• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

SAO makes me angry and it makes me laugh at how embarrassing it is, that's still more then BtB makes me feel.

Yeah I think I agree with this. BtB felt like nobody gave a shit anytime during its production - why should we?

Sword Art Online over Inuyasha Final Act?

Y'all need Jesus.

SAO is offensive but at least I felt something? When I wasn't angry at Final Act (fuck you Kohaku) I had no clue what was going on and it was hard for me to care. I dunno, I'm not sure that placement that controversial. 25th vs 27th place is splitting hairs anyway.

Pro has to be one of the most disappointing announcements of the year. 0 reason to buy one if you own the old model.

I did not wake up today expecting Nintendo to make the biggest announcement of the day :O

Did we do ratings?

Code:
Show		Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	11:30 PM	1,277			0.5
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	1,129			0.5
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	1,029			0.4
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		962			0.4
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	1:30 AM		880			0.4
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	2:00 AM		860			0.4
ONE-PUNCH MAN	ADULT SWIM	2:30 AM		740			0.3

Jarate

Banned
Did we do ratings?

Code:

ONE PAAAAAAANCH

Mizerman

Was it just me or did the PS4 Pro reveal slow down GAF a few hours ago?

Yep. The servers were acting funny for a bit.

Did we do ratings?

Code:

One Punch Ratings.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm gonna look more into it, but it seems like one of the better marathons we've had. DBZ on 12/19/15 had a bigger starting, but only had two episodes with over a million.

....interestingly, Parasyte from Thanksgiving week 2015 looks to be the best rated marathon since that started with 1.5 million & had 3 episodes over a million.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That lineup will probably be the best nu-Toonami has ever had.
DBZ
Jojo
Gundamn Orphans
HxH
Shippuden
One Piece, man
One Rerun Man

......save for Shippuden (& maybe Gundam due to the last month of episodes not being that great), I have to agree. It's possibly one of the best line-ups we've had in some time. Especially when we get Part 3.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now I just wonder what's gonna replace OPM as the rerun slot. I can't see IBO getting it, but considering there's not really any other shows ending soon, it's either that or "well let's dig up something that hasn't been on for quite some time that we still have the rights to"

Sword Art Online over Inuyasha Final Act?

Y'all need Jesus.

Final Act's pacing was horrendous and made the actual process of watching the show a complete chore that also removed pretty much every element of what was fun about the original. The leisurely adventure that relied on character interactions where you didn't actually care about the plot cannot physically exist in a show that is focused on shoving as much plot as possible in each episode.

Like, SAO was terrible but it was pretty watchable. Final Act felt like it improved my experience with SAOII, because SAOII didn't feel like it existed for the sole purpose of allowing someone at the animation studio to say "THERE! WE FINISHED IT!"

The back-to-back combo of unacceptable pacing that was Naruto Shippuden and InuYasha: The Final Act almost made us quit doing the podcast for a while because they were such a fucking pain to cover. I could watch SAO again to like laugh at it or whatever but I never want to sit through Final Act ever again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Final Act was pretty much "SO YOU THOUGHT THE ORIGINAL SHOW'S PACING WAS TOO SLOW? WELL WE'RE GONNA GO MACH 10 THEN!!"

Which is a shame because when I heard the pacing was much faster, I figured "well good, that should fix one of my main issues with the original", but nooppeee, it goes so fast, it feels like that Robot Chicken parody when the little girl is watching it & the dad becomes addicted.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Won't rank the rest but the bottom four is easily.

Akame Ga Kill!
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Beware the Batman.
Thundercats.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SAO was enjoyably bad because we couldn't help but laugh at what it did wrong & lead to a hilarious group watch at times.

Final Act was just annoyingly bad because it had an original series that built a fanbase early on & while I still dislike the original show overall, still had some decent moments early on before relying on "here's a town, oh noes a demon, we killed him, did he have a shard piece, let's move on". FA just did such a rush job and pretty much forgot most of what made fans enjoy the original.

Edit: I also accept the fact that Inuyasha was one of the bigger animes in the late '90s/early 2000s which helped introduce people to anime, particularly females, & won't deny the influence it's had. Similar to how I feel about DBZ.

Shows I've disliked the most toonami has aired

Sword Art Online
Beware the Bat
One Punch Man
Tenchi GXP
Michiko and Hatchin

Honorable mention to the new thundercats show that I didn't watch which would probably knocked out (ironically) one punch man since that show at least looks pretty and has great voice acting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'll never understand the intention of Beware the Batman.
"Let's do a Batman cartoon where he fights none of his popular villains. Let's do obscure as fuck ones like Magpie and Anarky and a really toned-down Professor Pyg"
"Sooo people aren't liking the show. Put in real villains"
"Fiiiine, here's Ra's al Ghul, Deathstroke, Killer Croc, and a really dickish Harvey Dent. He does turn into Two-Face, but we're going to save that reveal for the Season 2 we're totally going to have because we're a Batman cartoon and we last a long ti- WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE'RE CANCELLED?"

I do think there's some merit in tackling Batman's lesser-known villains, even if Beware didn't do it particularly well.

Like, as soon as I saw Harvey Dent and Carmine Falcone in Telltale's Batman game I was out because man am I tired of that shit.

Mizerman

I'll never understand the intention of Beware the Batman.
"Let's do a Batman cartoon where he fights none of his popular villains. Let's do obscure as fuck ones like Magpie and Anarky and a really toned-down Professor Pyg"
"Sooo people aren't liking the show. Put in real villains"
"Fiiiine, here's Ra's al Ghul, Deathstroke, Killer Croc, and a really dickish Harvey Dent. He does turn into Two-Face, but we're going to save that reveal for the Season 2 we're totally going to have because we're a Batman cartoon and we last a long ti- WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE'RE CANCELLED?"

Eh. I kinda liked the fact that they used lesser known villains in the show because they could be introduced to people who don't know them very well and hopefully gain some mainstream popularity. The actual problem was that BtB was boring as hell.

BatDan

I do think there's some merit in tackling Batman's lesser-known villains, even if Beware didn't do it particularly well.

Like, as soon as I saw Harvey Dent and Carmine Falcone in Telltale's Batman game I was out because man am I tired of that shit.

Eh. I kinda liked the fact that they used lesser known villains in the show because they could be introduced to people who don't know them very well and hopefully gain some mainstream popularity. The actual problem was that BtB was boring as hell.

I mean yeah, introducing obscure characters would be a smart move when done well. The Guardians of the Galaxy really took off after their movie (often placed alongside the Avengers and Spider-Man in official artwork).

But as noted, it needs to be done well. Beware wasn't done well, it was boring and lifeless with bland 3D animation. Gotham barely felt like a city. Gotham is just as much of a character as Batman, and we got nothing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
B:TAS is filled with obscure villains. Hell most of the first season are completely made up or very old mobsters.

BatDan

B:TAS is filled with obscure villains. Hell most of the first season are completely made up or very old mobsters.

True. People forget but prior to TAS, Mr. Freeze was a complete joke. He only had a couple comic appearances and was mostly known for looking like a guy in a shitty spacesuit on the Adam West TV show, nothing more than a Captain Cold knock-off. TAS completely reinvented him, making him a tragic villain that one could almost sympathize with.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
True. People forget but prior to TAS, Mr. Freeze was a complete joke. He only had a couple comic appearances and was mostly known for looking like a guy in a shitty spacesuit on the Adam West TV show, nothing more than a Captain Cold knock-off. TAS completely reinvented him, making him a tragic villain that one could almost sympathize with.

Clay Face as well. Not to mention inventing the most popular batman character of the past thirty years in Quinn.

There was also Clock King, Mad Hatter, and a dozen more over the years.

Jarate

Banned
Batman TAS is also literally the best western animated series of all time, and I personally believe is pretty much leaps and bounds better then even the 2nd tier of western animation in Avatar, Justice League, and other series.

I wish modern artists would go back to that style of animation instead of our modern fondness with anime-esque reboots.

Didn't Beware the Batman get edited or something thanks to the Aurora shooting in Colorado?

I remember reading about it before it aired or something along those lines.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NARUTO EPISODE FIFTY-NINE: The Final Rounds, Rush to the Battle Arena!

The only thing I remember about this episode is that it sucks compared to the last one! Naruto is standing outside of the battle arena the night before. Goes to have ramen...alone. The old man gives his the ultra deluxe Ramen for free! Ino-Shika-Cho's dad's are out drinking! Series should be about them. Dad's have it rough. Shikamaru came to drag his deadbeat dad home. His dad calls him a drag. The festival is a drag. Drag is said about seven times. Best part of the episode. Naruto still has no friends. Kankuro is working on his puppets. Temari is polishing her fan, no, that's not a euphemism. Gaara notes that tomorrow is a full moon. Naruto has his awesome sleeping cap on.

Neiji and Ten-Ten, YES MY GIRL TWENTY, were practicing ALL. NIGHT. LONG. Shino was training with Hinata...and Naruto didn't sleep a wink. He's got Neiji to fight. Lee thinks Neiji is the toughest ninja in the competition and wanted to fight him. Lots of nobles in oxen drawn carriages arrive. Naruto is walking to the competition...alone. Some randos talk about Neiji in the first round. Naruto finally runs into someone who knows/likes him...It's Hinata! He came to the training field from Kakashi's test. They talk about her cousin.

She thinks he can win!

She now can like herself a little after getting cheered on by Naruto during the prelims. All thanks to your main characterness. Naruto may look strong to her, but he thinks he is a colossal fuck up. She thinks he's more of a proud failure. She's got it bad for him...and he's legit shook by her words. He's one hundred percent better now. Naruto always thought something about Hinata. She wants to know. She NEEDS to know. Gloomy, timid, always terrified and basically completely weird. But you know what? He likes people like you!

yaasMT5.gif

She is beyond legit shook. The shookest. Kiba shows up and has no idea why she is so shook. Konohamaru is going to show Naruto a shortcut to the battle arena. It's been covered up. He's got another way.

Excitement!

Naruto you can just ninja across roof tops. Konohamaru wants him to take a video game sewer level instead. Sewer levels are never short. The slide takes him to the hot spring in the nearby resort town. They're going to steal a bull instead. What symbol is on Naruto's back? A red spiral? Oh my.

No bull.

Hijinks ensue. The bull bucks him off, chases him, gets his friends and stampedes him. Sasuke and Naruto are LATE. Naruto is doing a one man running of the bulls. Shadow Clones changes those odds. They scatter...but then all meet up...with more bulls. He's made it...but gets stuck in the door. Shikamaru helps his buddy up. Doesn't believe Naruto about the bulls though because they didn't come in. Dozu and Sasuke are missing. New proctor too, it's JYB!

Let the battle begin!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm going to cover everything TOONAMI (reboot) didn't. Aiming for one a day and restarted it last week...only to be called away from my house Friday-Monday and not having the energy to finish when I got home that night. Should go smoothly the rest of this month though. After this I have one other project I promised long long ago...

BBboy20

https://youtu.be/4xgDpesd428?t=11s
Until Symbionic Titan came along, Batman: The Animated Series was left uncontested in regards of a children's cartoon show that pushed the envelope in an fully earnest way. I noticed the show Gotham puts quite a bit of effort into the city's look but the art deco direction this show had practically made such a large den of sin look like a monolith of a unfathomable abyss and you an sometimes feel it when looking at it (hearing orchestrated music helps as much). It seaped into the title cards, pacing, how episodes begin and/or end, the backgrounds, etc, etc. Man, I feel like this 1992 show raised the bar so much that no one has been wanting or been able to challenge it entirely even today. Timm, Dini, and co. were just simply on some level that is beyond the next one back then.

And then Batman & Robin tore it all down. :p

Batman TAS is also literally the best western animated series of all time, and I personally believe is pretty much leaps and bounds better then even the 2nd tier of western animation in Avatar, Justice League, and other series.

I wish modern artists would go back to that style of animation instead of our modern fondness with anime-esque reboots.

but Young Justice tho

Didn't Beware the Batman get edited or something thanks to the Aurora shooting in Colorado?

I remember reading about it before it aired or something along those lines.

if i recall i think the guns originally looked more realistic and didn't shoot lasers

Moaradin

DBZ
Jojo
Gundamn Orphans
HxH
Shippuden
One Piece, man
One Rerun Man

......save for Shippuden (& maybe Gundam due to the last month of episodes not being that great), I have to agree. It's possibly one of the best line-ups we've had in some time. Especially when we get Part 3.

This might be the best line-up in Toonami history. Even Shippuden will be decent around that point.

Watching SAO brought us closer together. The pages that were half table flipping gifs half post just saying "fuck this show" were a sight to behold.

Also, Young Justice is a surprisingly good show (despite having a terrible Joker), that should have gotten more seasons.

Mizerman

Watching SAO brought us closer together. The pages that were half table flipping gifs half post just saying "fuck this show" were a sight to behold.

Also, Young Justice is a surprisingly good show (despite having a terrible Joker), that should have gotten more seasons.

The curse of Greg Weisman. Behind good and decent shows, but they do not last too long.

And I think there's some merit in InuYasha TFA trying to cram every major scene from the manga into it's limited 26 episode run as opposed to just making up an ending that could have easily been much better paced.

And I think there's some merit in InuYasha TFA trying to cram every major scene from the manga into it's limited 26 episode run as opposed to just making up an ending that could have easily been much better paced.

Agreed, AGK for all of its faults did at least did a Gecko Ending right, stayed as close as possible to source material but still did their own version of the ending the author had planned. the AGK manga is turning out the same way that the anime has ended, don't see why Inuyasha couldn't have done that.

I'm going to cover everything TOONAMI (reboot) didn't. Aiming for one a day and restarted it last week...only to be called away from my house Friday-Monday and not having the energy to finish when I got home that night. Should go smoothly the rest of this month though. After this I have one other project I promised long long ago...

You're gonna slog through Filler Hell Mk. 1 too? damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom