• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
I appreciate the thought he put into that video. Most of the actors or actresses just do a little shout-out for like 5 seconds and dump. Blum actually explained the disease and showed why he has been personally affected by it.

Agree with this. Nice to see someone talk about the disease and its impact during one of these challenges. I know this campaign has brought a lot of attention to ALS, but too many people have no idea about the disease itself or its impact on those it afflicts.

I need to see what I can give now. Good job Steve.

Okay good.
Honestly with the way anime fans are, it could have been real

I'm sure it's been said by some anime fan. Probably lazybones.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Literally the smartest. Ghost in the Shell SAC with all of its political intrigue, philosophical discussions, and Police procedural stories all in comparison to a generic protagonist who wins at everything and makes women thirsty as all hell just by saying hello to them.

Ghost in the Shell SAC is 12 years old.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Back from the dead
Time to change to an appropriate avatar.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for the welcome back! I haven't watched toonami in about a month and didn't lurk the thread so I've got some questions for ya.

Is Black Lagoon still airing and if so where are we at so I can catch up? Have any replacement shows been announced? How was GL received last week? Any new promos/reviews I should look for? How have you been enjoying Dandy S2?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Black Lagoon is on its final 2 episodes (23 & 24). Nothing on its replacement yet.

Gurren Lagann had rather positive reactions from 1st time viewers.

& not sure if ya heard, but on the 30th, it's an AoT marathon for the 1st season starting at Midnight after a new Space Dandy at 11:30 AM.

Titan marathon eh? Are you guys liking that a little more post-Trost? I'm assuming they've gotten to (possible minor spoilers)
eren joining the scouts?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We watched episode 15 of AoT last Saturday. & yes, things are getting more interesting now that they finished moving a giant rock.

Need any more episode numbers?

Gorillaz

Titan marathon eh? Are you guys liking that a little more post-Trost? I'm assuming they've gotten to (possible minor spoilers)
eren joining the scouts?

we are at eren joining team levi and the whole cleaning the dungeon episode, basically the calm before the storm/next arc

I guess it makes sense? (no it doesn't) to do the marathon now. They will probably marathon the backhalf as well near the end

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They could just air 13.5.....I mean, that's a recap episode.

Then again, it could be for people who haven't had a chance to see all the episodes, like my friend who (currently, might move) lives in a place with no internet or TV.

Gorillaz

They could just air 13.5.....I mean, that's a recap episode.

Then again, it could be for people who haven't had a chance to see all the episodes, like my friend who (currently, might move) lives in a place with no internet or TV.

Feel it's more of a ratings move. Plus gets to give each show an extra week off before they are done, mainly Lagoon.

Can we have a discussion about Blue Exorcist now that it's over? I know it was a pretty divisive show in here but oftentimes it was my favorite show on the block.

The first couple of episodes do a great job establishing the world, characters, and overall narrative for the show -- right from the start the viewer knows this is going to be about Rin discovering his newly awakened demonic powers and avenging the loss of his father. Other themes such acceptance, friendship, and the importance of family are touched upon but in a very poor manner for the most part. I'm willing to give that a pass though since these are things we see in almost every shonen, BE didn't seek to reinvent the wheel or even tweak it a little, this show is the definition of status quo (some would say generic).

After the brief introduction the show shifts to true cross academy where things grind to a halt. I think we can all agree that BE spent way too much time
poorly
attempting to develop the main cast; everything seemed to drag on for MONTHS until we got to Rin vs Amaimon where the plot started to kick into high gear again. Still, I found myself enjoying these episodes due to the humor which I think is done very well. BE has some of the best reaction faces I've seen in quite some time and the voice actors really helped make the script come alive which made for better flowing dialogue and more believable interactions.

Ultimately, I think BE was pretty much the equivalent of a Micheal Bay's Transformers or TMNT for toonami -- a summer blockbuster that doesn't require you to think very much, has questionable pacing, and ultimately ends up being an enjoyable, although predictable ride. I thought the whole '
Yukio is a demon too!'
thing made sense but was presented in such a way that made the whole thing feel like a cop out. There was no build up, it just came out of left field really. The ending in general just seemed rushed but I had a good time with it each week.

Gorillaz

The only question that maters is

Do you see Satan as the good guy, proud father, family man that he is? I mean he proved his love for his kids in those last few episodes

The only question that maters is

Do you see Satan as the good guy, proud father, family man that he is? I mean he proved his love for his kids in those last few episodes

I thought it was hilarious that they tried to turn Satan into a good guy through a love story. That made me scratch my head, he's the frickin' devil.

Jarate

Banned
Blue Exorcist was at its best when it was cooking a cake

think about that shit, a shonen was at its best when it cooked a cake

Raxus

The problem with the character development is that it just halts for most characters where in the manga it continues in the Kyoto arc. Most of the stronger themes in B.E. Gucci mentions are also in the Kyoto arc.

The problem with the character development is that it just halts for most characters where in the manga it continues in the Kyoto arc. Most of the stronger themes in B.E. Gucci mentions are also in the Kyoto arc.

Kyoto arc? What is that sandwiched between so I can check it out?

Jarate

Banned
that episode was legitimately funny

I was shocked

I think it's in part of how everyone loves the driving episode in DBZ. It's just so ludicrous that the entire premise works because of it.
I know it's filler, but I hope they show the driving episode of DBZ on toonami

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think it's in part of how everyone loves the driving episode in DBZ. It's just so ludicrous that the entire premise works because of it.
I know it's filler, but I hope they show the driving episode of DBZ on toonami

It's not in Kai, so it's not happening.

Raxus

Kyoto arc? What is that sandwiched between so I can check it out?

I am still reading the manga to catch up but the point the anime splits off (the trail) is Chapter 14 in the manga. Chapter 15 onwards dives into the Kyoto arc. That lasts for ~15 chapters.
I thought it was hilarious that they tried to turn Satan into a good guy through a love story. That made me scratch my head, he's the frickin' devil.

Watch 'The Devil is a Part Timer!' dubbed. It just was released and has much better good guy Satan antics.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Blue Exorcist & Keikkaishi to have a crossover cooking episode to see who can make the best cake.

..........& then Shokugeki no Soma makes a crossover as well & shows how food is REALLY made.

bigkrev

Can we have a discussion about Blue Exorcist now that it's over? I know it was a pretty divisive show in here but oftentimes it was my favorite show on the block.

When there was zero plot progression, I was in love with the show. It was a super bright, super easy to watch (in that a 3 year old could follow it) show that aired while I was struggling to stay awake, that I didn't feel bad if I missed an episode or 2 of because it wouldn't matter in the end.

As soon as they actually forced a plot, it went downhill, and it's complete shallowness became a problem, rather than an advantage.

The cake episode was good but I thought the beach episode (11) was the funniest. Remember when Izumo (eyebrows girl aka baka chan) fell for a prepubescent boy who thought he was going to kill a giant kraken on his own? Oh and guess what? His dad isn't really dead, he's actually friends with the monster trying to murder them!

giphy.gif

When there was zero plot progression, I was in love with the show. It was a super bright, super easy to watch (in that a 3 year old could follow it) show that aired while I was struggling to stay awake, that I didn't feel bad if I missed an episode or 2 of because it wouldn't matter in the end.

As soon as they actually forced a plot, it went downhill, and it's complete shallowness became a problem, rather than an advantage.

Yeah, I would say overall, this is how I feel about Blue Exorcist. Even though I was enjoying the episodes, it was frustrating having no plot progression at the end, especially when this went on for months. However looking back, those really were the best episodes. When they got back into the main plot things got very stupid, very fast.

The cake episode was good but I thought the beach episode (11) was the funniest. Remember when Izumo (eyebrows girl aka baka chan) fell for a prepubescent boy who thought he was going to kill a giant kraken on his own? Oh and guess what? His dad isn't really dead, he's actually friends with the monster trying to murder them!

giphy.gif

Yeah, I would say overall, this is how I feel about Blue Exorcist. Even though I was enjoying the episodes, it was frustrating having no plot progression at the end, especially when this went on for months. However looking back, those really were the best episodes. When they got back into the main plot things got very stupid, very fast.

My favorite part was when that boy called her cute because she had the same eyebrows as is dog.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Blue Exorcist needs a comedy spin-off. It did comedy so much better. It was one of the rare times where the filler episodes of something felt enjoyable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom