• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My quick thoughts midway through case 4

Danganronpa 1

Pros

Fantastic ost

Great premise and set up/motivation

Clever major twist (mastermind)

Cons

Braindead cases (guessed the killer and how they did it almost instantly)

Bad gameplay in the court cases between terrible mini games and drunk controls for "difficulty"

Garbage explaintion/twist for why this is happening

Main cast is weak and not well developed for me to care when they start offing each other

So far in danganronpa 2

Pros

The first two cases are better mysteries then any of the cases in dangan 1

Neutral

The cast as a collective is stronger, but the duds are much bigger issues this time around

The pet minigame justifies all the walking around instead of quick travel, but you have to check every 5 minutes for poop

Streamlined freetime system so the longer survivors don't need like 9 visits to complete and earlier deaths don't cap at 3, but because everyone has a flat 5 some feel like they end when they're just starting

Negative

Music isn't as good

Core gameplay is still terrible and somehow worse

Bad pacing

Case 3 and so far case 4 are back to predictable and uninteresting (in the middle of case 4 so subject to change)

The background plot of the truth of whats happening is still awful accented by the character who constantly brings it up

Overall I want to like the danganronpa games more then I do, I love murder mystery games and point and click adventure games, as yall know I'm also a big anime fan. But when all the elements are combined in these everything we can to make you like us approach the end result is a frustrating, boring, and unrewarding experience. The series has so many baffling design choices that it hurts my mind why so many of them are called defining features.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just hope they either completely redo the mini-games or realize that half of them aren't fun & just scrap them because improved hangman's gambit was so damn frustrating especially when the game glitched & wouldn't let me use button controls so I had to use the touch screen which was even worse uuuuuggggghhhhhhh

Either way, DR was an amazing discovery for me back in 2014, especially since I saw the thread about the localization news & was wondering why people were so excited, then I heard the "Ace Attorney + Zero Escape + Persona" comparison and instantly wanted to try it out. So glad I was able to resist looking anything up for both games to go in fresh.

I'm very interested to see how DR V3 is going to be handled since it's not supposed to be tied to the previous games.

DR suffers from having a unforgivably awful overworld.
DR2 was slightly better since it wasn't first person & didn't feel as maze-like, but yes, I kind of hope they handle that better since you could warp, but then oh noes, you aren't taking steps for your virtual pet, which felt like it was defeating the purpose of having a warp system.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Neither game bothered me with their maps. DR 2 had nice map music. It was the least of their problems.

One Piece. 2 weeks from now. Stay up and watch it.

qCf8t46.gif

Neither game bothered me with their maps. DR 2 had nice map music. It was the least of their problems.

One Piece. 2 weeks from now. Stay up and watch it.

qCf8t46.gif

It only has really bothered me in chapter 4 of dangan 2 going up and down those stairs since afaik there is no quick pivot makes u turning a pain in the ass.

Raxus

First, fixed that for you.

Second, Maybe Toei isn't gonna let Super leave the country would suck if it just stayed as a Japanese only anime. but I doubt Toei is allergic to money that much.

The only reason I mentioned it is because I remember talk earlier about the english dub through the same source. Now the Blu-Rays are coming out with fixed animation I imagine Funi won't be far off dubbing the series (fingers crossed) but I don't expect another source to talk about a dub anytime soon.

In unrelated news, god damn Mob Psycho is purdy.

Seda

Huh, I actually was wondering about Super in Asia. No new info since being announced for "Mid-2016"?

This radio silence is fun.

Crocodile

LMAO @ the "What Pokemon GO, No Man's Sky and Destiny prove about us as human beings" thread. Some people really need to put down a controller and go out for a walk for a bit. Stan something that much and you're going to hurt yourself :p

Let me guess. Blazblue thread went into dub vs sub shit?

Once upon a time Blazblue fans had options. Now they don't. The terrorists won :(

I should find a better word than terrorists for that joke but I'm kind of blanking. Weebs doesn't feel appropriate either

Soulflarz

Banned
weebs works when you go sub elitist, I think?

General rule of thumb, normal people don't actually say every dub ever is complete trash, then when you throw bebop in the mix "that's the one exception, and even then, a lot of it is better in Japanese", because what even.

Especially when you're American and can't tell a difference in tone for japanese voices so english actually gives you a better perspective.

Seda

The thread wasn't that bad when I checked it earlier.

And it's still not bad? If anything, people supporting dubs are (perhaps rightfully) dog piling the 1-3 silly people who are vocally 'subs or gtfo'.

The last similar thread I checked was like this too. Usually just a fingerful of silly people causing a derail.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so how come king of fighters 14 isn't having people complaining about the fact that doesn't have a dub, huh.

semi-sarcastic

Line_HTX

Blazblue is a more story/character driven fighter, right?

Normally I don't care about story mode, even I don't care much about it in my favorite game, Tekken, but I have to give Blazblue their credit for putting together something to get lost in over hours and hours with your obligatory cheesy scenes.

I can't follow Guilty Gear at all, so I default back to hey, I like this character, what can they do in specific situations in matchups.

zulux21

That question isn't going any better on Chris Sabat's twitter.

Toei must be asking for a lot of stipulations for it to be taking this long.

it's most likely cartoon network/toonami holding it up (at least in NA)
they have no reason to rush to airing super.
they will likely just finish current kai
then buu kai
and then go into super.

the simple fact is classic DBZ still pulls in great ratings, thus there is no reason to rush to the new content.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it's most likely cartoon network/toonami holding it up (at least in NA)
they have no reason to rush to airing super.
they will likely just finish current kai
then buu kai
and then go into super.

the simple fact is classic DBZ still pulls in great ratings, thus there is no reason to rush to the new content.

Yup. Odds are Toei wants it on TV almost immediately and Funi/AS are holding it up due to Kai, Buy Kai, and the fact there's not a while lot there yet.

zulux21

Yup. Odds are Toei wants it on TV almost immediately and Funi/AS are holding it up due to Kai, Buy Kai, and the fact there's not a while lot there yet.

it's most likely not funimation unless the toonami deal is stupid good (like funimation makes 5 times more money from not releasing it right away)

they aren't getting money from dubs they have done over a year ago because they have to just sit on them. Funimation would no doubt prefer to get buu kai out so they can start selling the DVDs to bring in money from that and so they could release a nice full kai set for collectors to get more money from that.

funimation likely would have also, if given the choice, got streaming rights and would have done a broadcast dub with super as it would have really helped its streaming numbers. toonami likely only was willing to give the offer they did if funimation couldn't get streaming rights, as if toonami was willing to do a lesser deal for funimation to also have streaming rights then no doubt funimation would have done it.

Seda

Does Soul Eater manga actually have loose ends or is this a case of needy fans requiring a descriptive canonical explanation for absolutely every small thing and don't know how to deal with a small amount of interpretive wiggle-room.

Grexeno

Does Soul Eater mange actually have loose ends or is this a case of needy fans requiring a descriptive canonical explanation for absolutely every small thing and don't know how to deal with a small amount of interpretive wiggle-room.
I hear that Crona doesn't get a happy ending so burn it all down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom