• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember finding Radiant Dawn for $10 at a flea market a year or so ago.

..........I then made a $40-$50 profit selling it on Neogaf because I knew I'd never get around to actually playing it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RD...was always kinda difficult to find.

My local Best Buy had copies of POR for 5-8 bucks for years and years afterwards, up through RD's launch!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm frankly amazed we didn't get a digital release of Radiant Dawn to go along with the four other FE games released this year.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I bought the SAVE collection of Beck without realizing I already own a better print, the Viridian collection.

>_>

I used to be pretty careful about that... then I sent a few years buying basically NO DVDs thanks to downloadable titles and stuff. Now I don't remember where ever single series was SUPPOSE to end, heh.

Jin-Roh was a calculated 2nd purchase though: saw a different edition for like 3 bucks, figured I might as well slap it with my 2002 LE from all those years ago...

First series: 70 Percent high school comedy. 30 Percent Military Mecha Drama. Lewdness (1-10) 3.

Second series: 130 Percent high school comedy. One of the best things ever made. Lewdness (1-10) 5.

Third series: 30 Percent high school comedy. 70 Percent Military Mecha Drama. If the first two series are PG and PG 13, TSR is a hard R. It's basically the Hellsing Ultimate of Light Novel High School Military Mecha shows. It's also much more compelling than the first season. Better writing, real emotion, much better animation. The only reason it's not the best season is that the second season, Fumoffu, is literally perfect.

Thanks for the insight. I have... no idea how I've gone this long without seeing it all. I blame Anime Network and Newtype DVDs, which at least gave me an odd taste here or there... I think it'll stick with like... Getbackers as an anime I started via On-demand, and never finished there, haha. And kinda Cromartie HS.

Seda

Related: I've been saving up credit to by an expensive used copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends for GCN. They are about $80.

As soon as I buy a copy, it'll of course show up on Steam or PS4 or VC or somesuch. And you will thank me.

Jarate

Banned
Related: I've been saving up credit to by an expensive used copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends for GCN. They are about $80.

As soon as I buy a copy, it'll of course show up on Steam or PS4 or VC or somesuch. And you will thank me.

The worst part about that game is that Dolphin couldn't run it for the longest time, so even if you bought it, you wouldnt even be able to emulate it well :|

I have a really hard time going back to non-hd games. They look so badon modern TV's.

Also, play Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8, it's amazing

Jarate

Banned

The worst part about that game is that Dolphin couldn't run it for the longest time, so even if you bought it, you wouldnt even be able to emulate it well :|

I have a really hard time going back to non-hd games. They look so badon modern TV's.

Games ive been right on for games that immediately went up in price
King of Dragons
EVO
Deadly Premonition sealed
Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8 is gonna go up in price one day

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Good thing Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door is still relatively cheap.

I got it recently, and it's still of the best RPGs of all time.
I still have my early launch copy & plan on keeping it. Think I might've played through that & the original 3 times.

I still can't believe it didn't get the HD treatment like the other Dreamcast & Saturn games Sega did, but I guess it's because RPGs are much bigger/longer, so it'd be harder to upscale everything in comparison to, say, Space Channel 5 or Daytona.

Yeah I was able to get a used copy back in the late era of the GC for like $30 very fortunate.

Crocodile

Because I don't find OPM funny, the repetitive nature of its arcs becomes even more apparent. You can over simplify everything into "good guy wins" but that does a discredit to all the other events in a story that lead up to the heroes winning. In OPM all the actions of everyone besides Saitama are completely pointless, they aren't stalling for time for Goku/mc/Saitama to appear, they're just doing pointless well drawn/animated generic shonen things. In most other (good) shonen series, the way the mc wins, the actions the heroes and villains take that enables that victory to come about is what is interesting not the end result, that's just the payoff for all the drama. I can get that some people find OPM funny the same way I can get some people find Family Guy funny, but in both series I'm always left going "...oh thats the """joke"""..." Or "so they're gonna do a .... Yep they did the joke I expected....yawn". Even if the humor was generally stronger I'm not sure if it would help to fix my issues with the actual story itself which for a gag series OPM cares about its overall plot far more then usual which I find is also a detriment to the series.

When I say "the good guy wins" in the end, I'm highlighting how generally irrelevant the outcome of a conflict tends to be (in OPM's case its Saitama punches the villain real good). I'm saying the lead up is important - I'm agreeing with you. I just think the lead up or what happens during the conflict is funny or interesting in most cases for OPM. Speaking to the arc that's about to happen
Sonic vs. Seaking, Genos vs. Seaking and Mumen Rider vs. Seaking are all good fights to read/watch for different reasons even if they all end up with the Seaking winning in every instance
. Or even moving forward beyond that,
the fight between Saitama and Boros was absolutely amazing and a joy to watch/read multiple times even if the outcome was clear (and the outcome still would have been clear even if Saitama had to struggle to win that fight)
. I also don't see how "trying to take on the big bad but failing" is meaningfully different than "buying time for the main protagonist to show up" which you seem fine with. I will also note that a series of characters fighting as a team is not the same as a series of characters fighting one-on-one vs the same foe in succession. Again, I feel the issue is you're are criticizing OPM for doing things or failing to do things that other shonen do or don't do but are seemingly willing to give a pass to them. I just fundamentally disagree that a "struggle" is required for a good conflict, though it helps, and OPM has many of those sorts of encounters anyway.

Mizerman

5d9.gif

Just needed a flimsy at best excuse to post this.

Soulflarz

Banned
Trails in the Sky just isn't really my thing (I stopped halfway through SC, need to get back to it) but it's easy to see the writing and world-building is tops in the genre.

Adding to this for newcomers.

If the gameplay bores you, expect to rave about the story but expect to actually hate playing it. I know FC was awful for me and SC was passable. Really, FC is only redeemed for me by the amazing ending leading into a great second story, but still, you should keep this in mind if you touch the series.

Adding to this for newcomers.

If the gameplay bores you, expect to rave about the story but expect to actually hate playing it. I know FC was awful for me and SC was passable. Really, FC is only redeemed for me by the amazing ending leading into a great second story, but still, you should keep this in mind if you touch the series.

Am I weird for actually liking the game play in Trails in the Sky?

I missed an interesting OPM discussion.
I'll just add my two cents which Bass and Croc already brought up.

99 percent of the time, the audience does not want to see the good guys lose.
However, no one wants to see the good guys win all the time. Or lose all the time.
There needs to be a healthy balance that keeps things interesting.

The outcome doesn't matter if the execution and buildup to the fight makes sense and fits the narrative the fight itself was trying to make.

BBboy20

First series: 70 Percent high school comedy. 30 Percent Military Mecha Drama. Lewdness (1-10) 3.

Second series: 130 Percent high school comedy. One of the best things ever made. Lewdness (1-10) 5.

Third series: 30 Percent high school comedy. 70 Percent Military Mecha Drama. If the first two series are PG and PG 13, TSR is a hard R. It's basically the Hellsing Ultimate of Light Novel High School Military Mecha shows. It's also much more compelling than the first season. Better writing, real emotion, much better animation. The only reason it's not the best season is that the second season, Fumoffu, is literally perfect.
Which is funny because apparently teh same director who did that did TSR.

dtl does

rest his soul
Surprised he didn't get a shout out or reference this week's watching.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only recent RPG I can think of that's well known but will get you funny looks if you say you actually liked its gameplay is NNK.

Possibly Yo Kai Watch but NNK is a bit more popular in the west.

kXn5COn.png

the Showdown cometh

in case you all forgot, the Toonami Showdown is the Toonami Show Rundown ranking a bunch of the shows in order of quality. the 2012 episode is here, and the ranking looked something like this so far:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. FMA Brotherhood
3. Sym-Bionic Titan
4. Ghost in the Shell
5. InuYasha
6. Eureka Seven
7. Naruto
8. Deadman Wonderland
9. Samurai 7
10. Casshern Sins
11. Bleach
12. Thundercats
13. Tenchi Muyo GXP

I had a bit of an editing setback where the data got corrupted, hence the delay of over two weeks. This will be the second of three episodes.

It should be up late tonight/in the morning

zulux21

I can't wait for them to announce more details about the confirmed fourth series.

from what I hear the third series is tame compared to the stuff covered in the rest of the novels, and that there is a good chance the new series animates the rest... so should be a great ride.

Raxus

Excuse my ignorance but Fumoffu is Full Metal Panic! or a completely separate anime? If the latter I have seen neither.

On a seperate note, JoJo and Mob Psycho are neck and neck for best anime of the year so far and that is saying something for a strong year.

Excuse my ignorance but Fumoffu is Full Metal Panic! or a completely separate anime. If the latter I have seen neither.

On a seperate note, JoJo and Mob Psycho are neck and neck for best anime of the year so far and that is saying something for a strong year.

Fumoffu is basically a parody spin off of Fullmetal Panic dropping the mecha action stuff for pure comedic hijinx

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fumoffu is basically a parody spin off of Fullmetal Panic dropping the mecha action stuff for pure comedic hijinx

Actually it's part of the cannon. It's just based off a series of short stories that didn't fit into their own novels, not parody at all. I think there's actually enough material left for them to do another season if they wanted.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They ratchet up the personality of the main cast in Fumoffu but not to the point where they are behaving abnormally. It's a great tightrope walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom