• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the backgrounds in SAO but hate the character designs, as every single thing is super soft looking

nrEBb.gif

and all the characters end up looking very similar

tumblr_myor6syG1q1s307p6o2_500.gif

they're hair color coded though

what more do you want from anime

If casts of live action media had distinct color coded hair I'd be able to remember characters in theme easier >_>

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That last gif is surprisingly low quality for SAO. I've never had trouble with the faces in that.

The shows that are wretched for character faces are Gundam SEED and Baccano. Especially SEED in which there are about four faces for around a hundred characters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
^ I love that dumb SAO gif. They're trying so hard to get both the ass and boob shots. It's so forced.

Episode eighteen went overboard with the fanservice. I could probably get myself banned posting these gifs around.

TcaQNqw.gif

Not this one though, this is from episode five.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering moe dragon girl and blacksmith girl have basically no character whatsoever.

Moe Dragon Girl: I was being bullied by a secret player killer and Kirito saved my life and brought my dragon back from the dead. I think I love him.

Blacksmith Girl: Kirito was an asshole to me and we went on an expedition to get crystal dragon dung during which he impressed me so much I declared my love for him...which he didn't hear. My best friend Asuna is also in love with him and they get married in like two episodes, so...

Suguha/Sinon: We get whole arcs! Suguha's takes place over a whole week while Sinnon falls madly in love in about...two days or so?

Yuuki: So do I but fuck Kirito, Asuna is my jam! Oh no super aids!

FUN SAO FACT: The only three women Yui will let near Kirito are Suguha (Auntie), Asuna(Mommy) and...Sinon? (Assie?)

Line_HTX

You're just setting me up to say "More like boob Leafa", aren't you?

I think I like Leafa the most out of the bland archetypal girls of SAO? Maybe?

That wasn't my intention, lol

Imagine if Leafa was playable in Dengeki Ignition and upgraded from Assist character.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Suguha is by far the most interesting and developed character on the show. Kinda gets ignored in SAO II though, which is a shame and probably will never get the spotlight again.

Puberty is puberty. I remember people justifying Goku's Japanese voice because he's still mentally a kid or some shit. I don't buy it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Masako Nozawa was originally going to be replaced, but she re-auditioned for older Goku and her performance convinced the producers + Toriyama to keep her on as the voice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
every character except the loli is a varying degree of SPUNKY.

they even kinda changed Asuna's character to be more laid-back for variety purposes

Motherhood does that to you...well, that and they added two "firecrackers" in a row to the harem in Leafa and Sinon. Plus she's no longer trapped in any game by the time everyone is playing together.

The main difference between SAO Asuna and Alfheim Leafa is that Leafa is clearly nowhere near as observant not ever once picking up on the fact that's her brother she's playing with but also she's much quicker with comebacks and retorts than Asuna, who is sometimes left flustered by the weird shit Kirito says. Asuna meanwhile would have figured out who Kirito was within minutes given the same information if she was his sister/cousin.

I was going to make another dumb joke about this but I think we need to be serious.

1aYKRF0.jpg

Since ALO doesn't have the magic mirrors from SAO that copy your real appearance, that means Suguha intentionally maxed the slider.

Unless of course you get a random avatar when you make your character and there are ultra rare ones, like GGO.

You know, MMORPG video games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You do always get a random Avatar in Alfheim. Kirito looks the way he does because he picked the right race for his preferred color clothing and...well, he's a super hacked character because of how/why the game was designed.

Probably is why Asuna looks just like Asuna in Extra/SAO II but with blue hair. It's really ugly too. To be fair though if random look like your real self mirror was in Alfheim Suguha would look even better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually I wonder if Asuna and the other 300 people locked into Alfheim are super hacked like Kirito or if that was all Yui's fault.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's dumb! Like most of SAO!

And yes, Asuna looks better with her real hair color.

Eh, it could be a lie from the producers of the game given how close everyone in the game looks to their real self. Maybe they are also taking biometrics and just calling it random.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Too bad the dub isn't on Netflix or else I'd have to cover SAO II as well. I'm gonna finish this project next weekend with SAO Extra, the new shit I didn't cover all that time ago.

Jarate

Banned
Man-God, let's watch anime together sometimes, either you or me can stream it :3

We can both watch the struggle anime, as we both know the struggle is real

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man-God, let's watch anime together sometimes, either you or me can stream it :3

We can both watch the struggle anime, as we both know the struggle is real

My next goal after SAO is done and I'm caught up with Fairy Tail is to actually watch the rest of the intended Chiller Block. Is This a Zombie? Black Blood Brothers, DMC, and...a show I can't even remember.

Jarate

Banned
My next goal after SAO is done and I'm caught up with Fairy Tail is to actually watch the rest of the intended Chiller Block. Is This a Zombie? Black Blood Brothers, DMC, and...a show I can't even remember.

Can you stream it? if we pick a time every night id be game too watch, if not I could always try to do it too

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah I don't got the gear. We could just time it up in a chat and watch it together. They should all be on Funimation's streaming service.

zulux21

SAO has a good artstyle (in SAO and ALO).

Would prefer a pure fantasy show without the MMO element, considering how poorly the video game (lack of) logic is handled.

to be fair part of that is on the anime.
the logic is a bit better in the books.

for example, dragon trainer girl... well she is really a rogue (or something like that) that got a bonus skill as animal trainer isn't a class in the game. Thus the pet dying like that makes a lot more sense game wise because it's a bonus thing and not what your character is based around lol.

also due to the shipping talk earlier I feel the need to
post this amv
like I always do when shipping talk happens :p

Jarate

Banned
Hometown has always been represented in SAO, although like I said, was never that huge a fan of the art style of SAO's characters

Raxus

A statement that always resonated with me is a true test of strong character design is recognizing a character by their shadow alone.

Jarate

Banned
A statement that always resonated with me is a true test of strong character design is recognizing a character by their shadow alone.

We should invent something like this but make it make it based on booty

"Can you figure out who each character is by their booty"

Jarate

Banned
Also, is it just me, or does Rogue One look exactly the same as TFA based on the trailer

Only thing im looking forward too are Forrest Whitaker looks amazing and same with Donnie Yen

it basically is

Female Badass
Hunky guy who's a pilot
Token Minority (which I will assume will be by far the best character like Finn was)
Death Star

Action direction looks a lot better though. The lightsaber battle in TFA was WEAK

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I avoided everything about Star Wars VII. I liked Star Wars VII despite some faults. Going to do the same with the numbered movies/spinoffs. It's kinda exciting.

Jarate

Banned
I avoided everything about Star Wars VII. I liked Star Wars VII despite some faults. Going to do the same with the numbered movies/spinoffs. It's kinda exciting.

do you need us too spoiler anything

I avoided every major spoiler from that movie, and was kind of upset that people were so upset at being spoiled by it. There really was no twist in the movie

Man God

Non-Canon Member
do you need us too spoiler anything

I avoided every major spoiler from that movie, and was kind of upset that people were so upset at being spoiled by it. There really was no twist in the movie

Like I literally knew nothing until I accidentally saw the Monday Night Football teaser. I had an inkling from reading thread titles that the leads were a black man and a young woman and I remember hearing the spec script outline for the original draft about Luke Skywalker being outnumbered and that's about it.

You just ignore/stop reading when it comes up in other places. My biggest problem is that I agreed to see it with my brother first so I had to wait until Christmas to actually see it and people started spoiling it left/right/center in unrelated podcasts the week or so before.

Oh fuck off UPS. Sent my laptop back to get fixed but forgot to pack the adapter with it so I put it in a separate package. They received the adapter today but not my laptop. -_-'

Line_HTX

Like I literally knew nothing until I accidentally saw the Monday Night Football teaser. I had an inkling from reading thread titles that the leads were a black man and a young woman and I remember hearing the spec script outline for the original draft about Luke Skywalker being outnumbered and that's about it.

You just ignore/stop reading when it comes up in other places. My biggest problem is that I agreed to see it with my brother first so I had to wait until Christmas to actually see it and people started spoiling it left/right/center in unrelated podcasts the week or so before.

They did emphasize to everybody that they were going to show it at halftime, and for whatever reason the 1st half took so fucking long to finish that everyone in all different threads were raging where was the trailer.

The best gif ever. The best idea came to mind while staring at the buttocks of Sinon.

Considering how almost all of us dislike it, I don't think there's a single more posted gif than the ones from SAO.

Are we all actually tsun for SAO?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm still trying to hold out on the manga. Never read manga before and not sure if I would like it. Plus I have no idea where to even view it where for the anime I have Crunchyroll for it and other things.

But the anime has terrible pacing :(

BBboy20

Am I the only one still being freaked about an entire franchise being hinged on the idea that mass murder is ok for so long it brings something in value to franchises' surviving characters?

zulux21

Am I the only one still being freaked about an entire franchise being hinged on the idea that mass murder is ok for so long it brings something in value to franchises' surviving characters?

I'm not, but that is mostly because that doesn't remotely fit with what I have seen or read. (it's about the idea of having to survive a fantasy RPG with death stakes, and then after that it's about making money while being entertaining to some degree :p money thing aside though the franchise is about the idea of how VR could be abused and cause problems whether it is trapping people in a game for an experiments, or abusing people's unawareness to commit crimes ect)

At no point in my reading of the books (part of the way through book 5 which is the start of season 2) and not in my memory of the anime (which is a lot fuzzier as I just read the books in the last month :p thus if the hero stuff happens in the second season I am not caught back up there.) do I recall people being okay with what went on. They try to focus on the positives from it, but not because they think what happened was okay, but because that is a normal way to handle bad things. (even if I am forgetting something any positive feelings towards the mass murder can easily be explained away via Stockholm syndrome and thus not a big deal to me at all)

really though if you wanted you could treat the entire franchise as just the first half of the first season, as that was all he originally meant to make of the series. The rest was just made because it was popular and he had more ideas. Heck the only reason kirito has a harem is because the writer is bad at focusing on not kirito, he says so in book 2 which is where all the extra girls come from lol.

granted... I actually like SAO :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom