• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behold, the death of language.

Christ, that's depressing. Might as well put Shakespearean Star Wars beside it for comparison.

On that note, I request that we move on to another topic not related to Sword Art Online or the realities of the current generation.

Line_HTX

Christ, that's depressing. Might as well put Shakespearean Star Wars beside it for comparison.

On that note, I request that we move on to another topic not related to Sword Art Online or the realities of the current generation.

Today is Kabaneri day. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

zNVbydf.gif

Let's go, Kings!

Raxus

We really do need a new thread title to celebrate HxH coming to the block.

Toonami |Apr16| We can try again!
Toonami |Apr16| The Smile Bomb returns
Toonami |Apr16| Sentai Hunted to Extinction
Toonami |Apr16| Madhouse x Hunter x Hunter

Seda

not really related to Histugaya here but,

how important is a character's usefulness in order for them to be a good and/or interesting character?

how important is a character's usefulness in order for them to be a good and/or interesting character?

It all depends upon context in the story. My comment is that hitsugaya is a fairly minor character in the scheme of Bleach's story that never really has that signature moment to make him memorable or stand out, yet despite that he's incredibly popular seemingly based upon nothing but his design.

Mizerman

I mean he doesn't really, dude usually jobs I find his popularity outside of design baffling since he never gets that many moments to be an actual cool character.

True, but Hitsugaya is still very popular. That's why he's still in the series more or less.

It varies on what type of story one is doing. Sometimes a character can be working their ass off plotwise, and still be considered unpopular. While other characters exist just to be in the background and yet, are very popular.

bigkrev

I'm a huge fan of Heath Slater in WWE, and he is just about the biggest Jobber on the roster.

Crocodile

It all depends upon context in the story. My comment is that hitsugaya is a fairly minor character in the scheme of Bleach's story that never really has that signature moment to make him memorable or stand out, yet despite that he's incredibly popular seemingly based upon nothing but his design.

His signature moment was when he was tricked into stabbing his girlfriend :p

Raxus

Not very. Krillin proves that. But then again he has use in other manners.

It depends what you mean by usefulness. In a story a character worth following has agency. This means the character will make decisions based on what is established about their character. Despite not being much of a fighter, Krillin has several moments in the android arc and the Freeza arc that allowed things to play out the way they did. It also really shows how much of an interesting character he is.

I digress a little. Agency allows for further character building as we see in characters like Vash whose decision to not kill is the driving force behind Trigun. The lack of agency in Asuna and the poorly established character of Kirito is what drives SAO into the ground (sorry to circle back to this but it is the easiest example to pick from). Vash goes out of his way through hell and high water to make sure nobody dies and has the scars to prove it. Meanwhile Asuna is shown to be fiesty and a strong fighter at first then is confined to a cage in the second half. Kirito is shown to be a loner but is fucking all over the place throughout both of SAO's runs it makes your head spin. Violating the core principles of giving agency to a character and establishing character respectively.

Sorry, I really like talking about characters in series but I could literally go on for hours if I kept this up. There are many things that make a character interesting to follow. They can be useful or useless but they have to follow core principles in order to make the audience care. Without them the majority of the audience can't connect and remain apathetic to that character as we saw with Hitsugaya. His personality remains boilerplate throughout the series and there really aren't many examples of crucial decisions he makes that change the story of bleach that reflect on his personality.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was probably still playing with my Gamecube. I remember Wind Waker came out when I was in 5th grade.

Also, I gave in & got the entire Ruby Spears Mega Man series for $18 on Amazon. Discovering Captain N was a real trip since I never saw it as a kid, this will make for an interesting watch, especially since there'll be a new Mega Man cartoon next year....

.....that, uh, should be on Toonami...

He's been around a lot the final arc. Remember when he was a zombie for no reason?

Also...
JolFvy4.png

...starting to get a little anxious...does this game really need an upgrade system?

I mean having really liked mirror's edge but I can see how the game could implement an upgrade system well to increase your speed, jumping, offense, etc to allow for faster routes through the game world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom