• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
so disappointed every time that happens.

was the manga not that popular, so the anime didn't have a budget?

was the anime even popular in Japan?

why do they have to stop animating things five times an episode?

both are horrendously popular

but it's a first season shonen anime. You gonna get bad budgets because japan hates making risks

It was kinda popular but not majority popular, the anime caused the series to explode into a juggernaut. Its the same reason that despite the fact OP manga sells millions of copies each time a new volume releases and the anime is watched by millions every week the anime minimal budget from week to week because they don't need a good budget to draw people in.

Super successful series + almost no budget anime + stupidly over priced dvd/blu rays = maximum profits

Raxus

In quick succession

After the anime? No, Yes, Yes, Time.

Longer answer for those not in the know. Attack on Titan was a hugely popular anime in Japan. However due to time constraints the animation studio often rushed episodes to broadcast before they were done (hence the purple bricks)

shingeki-no-kyojin-episode-13-pic8.jpg

These blemishes were eventually fixed in the Blu-ray/DVD releases but the still frames remained. We aren't watching the broadcast version so we won't see these types of errors.

edit: It appears C-roll is a banned site lol.

Crocodile

Pre-production for the show was poor. As a result, comparatively little time was allowed to actually animate the episodes. A big part of why shows like Korra or Dandy look so good is because pre-production is extensive and they are given a lot of time (months) to actually animate the episodes. Animation is not just a function of money and talent but also time as well. If you look at the credits for many AoT episodes, you'll see A LOT of animators working on it yet they often didn't have the episode fully done in time for it to actually air. I'm sure the actual budget was respectable but with only so much time in world, animators and money can only do so much.

Jarate

Banned
can someone give me a rundown on Korra, is it still on TV or anything?

I don't really pay attention to the Last Airbender stuff, but it seems interesting that such a huge IP is seemingly being wasted.

can someone give me a rundown on Korra, is it still on TV or anything?

I don't really pay attention to the Last Airbender stuff, but it seems interesting that such a huge IP is seemingly being wasted.

Digital only as of the last five or so episodes.
(Oh, and long-time lurker, first post here)

Jarate

Banned
Digital only as of the last five or so episodes.
(Oh, and long-time lurker, first post here)

Welcome to the thread kind of

Yeah, that's strange that they make it digital only, you'd think a well recieved action show would have cartoon execs wetting their pants in anticipation with merchandise sales.

Im assuming there's a huge divide with Korra that makes it not able to sell to kids? I have no clue, im sure someone here knows what's up.

Yeah, that's strange that they make it digital only, you'd think a well recieved action show would have cartoon execs wetting their pants in anticipation with merchandise sales.

Im assuming there's a huge divide with Korra that makes it not able to sell to kids? I have no clue, im sure someone here knows what's up.

Nick aired the first two seasons at inconsistent times, and aired the third season with little build up and marketing (due to several episodes being leaked, so they started early) and were shocked when it didn't get good ratings.

daveo42

Banned
They aired season one very consistently. The problems didn't start until season 2.

Yeah they did do some weird stuff after season one. Though they did royally screw over ALTA too with how they aired episodes. The only real issue with the first season was how they dealt with Amon at the end and that was cause by Nick only wanting to do stand alone seasons and not an overarching plot.

Wait this weekend is Ballad of Falling Angels already? Damn

And you two are cray Ballad of Fallen Angels is THE best episode of Cowboy Bebop and arguably the single best episode of any anime ever

At this point I imagine the finale of Black Lagoon Tom and Sara will do a "well it's time to air the final episode of Black Lagoon" 'yep and next week GitS s2 will be taking over it's spot'

Raxus

Black Lagoon is over and you wanted darker anime so High School of the Dead is coming soon.

Gaze into the darkness of the abyss!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*HSotD bullet gif*

All honesty, it's one of those shows where you just turn your brain off & embrace the silliness of it, sort of like an exploitation film.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I think they figure they can't sell toys

probably because the main character is a girl

I am not even kidding

also animation as gorgeous as Korra's is no doubt way more expensive than whatever comedy bullshit they're putting out

also action cartoons are out of favor anyway, and TMNT would be gone too if there wasn't a movie

Moaradin

The fact that we don't know what Black Lagoon's replacement is STILL makes me believe it's probably some old returning show rather than something new.

The fact that we don't know what Black Lagoon's replacement is STILL makes me believe it's probably some old returning show rather than something new.

To be fair we were the same number of weeks out (3) when we learned of Blue Exorcist replacement, we assumed it'd be announced last week because we didn't know about the AoT marathon. GMN is probably right this week they advertise the Titan marathon next week they'll probably announce BL's replacement if it's new or newish, if not they'll just quiet announce it the final week of Black Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom