• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Western action show wise? they are kind of fucked. Avatar was the last big on major networks and Nick just pushed them to the struggle that is Nick.com premieres.

Darker Shows? I'm think back at some of the bigger ones and it does seem like the era for edgy stuff was mid 00's like 2004-8. It might make it cheaper to get tho.

Crocodile

Young Justice and Green Lantern immediately spring to mind. I think the Hub's deal on at least one of the Batman DCU shows ran out. Plus there's always Brave and the Bold and The Batman.

Cross off "The Batman" (it sucks), add in Justice League Classic/Unlimited or the Superman Animated Series. Afterwards what's left that isn't owned by Disney/Nick? Do we start pulling things from Boomerang?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They've got the same parent company and a bunch of these shows are moldering on the shelf, not even being aired in syndication anywhere or on the streaming sites. There's a crapload of DC shows they could put on late at night that would do great (and are better shows than The Batman basically by default) and they probably will.

If they want Darker shows that would appeal to casual western anime fans then they are gonna have to extend the age of shows they are willing to air. They might have to reach back to a time before digital coloring and such.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Toonami to get Darker........Than Black?

Nice to hear keep the mixture was the 3rd top request. That was the feedback I left. Kind of surprised "darker" was #2.....maybe people should've supported Black Lagoon.

Problem is they are running out of good dark action anime. Monster. Now and, Then Here and There...maybe Hellsing Ultimate if they did it right.
I'd be for Monster since I only read about 2 or 3 volumes from my library & a few episodes of the anime. NTHT was....depressing. Good, but it's one of those animes that you like, but are content with watching once.

How do we give them feedback again? Do they only accept written letters?
They said you could leave feedback on their tumblr, which is what I did. I guess you could click "Ask" & leave your opinion that way, like I did.

Gorillaz

Beware da Gawdman gave us the underrated villianess that is known as magpie

I think that covers the tab on everything else that is considered "bad" about the show

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They kinda set the bar high with darker anime starting with Deadman Wonderland and Casshew and now with Black Lagoon. There's not much else I can think of that's dark without too much sexual content, that's dubbed, that's any good and is recent. Monster comes to mind immediately but that's one show!

DtB isn't that dark but would probably do well. Plus we'd get to hatewatch the second season. It's one of the most dramatic falling offs of any product I've ever seen in my life and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monster is a bit of a problem since Viz dropped the license ages ago without ever finishing the release of the series onto the DVD.

They've got the same parent company and a bunch of these shows are moldering on the shelf, not even being aired in syndication anywhere or on the streaming sites. There's a crapload of DC shows they could put on late at night that would do great (and are better shows than The Batman basically by default) and they probably will.

Can you imagine the possibility of a DC action animated series tailor-made for Toonami?

It's a pipe dream, but still a dream no less.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Beware da Gawdman gave us the underrated villianess that is known as magpie

I think that covers the tab on everything else that is considered "bad" about the show

I've grown to like Professor Pyg and Jaken. Alfred is pretty boss as well.

Also the sassy Bat Computer.

How do we give them feedback again? Do they only accept written letters?

It also makes me a bit upset that Deadman was a "success" but Black Lagoon wasn't/less so. Black Lagoon has to be a top 3 new Toonami and Top 10ish all-time Toonami show in terms of actual quality :/

Also LOL at the American Hate but representatives like Beware the Batman don't help :/

Also, welcome back Gucci. Don't be stupid and get yourself banned again :p

You can give em feedback right though the tumblr, hit the ask button.

And about your western action shows comment, to be fair look at the list of western action cartoons that have aired since Toonami's rebirth

Thundercats Reboot
Symbiotic Titan
Star Wars The Clone wars
Beware The Batman
Samurai Jack

So we've had a poorly received reboot that got can'd, a well received show that got can'd with an unfinished story, a very inconsistent star wars show based upon the least popular part of the series, a bad batman show, and a great classic that airs so late almost no one watches it and most people have already seen it.

Its not like I can condemn people who are sick of western action shows when the majority new toonami has gotten have been flawed in some way.

Crocodile

You can give em feedback right though the tumblr, hit the ask button.

And about your western action shows comment, to be fair look at the list of western action cartoons that have aired since Toonami's rebirth

Thundercats Reboot
Symbiotic Titan
Star Wars The Clone wars
Beware The Batman
Samurai Jack

So we've had a poorly received reboot that got can'd, a well received show that got can'td with an unfinished story, a very inconsistent star wars show based upon the least popular part of the series, a bad batman show, and a great classic that airs so late almost no one watches it and most people have already seen it.

Its not like I can condemn people who are sick of western action shows when the majority new toonami has gotten have been flawed in some way.

When you lay out like that you make a good point. On the flipside, one can't with a straight face say something "fuck that American made shit, I wanna watch some GOOD cartoons like Bleach or Naruto Shippuden" which you know a lot of those F American cartoons are saying :p. The sad state of American action animation is a horn we've all trumpeted quite a bit though so I dunno know what can be gained from going over it again :/

As for "dark" edgy anime that could still on Toonami I'd have to think a bit but it would be an interesting exercise. Claymore kind of falls apart near the end but I can imagine a lot of Toonami watcher out there may like it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if darker could involve more horror-focused shows. I'm sure Higurashi won't ever be on the block, but it'd be a good example of a show that has some action, but mainly tries to be creepy....just a shame that some people would probably not get past the first episode when it's trying to establish the setting before getting into its creepy vibe.

Edit: No idea why, but I just remembered I want Samurai Champloo back. I want a group watch of the baseball episode.

What about Young Justice or even bringing back something like Batman Beyond or OG Teen Titans? Green Lantern can stay far away from toonami.

I didn't know another season of Space Dandy was airing. Do the episodes happen to be on Hulu or Netflix at all?

Not yet but you can catch past episodes on Adult Swim's website I believe

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I know the Hub sometimes airs the original Batman Animated Series & that Superman cartoon. Don't recall if they have Batman Beyond.

Oh, they removed the Animated Series but kept Beyond.

Seda

Like Fairy Tail :D *shot*

ulc7h6Q.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
*Blinks at Gif* .... That.... I like.

Err, I decided to make myself a new Avatar since Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm goes into Alpha + It's first Level up Stream tomorrow. What ya guys think? I based it off the old character select screen art, which I swear is actually miss Hanzo here with a strange fruit stuck to her chest:

Yatagarasu-Attack-on-Cataclysm-hanzo.jpg

And this is totally thread relevant, because I know I totally, lose people in here when they swap avatars, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom