• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Can we talk less about how shit Soul Eater Not is and just forget about it?

Maka what did they do to you?

The first 37 or soul episodes of Soul Eater is still some of the best shonen anime I've ever watched. I really wish the rest of the manga would get animated :(

On a kind of related note (but not really), the most recent chapter of My Hero Academia was excellent. The manga isn't what I'd call big on new ideas but the execution on most of them have been GREAT. The main protagonist has been WAY better than Luffy, Ichigo or Naruto were in their early chapters. I just hope the manga maintains (or increases) in quality.

Moaradin

My favorite arc in Soul Eater starts right after the anime cuts off. There's so much cool stuff I wanna see animated like
Death Scythe Soul and Black Star's new power set.

What we should talk about is Assassination Classroom and how it should get on Toonami. The simuldub by funimation is awesome and Sonny Strait is amazing as Korosensei. Last week Sonny Strait even asked on twitter to start a campaign to bring AC to Toonami.

Raxus

The problem is AC, while improving, is still very much a comedy show first (nothing wrong with that) and there are still several shonen as fuck shows lined up for Toonami. The simuldub doesn't hurt AC's chances though.

One Punch Man needs to be on Toonami ASAP when it airs.

Soul Eater is the best thing I've seen on new toonami.

image.php

Seda

If I had to pick one show that I'm most positive towards that revived Toonami introduced to me...

Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
One Piece

one of those

Moaradin

Soul Eater before it went off the rails is definitely top 3 new toonami shows for me. It was the first manga I ever read as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The problem is AC, while improving, is still very much a comedy show first (nothing wrong with that) and there are still several shonen as fuck shows lined up for Toonami. The simuldub doesn't hurt AC's chances though.

One Punch Man needs to be on Toonami ASAP when it airs.
I wouldn't be against AC, but yes, it's more of an action-comedy. & it takes a while for them to establish all the classmates before finally deciding to include more action.

Maybe with Sonny Strait, it has a better chance, but I wonder if people would stay long enough for the more actiony parts.

ckohler

100%.

It also got me reading the rest of the manga despite the horrendous art for the first 30 chapters or so.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting how the manga started out much different looking (and more pervy) and then over time the artist adopted the anime's look.

Moaradin

Black Lagoon has been the best show on new Toonami.

I gotta give that honor to Space Dandy. Not only because of the shows quality, but having it air on Toonami before anywhere else in the world is unprecedented. Helps that it has a top tier dub too.

Jintor

Yeah, it's pretty interesting how the manga started out much different looking (and more pervy) and then over time the artist adopted the anime's look.

Bones did really good on that one. The weird chibi-headed look SE starts with was completely replaced by a beautiful stylised artstyle that SEN completely dropped (even though the manga actually looks closer to it!)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"Soul Eater"
"Gurren Lagann"
"Black Lagoon"
"Space Dandy"

"Casshern Sins"

One of these things is not like the other. >.>

I'd seen part of SE and all of the other two pre new TOONAMI.

The only shows besides Dandy and other dub premieres I'd never seen before were Casshew, Samurai 7, Deadman Wonderland, and Hellsing Ultimate.

Bones did really good on that one. The weird chibi-headed look SE starts with was completely replaced by a beautiful stylised artstyle that SEN completely dropped (even though the manga actually looks closer to it!)

The moe-ness style in NOT is horrendous.

I'd seen part of SE and all of the other two pre new TOONAMI.

The only shows besides Dandy and other dub premieres I'd never seen before were Casshew, Samurai 7, Deadman Wonderland, and Hellsing Ultimate.

That makes sense, but then I'm reminded of Hellsing and Deadman. Both of which had some of the best first-time viewer reactions ever.

Puruzi

Banned
Toonami din't introduce me to any shows, but my favorite shows that were/are on Toonami are Soul Eater, Gurren, and KLK

I'd say AC has had more action in its first few episodes then something like a Tenchi where most of those series took FOREVER to get to any kind of action

Top 3 shows/series New Toonami introduced me to?

Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
Soul Eater

Honorable mention

Deadman Wonderland (my friend telling me about it got me to read the manga when it originally aired)

Top 3 with stuff I knew before hand would be

One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist
Space Dandy

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, I was close to missing Toonami this week, but dodged a (virtual) bullet. At my grandma's, so normally, I'd just watch it in the basement, especially since we've got a few extra people staying over, so one of which is sleeping in the living room. For some reason, basement Dish doesn't want to get any channels, but I'm going back home tomorrow afternoon or so (also thankfully since I wanna study for finals & planned for a get-together/sorta date with the girl my dad was telling me about).

Edit: Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate, & Space Dandy are probably my favorite shows that I haven't seen before. One Piece might've replaced Hellsing, but I technically watched some One Piece as a kid, despite the fact I haven't seen the current episodes airing now. Maybe FMA Brotherhood if you wanna count Adult Swim, but I already read the manga.

Crocodile

Space Dandy is the best show that aired exclusively on new Toonami so far and it isn't really close. Black Lagoon and Gurren Lagann are also God tier but I had already seen them before. The current episodes of One Piece and Naruto are new to me but I had already been watching those shows beforehand. After Dandy, shows I'd never seen before that I'd consider at least decent would be Soul Eater, Hellsing (for the fuckery) Casshern Sins, Deadman Wonderland (though the show lost a lot of steam halfway).

Toonami din't introduce me to any shows, but my favorite shows that were/are on Toonami are Soul Eater, Gurren, and KLK

You used a time machine to go watch Dandy before the rest of the world? Wow, can you tell us who wins the US Election in 2016? Do we figure out the Global Climate Change problem before it fucks human civilization over? When do we colonize Mars? Will we meet intelligent life during any of our lifetimes? Do we figure out how to beat cancer? So many questions I have for you O_O

Oh wait a minute, I figured it out. You must be an employee at Studio Bones - obviously as somebody who worked on Space Dandy or was in the same offices you saw it before the rest of us. Is being an animator in Japan as hellish as we are lead to believe? What's on the studio's plate for the rest of the year?

Unless, unless......you actually work at Funimation and got to help dub the show for the simulcast. What's taking so long to get Eva 3.33 out?

#Kappa

Space Dandy the best.

Black Lagoon would be a contender if the Japan arc didn't have issues. Second place isn't so bad.

Then it's probably One Piece or Soul Eater depending on the day. Sometimes the pacing in One Piece bugs me more than Soul Eater getting Bones'd, sometimes it doesn't.

Then Gurren Lagann.

Puruzi

Banned
Space Dandy is the best show that aired exclusively on new Toonami so far and it isn't really close. Black Lagoon and Gurren Lagann are also God tier but I had already seen them before. The current episodes of One Piece and Naruto are new to me but I had already been watching those shows beforehand. After Dandy, shows I'd never seen before that I'd consider at least decent would be Soul Eater, Hellsing (for the fuckery) Casshern Sins, Deadman Wonderland (though the show lost a lot of steam halfway).

You used a time machine to go watch Dandy before the rest of the world? Wow, can you tell us who wins the US Election in 2016? Do we figure out the Global Climate Change problem before it fucks human civilization over? When do we colonize Mars? Will we meet intelligent life during any of our lifetimes? Do we figure out how to beat cancer? So many questions I have for you O_O

Oh wait a minute, I figured it out. You must be an employee at Studio Bones - obviously as somebody who worked on Space Dandy or was in the same offices you saw it before the rest of us. Is being an animator in Japan as hellish as we are lead to believe? What's on the studio's plate for the rest of the year?

Unless, unless......you actually work at Funimation and got to help dub the show for the simulcast. What's taking so long to get Eva 3.33 out?

#Kappa
I watched it subbed at first
Maybe Puruzi just has bad taste and doesn't like Space Dandy

I greatly enjoyed Dandy, just liked the other shows more.

daveo42

Banned
If I had to pick one show that I'm most positive towards that revived Toonami introduced to me...

Space Dandy
Black Lagoon

One Piece

one of those

The first two definitely. The third I was already aware of, so it doesn't really meet that criteria.

Crocodile

Toonami didn't introduce me to One Piece or Naruto (hence "I had already been watching those shows beforehand") but I've never seen the Eneis Lobby arc of OP or.....Sora Arc of Naruto. I'm somewhat already familiar with what happens in these shows in both the near and far future due to cultural osmosis but I'm just differentiating myself from many in this thread who have already seen these episodes of OP or Naruto (be it in Japanese or English).

The etymology of my username is not related to OP (or any anime, TV show, book, movie, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom