• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I legit forgot HxH premieres this weekend. Neat.

I don't watch or read Jojo.

You are not alone.

You guys should fix that.

Regarding the "Za Warudo" discussion, I knew what that was all about years before I fully understood what Jojo was. I feel that shit is kind of impossible to avoid if you consume enough Japanese entertainment media or even anything influenced by it around the world. Cultural osmosis is a thing. I wonder how my viewing of Stardust Crusaders would have been different is I didn't already know about this for years though.

It also doesn't help that I feel more and more dissatisfied with people on gaming forums. Idk if its because I'm older, but the constant politicization, constant nitpicking, and constant terrible discussion has really pushed me away from a lot of social aspects of gaming. I'm getting Overwatch though, because I treated TF2 like Dynasty Warriors cause I was generally a lot better then everyone else.

My favorite genre (fps) has also practically been destroyed by the huge amounts of ADS in games which annihilates any pacing and movement options in games. The other option is Halo, which has the issue of being so incredibly slow with so much auto aim, that it makes me hate myself while playing

The games I love I still love and love to talk about with others who want to discuss them it's why 90% of my time on both gaf and gamefaqs is in community threads/gameplay boards or specialty communities to discuss anime/manga/sports/wwe in both places. The best thing you can do is just use the almighty ignore button to weed out the people who constantly try to make everything into a political discussion.

Games are created or consumed in a vacuum so discussion about the politics of games is both important and unavoidable. It's something that should be talked about. I would recommend never using the actual ignore feature and try to read what everyone has to say, as long as they are making an effort to be courteous and open to learning, even if you kind of would want to punch that person in the face if you saw them IRL. This isn't to say you can't avoid topics or skip past posts of individuals or subjects you know aren't going to go well or will negatively affect you mental health if you engage in them (many race-based topics will often make me feel that way because you can often tell the fuckery coming from miles away and I may not have the energy to engage with or read pure nonsense). Still I'd argue against going out of your way to use the actual ignore feature though.

I think my issues regarding the discussions of the politics of games (but also real life politics which are much more important) is that so many people are devoid of empathy, have no idea what they are talking about (but boy will they pretend like they do), can't talk with or understand any concept of nuance and enjoy putting words in other people's mouths. I'm also getting increasingly sick of this newer trend of ideological purity tests (where it seems the political left is starting to mirror the political right). Where people will blast people who like agree with them over like 90% over a range of subjects or over all aspects of a particular subject but not 100%.

Relating this trend towards media, though this is a movie example, I'm someone who is ecstatic that Star Wars is going to make minority representation a explicit goal of its future productions with the Rey and Finn characters (among other things). People who are legit upset about that, and there are many, can get bent. However after seeing the movie, me and a lot of my other friends did think Rey was a bit boring, that they left out a lot of her character development to future moves and "woah she is REALLY good at a lot of things REALLY fast". This isn't even me or others saying she's a bad character but try to articulate that and you have a good chance of being met with paragraphs about how you're sexist or some psychological analysis about insecurity or some nonsense.

Or in the current Zelda rumors thread, there would be people that generally express "I absolutely think there should be a female playable character with equal importance as Link or even in place of him but I don't think they should actually genderswap Link" and they would be met with a response of "why do you hate women?!". Shit like that drives me up a wall. You both want better/more gender representation! Just because you disagree about how doesn't make the other person a misogynist FFS.

I ain't saying I'm a perfect human being but stuff like that just makes me go "HUH?". I guess its just a reflection of American politics (where most posters on this board come from) in that discussion on this board is definitely becoming polarized to a point that discussion can often go belly up real fast. There are certainly times for times of passionate and fiery responses and opinions but I wish people would take it down a notch more often irregardless of where they stand on an issue. Especially in the realm of video games where such extremes are often not warranted.

Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon

wnbZDfu.png

Chrono and Link's lovechild.

Right, time to start wrapping up the DBZ films/OVA with the last film before Battle of Gods, Wrath of the Dragon.

So WotD largely centers around Taipon, the predecessor of OoT Link merged with Chrono and his relationship with Trunks, who to the films credit, isn't nearly as annoying as he was in previous films.

Film exclusive characters usually aren't that great, but Taipon's got some complexity and intrigue in him largely thanks to his backstory and interactions with Trunks. I like him overall and he's one of the high points for the film. He also has Future Trunks' sword which just begs for a very convoluted explanation about that works.

Can't really same the same about the other two characters in WotD. Hirudegarn has a unique design but doesn't have much going for him otherwise. Hoi meanwhile is just a generic "I want to unleash a kaiju like monster onto the universe so I can try to conquer/destroy the universe before it inevitably turns on me" villain.

The best way I could describe the action in this is if Dragon Ball Z met Kaiju films. It's largely the Z fighters trying (and mostly failing) to stop a 50ft monster. It's pretty enjoyable and the great animation only serves to its benefit.

That said the ending is a complete asspull. What the hell changed in the span of 15 minutes that all of a sudden Goku could kill Hirudegarn? There are also some padding issues but nothing too severe in this case.

Overall, Wrath of the Dragon is pretty good, brought down largely by a shitty ending, mostly uninspired villains and some padding issues.

Seda

I remember Vegeta making a grand entrance in WotD, and then quickly getting tossed aside as he protects a building or something.

Jarate

Banned
I legit forgot HxH premieres this weekend. Neat.

You guys should fix that.

Regarding the "Za Warudo" discussion, I knew what that was all about years before I fully understood what Jojo was. I feel that shit is kind of impossible to avoid if you consume enough Japanese entertainment media or even anything influenced by it around the world. Cultural osmosis is a thing. I wonder how my viewing of Stardust Crusaders would have been different is I didn't already know about this for years though.

Games are created or consumed in a vacuum so discussion about the politics of games is both important and unavoidable. It's something that should be talked about. I would recommend never using the actual ignore feature and try to read what everyone has to say, as long as they are making an effort to be courteous and open to learning, even if you kind of would want to punch that person in the face if you saw them IRL. This isn't to say you can't avoid topics or skip past posts of individuals or subjects you know aren't going to go well or will negatively affect you mental health if you engage in them (many race-based topics will often make me feel that way because you can often tell the fuckery coming from miles away and I may not have the energy to engage with or read pure nonsense). Still I'd argue against going out of your way to use the actual ignore feature though.

I think my issues regarding the discussions of the politics of games (but also real life politics which are much more important) is that so many people are devoid of empathy, have no idea what they are talking about (but boy will they pretend like they do), can't talk with or understand any concept of nuance and enjoy putting words in other people's mouths. I'm also getting increasingly sick of this newer trend of ideological purity tests (where it seems the political left is starting to mirror the political right). Where people will blast people who like agree with them over like 90% over a range of subjects or over all aspects of a particular subject but not 100%.

Relating this trend towards media, though this is a movie example, I'm someone who is ecstatic that Star Wars is going to make minority representation a explicit goal of its future productions with the Rey and Finn characters (among other things). People who are legit upset about that, and there are many, can get bent. However after seeing the movie, me and a lot of my other friends did think Rey was a bit boring, that they left out a lot of her character development to future moves and "woah she is REALLY good at a lot of things REALLY fast". This isn't even me or others saying she's a bad character but try to articulate that and you have a good chance of being met with paragraphs about how you're sexist or some psychological analysis about insecurity or some nonsense.

Or in the current Zelda rumors thread, there would be people that generally express "I absolutely think there should be a female playable character with equal importance as Link or even in place of him but I don't think they should actually genderswap Link" and they would be met with a response of "why do you hate women?!". Shit like that drives me up a wall. You both want better/more gender representation! Just because you disagree about how doesn't make the other person a misogynist FFS.

I ain't saying I'm a perfect human being but stuff like that just makes me go "HUH?". I guess its just a reflection of American politics (where most posters on this board come from) in that discussion on this board is definitely becoming polarized to a point that discussion can often go belly up real fast. There are certainly times for times of passionate and fiery responses and opinions but I wish people would take it down a notch more often irregardless of where they stand on an issue. Especially in the realm of video games where such extremes are often not warranted.

I don't mind the fact that people do discuss political things on here, but the over reaction and the lack of any type of second opinions on basically any forum where there's any type of political agenda going on disgusts me on a personal level. I thinki it's the fault of most of the gaming forums ive used being too big, because political discussion ends up becoming getting upset at "clickbait" posts and strawman arguments out the wazoo (im guilty of both of these btw)

Also, just the general anger from video gam,es reminds me of /v/ crca 2012, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these posters were inspired by former /v/ posters with the constant hyperbole, constant shit flinging, and fanboyism. Like, it's very difficult to discuss an uncharted game here without getting attacked by the thousands of Naughty Dog fanboys, and it's impossible to discuss how 30 fps might make sense for a game that doesnt rely on intense or very specific timing of commands without being dog piled.

Everybody has pushed themselves into "factions" on the internet, and I never saw the purpose of being in a clique growing up, and I don't really see the need too now

TUSR

Banned
i want to be on a toonamigaf podcast

there is so many new games

there are new patches and expansions for games i play

finals are more annoying than difficult, they occupy 2-3 weeks at university.

back when i got my second diploma, i was writing 6 finals in 6 days.

Jarate

Banned

Just do what I did and fuck up your school career with severe depression issues!

Line_HTX

2nd? Holy shit. :O

Grexeno

Ugh, my internet is acting up on me. I hope it rights itself by this evening :(

How does one get in on this and does it require an inordinate amount of computer equipment I may not have or be able to afford?
You need:

1. A Google + account, which you already have if you have a Youtube account
2. A functioning mic of any kind that allows you to be inteligible in a Google Hangout
3. Be free on a Tuesday evening from 8 PM Eastern on.

Oh, thanks for the link!
Sounds pretty good. Now to wait and see if he can do the creepy moans as well too ;]

...Hold on, Toonami is broadcast from 12 to 3 AM? Who has the time to actually watch that stuff?

People with nothing to do on a Sunday morning or I guess a lot of people will just use DVR. Even if I watch live I have enough time to get up and do everything I need to do anyways.

D-did.....did we just get BTFO?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I used to use DVR on stuff past 3 a.m. but now that I have to stay up until 7 a.m. to keep my sleep schedule adjusted to working 3rd shift (& the fact they don't have those time slots anymore), I don't have to worry about DVRing any Toonami stuff, excluding this weekend on the grounds I'm covering a shift for my friend (which thankfully is the easiest/quickest job of the 3 things needed to be done).

I really do miss posting with you guys at night but every time it gets to like 11:30 on Saturday my body just shuts down and goes "nope". Hopefully this summer I can request Sunday's off instead of tues/thurs which I have to currently for school.

believe it
Just don't break these bonds, Seda

I really do miss posting with you guys at night but every time it gets to like 11:30 on Saturday my body just shuts down and goes "nope". Hopefully this summer I can request Sunday's off instead of tues/thurs which I have to currently for school.

Take naps, man. That's what I do. Just take a nice two hour nap sometime before Toonami and you'll be able to stay up.

Just don't break these bonds, Seda

Take naps, man. That's what I do. Just take a nice two hour nap sometime before Toonami and you'll be able to stay up.

The issue is working saturday 7-4, then usually having family things saturday night, then working sunday 7-4 is just murder. Each time I try to nap I'm just out and even if my alarm is set it gets reset till the next morning

Mizerman

That's fine. We won't be going anywhere(hopefully), so take your time.

Okay so I figure a lot of you in here are manga buyers and I need some help. What is a good place to buy physical manga volumes? I used to go to Walden Books (RIP) but now there is literally no bookstore in Brownsville. At least no book store that would have manga volumes. Amazon isn't an option because I don't want to get fucked on the shipping and also the volume prices are absurdly high. Can any of you help me?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay so I figure a lot of you in here are manga buyers and I need some help. What is a good place to buy physical manga volumes? I used to go to Walden Books (RIP) but now there is literally no bookstore in Brownsville. At least no book store that would have manga volumes. Amazon isn't an option because I don't want to get fucked on the shipping and also the volume prices are absurdly high. Can any of you help me?

Barnes and Nobles usually has a pretty healthy selection. Though you'll probably need to use Amazon at some point as the physical stores won't always have everything in stock.

Grexeno

Is there a Barnes & Noble anywhere near you?

Otherwise I'm afraid Amazon actually is your only option.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Your local library. That's how I read the entire FMA series....otherwise, Amazon's gonna be your best bet unless you wanna shop online at B&N's site.

I actually need to get around to selling or giving some of my manga away. Still don't get why I bought 3 volumes of the Certain Scientific Railgun when I already saw the anime...

bigkrev

Ah, NHL Playoffs first round. The hardest time of year to get the proper amount of sleep because the games go late, and God forbid there is overtime, you won't be able to emotionally calm down till like 3AM

Look for good wills you can find a shit load of cheap manga at them

Also if you don't mind buying used check out www.thriftbooks.com/ I've been able to get a bunch of stuff with free shipping for cheap in fairly good condition

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SWORD ART ONLINE - EXTRA EDITION: Yui Wants to Find a Whale.

So since, you know, I haven't posted about SAO Extra in awhile he's the scoop. The vast bulk of its run time is a recap of the first 25 episodes of SAO with little interludes involving Asuna/Silica/Lisbeth teaching Suguha how to swim at their school pool while Kirito does the recapping with the g-man. Anyways the reason for all of this is...Yui wants to see a whale, and there's sort of an equivalent in Alfheim.

8OjssEL.gif

7SPej2y.gif

GaTI8r9.gif

ByBb1wc.gif

So they have some fun at the beach.

2mitFIx.gif

And then...well, yeah. Klein is sad. Asuna casts a water breathing spell on them all as they head into the obviously glowing area at the bottom of the world map. They dive in and some sweet .hack music plays. An underwater city! An NPC quest giver! Klein bets it is a mermaid!

MGNAVGN.gif

It's a grandpa! Leafa thinks she knows the name of this obviously not a monster grandpa. He wants them to get a giant pearl and offers a big reward. Kirito and Klein have a man to man talk about Suguha and her fear of water and fall into a trap. Lisbeth calls him clumsy but Silica likes a man who trips a lot. Then they fight a Rock Head Relicanth.

J9lE25t.gif

No seriously. They're all useless and just wait for Kirito to kill it by riding the cyclone, but not before Suguha falls into the trap.

4ZsmBKU.gif

Suguha remembers that she nearly drowned in a koi pond as a little girl but Kirito saved her back then as he saves her now. Then Klein tries to save both of them but Agil saves all three of them with his awesome might. They still didn't find a whale for Yui but they brought the old man the pearl. They never ran into those thieves....don't give the old man the pearl! It's not a pearl but an egg!

ANKfA63.gif

It's not an old man but an anagram! He's a raid boss. The egg is basically Manaphy. This raid boss is waay stronger than anything in Aincrad and is about to kill them when.

bR9vjs0.gif

That's not Heathcliff! He takes the egg and offers them a ride home....

JvDTwTl.gif

ON LABOOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom