• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
wjlmcqy.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The first time I think I saw 'Za Warudo' mentioned was when Luigi's Final Smash was revealed for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. At the time I had no idea what it referencing, of course.
There are 3, maybe 4 anime/manga that almost every modern shonen looks to for their foundation.

Dragon ball, jojo's bizarre adventure, and yu yu hakusho.

I think my list is (in no order)

1. Cheng Pu
2. Ma Teng
3. Hua Xiong
4. Wang Shuang
5. Shamoke
6. Sun Xiu

There's a bunch of other characters like Liu Zhang, Liu Biao, Yuan Shu, and a whole slew of faction related generals that should be in the game, that aren't due to not being related to the big 3 kingdoms. It depends on what they are looking to add into the game. I also have another issue with naimg the generals I want, since the book I read (the moss roberts version) has very different names then the ones used by Dynasty Warriors.

Also, He Man deserves his own character, but i don;t know if the Japanese find that nearly as funny. I'd also like a lot more of the yellow turbans, Zhang Bao, and Zhang Jue should be added, along with characters like Bian Xi who would later go on to serve Cao Cao.

But then again, I doubt they are going to add more characters to the roster. i think their big goal is too make an open world game, which is very ambitious for a series that is one of the least ambitious titles on the face of the earth

We'll also be getting a Dynasty Warriors movie at some point, but i'd honestly rather have a Dynasty Warriors anime. Sengoku Basara was pretty decent, and the Dynasty Warriors characters were always way better personified then the other "musou" likes

Of the characters you listed, I expect only Cheng Pu and maybe Wang Shuang and Hua Xiong to be in DW9. Shamoke and to a lesser extent Ma Teng don't contribute much in the grand scheme of things and it's more likely Koei adds Lu Kang to give late Wu more representation.

As for the other characters you mentioned, Liu Zhang and Liu Biao suffer largely from not having the same grandeur as other warlord's had at the time if that makes sense, while He Man, Bain Xi and the Yellow Turbans not named Zhang Jiao are not important, popular or relevant to become unique characters. The only thing that's holding Yuan Shu back (aside from Koei making Yuan Shao, Yuan Shu in all but name) is his unpopularity in Japan.

Overall I can see them adding around 6-8 characters for DW9. I think that's realistic. Hear's who I think will be added.

Cheng Pu (Wu)
Gao Shun (other)
Dong Bai (other)
Xin Xianying (Jin)
Chen Tai (Jin)
Wang Ping (Shu) Personally I'd take Liao Hua due to him being around as far back as the Yellow Turban's but I think his (lack of) popularity in Japan hurts him.
Cao Hong (Wei)
Lu Kang (Wu)

Obviously not all of these will come to pass, but that's who I would think could make it in a ideal situation.

Seda

2 is basically unfair, that's why. The final few bosses you need to wait for them to fuck up or you need supreme skill.

With the Romancing Saga II mobile announcement (and Scarlet Grace somewhere in the pipeline), and having recently completed the Mana series in full and most of the Dragon Quest games I missed, I decided to finally jump into SaGa. II's final boss was definitely annoying, not to mention not being able to run in the last area, oof. I liked it a lot more than I though.

The Last Remnant is one of my favorite games ever, and I know that has some SaGa influence - it'll be nice to see where it originated.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With the Romancing Saga II mobile announcement (and Scarlet Grace somewhere in the pipeline), and having recently completed the Mana series in full and most of the Dragon Quest games I missed, I decided to finally jump into SaGa. II's final boss was definitely annoying, not to mention not being able to run in the last area, oof. I liked it a lot more than I though.

The Last Remnant is one of my favorite games ever, and I know that has some SaGa influence - it'll be nice to see where it originated.

Legends 2 was an unfair game by the standard of the time. I mean, people complain about Dragon Quest 2's endgame but that's a cake walk compared to this game. I found it wildly fun myself, but frustrating to no end. A good friend of mine also ended up playing through it during study hall of our junior year and watching him climb the treadmill was good times.

Before I ever owned the game the premise of both the first two Legends games intrigued the hell out of me, which is why when three was reprinted and sold for about 8 bucks new I just had to grab it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SWORD ART ONLINE - EPISODE TWENTY FOUR: Gilded Hero

Yui can hack through doors just by pushing on them. She also blows through the bird cage like it was nothing. Speaking about the bird cage, where the hell is the floating castle? Was this MMO developed by Blizzard instead with half functioning kill the entire raid bosses masking unfinished content? Speaking about Beta content Oberon shows up and blows Yui away and traps the two love birds with his gravity magic, a big hit in the next expansion. He then has fun penetrating Kirito with his own sword and doing more sadistic shit with Asuna.

63rD99M.gif

iAkRNfz.gif

Yeah like that, and these aren't even the worst gifs I made!

EPpnmvM.gif

Kirito is about to give up when good guy Satan Kayaba shows up and tells him to quit being such a nerd and that's this is only a game versus his immense human will or something. So he does. He also uses his login "Heathcliff" to gain total control over the system, demoting Oberon, who tries to summon Excalibur. Kirito summons it for him and gives it to him (the same sword is the focus of an arc in SAO II) He isn't god, or even the king of fairies, he's the king of thieves! Sugo is LEGIT SHOOK and starts swinging Excalibur around at the ghost of Kayaba. Kirito lost to him once too but he didn't let it get him down. He turns the pain sensors all the way up and...

odCRQWy.gif

Yeah. Asuna logs out with Kirito's console. Yui is fine and Kirito has a conversation with the ghost in the machine himself. Tells him to take this seed and make lots of VRMMOS so other people with god complexes can rape and torture innocent minds or something. Maybe someone will finish Sugo's mind control software. Suguha is standing right over his face as he wakes up. He gives her a big hug and takes off on his bike to meet up with Asuna in the hospital as it starts snowing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still one of the most hilarious moments in ToonamiGAF reaction nights. I can't even think of anything that comes close.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Through hell and high water, it's Kayaba! Bah Gawd, he is in the building! Natsu is pissed off, the king of kings has returned!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kayaba's reasons for doing things continues to be "whatever."

Eh, this one actually makes sense. He doesn't like Sugo and wants to see his work, i.e. SAO continue, so saves Kirito and asks him to deliver "the world seed" as payback. Pretty simple motivation this time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, this one actually makes sense. He doesn't like Sugo and wants to see his work, i.e. SAO continue, so saves Kirito and asks him to deliver "the world seed" as payback. Pretty simple motivation this time.

Yea but the framing of him as a good guy will never not be absurd.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SWORD ART ONLINE - FINAL EPISODE: The World Seed

eUc9gpB.gif

So Kirito makes it to the parking lot...only to get stabbed in the shoulder! Sugo is fucked up by getting bisected in the virtual world, but not enough to get his shots in first. Kirito overpowers him and, well, gets ready to slit his throat with this weak, low powered, extremely short range weapon. Sugo pisses his pants and falls unconscious. Kirito greets Asuna formally and their avatars from SAO force ghost out the window...and this is all before the opening starts! Some time passes, VRMMOs are doomed after this second scandal but the 299 other people stuck in Alfheim woke up without any memories of their imprisonment in this second game. Asuna and Kirito are at the SAO school (School Art Offline?) and acting all lovey dovey. Her dad got his golden parachute and retired and she can walk without crutches now. Blacksmith and Dragon Girl plot to take Kirito away from Asuna but give them a month before becoming homewreckers, how nice of them.

N4XUQUD.gif

Congrats on beating two MMOS and ending the genre forever! Wait no, Kirito gave Agil the world seed a few months ago and its safe, so now everyone are forming startup VRMMOs that are slowly becoming interconnected. Suguha is bummed as hell at this party which shows cameos from all the important surviving SAO people and even some I have no fucking clue about.

SiKlGDJ.gif

Meanwhile Suguha is trying to kill herself virtually or something. What's the point of hanging out with Kirito, who of course catches her. They dance above the clouds for a bit when she gets mopey again. She can never "catch up to him" but he points to the moon and offers to go save Megaman Volnutt next a castle appears outta nowhere. Bah Gawd, Aincrad, the floating castle is back! Kirito reset his parameters to zero and asks her to conquer all 100 floors with him...and like 50 friends.

M9xz3AL.gif

She's happy either way, knowing she's still higher in the harem than Klein, Lisbeth, and Silica.

H4RBN5b.gif

Asuna looks like trash as an Undine. I'll never get used to it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The KiritoxKlein ship is gonna be pushed next season...

I just know it!

Just remember that Klein starts at numero uno in the harem. He gets replaced by blue haired suicidal girl, but she dies and remains on top as Silica shows up. Asuna bumps him down to number two but Lisbeth doesn't even make a dent with her confession. Suguha and then Sinnon in SAO II both bump him down to rank four by the end of the series.

The real fight is for the number two seed between Suguha and Sinnon. I'd say Sinnon has it.

Yea but the framing of him as a good guy will never not be absurd.

Eh, you don't have to be good to want to see your lifelong work continue on after you die. Well, assuming Kayaba is actually dead, which he totally isn't as his brain is floating along online and is probably being supported by the world seed.

Thursday is SAO Extra Part 3/3 time. Yes, it's basically a
beach episode

ckohler

One Piece: 101-130

• Usopp and Chopper make a good team.
  • As annoying as Bon Clay is, I don't mind him being an ally.
  • The Clima Tact is ridiculous. No way that thing can actually work, right?
  • I did however enjoy Nami's fight for the humor and her personal victory.
  • Baroque Works in general were pretty bad at what they do aside from Crocodile and Robin of course. I don't think I'm a fan of the overly comical villains. They just seem more annoying than funny, like that Mole woman and her stupid baseball bat partner.
  • Pell and (ironically) Bon Clay both turned out the be the true bros.
  • I always enjoy any time Tashigi is on screen.
  • Hina is cute. Hina cute.
  • Damn that final battle episode was epic. The best so far. Not just the scale of it but everything from the unusually fantastic animation to the music. Quite emotional.
  • Alabasta has been a long arc but the payoff was worth it. This ended like a typical series would end. Love that X mark moment.
  • Yes, Vivi is great. Great character. I bet Oda will bring her back towards the end of the series or something.
So, let's talk about Robin. I just finished episode 130 when she declared herself a Going Merry crew member. I get that's she's supposed to be mysterious and what-not but she's up to this point been shown to be pretty evil. Not "Crocodile" levels of evil but she's flat out said she didn't care about letting others die around her, the citizens of Alabasta in particular.

Since I've already seen Water 7 and Enies Lobby, I already know her backstory and why she is doing what she's doing but I was expecting a bit more redemption for her character by this point and instead the crew just sort of accepts her pretty quickly. I suppose I could just chalk that up as them being pirates. It makes me wonder if they are saving her character redemption for Skypia (which is next, I assume.)

Yes, Vivi is great. Great character. I bet Oda will bring her back towards the end of the series or something.

Hehehehe.

So, let's talk about Robin. I just finished episode 130 when she declared herself a Going Merry crew member. I get that's she's supposed to be mysterious and what-not but she's up to this point been shown to be pretty evil. Not "Crocodile" levels of evil but she's flat out said she didn't care about letting others die around her, the citizens of Alabasta in particular.

At that point, she saved Luffy's life twice so he views her in a more positive light than just a mysterious assassin. Not really evil, just very grey at this point in the story.

Finished One Piece through East Blue. I mostly knew what happened in Loguetown but it was still fun to see. Surprised I didn't see a future character there though. I figured Dragon was the one who saved Luffy from Buggy because I didn't think Nami had her weather staff by then. It's obvious that he is Luffy's father at that point but it's not officially confirmed until over 250 episodes later. One thing past Toonami about Dragon has bothered me some but it should get explained next episode. The mini arc after that about the Millenial Dragons was meh.

From there I've just been hopping around episodes. I saw Luffy's fight against Bellamy before Sky Island, as well as his final attack against Eneru. Have also been rewatching some of Enies Lobby. My first time watching One Piece was Sanji's fight against the bubble-bubble girl and I thought the form he got turned into was the standard art style, so I didn't pay much attention to it (still had it on in the background) until Luffy's fight with Lucci.

Next I'm going to watch (not much of a spoiler but tagging it just in case)
something relevant to Thriller Bark
, as well as seeing when Chopper and Robin joined the crew. Will probably end up watching all of Alabasta
because reading the manga thread comments I know a future character plays a role much later
as well.

Edit: started making this post before I saw ckohler's. Random timing.

Jarate

Banned
So taco bell has a deal where if you spend 10 dollars, you get two dollarss off if you order through the app. Buying 10$ worth of taco bell is a lot harder then it sounds

ckohler

Funny you guys should mention Vivi...

:O

I seriously had no idea she had JUST appeared in the manga until I saw your post and figured I check. Awesome! :D

Edit: started making this post before I saw ckohler's. Random timing.

Funny stuff. I have gotten quite hooked catching up on all I missed. I'm watching the dub. While I play not to rewatch what has been on Toonami (Davy Back Fight onwards) I'll probably rewatch a few key episodes now that I have more context.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
When is everyone's favorite hero, Spandam, gonna join the One Piece crew?

No

Edit: Also, I still have no idea why Kirito and co wanted to go back to SAO at the end of season 1. For Fuck's sake, you were held prisoner in that hell for 2 years, fighting for you actual lives, kidnapped. Thousands of people died.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, gonna miss part of Toonami this week. Friend asked me to cover for him, though thankfully, my work is a little lenient on when you can come in. Latest is 2 a.m., so most likely, as soon as Hunter x Hunter's done, I'm right out the door. I'll have to miss the live reactions to Champloo & One Piece, but at least I'll be able to catch the premiere with everyone.

Welp, gonna miss part of Toonami this week. Friend asked me to cover for him, though thankfully, my work is a little lenient on when you can come in. Latest is 2 a.m., so most likely, as soon as Hunter x Hunter's done, I'm right out the door. I'll have to miss the live reactions to Champloo & One Piece, but at least I'll be able to catch the premiere with everyone.
HxH is all that matters.

Captain Puzzle has probably already found One Piece.

It was in Nami's heart.

He unlocked it, when she fell madly in love with him.

Robin is jealous though, so in the new adventures that follow Captain Puzzle, there will be more wacky harem hijinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom