rumored 2nd season happens which it probably will). Were they to go for the new Viz dub of the classic series it'd be on the block for the next 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom