• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
As someone who now plays melee- I don't really get how that meme even started. Either it started as a parody from the community and people who didn't know better started using it unironically, or new guys honestly thought this was close to competitive melee, kind of like how people thought it at the time of smash 4.
I only bring this up because the only two times we've had people so good that the meta was ruined was
-Ken, a marth main who was so good pre retirement no one could touch him
-M2K before Mango came along, because people truly believed his marth playstyle was so 'perfect' that it was the height of the meta.

Also Fox has an awful matchup vs quite a few characters on FD.

Just random thoughts.

edit: Quickly looking around, 4chan did it to make fun of people and then many actually...thought and still in some cases still think that's how competitive melee worked? Okay then.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As someone who now plays melee- I don't really get how that meme even started. Either it started as a parody from the community and people who didn't know better started using it unironically, or new guys honestly thought this was close to competitive melee, kind of like how people thought it at the time of smash 4.
I only bring this up because the only two times we've had people so good that the meta was ruined was
-M2K before Mango came along, because people truly believed his marth playstyle was so 'perfect' that it was the height of the meta.

Just random thoughts.

It's mainly a joke. It also started before people really had a handle on Melee. I remember hearing talk like that as early as 2002.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's mainly a joke. It also started before people really had a handle on Melee. I remember hearing talk like that as early as 2002.

In the meantime found a huge write up
It was a parody of a mediocre player that 4chan hated and it very quickly spread to the point where casual players truly believed it regardless of the fact no one who played melee did.
Which isn't that surprising, I remember when sm4sh came out and some people only wanted to play omega stages for being the only fair stages in the game, which...makes no sense.

I feel like the thread has been better(?)/quieter with 'weekday' stuff recently. One reason why post counts are lower.

I'm too busy to post as often as I used to. And add to the fact that I'm not much of a gamer as I used to be, so I can't engage much in the discussion on the last page.

Jarate

Banned
Im the meme-meister here so I shall explain

so, when Melee first started its competitive scene it had a ludicrpus amount of pushback from a lot of people who didnt think it was a competitive game at all, especially from mid 2000's FGC community who didnt see it as a teue fighting fame. So competitive melee already had a bad reputation already.

it also was mixed with how awful a lot of the Melee competitive fans were at the time. Most people play smash casually, and also, most people kind of bring it too socila gathering where it's played heavily among strangers. The issue arises when a competitive melee player shows up and would complain about there being items and the stages not being X because they were unbalanced. Of course, many are playing the series casually so they also started to hate these people.

In an attempt to make fun of Smash "tryhards" they came up with that joke and it spread throughout the internet, but especially in places like 4chan for a year or so before dieing out. You will continue too see the meme today, because I still experience competitive sm4sh players who will complain about items when I decide to get 8 player Sm4sh going (wtf) and the meme never got ocerused enough by the redditors and the normies long enough for it to lose it's funniness. It achieved a great standing among classic meme useage, and still continues to produce the lulz to this day.

Jarate

Banned
also, I havent been posting as much because ive been playing a lot of overwatch. I also havent posted much during the past 2 weeks of Toonami-ing.

We also lost a few people who would add abput 40-50 posts in the thread.

Maybe I should just turn into that Adam guy from poligaf and post thousands of times here

Regiruler

Just random thoughts.

edit: Quickly looking around, 4chan did it to make fun of people and then many actually...thought and still in some cases still think that's how competitive melee worked? Okay then.
It's still halfway true.

bigkrev

Yeah, i'm not doing much weekday posting anymore, and now have a job that means I have to work Sundays, so I can't stay up super late on Saturday. Which is something I have been ignoring lately because of social responsibilities and the fact that pretty much all my friends work M-F so Saturday is the night to hang out, lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just don't play as many games these days.

also, I havent been posting as much because ive been playing a lot of overwatch. I also havent posted much during the past 2 weeks of Toonami-ing.

Maybe I should just turn into that Adam guy from poligaf and post thousands of times here

Dear god, please don't turn into Adam. You wouldn't be able to handle his taste in mixed drinks, trust me on that one :lol

Mizerman

We would be dead ten times over.

Yeah most sunday's I'm working at 5am after working 8 hours on Saturday so I try to get whatever sleep I can. I was watching on dvr but then I fell behind and now I'm in the black hole.

I think the other problem is despite how exciting HxH and JJBA are on toonami I've seen them multiple times and if I can't catch them live with everyone i'm not engaged to catch up. Gundam ibo is the only completely new show for me.

Jarate

Banned
NIAqzZQ.gif

Seda

DRAGON BALL Z KAI ADULT SWIM 11:30 PM 1,269 0.6
ONE-PUNCH MAN ADULT SWIM 12:00 AM 1,149 0.6
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O. ADULT SWIM 12:30 AM 898 0.5
HUNTER X HUNTER ADULT SWIM 1:00 AM 901 0.5
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN ADULT SWIM 1:30 AM 833 0.4
ONE PIECE ADULT SWIM 2:00 AM 778 0.4

rip gundam

Moaradin

rip gundam

Gundam and HxH should swap spots tbh

That drop is pretty crazy

Jarate

Banned
Gundams big problems is that the past bunch of episodes havent had as much action and muscular men as before. Plebs who watch Toonami arent going to deal with a show with not enough muscular men taking off their shirts and not enough action.

Jarate

Banned
also, I think another thing that majorly hurts it is that the main character looks like he's 12, which a lot of western anime fans dont like in anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gundamn it, viewers..........but then again, it wasn't THAT great of an episode....

Also got God Eater 2, now I can dress up as Kirito & BECOME A GOD BEATER

Looks like September will begin with a Nintendo Direct.

No NX. 3DS only. Final Destination
Damn, 10 a.m. for me. I'll be sleeping. Guess I'll have to avoid Twitter & Neogaf so I can watch it as soon as I wake up. Though it'll be interesting to see just what Nintendo has left to show aside from Pokemon S&M and Ever Oasis. Maybe some surprise "HEY, IT'S AVAILABLE RIGHT AFTER THIS DIRECT" stuff?

zulux21

rip gundam

i'm sad that dbz kai reruns are beating out one punch man even if it is earlier in the day :(

Seda

I'd expect Gundam to rate poorly when episodes become more 'talky', regardless of quality (people have short attention spans). Personally, I was enjoying it more a few weeks back than what it has been recently.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't even remember gundam besides obvious death was obvious

It's still halfway true.

Nah, since the crowd that says plays 4. Melee probably has a ridiculous amount of marths nowadays because people watch an m2k combo video and make him their main as they start (even if falcon is a far better choice to learn your fundamentals according to people who know more about it than me)
I don't really know anyone who casually plays melee anymore, since 4 works infinitely better for that.

Regiruler

I don't even remember gundam besides obvious death was obvious

Nah, since the crowd that says plays 4. Melee probably has a ridiculous amount of marths nowadays because people watch an m2k combo video and make him their main as they start (even if falcon is a far better choice to learn your fundamentals according to people who know more about it than me)
I don't really know anyone who casually plays melee anymore, since 4 works infinitely better for that.
It's still no items and a selection of boring stages. So 1 and a half of the 3 items are true.

Admit defeat where you stand.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's still no items and a selection of boring stages. So 1 and a half of the 3 items are true.

Admit defeat where you stand.

No items, ye-

wait
no
old tourneys had items when the meme even became a thing -_-
Yes. Melee tournaments had items. It's why sometimes trash players won major tournaments :')

But...the stages aren't boring :3

I got a new 4k tv!

Is there any 4k anime?

I'll never understand this fad with 4K, it literally brings very little to nothing to the table since we've hit graphical peak with 1080p yet people want this as a new standard to everything.

Funny thing is whats out there for us isn't even real 4K, real 4K is "DCI 4K resolution" aka film and video production industry standard. what were getting is UHD-1 aka 2180p.

Guess we won't be satisfied until we hit 8K fulldome though. gotta have that 8192 x 8192 for my call of dutys son!!

Soulflarz

Banned
I got a new 4k tv!

Is there any 4k anime?

K you're like me
you have a 4k tv

and you have no idea why. We bought it because it was logic of "1080p 65 inch and 4k 65 inch is like a $700 diff but by the time a 4k tv is cheap enough to offset that we'll already want one. And who wants to redo tv setup with a flatscreen?"

I feel like the marketing for Final Fantasy XV might not be working, because I'm not watching the anime...and I didn't know Kingsglaive was a thing till just now...

Grexeno

We definitely do not start One Piece hinting during One-Punch Man discussion in this latest episode of the ToonamiGAF Podcast. No siree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom