• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best female Toonami heroine? Maka is good. I enjoyed both leads in Michiko & Hatchin. Eureka felt believable throughout Eureka Seven.

The best tho...gonna have to go with Haruko from FLCL.
giphy.gif

Haruko is one of those rare heroines who doesn't fall into an easy to define archetype. She's brash and rude, but seems to care about people on some level. She's not really the main focus of the show, but she's arguably the most entertaining aspect of it. What one person takes out of her character could be entirely different from what another person does. I would be remiss not to mention that Haruko spends a lot of time naked and in fanservicey outfits, but it never feels forceful. The sexuality present in FLCL is crucial the overall tone and themes of the series. As much as I like anime and manga, including the fanservice ones, I can't say that for many of them.

Soulflarz

Banned
fanbases suck

On this note, I'm reminded of something. Blame checking twitter again, if you will.
Whats going on with the FFXV fanbase? I understand the p5 fanbase loving everything because it looks solid, but the FFXV fanbase is like...diehard defending every flaw the game has, from saying the leaked story is 'good' to the lighting changes and bad gameplay being 'not noticable' and 'different'.

I've seen what people label defense forces many times, but this is something a whole level farther.

On this note, I'm reminded of something. Blame checking twitter again, if you will.
Whats going on with the FFXV fanbase? I understand the p5 fanbase loving everything because it looks solid, but the FFXV fanbase is like...diehard defending every flaw the game has, from saying the leaked story is 'good' to the lighting changes and bad gameplay being 'not noticable' and 'different'.

I've seen what people label defense forces many times, but this is something a whole level farther.

If FFXV's reception is bad or average the internet is gonna implode for a few days.

Seda

First of all, I think boiling it down to <'Persona 5 looks great so of course nobody is criticizing it' and 'FFXV looks bad and people are defending it??????'> is a much too shallow way to look at it.

Quite honestly, we still haven't seen /that much/ of Persona 5. Yes I know Atlus has shown several snippets of gameplay and social links (or whatever they are called now) and such leading up to release, but we've seen magnitudes more of FFXV, and thus it is much, much, much easier to scrutinize at this point. The development history plays a role too, especially seeing things changed, altered, or even cut out entirely (mechanically and narrative) from earlier demos and trailers (going back YEARS now). That throws another wrench into how we can scrutinize decision making on the part of Square Enix, the way they respond to feedback, in what the game used to look like and what it looks like now. Whereas Persona 5, while slowly revealed over time, has stayed pretty much consistent in its identity.

Using FFXV as an example here, what really boggles my mind are the posters who 1.) Give themselves an FFXV username and avatar, 2.) Consume anything and everything FFXV (but somehow still will be annoyed at spoilers) 3.) seemingly only talk about FFXV and define themselves by a game that hasn't released, a game they have no direct experience with, and don't even know if they will ultimately enjoy. How do people dedicate themselves to a single unreleased title so extremely? I swear there are at least a dozen people on GAF who (at least appear to) fit this description. What will they do if the game disappoints them?

There are too many great games out there. I can't imagine devoting that much mindshare to a singular one.

Or in short, hype is silly.

Soulflarz

Banned
First of all, I think boiling it down to <'Persona 5 looks great so of course nobody is criticizing it' and 'FFXV looks bad and people are defending it??????'> is a much too shallow way to look at it.

Quite honestly, we still haven't seen /that much/ of Persona 5. Yes I know Atlus has shown several snippets of gameplay and social links (or whatever they are called now) and such leading up to release, but we've seen magnitudes more of FFXV, and thus it is much, much, much easier to scrutinize at this point. The development history plays a role too, especially seeing things changed, altered, or even cut out entirely (mechanically and narrative) from earlier demos and trailers (going back YEARS now). That throws another wrench into how we can scrutinize decision making on the part of Square Enix, the way they respond to feedback, in what the game used to look like and what it looks like now. Whereas Persona 5, while slowly revealed over time, has stayed pretty much consistent in its identity.

Using FFXV as an example here, what really boggles my mind are the posters who 1.) Give themselves an FFXV username and avatar, 2.) Consume anything and everything FFXV (but somehow still will be annoyed at spoilers) 3.) seemingly only talk about FFXV and define themselves by a game that hasn't released, a game they have no direct experience with, and don't even know if they will ultimately enjoy. How do people dedicate themselves to a single unreleased title so extremely? I swear there are at least a dozen people on GAF who (at least appear to) fit this description. What will they do if the game disappoints them?

There are too many great games out there. I can't imagine devoting that much mindshare to a singular one.

Going to have to admit my phrasing there really shortens the issue to something that is much more complex, yes. Anyways, I think P5 is going to be like souls to me. It's going to fall into formula eventually, and over time my 9-10 for the games will fall into the 8s from repetition. But back on FFXV.

FFXV is in a very confusing place at the moment. Its my poster-game for "a thing people refuse to change opinions on" since they'll like it even if it's awful, which makes no sense. It's not a good way to look at products. People will also do this for p5 sadly, but because it hasn't happened so heavily, FFXV is the strong example for it at the moment. We've had two demos, both of which didn't play well and were by all standards technical messes, yet people keep saying 'wait for the final product', even though people played a much more modern build and it's still a wreck. I would still mind it even if the game was okay/good, because there's some endless defending of the game going on as if it's a 10/10 game that they've loved since childhood.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This is kind of interesting, a site surveyed 500 Japanese people in their 20s & 30s (50/50 men & women) on what they thought were the worst Shonen Jump heroines. Kind of relates since Nami tied at #13 with 3 other characters.

I will say WTF at #1 & #9, though #2 was warranted.....also maybe the girl who tied #3 & was on Adult Swim Action a while ago.

... PEOPLE REMEMBER HOSHIN ENGI?!? How was Dakki even a heroine?

tumblr_lydepb3xEL1qd0dw5o1_r1_500.gif

Yes, that's most of what I got from that list ;-)

Karou made people angry in Kenshin?

As far as a best Heroines of Toonami... I'd probably have to go for Motoko Kusanagi.
tumblr_mzstbrKuhv1src1c6o1_500.gif

She has a maturity very few others ever on the block ever have, and she's the standard I compare similar types to. And unlike a character like Revy, I don't feel like she's trying TOO HARD at times to seem badass. She can seem human, mechanical, relatable, cold blooded, monstrous, motherly, perverse, tough, tender... whatever the stand alone or complex episode might call for. Yet it never feels out of character. It just makes her feel like a better, more nuanced one.

Line_HTX

*two characters (any gender), open up emotionally to each other, perhaps confide something, show mutual trust*
"omg thirsty / wants the d / yuri/yaoi bait !"

- most anime fans

I don't think I use thirsty or bait so easily off the bat. I'm usually patient and just let things ride out before saying random shit, haha

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokémon Shippers are hilarious. Some people are convinced for example that Dawn and Paul are a true, indestructible relationship...and they have maybe 10 lines of dialogue with each other in 100+ episodes.

Raxus

Sometimes it's warranted, considering how many anime relationships are poorly done.

I am actually struggling to think of a shonen series that actually had a pretty good romance around it. Most of the time it is some uninterested party or some typical anime bullshit.

I actually like Maka and Soul from Soul Eater since it is largely a platonic relationship done right.

Pokémon Shippers are hilarious. Some people are convinced for example that Dawn and Paul are a true, indestructible relationship...and they have maybe 10 lines of dialogue with each other in 100+ episodes.

Paul had one actual conversation with Dawn in the entire DP series.

One.

BBboy20

Ask Kagari?

Seda

Ask Kagari?

Kagari is definitely not in that category if that's what you are implying. In fact, one reason why I see any of this stuff is that she'll link us the harassing messages about how she is an FFXV hater or an unethical journalist because she'll comment on rumors. She's recently also been vocal about her enthusiasm for ZTD, Tales of Berseria, Persona 5, Uncharted earlier in the year, stuff like that.

Her one true love is FFXIV anyway.

I think it's more than that.

I do distinctly remember him...forgetting her very existence though.

The conversation I'm recalling is the one in DP186. For those not in the know, it was like 5 episodes before DP ended. They said things to each other before, but it mostly just Dawn calling Paul a jerk.

So obviously, they're in love.

Moaradin

Kagari is definitely not in that category if that's what you are implying. In fact, one reason why I see any of this stuff is that she'll link us the harassing messages about how she is an FFXV hater or an unethical journalist because she'll comment on rumors. She's recently also been vocal about her enthusiasm for ZTD, Tales of Berseria, Persona 5, Uncharted earlier in the year, stuff like that.

Good taste

Soulflarz

Banned
Ask Kagari?

Pretty sure Seda and I are referring to the same group and probably the same person(s) when we discuss FFXV fanboying.

Can confirm she loves FFXIV

Good taste

Tell Vox I say hi. He probably misses me.

Jarate

Banned
im the biggest FF15 fanboy in this thread

Jarate and my avatar are both from FF15, and I will defend the game no matter what!

Jarate

Banned
No, but seriously, I dont understand how you can possibly get hyped for a game thats been in development hell for so long.

Im gonna get the game because ive enjoyed all the demos, but I dont see why you'd choose FF15 to get hyped over.

but in the Persona 5 vs FF15 debate, let's ignore the wildly different battle systems for a sec and consider them in the same realm of Jrpgs, Persona 5 doesnt really look all that ambitious of a game. Im sure it will be good, but the Persona games never really did anything for me.

Moaradin

Danganronpa is a series I hear about all the time and still have no idea what the hell it's about. I'll probably pick up the first two games whenever they go on sale on Steam.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Danganronpa is a series I hear about all the time and still have no idea what the hell it's about. I'll probably pick up the first two games whenever they go on sale on Steam.
Ace Attorney + 999/Zero Escape + dash of Persona + Clue

Cornbread78

No, but seriously, I dont understand how you can possibly get hyped for a game thats been in development hell for so long.

Im gonna get the game because ive enjoyed all the demos, but I dont see why you'd choose FF15 to get hyped over.

but in the Persona 5 vs FF15 debate, let's ignore the wildly different battle systems for a sec and consider them in the same realm of Jrpgs, Persona 5 doesnt really look all that ambitious of a game. Im sure it will be good, but the Persona games never really did anything for me.

I'm still hyped for it because it's a mainline Final Fantasy game. Despite the gate XIII, I still enjoyed my time with it. Regardless of this ridiculous dev cycle, it's still a brand I have faith in to delivet a good final product.

bigkrev

Middle of case 4 in some ways I like it better then Dangan 1 in other ways its way worse. I also didn't care much for Danganronpa 1.

I mean, if you didn't like Danganronpa 1, there was zero chance of you liking Danganronpa 2. I hope someone didn't say "oh man, it's way better!" to you.

*two characters (any gender), open up emotionally to each other, perhaps confide something, show mutual trust*

- most anime fans

As someone who might seem guilty of this, I hope you understand that i'm joking around 95% of the time.

It's that other 5% that makes life worth living!

Weeks with marathons always make me feel odd. I know Toonami is still on but it's not regular Toonami so it feels like i'm taking a week off. It was different with movies cuz those were like fun little events but marathons make me feel down.

- most ToonamiGAF

FTFY

Middle of case 4 in some ways I like it better then Dangan 1 in other ways its way worse. I also didn't care much for Danganronpa 1.

What do you like, Bass?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh yes
oh yes
Toonami City's nakedist ladies
they're not even wearing a smile
nod suggestively
yes, six
count them
six gorgeous ladies just dying for your leers & cat calls
yowza yowza

I wish I could find the clip of what it is I'm referencing, because it's all I think of when I see that thread title

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man if I make a lttp danganronpa 2 thread I'm gonna get more heat then my lttp gone home thread
YOU DIDN'T LIKE GONE HOME!?!?!?!

.........because that's understandable, I wasn't a fan of it as well, despite the fact I acknowledge what the game was trying to go for, a more narrative driven game, but the setting wasn't really clicking for me (I was born '91 while this took place in '95, so it's not a relatable year for me) and there could've been better ways of telling the story, plus while the idea of slowly learning story elements from discovering notes & such in the house is an interesting concept, I wasn't fond of "let's make a crapton of stuff pick-up-able but do nothing interesting with 90% of the stuff". Not to mention if I had paid $20, I'd feel kind of disappointed, but a free PS+ game that took maybe 2 hours to do "everything" (i.e. get all the trophies), it was alright just to see what made the game get a following.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Danganronpa 1 is fine, here's a breakdown.

Pros:

Overall story is interesting.
Looks cool.
Neat Soundtrack.
Less dumb minigames.

Cons:

Brain dead cases.
Brain dead people.
The minigames don't suck.

Danganronpa 2

Pros:

Isn't Ultra Despair Girls
Slightly less braindead people and cases.
Interesting character design.
Court is more fun in general
Music is even better.

Cons:

The overall plot is terrible.
The new improved minigames suck.
The twist is unimaginably dumb and painfully obvious from very early on.
The game gets worse as it goes along while DR1 largely got better.

DR1>DR2>>>>Shitty anime>Ultra Despair Girls

Raxus

Do you like DR3 Man God? Seems most of the fans have been enjoying the anime there.

Heck this season in general has been pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom