• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Saw this on imgur:

4NaCjLe.gif

Looked through the comments:

CamelSpotter said:
My saturday night typically involves getting drunk to toonami.

He must have watched SAO and Blue Exorcist with us.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
oh shit i forgot about that.

but i dunno, i don't think it actually reached much more of a low than the rest of the other episodes; Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater choked, and SAO was outright offensive

The other endings have something worse than a gangrape+an underaged arranged marriage?

The manga but I'm not completely sure if it's true or not.

i believe Attack on Titan outsold One Piece when you add up all its volumes, but One Piece had the highest individual volume sales. so take that for what you will (with how much One Piece sells in Japan i'm inclined to think everyone already pretty much owns the prior volumes already)

The other endings have something worse than a gangrape+an underaged arranged marriage?

it's weird, but in the context of that show it doesn't even really feel offensive. it's just mind-numbing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't say I liked how BE ended but it wasn't on the level of the others listed. I did enjoy parts of the episode and the episodes before it.

The 3rd OVA for AoT is "out" according to the OT thread.

I will say this, manga spoilers wise,
they seem to be trying to 'retcon' Historia Reiss/krista and trying to remind people who don't know much about the manga that she is actually a person. Since they literally only showed her in that scene where she got the bread for sasha in episode 3. Might as well plant seeds now since she becomes part of the plot later I guess....

Ehh her character didn't really have much of a role until after where the anime stopped anyways, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Rewriting your story because you're afraid it might piss off the large fanbase you recently acquired is not only cowardly (assuming it isn't the result of publisher pressure) but also guaranteed to turn your series (at the very least the ending) into complete shit.

The author already confirmed he changed the ending based upon how popular the series became.Can really go either way on that, on the one hand as you write a story it's natural that your thoughts are going to change and as characters/the world evolve an author shouldn't feel compelled to stick with their original idea if the story moves away from it. On the other hand, changing your ending because of what fans want or don't want isn't any better.

Heck I don't even really have a problem with the author thinking the story would be shorter then it ended up being, Oda thought One Piece would be finished in about 5 years and I really can't say that was a mistake. The only problem AoT has is that the anime is so poorly paced, it's been 12 episodes and we've only really had 6-7 episodes worth of content and it shows.

I think AoT is around the halfway point now.

Honestly I'm not really sure, there are SO many mysteries and plot lines I'd say at best we're at the 30-40% range of the story.

I can't say I liked how BE ended but it wasn't on the level of the others listed. I did enjoy parts of the episode and the episodes before it.

Soul Eater had further to fall in quality, but in general the friendship punch is just INCREDIBLY disappointing. Blue Exorcist trying to portray Satan as a sympathetic character, change its mind, and then still do so sporadically is outright stupid.

Soulflarz

Banned
I think its impossible to say how far AoT is atm. Until we get to to (not really a spoiler since people openly said it doesnt happen in the anime/manga earlier in this thread weeks back, but i guess avoid if you dont want to know what doesnt happen)
the basement
i dont think we have any clue. The writer could do some BS and expand for a long time, or "hey look wrap up plot time" and finish really quickly.

edit: i screwed up the spoiler tags. how fitting for my not spoiler spoiler

Raxus

Same here. I finished watching all the episodes I missed last night and I was going to do my usual Toonami write up and Rankings but I wanted to do a special closing thoughts for Blue Exorcist.

I see people are getting into the Gurren Lagann mood. Good.

Just as a warning, people that aren't into over the top stuff will not like it. Of course, you're watching toonami, so that probably shouldn't be a problem.

For people that do like over the top stuff, it's an inspiring tale of progress and reaching for the heavens, whether to follow your dreams or just to take on the universe. It's essentially the reason I lost over 80 lbs, really thought about my future, and got a 90 on this one epistemology test I was stressing over back in college.

BBboy20

Just as a warning, people that aren't into over the top stuff will not like it. Of course, you're watching toonami, so that probably shouldn't be a problem.

For people that do like over the top stuff, it's an inspiring tale of progress and reaching for the heavens, whether to follow your dreams or just to take on the universe. It's essentially the reason I lost over 80 lbs, really thought about my future, and got a 90 on this one epistemology test I was stressing over back in college.
Ah, I remember your story.

Soulflarz

Banned

You believed in the cosmicblizzard that believed in you :')

Raxus

A lot of people in this thread seem to not have seen TTGL before. I'm kind of surprised honestly. Y'all in for a treat :)

Yep, should be fun. Aside from premiere hype I am going to keep my lips sealed about most of the series. I hope everyone has a lot of ROW ROW.

ckohler

Here are my reviews for last night along with a choice comment from each episode. Enjoy! :)

Attack on Titan - Aside from Eren being kinda dumb about clearly obvious things happening around him and the ridiculous concept of “Wall Cultists,” I enjoyed this episode. Levi might have gone a little overboard but I like that they made up so quickly afterwards rather than dragging out some resentment like most shonen would do. The crazy scientist chick looks like she’ll be fun, too.

Bleach - I wanna die. Bleach “comedy” is usually pretty bad and this episode was no exception. I did chuckle once but most of the time I was bored and couldn’t care less about anything I was watching. If I was a huge fan of Bleach and its characters I might have found the episode entertaining but I’m not so it was like watching someone’s boring vacation video.

Space Dandy - I really liked this episode. It actually felt like the show’s had an actual narrative for once and not just another crazy, one-off adventure. We learned more about what Honey and Scarlet are like in their off hours. They even referenced the Zombie timeline. While I don’t really expect this to actually lead to any kind of real continuity in the show, at least it felt like it. The studio audience aliens were very clever and we were all fooled.

Honey jobbed Dr. Gel. Damn.

Naruto Shippuden - I was kinda bored with this episode but it wasn’t that bad. It just felt like more wrap up of the last arc and the setting up new villains. At least all of the cast are together again and the mood has lightened. The animation looked like total ass and I didn’t really feel anything over loosing Granny Chiyo.

She is literally an old bag.

One Piece - CP9 are so crazy it’s hard to take them seriously. However, they are also fun to so I think that’s alright. The Franky Family kicked ass on taking down those giants so quickly (to my surprise) and Luffy continues to destroy men by the hundreds. Lots of fun action and fast pacing. Great episode.

W3Jxad3.gif

IT'S OVER 4000!!!!!!!!!

Blue Exorcist - Not as bad as I expected but nothing great either. The demon brothers simply drove their dad Satan back to Gehenna so sadly we were denied the “shit beating” we were promised so long ago. The real insult came when they tacked on that moment to show Satan-kun apologizing to the ghost of his human waifu for failing to destroy the world. I’m not joking, I think that’s what actually happened! It’s insulting to our collective intelligence that we should even remotely care about that character. He’s the DEVIL! He MURDERED people! So what if he was a goody-two-shoes to some chick in a forest once?! Ugh. Overall, I would say that this ending was slightly worse than Soul Eater’s mostly because the whole thing went to crazy town a few episodes earlier with characters, situations and other shit that came out of no-where.

NO ...STAHP ANIME.

STAAAAAHP

YOU CANNOT MAKE SATAN SYMPATHETIC STOP FUCKING TRYING.

As for the series as a whole, I really enjoyed it up until it went off-cannon and even then a few of the filler episodes weren’t bad (like the Birthday party). The show was best when it was slice-of-life at Exorcist Academy. I even liked about half of the secondary cast except for the puppet kid who seemed to be mysterious for no reason (that was ever explained), the Krillin kid who wouldn’t stop whining like a baby and the moe-blob. I really enjoyed the Tsundere girl, the moehawked guy, the cool-bro buddy character and even the sword toting Yoko-wannabe for the most part. Lastly, the animation quality of the show should get special recognition. The budget must have been pretty high because it never looked bad once. I’ll watch the movie when I get a chance since I hear it’s so much better than the actual series narrative wise.

Beware the Batman - Not as terrible as some earlier episodes but not great either which is actually a bit of a compliment for this series. The truth that Alfred killed Katana’s father was probably the most adult thing to happen on this show that otherwise seems written for a six year old level of comprehension. Aside from that, there continue to be lapses in logic enough to make your head spin. I can’t say I wasn’t genuinely entertained by what was happening though, because at this point it’s like watching a train wreck happen.

Shes so small in the ca-wait what the hell? WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING GIRL?

Black Lagoon - Things came together and what is going on makes a lot more sense now than the last two episodes. A lot of great tension and character moments this time. I didn’t really care about Yukio until this episode and then when those assholes showed up and started to abuse here, I was seriously pissed off. Revy, please, DESTROY THEM. I want to see them pay so, so bad. Great episode.

The Samurai will bathe the starways in their blood.

Naruto - I actually misremembered this episode. I thought it was about Sakura being a decent ninja for once and kicking some butt. Then, as I was watching it, the reality set in that she only does like one thing which was essentially trick a dude long enough to bite his arm. Ugh. Oh, and she *gasp* cut her hair off! Like I said last night, instead of “Sakura Blossoms”, the episode should have been called “Sakura Bruises.” Oh yeah, and the flashbacks were so forced and poorly done. It was watchable, not great, but mostly insulting to anyone who enjoys strong, female characters.

What good are you, Sakura?

Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood - Great episode. I know I’ve said it five times already but this show is just top notch both in storytelling and animation quality. Really compelling characters, situations and drama. Loved it.

Aww. Poor Gluttony. He's so cute.

I fells a sleeps after that.

Only six more days until we pierce the heavens! Hopefully we haven’t overhyped the show too much for newbies but as you can see by the overwhelming positive response, the show is really great. I hear some people take a few episodes to get into it but trust me, this is one show where everything gels so well you just can’t help but enjoy the ride.

Soulflarz

Banned
^hey thats me :D

Edit: Maybe I should say my thoughts.
Id debate doing OP ep by ep but im sure some of you would want me dead by the 15th let alone 150th :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah I found dandy's boot right off and noticed the old man and the girl...It's the yellow part.

The rest of the dump though is fantastique!

Thanks! And yeah, just ignore the yellow stuff for now ;-) I'm adding in a lot of "probably to be covered by another character later" Bits to this one, rather than having a clean divide for each segment, as in the past Dandy Mega-Covers. Makes for sloppy in-process, but hopefully works out in the end!

Been watching Eureka 7 for the first time. I've always missed it during it's run on Toonami. This show is very good.

Up to episode 24 now.

I rather enjoyed it, too. The show did a great job of really making me care for the characters, and I didn't feel like it held back much at all, which is something that comes up in the regular shonen. It feels completely honest with it's script and throughts, and what it's being honest about isn't goofy and off-putting.

Great stuff as always, I really do enjoy your ideas for crossover and shout=outs to other video games or anime. :)
If you every get a job in video games or anime, reference Toonami. :p
And I glad you include Jack's stupid awesome rave gear.

I'm actually working on a pixel character for a guy right now, and for an attack he wants me to base it off of an anime I might not be familiar with called One Piece. From that point on, it's like "yea~no, this is going to be fun!", lol.

I always loved shout-outs in works back in the day. Seeing Masukazu Katsura making Batman refs in the Video Girl Ai manga felt so surprising to me back then. Or how designers from works would stick characters they worked on previously into backgrounds of later works, like Lum popping up in the Dirty Pair TV series, or Chun Li appearing in Breath of Fire and Final Fight 2. I think it helps feel things feel less like products of corporations and focus testing, and more like works made by a bunch of fanboys and fanbabes; giving a human element to what would otherwise just be a name on a page.

I like how the sketch has some cross shows and references lol

Thanks! I wonder what next weeks thing will be... I guess Gamescom related? That, or depression over Sony paying even less attention to the Vita. Find out next Dump! XD

This Zero Hut is hilariously awful, who heard that voice and went "yep good casting"

I think it's similar to how SNKP said they wanted people to hate Ash in KoF from the very start. As soon as you hear Zero, you want to punch him in the face, and see him killed off, ha.

Good morning everyone. Woke up later than usual, I guess I was really tired last night.
Good work as usual SAB

Thanks for that, and for the Impressions!

So what was the point of Mephisto?

For me, all he did is make the story kinda Stupid. "NO, THE SON OF SATAN CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO EXIST! Somone call up the BROTHER OF SATAN, whom we employ, and tell him of our grievances!"

Now I want Satan to reply to the "Demons and Humans can live together" stuff with a "Naw, sure, you see, my brother already works for your dad!" or something like that.

Kinda late this morning but fantastic dump. Really like the Dandy opening image.

WOHOO! I had fun playing with the colors of that part. That didn't come out at all like I was planning to make it over the week, but I think it turned out better for the main episode characters, so totally works out.

Great stuff this week SAB, love the random references to old shows in your drawings

And I haven't even watched Initial D! Heh. Though trying to get it's style for Barb was surprisingly fun. Gotta keep everyone on their toes!

Both Clone Wars and Jack are suffering lately with a lack of certain characters.

Jack has been Aku-less for months now and Clone Wars has gone quite a while without a real Obi-Wan or Anakin episode. Yes I'm starting to miss Anakin episodes now.

Honestly, Asohka episodes are all the Anakin I need. She's the result of his training, idealogy, and personality, and she lets us reflect on the only real interesting revelations of Anakin Pre-Vader in this show, IMHO. Doesn't hurt that I started to more than half-watch the show in it's original runs around the Aso-focused stuff.

Guess it ALSO doesn't hurt that she's the only one who pulls off the Jedi Pride-speak without making me just wanna hate her, actually. Obi's so slick about it it's annoying, and Ani's so dark about it that it's like an eviljoke, knowing his future. Aso's young enough for it to make sense, but yet still reeled back in by her position so as it never feels entirely overblown.

I don't know either but when you think of manga and sniper, you immediately go to Golgo 13.

zlCfzSSdC_ESMHCLi5

Sure, it would have made more sense for me to use Yoko here, but... as you said...

is anyone else kinda disappointed at what they did with Scarlet's character in Space Dandy?

It was weird at first, but I like her a lot more this way, really. After her butt-kicking fight in S1, I was worried they were going to make her into a character that really only played with a professional side, and a rough-and-tumble "renegade" side. But getting to see that she's just as apt to letting loose on her emotions as the rest of the cast (even with a much more believable reasoning than the others, in Alcohol), makes her feel more like one of the shows ever-growing cast.

I also found it funny that the only way to make her stand out as a sub-par choice in such a situation, was to place her by a friend built like a triple re-enforced Brickhouse. What a nice way to push her confidence to lows that she probably has no business being at, if compared to normal human girls.

animation and......animation?

Speaking of that, really, the amount of secondary and personality-quirk detail of the show was a delight to see. Even things as mundane as watching Rin and TheKingOfGames walk out of the snowy hut at the end had extra motions accommodating for shifting weight, or stepping on an unexpected surface. If the show was judged just by animation alone, it'd probably be one of my favorite shows to air on the block since Tenchi OVAs.

Here are my reviews for last night along with a choice comment from each episode. Enjoy! :)

I actually did enjoy that, lol. Wonderful thread-based retrospective, felt like reading a good blog post or enthusiast gaming magazine editorial.

As someone said earlier I think this Black Lagoon arc is meant to show the struggle that happened during the mid ninties when the government cracked down on the more traditional Yakuza, following a more than usual violent yakuza war in the late eighties that involved a lot of civilians getting caught in the crossfire, allowing for the infiltration of foreign mafia and the growth of smaller more brutal street gangs represented by the Russians and Chaka respectively. I think though this was just what I was told. Any truth to it?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Super Moon Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 27:

Ah yes, the single episode love interests, one of the most reliable wastes of time for a plotline I encounter. Really, it boils down to an asking for an emotional investment that you know isn't going to see a proper payoff, but I guess they got to fill the space somehow. That being said seeing Ami get any attention in the matters of love is a very rare sight in of itself and since it was one the level of a one way crush, it was actually a bit compelling. That being said this was a dead average episode with little in the way to make it stand out.
Also, I will never get used to seeing Mamoru and Rei being a couple, this is just too odd on too many levels.
I will also say that this arc has consistently had the worst monster designs the show has seen yet, right out of the bargain basement of the Power Rangers thus far. Anyway, the story advances a little since we more or less have a progress bar on things now. Still, this is an episode you can take or leave.

Super Moon Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 28:

Yep, we have certainly arrived at the formula slog, although the romantic portents this time around are actually important to the show since they involve
getting Mamoru and Usagi together ever so slowly. Also, the painting seen are actually window into the past with King Endyrmon and Queen Serenity. We also learn that Tuxedo Mask is going to be more of a wild card for the arc, bent on owning the silver crystal for his own devices.
Also, oh hey, it is a monster design that doesn't suck. Once again a pretty typical episode but this one has a bit more bearing on the overarching plot, so if you do watch one episode today this would be the one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now correct me if I'm wrong AOT manga readers but the people of this world just found the walls there miraculously, right? That gives perfect justification for why there would be a wall cult.

Now correct me if I'm wrong AOT manga readers but the people of this world just found the walls there miraculously, right? That gives perfect justification for why there would be a wall cult.

Minor manga spoilers
yes, humanity fled across a great sea to escape the titan onslaught, that is when they found the walls already built

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They straight up mentioned that they could not repair the walls with their current technology so its not really a spoiler that they didn't build the walls.

daveo42

Banned
What would make them outside of their technology to repair? I just assumed the walls were made of brick and mortar.

Manga spoiler:
The walls are actually made of titans that used their hardening ability to create the wall. The 'why' hasn't been explained yet, but I'm probably a few chapters behind at this point of the manga.

Gorillaz

Its only like 3ish episodes left of Lagoon but the Bacardi shots during the show would have made it interesting. Wish I thought about it like 2-3 months back :#

daveo42

Banned
Nope.
People are predicting it's something that's been shown before like Ghost in the Shell.

We'll probably see something in the next week or two about a replacement. Makes sense for something old as we are getting TTGL next week and DBZ Kai in a few months (supposedly).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nothing new that cost money is going at 3am, heck I wouldn't be surprised if Uncut Naruto slides up and a rerun takes that slot

Nothing brand-new, but maybe something old that they just got. Who knows if Batman will even keep it's timeslot after BL is gone.

Good luck, Absolution. Remember to believe in the ToonamiGAF that believes in you. Anywho, PSN is having an Anime themed sale tomorrow and quite a few movies related to Toonami are going on sale. Full list includes:

All the Bleach movies
All of the Inuyasha movies
All of the OG Naruto movies
The first two Shippuden movies released in NA

They also have the Naruto and Bleach seasons, but I don't think those are at a good enough price to mention. Full list here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...rrow-discounted-games-movies-shows/#sf4097470

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom