• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
U7IdsTv.jpg

Nooooooooooo.

Rupert Sanders (“Snow White And the Huntsman”) is directing the anime adaption of Ghost in the Shell & is produced by Avi Arad (“THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2,” “IRON MAN”), Ari Arad (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”), and Steven Paul (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
April Fools next year will be nothing but live-action films of Toonami shows.

Enjoy Dragonball Evolution & GitS airing all night.

Edit: & I get it, you can't make a movie adaptation focused too much for the fans because you get something like Scott Pilgrim, something that was great but doesn't earn as much because you don't focus on the mainstream audience which is where the numbers are, but freakin' hell, Marvel showed us you CAN make adaptations & still be good. But how do you screw up basic stuff like HAIR COLOR. Yes, it was black in the 1995 film, but if this is suppose to be based more on the anime, why is it not purple?

CgCGuygUUAEnmZB.jpg

CgCGuy3VAAEJbIg.jpg

Apparently there was an ARISE live action movie? Maybe Hollywood should take notes. Also LOL at the staff list.

I don't like Arise's look but damn if that isn't accurate. Also, has anyone noticed that the Arise stuff on Netflix has weird names? It's like they're literally translating the names or something. It's like Ghost Tears and Ghost something or other.

So I know its not a great chance due to the pedigree, but what if white washed scarjo gits is better then the stage play?

Also lets be real its not like had they cast an asian actress it wouldn't save the film. It'll likely be bad regardless of the cast.

Seda

The casting is more an opportunity thing. Yes you can rationalize a 'white' Major Kusanagi through some combination of in-universe lore & adaptation leeway, and it may not contribute much to acting quality or production values or whatever (and honestly the movie might be more successful starring an white A-list actress.)

But when you have such a perfect chance to cast an iconic Asian female character - a group that isn't typically in a leading role spotlight - any other ethnicity feels like a swing and a miss.

We'll see with Ghost in the Shell, I guess. I'm conflicted with the casting since it SHOULD have an Asian lead, but it also might need star power to work at all, and if it works then it could maybe lead to more anime adaptations that could pull the trigger on casting actual Asian people, so I dunno? (The Death Note movie doesn't have this excuse).

That Snow White movie looks nice if nothing else, and one of the writers wrote Straight Outta Compton so there's still a chance it'll be okay.

Crocodile

The casting is more an opportunity thing. Yes you can rationalize a 'white' Major Kusanagi through some combination of in-universe lore & adaptation leeway, and it may not contribute much to acting quality or production values or whatever (and honestly the movie might be more successful starring an white A-list actress.)

But when you have such a perfect chance to cast an iconic Asian female character - a group that isn't typically in a leading role spotlight - any other ethnicity feels like a swing and a miss.

This ^^^

A big reason why there are so few "bankable minority actors" is because they are never given a chance. When people go on about "well they were just trying to find the best person for the job" they are kidding themselves because that's not how life actually works. The best person for a position often doesn't get the job for a host of reasons including being overlooked. It's almost never a case of there being literally no minority ______ skilled enough to do job ______. It's pretty much always a case of them getting overlooked.

We'll see with Ghost in the Shell, I guess. I'm conflicted with the casting since it SHOULD have an Asian lead, but it also might need star power to work at all, and if it works then it could maybe lead to more anime adaptations that could pull the trigger on casting actual Asian people, so I dunno? (The Death Note movie doesn't have this excuse).

That Snow White movie looks nice if nothing else, and one of the writers wrote Straight Outta Compton so there's still a chance it'll be okay.

I'm not sure of the budget of this GITS movie but star power sure as hell didn't save Gods of Egypt. In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a recent movie that was blatantly whitewashed where the "star power" was able to overcome the negative press from the obvious whitewashing or the legit faults of the film. I even think someone linked to me a recent study that said including a few Black major characters tended to increase the gross of your film. It was likely more a correlation than a causation but overall I think there have been enough examples of whitewashing not actually making studios more money that they should stop pretending that's the reason they do it (or that its a good reason).

I'm not sure of the budget of this GITS movie but star power sure as hell didn't save Gods of Egypt. In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a recent movie that was blatantly whitewashed where the "star power" was able to overcome the negative press from the obvious whitewashing or the legit faults of the film. I even think someone linked to me a recent study that said including a few Black major characters tended to increase the gross of your film. It was likely more a correlation than a causation but overall I think there have been enough examples of whitewashing not actually making studios more money that they should stop pretending that's the reason they do it (or that its a good reason).

We'll see I guess. I think Scarlett Johansson is more of a draw than Gerard Butler and Jaime Lannister for Gods of Egypt, and Exodus: Gods and Kings was basically Christian Bale and Some Other People. I imagine they're banking on how well Lucy did and her being in Marvel stuff, and I think it CAN work (especially since Ghost in the Shell is maybe not quite as obvious as Gerard Butler being an Egyptian god). To me, it's an "acceptable losses" thing since it can get the material out there that will have them thinking of casting Asian people; it'd be a pretty decent accomplishment to even get the potential roles circulating to begin with. That doesn't mean I think people should shut up, though, because if this does take off, the only way studios are gonna cave and cast Asians is if people are vocal.

It'd be interesting if they make Section 9 a global thing, but so far the villain is a white American guy and Batou is a white Danish guy and the only minority is Beat Takeshi as Aramaki; casting the old mentor as an Asian dude isn't much of a gesture. Like, our podcast was saying Aramaki would be Ken Watanabe because if you throw the Asians a bone, it's as Old Mentor Character. So I dunno. Not a ton of faith based on who they've revealed so far, and there's only like....two other characters before they'd be giving minorities the background roles. At least it's a prospective blockbuster led by a woman I guess.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost in the Shell will bomb, and anime to Hollywood film adaptations will be put on ice for another few years until someone tries again. Probably with Naruto.

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa being "white-washing". I saw one guy complain but that was Andrew Dobson and everything he says is like feces exploding from his mouth

I feel in the past few years a lot of the films people have rightfully complained about white washing would have bombed and been terrible regardless of how accurate the casting was (gods of egypt, exodus gods and kings, aloha). People should make more noise for Dr Strange a film that likely will be legit good and make a shit load of money that should have cast minority actors in some of the lead roles. I have seen people whine about Strange, but no where near as many or as loudly as people complained about exodus and this gits movie. I think its a sign that a lot of people who complain about white washing and boycotting films that are white washing are more oportunistic going after films they never had an interest in seeing and being strangely quiet for films that they are interested in. Minority actors deserve more opportunities for larger roles, but I don't want a situation where minority actors just get dumped into films nobody has any faith in like exodus or gods of egypt since that'll lead to the typical hollywood "see this is why we white wash derp derp" thought process.

Casting a white person for the main character when the adaption has them with a non-white ethnicity is a good indication the director/producers don't know or care about the original source material.

I feel in the past few years a lot of the films people have rightfully complained about white washing would have bombed and been terrible regardless of how accurate the casting was (gods of egypt, exodus gods and kings, aloha). People should make more noise for Dr Strange a film that likely will be legit good and make a shit load of money that should have cast minority actors in some of the lead roles. I have seen people whine about Strange, but no where near as many or as loudly as people complained about exodus and this gits movie. I think its a sign that a lot of people who complain about white washing and boycotting films that are white washing are more oportunistic going after films they never had an interest in seeing and being strangely quiet for films that they are interested in. Minority actors deserve more opportunities for larger roles, but I don't want a situation where minority actors just get dumped into films nobody has any faith in like exodus or gods of egypt since that'll lead to the typical hollywood "see this is why we white wash derp derp" thought process.

.....or maybe it's because the Doctor Strange material is both less familiar and not as overt since it involves Old Asian Mentor, in addition to having Chiwetel Ejiofor in the main cast? There doesn't have to be some nefarious agenda. And like, are we gonna act like there wasn't just a big thing about Iron Fist and that Marvel doesn't receive pretty steady criticism about making movies starring straight white guys often named Chris?

.....or maybe it's because the Doctor Strange material is both less familiar and not as overt since it involves Old Asian Mentor, in addition to having Chiwetel Ejiofor in the main cast? There doesn't have to be some nefarious agenda. And like, are we gonna act like there wasn't just a big thing about Iron Fist?

Was there? I haven't really followed the mcu film series only just watched daredevil s1.

Was there? I haven't really followed the mcu film series only just watched daredevil s1.

Yeah, people were pushing for an Asian as Iron Fist before the casting was announced and there was some backlash when it was announced to be a white guy. I opposed it because I think "CAST AN ASIAN TO DO THE KUNG FU" feels like the most insincere shit imaginable when we never talk about replacing any of the other white dudes who DON'T do kung fu with Asians.

Mizerman

The Iron Fist situation is a Catch-22. Cast an Asian lead, get accusations of "oh, you think all Asians do martial arts?" Cast a lead of the different race, get accusations of whitewashing.

It was gonna happen one way or another.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Michael Bay's Inuyasha

Starring Shia LaBouf as Inuyasha
Megan Fox as Kagome
Racial Stereotype as Shippo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom