• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

So it sounds like you american anime (wrasslin) fans got your tenchi muyo gxp
Divorced of any context, it was a good, but too long show
Unfortunately, it did nothing but maintain the status quo of the last 2 years when it had so many chances for big changes, so people are going to hate it more than they should, objectively.

I have no idea who to main.

I like Lucario. He's cool.

Also, I've been thinking about going through the Tenchi Muyo series.

All of it.

Hellwarden, as someone who has done most of this...

only the first two OVA series (arguably only the first but I think that's just me), Tenchi Universe, and the third movie, Tenchi Forever, are worth anything whatsoever.

and that sounds like a lot but those first two OVA series total like 13 episodes in all

Divorced of any context, it was a good, but too long show
Unfortunately, it did nothing but maintain the status quo of the last 2 years when it had so many chances for big changes, so people are going to hate it more than they should, objectively.

As someone who rarely watches wrestling but kinda follows it

The whole night just felt flat, I was bored for most of the matches and nothing I saw made me want to start watching raw again. If anything it cemented that this really sucks right now and I don't want to bother.

Hellwarden, as someone who has done most of this...

only the first two OVA series (arguably only the first but I think that's just me), Tenchi Universe, and the third movie, Tenchi Forever, are worth anything whatsoever.

and that sounds like a lot but those first two OVA series total like 13 episodes in all

Hmmm, okay. I still might check out the bad stuff, but I'll look at those first.

Also just randomly looking through one of the series...
download.png
Fucking kill this thing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
can someone throw me the link to the reactions to this episode so I can confirm whether or not this was "the one"

There were far worse episodes, like the Neju intro episode was by far worse then this shit, or maybe im so broken nothing affects me anymore
Even before seeing your previous post, I knew you just saw episode 18.

It's terribleness is probably overexaggerated a lot but at the time new Toonami was still young and we hadn't endured the terribleness of SAO or Akame yet. Plus the lineup was pretty good at the time so Tenchi stuck out even more.

That said, Tenchi is still the worst thing to air on Toonami ever.

Jarate

Banned
I think the easiest way too tell how bad it was was that even Man God seems so morally defeated, that he can't even jokingly pretend to enjoy watching Sword Art Online.

I feel bad for you guys

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the easiest way too tell how bad it was was that even Man God seems so morally defeated, that he can't even jokingly pretend to enjoy watching Sword Art Online.

I feel bad for you guys

Funny you mention that as...

I actually REALLY enjoyed the last episode I watched. It's probably the second best episode of this run so far.

The first Tenchi movie is also sorta nonsense but it's fine compared to a lot of what came; barring the third movie and I guess this first one if you wanna count it, the franchise is pretty much worthless after 1995.

They're still releasing stuff related to it 20 years after that point.

you know, being reminded of that show's ugly art and bad animation and bland early 2000s color palette and fucking godawful "SLOW PANS AND SLOW ZOOMS ALL THE FUCKING TIME" direction with a gif actually physically irritates me a little bit

it makes it REAL

Jarate

Banned
He's literally saying in the dub "I guess they are thirsty"

Im aware

maybe my brain just refuses to actively take part in watching these episodes. I barely remember the last 2 episodes that I watched.

I don't have the energy too watch more. Also, that mermaid thing was weird, and it was super apparent that that episode was a SHIT WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WERE GOING TO DO and yet we still have 8 episodes left

you know, being reminded of that show's ugly art and bad animation and bland early 2000s color palette and fucking godawful "SLOW PANS AND ZOOMS ALL DAY EVERY DAY" direction with a gif actually physically irritates me a little bit

it makes it REAL

It's kind of amazing how shit some of this series looks. It's really really bad, but it is a comedy show mostly, so i can get the bad animation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
you know, being reminded of that show's ugly art and bad animation and bland early 2000s color palette with a gif actually physically irritates me a little bit

it makes it REAL

Tenchi Muyo is a cursed franchise when it comes to art.

The OVA (Part 1 and 2) are one of the best looking things around without a theatrical budget. The movies look damn good too!

Then Universe comes along and looks noticeably worse. But that's okay, because it was an accepted thing at that time that tv shows have lower budgets than OVAs, this happens all the time. Then Tokyo comes out and...looks even worse than Universe. Then Pretty Sasami and OVA3, then GXP...

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 1 Ryoko Resurrected
After a pretty generic opening, we actually open not on our titular hero, but on his grandfather taking his sweet ass time getting up some steps. He finds his grandson, Tenchi, trying to swipe some keys so he can go into a crypt housing an ancient demon. After goading his grandson into trying to take the keys, he promptly knocks Tenchi on his ass. Tenchi is not dismayed and later swipes the keys off camera. Sneaking down into the crypt, it's revealed via flashback that Tenchi's ancestor sealed a demon away, and it is vital that it stay locked away. Tenchi seems to be keen to sneak in mostly to escape his boredom. He breaks in, and in a effectively directed scene, the mummy of the demon comes to life. Tenchi however beats a quick exit, and seemingly seals it back up.
We then cut to Tenchi at school where he's having a discussion with a classmate about how boring his summer was. The conversation seems to imply that Tenchi is not particularly experienced in dealing with the opposite sex. He goes to the roof, falls asleep, and wakes several hours later. To the shock of no one the demon he thought he escaped from has followed him to school, only in a less Brook-like appearance. Right off the bat Ryoko is fun to watch. Despite trying to seriously harm our hero, she's playful and flirtatious. Despite her immense power she falls for the old "HEY LOOK OVER THERE!" gag, and when caught in an explosion takes her time cleaning herself off. When accused of being a monster by Tenchi, who lists out a plethora of valid reasons why she could qualify, she gets comically insulted. Tenchi eventually defeats her by cutting off her hand with his ancestor's sword. Rather than threaten him more, Ryoko actually takes it in stride, playfully regenerating her hand in a mock magic trick, and leaving with a bow. Realizing that the destruction of their fight might be blamed on him, Tenchi books it home, only to find Ryoko waiting for him in his bed. After a bit of fanservice the episode ends.

So I'm not gonna lie, watching this was actually pretty fun. It was animated and shot well. The characters were expressive and played off each other well. I watched it subbed, and the voice acting was decent. The music wasn't great however, and sometimes seemed at odds with the scene. The fanservice at the end was surprisingly tactful, and even sensual.

Crocodile

eureka_by_raichiyo33-d9wzzdt.jpg

Cute fanart I stumbled upon. Source.

you know, being reminded of that show's ugly art and bad animation and bland early 2000s color palette and fucking godawful "SLOW PANS AND SLOW ZOOMS ALL THE FUCKING TIME" direction with a gif actually physically irritates me a little bit

it makes it REAL

Yeah the early 2000s was an awkward time when anime studios were really figuring out digital techniques. The unfortunate result is that some shows from that era just look straight up bad and irrecoverably dated :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, is it just Archie comics in general, or do most american comics do that "THIS HAPPENED IN ISSUE ##! - Editor" box thing? I'm reading through the Mega Man/Sonic crossover & it seems like every other page it needs to remind me a certain thing happened in an earlier chapter.

Based on manga I've read, they just do a flashback image behind the characters or just let the characters say the line.

Line_HTX

I don't wanna though!

Women, alien or otherwise, shouldn't be trying to bang Kermit.

Dude, you are screwing up royally by not watching the dub OG Toonami style. This was my shit back in 5th grade not knowing what all the harem tropes were. All I had was Optimus Prime calling them six crazy women and the slogan "Love STINKS."

Seda

so, i don't really mind that kyoma isn't a very sympathetic character (yet?)

but, punching a girl in the face?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so, i don't really mind that kyoma isn't a very sympathetic character (yet?)

but, punching a girl in the face?

She's not really a girl to him.

IT is a dumbass piece of scrap that he needs to keep around for the time being.

Like you ever had a cell phone you didn't really like but you were still on contract and had to keep it around? And what if instead of the voice recognition not working, it worked perfectly but still had its own ideas about shit? And you couldn't even just leave it at home because it would follow you and make people think maybe you were a creeper?

Seda

She's not really a girl to him.

IT is a dumbass piece of scrap that he needs to keep around for the time being.

Like you ever had a cell phone you didn't really like but you were still on contract and had to keep it around? And what if instead of the voice recognition not working, it worked perfectly but still had its own ideas about shit? And you couldn't even just leave it at home because it would follow you and make people think maybe you were a creeper?

Yeah, that's the idea but you'd think if he fully considers her a thing/tool he'd realize punching it is probably going to hurt :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom