• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Blum doing the ALS challenge

https://t.co/nBMDiMZnfL

That was really great and heartfelt. I donated. Major props to Blum. Also, he voices a recurring character in Gurren Lagann beginning this week. :)

Back from the dead

Welcome back! Blue Exorcist went to crazy town in the last six or so episodes but overall I enjoyed the series. It was best when it was slice-of-life; like the beach and birthday episodes. The animation was consistently good and most of the main cast were likable.

Jarate

Banned
Also, what do you guys think of this

https://soundcloud.com/coenenthebarbarian/ut-demo

This is a demo I did for the UT Announcer. It's not really that good yet, as i don't have a good room to record VA stuff in right now.

I also have some other audio in there of me doing other VA stuff. Any suggestions or pointers?

I would've shared this stuff much earlier, but im super conscious about this stuff, and I know I shouldnt be ;-;

Also, what do you guys think of this

https://soundcloud.com/coenenthebarbarian/ut-demo

This is a demo I did for the UT Announcer. It's not really that good yet, as i don't have a good room to record VA stuff in right now.

I also have some other audio in there of me doing other VA stuff. Any suggestions or pointers?

I would've shared this stuff much earlier, but im super conscious about this stuff, and I know I shouldnt be ;-;

I listened to the UT Announcer

You have the voice for it but not the equipment, it just sounds like a guy speaking into their iphone microphone to be honest. If you want to get serious about voice over work, invest in a nice microphone (none of that plug straight into your computer USB nonsense), a good pre-amp, a pop filter (will help eliminate air from entering the mic and causing 'puh' sounds or hisses, they're only $15 or so), and a DAW. Protools is industry standard but expensive and you won't know what the heck you're doing at first, so use freeware like audacity to get familiar with all the plugins and work your way up. You need to learn how to use reverb, echo, EQ, pitch, etc..It took me three years to get some basic knowledge and I'm still learning every day.

If self-teaching sounds a little too daunting (it takes years of time and patience) then just go to a local recording studio where they have trained engineers ready to do the heavy lifting for you. Usually you record in 'blocks' of time with an hour being the smallest and it could cost anywhere from $20-$40 per hour depending on where you go. My guy charges $20 an hour but I get a $10 discount for every 3 that I book, call around and look for similar deals.

Another option is to use fiverr. You can record the VO at home and send the .wav (or .mp3 but the quality will be shit, nobody uses these because the audio is compressed so much) and try to have an engineer clean it up a little for you. It won't sound as nice as if you went to a studio and worked with somebody directly but it'll sound better than a DIY home project unless you know what you're doing, and is much cheaper.

If you're dead serious on becoming a voice actor you'll need to build a portfolio of your work, get a manager, and move to LA because that's where 90% of the work is done these days. Good luck, I hope this helped.

Never seen Hellsing before but it looks awesome. Unfortunately, I don't see this coming to toonami without HEAVY edits. I mean, I just saw a dude jab a knife into his throat and saw his head off, all with a smile! I'd totally make a gif and post it but I just got back from a vacation and don't want to risk another one so soon.

daveo42

Banned
Hellsing would need some serious edits to make it on the air. Probably more than what it would be worth. I've already given up on ever seeing it on Toonami.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
& not sure if ya heard, but on the 30th, it's an AoT marathon for the 1st season starting at Midnight after a new Space Dandy at 11:30 AM.

How do I always miss these announcements? Hmmm... That'll be an interesting SkeDUMP night...

I thought it was hilarious that they tried to turn Satan into a good guy through a love story. That made me scratch my head, he's the frickin' devil.

Welcome back BTW! And it's funneh reading that VA infodump while thinking of your avatar.

It's like telling the story of stork baby delivery while sitting in a sex ed. class. How were they in a world full of quoting bible verses, that started with Satan possessing and killing a man, and.... thinking they could end with that?

The whole thing would have worked so much better if they just made their own religion and antagonist. Of went with gods and evils that didn't have such clearly-defined places in world lore already.

Blue Exorcist & Keikkaishi to have a crossover cooking episode to see who can make the best cake.

Can get have that random Baker from years ago of Bleach filler show up, too? And Yakitate Japan! A series I know almost nothing about beyond the name.

Oh ye gods no.

Heh, this reminds me of an old Friend.

I have little to no interest in Hellsing, but I wonder if I could end up liking it if it aired... Naaa, I'd probably just replace Alucard with Vash constantly.

Jarate

Banned
I listened to the UT Announcer

You have the voice for it but not the equipment, it just sounds like a guy speaking into their iphone microphone to be honest. If you want to get serious about voice over work, invest in a nice microphone (none of that plug straight into your computer USB nonsense), a good pre-amp, a pop filter (will help eliminate air from entering the mic and causing 'puh' sounds or hisses, they're only $15 or so), and a DAW. Protools is industry standard but expensive and you won't know what the heck you're doing at first, so use freeware like audacity to get familiar with all the plugins and work your way up. You need to learn how to use reverb, echo, EQ, pitch, etc..It took me three years to get some basic knowledge and I'm still learning every day.

If self-teaching sounds a little too daunting (it takes years of time and patience) then just go to a local recording studio where they have trained engineers ready to do the heavy lifting for you. Usually you record in 'blocks' of time with an hour being the smallest and it could cost anywhere from $20-$40 per hour depending on where you go. My guy charges $20 an hour but I get a $10 discount for every 3 that I book, call around and look for similar deals.

Another option is to use fiverr. You can record the VO at home and send the .wav (or .mp3 but the quality will be shit, nobody uses these because the audio is compressed so much) and try to have an engineer clean in up a little for you. It won't sound as nice as if you went to a studio and worked with somebody directly but it'll sound better than a DIY home project unless you know what you're doing.

If you're dead serious on becoming a voice actor you'll need to build a portfolio of your work, get a manager, and move to LA because that's where 90% of the work is done these days. Good luck, I hope this helped.

Never seen Hellsing before but it looks awesome. Unfortunately, I don't see this coming to toonami without HEAVY edits. I mean, I just saw a dude jab a knife into his throat and saw his head off, all with a smile! I'd totally make a gif and post it but I just got back from a vacation and don't want to risk another one so soon.

my mic is good enough, just the environment for it right now is bad, I just moved recently, and my voice echoes quite heavily, so unless im in a sound proof room, my VA is going to have some bad echo and some outside voice.

This wasnt a "demo" in the sense that it was a huge undertaking that took me many weeks/months to put together, I mostly just wanted feedback on the Voice Acting in general.

I have some work that's not nearly as badly put together, but once I get my sound proof room together, the audio quality will become massively better.

Ive been putting together a demo for a while, but it takes me a while because im usually my biggest critic when it comes to my VA. Although, i really need to get a room together, just idk where to put said room right now.

I have an incredibly wide range of vocals which also makes it hard to condense in a 1-2 minute demo, but I'll pick out my best

thanks for the help and suggestions though!

daveo42

Banned
If Deadman Wonderland managed to show as much as it did then I wouldn't be too worried.

Never saw Deadman when it was on here nor the anime, so I'm not sure how bad it gets. We are aware that they don't care about language and at least some violence, though Black Lagoon doesn't get near as violent as Hellsing.

my mic is good enough, just the environment for it right now is bad, I just moved recently, and my voice echoes quite heavily, so unless im in a sound proof room, my VA is going to have some bad echo and some outside voice.

This wasnt a "demo" in the sense that it was a huge undertaking that took me many weeks/months to put together, I mostly just wanted feedback on the Voice Acting in general.

I have some work that's not nearly as badly put together, but once I get my sound proof room together, the audio quality will become massively better.

Ive been putting together a demo for a while, but it takes me a while because im usually my biggest critic when it comes to my VA. Although, i really need to get a room together, just idk where to put said room right now.

I have an incredibly wide range of vocals which also makes it hard to condense in a 1-2 minute demo, but I'll pick out my best

thanks for the help and suggestions though!

Soundproofing the room is a good idea if you're going to be doing a ton of recording in there, but if this is just a hobby or you're on a budget, look into getting a mounted foam panel. You actually see these used by a lot of professional artists that prefer to record on the tour bus or in their house, rather than shelling out the money to soundproof an area or go back and forth to the studio. I've used one multiple times and can say that it's well worth the investment, the panel helps tone down natural reverb (sound bouncing off the walls creating 'space' in the recording), giving you a crisp take.

If you're dead set on dedicating an entire room to recording though, use a basement if you have one. Just remember that the larger the room, the more reverb there will be, although this can be edited in the DAW.

I didn't check out the other samples so I can't comment on your range or anything like that, just providing suggestions from a technical standpoint to help improve the sound quality. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Welcome back BTW! And it's funneh reading that VA infodump while thinking of your avatar.

It's like telling the story of stork baby delivery while sitting in a sex ed. class. How were they in a world full of quoting bible verses, that started with Satan possessing and killing a man, and.... thinking they could end with that?

The whole thing would have worked so much better if they just made their own religion and antagonist. Of went with gods and evils that didn't have such clearly-defined places in world lore already.

Thanks! I missed your sketch dumps, I'll have to dig back through the thread and find them! You know, I think it would be a good idea to provide a direct link to each one in the OP, Seda get on it!

BE pulled a completely 180 with trying to make me sympathize with Satan, that's when things went from 'this is dumb but entertaining' to 'what the heck are they thinking, make this end NOW' territory for me. I totally agree that it would have worked better with a made up religion, it's hard to get viewers, especially in the West where Christianity is so ingrained, to not find that plot twist idiotic.

Jarate

Banned
Soundproofing the room is a good idea if you're going to be doing a ton of recording in there, but if this is just a hobby or you're on a budget, look into getting a mounted foam panel. You actually see these used by a lot of professional artist that prefer to record on the tour bus or in their house, rather than shelling out the money to soundproof an area or go back and forth to the studio. I've used one multiple times and can say that it's well worth the investment, the panel helps tone down natural reverb (sound bouncing off the walls creating 'space' in the recording), giving you a crisp take.

If you're dead set on dedicating an entire room to recording though, use a basement if you have one. Just remember that the larger the room, the more reverb there will be, although this can be edited in the DAW.

I didn't check out the other samples so I can't comment on your range or anything like that, just providing suggestions from a technical standpoint to help improve the sound quality. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Ive got my eyes on a sound room that my brothers band currently owns, that they dont really use. Im kind of waiting on that train to see where it leads, but the foam isn't the issue, if I had my old computer loaded, I could grab some other stuff, didnt realize that I put some stuff that was meant for my friends on that soundcloud

I mostly work with Adobe Audition 3.0, cause that's the industry standard for radio, which i was trying to get into before, but I can generally get most things done. Just waiting on that booth right now, cause that'll solve a lot of headaches about future proofing when i do eventually move into a small apartment.

But i got a shit ton of sound proof foam, our family just moved so I havent had the time to find a proper place for said foam, but I have some options

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks! I missed your sketch dumps, I'll have to dig back through the thread and find them! You know, I think it would be a good idea to provide a direct link to each one in the OP, Seda get on it!

BE pulled a completely 180 with trying to make me sympathize with Satan, that's when things went from 'this is dumb but entertaining' to 'what the heck are they thinking, make this end NOW' territory for me. I totally agree that it would have worked better with a made up religion, it's hard to get viewers, especially in the West where Christianity is so ingrained, to not find that plot twist idiotic.

This I can help with!

July#4: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122864068&postcount=16607
Aug#1: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123819224&postcount=3831
Aug#2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124692023&postcount=8204
Aug#3: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125780246&postcount=12922

Been a while since I did a SD Retrospective... always harder to do once the threads are locked.

I really wonder what some Japanese natives thought of that twist now. Did their Christian community roll their eyes to it as harshly as we did? Or is there some subtle difference ("They spell "Satan" with different Kanji than biblical Satan!") that was lost in translation?

Hellsing would need some serious edits to make it on the air. Probably more than what it would be worth. I've already given up on ever seeing it on Toonami.

Nothing in Hellsing is as bad as what a show like Super Jail seems to have, mass violence doesn't seem to be an issue just nudity and lanuage

I really wonder what some Japanese natives thought of that twist now. Did their Christian community roll their eyes to it as harshly as we did? Or is there some subtle difference ("They spell "Satan" with different Kanji than biblical Satan!") that was lost in translation?

I think the absurdity of sympathizing with the devil, who is obviously seen as an antagonistic figure in the West, went way over the heads of most Japanese viewers. Less than 1% of the population there identifies as Christian, it's a minority religion that was actually outlawed at one point. Really, you can probably see a boom in interest after the WWII when America started their occupation but by and large it has a small following. Seems like this was just one of those things that works in Japan but not in the West.

Nothing in Hellsing is as bad as what a show like Super Jail seems to have, mass violence doesn't seem to be an issue just nudity and lanuage

A-OK

XDWqo.gif

NOPE

10SecondAnime-KilllaKill-02_zps86b5ac2d.gif~original

Jarate

Banned
shamelessly stolen from some dude in the AS forums:

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVI...comment_id=10152671716418552&total_comments=3
https://twitter.com/ForneverWorld/statuses/498951103141404672
https://twitter.com/ForneverWorld/statuses/498953756374224896

looks like there's a bidding war over Hunter x Hunter. i'd have to guess Viz vs. Funimation on this.

I cant wait for the first 20 some episodes to go by and have the main character not win a single fight

Idk, ive been watching Hunter x Hunter recently, and while the direction is nice, everyone treats gon like he's jesus, and while the kid is young and talented, but man, every single character in the show has a man boner over this little kid, who has only gotten his shit destroyed. Leorio is a good character, but they make him the useless character, and really, there's no reason he should be a Hunter, he just got ludicrously lucky to have met Gon and Kurapika

Kurapika is the only person in that group who should be a hunter.

bT9o5IB.jpg

Jarate

Banned
Do not underestimate Gon

im not hating on him yet, but that's just 20 weeks of having to deal with basically the main character practically being useless in fights. Im gonna keep watching it slowly because the animation and direction are pretty well done, but that show has a shitty ass first few months.

also, is kurapika a girl, because that weould be the least shocking gender reveal of all time

im not hating on him yet, but that's just 20 weeks of having to deal with basically the main character practically being useless in fights. Im gonna keep watching it slowly because the animation and direction are pretty well done, but that show has a shitty ass first few months.

also, is kurapika a girl, because that weould be the least shocking gender reveal of all time

Kurapika is a boy. Also, once you get to the
Heavens Arena arc
, things will start to pick up and never stop from there. That's when I became hooked.

Raxus

Gon's flaws become more and more apparent as Hunter x Hunter progresses. While his personality attracts allies to his side and makes him a natural fit for a hunter (which is explained later) it also becomes a double edged sword. Once you get past the first arc things really pick up since you are introduced to the final key component of the series and the rest is gravy.

The scene where she first gets the goku uniform, I questioned if I should continue down the road of watching it.

Even after watching KLK all these months later I still wonder if I should have stopped there.

I'm not a fan of KLK; I think it's generic, predictable, and panders a little too much to the stereotypical 'otaku' crowd (I don't mean that as an insult). I also had an issue with how they handled the the issue of sexual abuse which we've talked about in here before and I don't really want to go down that road again. All in all, it's in the same tier as Blue Exorcist for me -- shallow yet entertaining, but fails to reach the pre-release hype.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Looks like Lich King has some more manual manipulations to impart to us.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

LICH KING DEMARCO @Clarknova1

6. Everything else. Some interesting suggestions re: Tom/Sara and formats/packaging, And LOTS and lots of show suggestions!

5. More premieres. We hear you and it's something we want. Partially not our call but we will definitely be pushing for that, promise.

4. No more American action! This one... Not sure we will do any time soon. Folks are very vocal bout hating this, but ratings disagree!

3. KEEP things a mix of classic shows and newer stuff. A lot of you seem to like the balance we have right now!

2. Go DARKER. We hear you on that. Deadman's success showed us you guys might like that... Black Lagoon a bit less so! But we have ideas.

Lot of responses. Most common suggestions are as follows: 1. Make Toonami LONGER. Sorry, that one is out of our hands, but we like it!

Crocodile

How do we give them feedback again? Do they only accept written letters?

It also makes me a bit upset that Deadman was a "success" but Black Lagoon wasn't/less so. Black Lagoon has to be a top 3 new Toonami and Top 10ish all-time Toonami show in terms of actual quality :/

Also LOL at the American Hate but representatives like Beware the Batman don't help :/

Also, welcome back Gucci. Don't be stupid and get yourself banned again :p

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looks like Lich King has some more manual manipulations to impart to us.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

To recap:
Can't go longer
Deadman Wonderland tells them to go darker, but Black Lagoon says otherwise
Keep it a mix of classic and new
The ratings on American action outweigh the dissenting voices.
They also want more premieres
TOM/SARA segments, formats and packaging, and lots of new shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
How do we give them feedback again? Do they only accept written letters?

It also makes me a bit upset that Deadman was a "success" but Black Lagoon wasn't/less so. Black Lagoon has to be a top 3 new Toonami and Top 10ish all-time Toonami show in terms of actual quality :/

Also LOL at the American Hate but representatives like Beware the Batman don't help :/

Also, welcome back Gucci. Don't be stupid and get yourself banned again :p

The ratings do not tell this story, see also, Family Guy drawing so much better than The Boondocks or Black Dynamite.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most people who don't think KLK would be a problem for TOONAMI completely forget that those are highschoolers being depicted that way. It's a huge problem. I don't think it has a chance unless they get very creative with the edits.

I'm also for MORE American action cartoons, especially since we've run through two of the worst ones already.

Gorillaz

Black lagoon moved to 3 different spots in it's run. It was already on at a later time so it doesn't help that they pushed it back another hour. Shit ain't even that dark besides the twin arc, but I don't think most people who are watching Toonami (or maybe in general) can deal with an anime like that where shit gets real. Not shonen "real" but actual "damn we might be fucked" real.

I like the idea of at least 1 serious show on the block tho, that's why I say Jourmagand would be a nice balance of people who still like BL but non of the more "harsh reality" of it.

Also hey should continue to have a mecha show after Lagann tho

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Problem is they are running out of good dark action anime. Monster. Now and, Then Here and There...maybe Hellsing Ultimate if they did it right.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Most people who don't think KLK would be a problem for TOONAMI completely forget that those are highschoolers being depicted that way. It's a huge problem. I don't think it has a chance unless they get very creative with the edits.

I'm also for MORE American action cartoons, especially since we've run through two of the worst ones already.

The problem is... what else is there?
Cartoon Network isn't making or funding anymore action cartoons because they keep failing.
EDIT: What Shard said too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The problem is there really isn't a large pool of Western shows to draw from.

Young Justice and Green Lantern immediately spring to mind. I think the Hub's deal on at least one of the Batman DCU shows ran out. Plus there's always Brave and the Bold and The Batman.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Young Justice and Green Lantern immediately spring to mind. I think the Hub's deal on at least one of the Batman DCU shows ran out. Plus there's always Brave and the Bold and The Batman.

The door is open a crack, this is true, but I wouldn't expect a DC flood either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom