• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing brand-new, but maybe something old that they just got. Who knows if Batman will even keep it's timeslot after BL is gone.

It will, lets not kid ourselves. They weren't going to seitch the two for six weeks just to switch back. They switched them because BL is being replaced by a rerun

Raxus

A day late but couldn't be helped

REVIEW TIME

Attack on Titan
I missed most of it since I was in GotG but I already know about the trial episode. It is a slightly less worse cannons aimed at Eren and friends. While the latter served as more of a character moment and that was about it, this episode at least moves the plot forward and it is nice to not deal with the Battle of Trost anymore. We also learn so key background details that will never be looked into again this season! (yay....)

Bleach
I wanna die. When I told Bleach to go fly a kite I didn't mean literally. Stupid humor with no payoff and no dance. I just want to get back to the STAND knock offs so I can make more JoJo references as this counts down to its conclusion. DIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOO!

Space Dandy
Tamaki's VA was throwing me off since I finished Ouran High School Host Club not long ago (I hear DTL knocking on my door). So that added to episode for me. The laugh track was creepy and out of place (most laugh tracks are) but the explanation was pretty funny. Overall it was an ok episode of Dandy but next week's episode looks fantastic.

Naruto Shippuden
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

One Piece

It is strange this is the only time power levels are ever employed in One Piece. Especially considering the anime defies power levels considered how tanky most characters are. Luffy is second only to Zoro for a bad sense of direction. We also got to see the group dynamic of CP9 as well as Robin having fond memories of the Straw Hats. Just a few more episodes and we will start our first major fight.

Blue Exorcist SPECIAL EDITION

I know this show got shit on towards the end (and it deserved it) but I think the series had plenty of saving graces and it made me want to get into reading the manga. The series had nice animation and I honestly liked most of the characters, Rin especially. I think the moment Rin and Yukio shared when they remembered the past was actually pretty sweet. As well as Rin wanting to find other ways of dealing with demons other than killing them. The series really shined when we got those moments. When it suffered is pretty obvious. They had a few chapters of source material and they had to wing it when they reached a certain point. It is jarring because I was really getting to like the series and then Rin's trail happened and I could feel the exact moment (when Amaimon 'dies') the series tore off from the manga and it was a sharp downhill slope from there. It shows to because Mephisto peaces the fuck out more or less in the last half of the series and the puppet kid is there for no fucking reason. Sheimi does jack shit for the rest of the series (maybe that stupid flower thing with zombie wife?). Not to mention the most regrettable decision, good guy Satan. That pretty much explains itself. The series didn't get to an overarching plot, realizing this it just went batshit crazy at the end. I hope we get the movie since I really do feel it highlights the strengths of the show and is quite fun to boot.

Beware the Batman
I am really beginning to question why they picked this up apart from the obvious, they have 'new' episodes to air. This has got to be one of the most kiddy kid shows I have ever seen on the block. Everything is spoon fed to you, Batman is an idiot and sucks at fighting even factoring into the fact he is an amateur. At best it is unintentionally hilarious. Poor animation and a poor use of Ras al' Ghul. You could swap in the League of Assassin's chick and not much would change.

Black Lagoon

That's more like it. I just want to take a moment to appreciate how nice it is to have a character moment in these shows. The only other show to have this was Blue Exorcist oddly enough (not counting the shows I skip). Easily the best episode of the night as things begin to escalate to a fever pitch. That fucking preview man. I have to physically hold myself back from watching the next episode. It looks like it is going to be a blood bath.

Clone Wars
A slight improvement over previous weeks. I also miss Obi Wan and Anakin and most Jedi episodes. It feels like they have been saving their budget for the past 3-4 episodes. I know this series has much better episodes in it I just can't explain why it hit such a snag as of late as it was steadily improving.

Samurai Jack
Jack fights to rave music....that's about it. Personally, I dug it. I found it kind of funny Jack was pushing kids to their doom from their rafters after staying his blade but I am thinking way too much about this. I do want to comment about the series so far but I think I will hold off until we reach a 'certain episode' coming up.

RANKINGS!

Black Lagoon
Samurai Jack
Space Dandy
One Piece
Blue Exorcist

Attack on Titan (I dunno where I want to place this on the 'ok' column :-/)
Clone Wars
Naruto Shippuden
Beware the Batman
Bleach

Might as well mention there's an anime sale happening tomorrow on PSN & some of the games, shows, & movies discounted involve Bleach (movies), Naruto (movies, games, & TV series), Inuyasha (movies), One Piece (both Pirate Warriors games), and Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z

Trying to steal my thunder?

Good luck, Absolution. Remember to believe in the ToonamiGAF that believes in you. Anywho, PSN is having an Anime themed sale tomorrow and quite a few movies related to Toonami are going on sale. Full list includes:

All the Bleach movies
All of the Inuyasha movies
All of the OG Naruto movies
The first two Shippuden movies released in NA

They also have the Naruto and Bleach seasons, but I don't think those are at a good enough price to mention. Full list here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...rrow-discounted-games-movies-shows/#sf4097470

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Whoops, didn't see that........but you didn't mention the DBZ or One Piece games, so it's totally and completely different in comparison. :p

1/2 tempted to get the original Pirate Warriors, but I heard it's nowhere near as good as the sequel. Not sure on Saint Seiya since I haven't read/watched the series but know it exists.

Whoops, didn't see that........but you didn't mention the DBZ or One Piece games, so it's totally and completely different in comparison. :p

1/2 tempted to get the original Pirate Warriors, but I heard it's nowhere near as good as the sequel. Not sure on Saint Seiya since I haven't read/watched the series but know it exists.
No excuses!

tumblr_na468qI5hH1tv4kojo4_500.gif

I don't think he'd want anyone to be sad over this. Whatever problems he may have had, the man loved making people happy. So shake this off and instead remember the life that was. Some of his comedy specials and movies are readily available on Netflix and the like.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just took a long walk to clear my head after hearing about Robin Williams.... fucking hell.

I remember hearing that if they ever made a live-action Evangelion movie, he wanted to be cast as Gendo. That would have been interesting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just took a long walk to clear my head after hearing about Robin Williams.... fucking hell.

I remember hearing that if they ever made a live-action Evangelion movie, he wanted to be cast as Gendo. That would have been interesting.

That would have been the greatest thing ever.

Seda

May is easily the weakest 'main character' in FMAB, in my opinion. She 'does things' at times to move plot along, but as a written character, I don't think there's much interesting or likable about her.

May is easily the weakest 'main character' in FMAB, in my opinion. She 'does things' at times to move plot along, but as a written character, I don't think there's much interesting or likable about her.

She is there mostly to give Al a love interest, and she does that role well imo. She also helps to give us more insight into the country of Shing. I will agree she's the weakest of the main characters though I feel thats more an argument for just how strong the rest of the cast is by comparison.

my issue is that she doesn't seem like she....fits. i know Ed and Al are teenagers, but this little girl with a tiny panda hurts my suspension of disbelief.

Raxus

I like May but I can see why people may not be fans. She also serves to teach Alkhestry to the Elrics which is pretty crucial to the finale.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I heard that there were people who didn't like the OP2 of Attack on Titan. I also heard that the credits didn't show in the OP either.

my issue is that she doesn't seem like she....fits. i know Ed and Al are teenagers, but this little girl with a tiny panda hurts my suspension of disbelief.

Al is only 14 and May is 11 at the start of the series, their age isn't really THAT far apart

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One thing I don't see coming to Toonami is Toriko.
Funimation only did the first 52 episodes, and I've heard no plans of doing anymore.
Plus, the anime is garbage. The manga is leagues better.
I've made this comparison before, but the manga is The Salty Spitoon while the anime is Weenie Hut Jr's.

Man, had it not been for the awful news today, I would've put this day on the booksas a good one. :(
Fuck.

On a slightly happier news, I think I nailed the the interview. :) I find out by Friday.

she sure as hell doesn't look 11. she looks like Ed and Al did when they were kids.

Yeah and Ed was 10 or 11 years old when he attempted to transmute his mother, he became a state alchemist at the age of 12 and it took him a year to heal from his auto mail surgery. It's just the authors art style kids look really young until the magically explode into teens around 12/13.

Funimation only did the first 52 episodes, and I've heard no plans of doing anymore.
I've made this comparison before, but the manga is The Salty Spitoon while the anime is Weenie Hut Jr's.

Yeah I doubt they'd want to pick up an unfinished dub

Yeah and Ed was 10 or 11 years old when he attempted to transmute his mother, he became a state alchemist at the age of 12 and it took him a year to heal from his auto mail surgery. It's just the authors art style kids look really young until the magically explode into teens around 12/13.

the knowledge that "hey, she's not actually 8 years old" doesn't really change the way it looks onscreen, though, which is the issue.

the knowledge that "hey, she's not actually 8 years old" doesn't really change the way it looks onscreen, though, which is the issue.

Yes but the issue for most people seems to be the age difference between her and the Elrics which really doesn't exist. Half the problem is Al looks like a giant compared to her which was probably deliberate

Funimation is already planning collections for Toriko. Now that the anime is over, there's a chance they might finish dubbing it and release it in collection sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom