• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
2q4QkFfl.jpg

Six Days.

789shadow

Banned
What happened?
Have tickets to the Pokemon concert in DC on Friday. My mom was supposed to come get me on Thursday night. But now she's stuck in Pennsylvania because some random fucking asshole took her boyfriend's motorcycle out from under him, and now he's in the ICU.

Fuck you random asshole biker.

Have tickets to the Pokemon concert in DC on Friday. My mom was supposed to come get me on Thursday night. But now she's stuck in Pennsylvania because some random fucking asshole took her boyfriend's motorcycle out from under him, and now he's in the ICU.

Fuck you random asshole biker.
Can you use Uber or something or is it too far?
Otherwise I'd suggest just selling the tickets for as much as you can.

789shadow

Banned
Can you use Uber or something or is it too far?
I'm in Blacksburg. It's about a 4-5 hour drive. And then I'd have to use taxis to get anywhere.

I can't use Uber because I am the only person in the world without a smartphone.

EDIT: And I can't sell the tickets because they're also in DC

I don't think it was entirely problematic (perhaps slightly though) because nothing about it contradicts any aspects we've seen of her. Loneliness is not an uncommon sentiment in her position, as a fictional character or even if she was a real person, and even if she was a bit depressed and prone to drunkenness she still retained her cynicism and wits for most of the episode. It was certainly cliche though. I do agree we do need at least one more example of Ninja Scarlet before the show is over. She's been underused in general and I think I would have been legit annoyed if she was put into a position in which she would be reasonably able to defense herself given what we've seen of her already and she wasn't allowed to.

I did appreciate that though Honey still remains a mostly superficial character we did to get to know more about her. Seeing her kickass later in the episode and manipulating Dr. Gel (not that it was hard) was AWESOME :)

i dunno, maybe this is magnified by the fact that most of the women in Space Dandy are either children or work at Boobies, but there's something about turning Scarlet into a character pining for a man that doesn't sit right with me. but you're right, it wasn't completely inconsistent with her character or anything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
She's only shown sober and pining for a man very briefly in that episode, basically right after Dandy shows up on the cloud. The rest of the time she's stumbly bumbly drunk coming out of the function hall and after getting shitfaced with Meow.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who are new to Gurren Lagann, just to give you an indication of what you're in store for, the "Row Row Fight the Powah" (
it's "RAW! RAW!" dammit!
) phrase comes from a song on the soundtrack titled, and I quote:

"Rap is the Soul of a Man! Perk Up Your Earholes and Listen REAL Close to the Theme of Lord Kamina, the Man of Raging Billows Who Believes in Himself and Points to Heaven!!"

I think that really sums it up pretty well.

Gorillaz

Its just the fact we've only seen her as an authority figure for all these episodes so seeing her with her "work face" gone just felt different

I liked it a bit more down to earth

Edit: talking bout Scarlet from Dandy

Soulflarz

Banned
So i finished Go! Go! Nippon!
What

For those of you who are new to Gurren Lagann, just to give you an indication of what you're in store for, the "Row Row Fight the Powah" (
it's "RAW! RAW!" dammit!

"Rap is the Soul of a Man! Perk Up Your Earholes and Listen REAL Close to the Theme of Lord Kamina, the Man of Raging Billows Who Believes in Himself and Points to Heaven!!"

Also yeah i love that song
Also Liberta Me From Hell when its the good parts.
ALSO NO ITS ROW ROW

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This image is appropriate now that we're switching from Blue Exorcist to Gurren Lagann. (Warning: really lewd)
If only I could experience a valentine's day like that...*emoDandy.jpeg*

it's "RAW! RAW!" dammit!

Fun fact, the OST version makes the title even LONGER by adding "(Short Start Edit)" to the end of it. & it's SO long that Windows Explorer stops at "(Short " to the point they had to abbreviate it to "(SSE)". Also, another translation of the title ("Rappu ha Otoko no Tamashii da! Muri wo Tōshite Dōri wo Kettobasu! Ore-tachi Dai-Guren-dan no Tēma wo Mimi no Ana Kappojite Yo~ku Kikiyagare!!") is "Rap is a Man's Soul! We Kick Reason to the Curb to Make the Impossible Possible! Open up Your Ears and Listen to Our Team Dai-Gurren Theme!!"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If only I could experience a valentine's day like that...*emoDandy.jpeg*

Fun fact, the OST version makes the title even LONGER by adding "(Short Start Edit)" to the end of it. & it's SO long that Windows Explorer stops at "(Short " to the point they had to abbreviate it to "(SSE)". Also, another translation of the title ("Rappu ha Otoko no Tamashii da! Muri wo Tōshite Dōri wo Kettobasu! Ore-tachi Dai-Guren-dan no Tēma wo Mimi no Ana Kappojite Yo~ku Kikiyagare!!") is "Rap is a Man's Soul! We Kick Reason to the Curb to Make the Impossible Possible! Open up Your Ears and Listen to Our Team Dai-Gurren Theme!!"
That's actually a different track entirely. There are 3 different "Rap is the Soul of a Man!" tracks on the OST. (Not counting "'Libera Me' from Hell.")

Gorillaz

I'm ashamed to admit that the "rap" if you can even call it that, in Don't Lose Your Way, grew on me. Just as a background hook, I don't need to hear any verses.

ckohler

I'm ashamed to admit that the "rap" if you can even call it that, in Don't Lose Your Way, grew on me. Just as a background hook, I don't need to hear any verses.
I'll shamefully agree. Really, both soundtracks to TTGL and KLK are great and have a lot of spirit. Fighting spirit.

BBboy20

I'd say there needs to be a Gurren Lagann and Wonderful 101 mashup, but I think the amount of hype that would generate would destroy the universe.
Platinum Games and Trigger Studio...if dreams can ever come true.

Steve Blum tweeted me that he has not voiced Space Dandy so who ever did the fly teacher and mean fisherman, you have a damn good Blum voice.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just want to mention I am sick of people saying "Why don't the Avengers show up" when talking about the recent Marvel movies.
Because it would be an anti-climax! The Avengers are only brought together for threats too big for 1-3 people to contain.

I just want to mention I am sick of people saying "Why don't the Avengers show up" when talking about the recent Marvel movies.
Because it would be an anti-climax! The Avengers are only brought together for threats too big for 1-3 people to contain.

Yeah why didn't the Avengers show up in Guardians of the Galaxy?
Y8reiVX.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah why didn't the Avengers show up in Guardians of the Galaxy?
Y8reiVX.jpg

That's the exception.
I'm more talking about Iron Man 3, Thor The Dark World and Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Even though they handled those crises on their own.

Why didn't the Avengers show up to save Metropolis from Zod and Superman?

I've seen people that want Batman in the next Avengers movie. Some are beyond hope.

Gorillaz

it might end up a problem going forward especially if almost everyone is in America.

That's the exception.
I'm more talking about Iron Man 3, Thor The Dark World and Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Even though they handled those crises on their own.

I've seen people that want Batman in the next Avengers movie. Some are beyond hope.

Generally I agree with you, the only time I really had a problem was with Hawkeye in Winter Soldier. I get that they had a bigger part for him, then it shrunk, then they had a line to explain why he wasn't there, and then they just said **** it... but they should have kept the line that said "he's on a covert mission and can't be reached" or SOMETHING. That's really the only time I had a problem with a hero being a no show in the marvel film series.

Gorillaz

The 3rd OVA for AoT is "out" according to the OT thread.

I will say this, manga spoilers wise,
they seem to be trying to 'retcon' Historia Reiss/krista and trying to remind people who don't know much about the manga that she is actually a person. Since they literally only showed her in that scene where she got the bread for sasha in episode 3. Might as well plant seeds now since she becomes part of the plot later I guess....

Sidenote, I still feel like this manga/show is being done on the fly, I really do think they meant to end this alot sooner then expected, probably with what the manga writer said in the beginning about wanting to basically kill everything and everyone off but the series is too big now so now they are stretching it as far as they can. Or that was the jist of it.

Crocodile

Rewriting your story because you're afraid it might piss off the large fanbase you recently acquired is not only cowardly (assuming it isn't the result of publisher pressure) but also guaranteed to turn your series (at the very least the ending) into complete shit.

Gorillaz

I think AoT is around the halfway point now.

toonami viewing wise or manga wise? they are created too many subplots for them to be halfway done at this point

I mean didn't someone here or on Gaf say it's been outselling One Piece Manga? They are going to milk the shit out of this, friend

So, Blue Exorcist.

Its problems were pretty apparent from the beginning. The first episode consisted mostly of Rin working in a store; the plot didn't truly advance until the very end of the first episode and into the second episode, so it was clearly content to stall with comedy rather than tell a story. And even when things got going, we were saddled with this typical "I want to avenge my ______ with my unique _____ powers" storyline. However, its strengths were apparent, too: the show was funny, and its art was quite good with interesting demon designs and fluid animation. Or in other words, Blue Exorcist's strengths had absolutely nothing to do with its intention to be a shonen series that tells a quality story.

Then further disappointment set in as, after he declared he was going to "beat the sh*t out of Satan", Rin was handed a school uniform. Cue the assembly of the most boring cast I've ever encountered in a shonen, a series of characters who feel more like they belong in standalone episodes never to be seen again after their weekly problems are solved: a moeblob, a tsundere, a rival, nerdy Krillin, that pink-haired kid, Yoko from Gurren Lagann, and a cardboard cutout with a bunch of moles on his face. The "kill Satan" storyline ground to a halt for average high school hijinks that, outside of the contest in the woods, never felt unique in the way Exorcist School probably should.

But with that being said, the show was still funny throughout and what fight scenes it had were of decent quality due to the art. And with how by-the-numbers the plot had been, I couldn't help but wonder if the show was better off as a slice-of-lifeish comedy than a story-driven shonen. Now, there's no telling where the manga's author would have taken things since this anime was greenlit before it had a reasonable number of chapters to work with, but when the show entered "filler" and it went back to focusing on the plot, it fell apart. Stupidity ran rampant as the kids banded together to save Rin's life and then promptly gave him the cold shoulder. The distrust angle they tried to play up can work on paper, but the execution left it incredibly unconvincing. Then the plot hit fast-forward as it tossed around new concepts and characters left and right before the absolute climax of nonsense: it tried to make Satan into a sympathetic character. Satan, whose voice actor is doing an impression of Mark Hamill's Joker, who as a character was introduced by killing people Rin had known his whole life, and whose death was a central motivation for at least four separate characters. You need more than fifteen minutes of half-baked romance to completely reverse perception of this guy, and then the show chose to portray him as a villain anyway with random asides still trying to garner sympathy.

Blue Exorcist starts out like shonen from a can; it's absolutely nothing special, and half of what's notable about the anime comes from its production values instead of its storytelling. But a little after the halfway point, the whole thing goes spinning off the rails into something spectacularly stupid and ends up in the running for one of the single worst endings on Toonami. Is it worse than SAO's ending? No. Is it worse than Soul Eater's? If it's not, it's certainly close.

Moaradin

toonami viewing wise or manga wise? they are created too many subplots for them to be halfway done at this point

I mean didn't someone here or on Gaf say it's been outselling One Piece Manga? They are going to milk the shit out of this, friend

The manga but I'm not completely sure if it's true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom