• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the old dub, they only dubbed like half the series and showed it in random order. The US version tried to make the series about Syaoran rather than Sakura, if I remember correctly. You could probably ask cajuntor though, he would know.

You're thinking of Escaflone which they edited the crap out of in order to make the male character look like the main character instead of the girl (names I forget). I did watch CCS on TV back in the day and Sakura was always clearly the main character.

Hmmm, I know a few people who own the Bluray, I'll ask them if there is a redub.

Hmm reading on the wiki apparently there was a dub that made it focus more on Li like you said, but I honestly don't ever remember as a kid thinking that he was the main character at all. Maybe I was just too smart to be fooled by their edits? lol

Both the dub and sub are being added to Netflix

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Netflix is going fucking nuts. Any anime with any name recognition they can get on there they are making deals for.

Netflix is going fucking nuts. Any anime with any name recognition they can get on there they are making deals for.

they are, but i wish they'd work faster because a lot of their library is still so.....anime.

FBfuIcI.png

Cvsex6T.png

(some of these are actually fine, but they do not create a favorable impression.)

Gorillaz

I'm afraid of just scrolling through some of those shows on netflix with the way the covers of the shows look.

Idk how I could talk myself out of some of the netflix recommendations when my roommates are using it....and that is just after watching just deathnote on there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
they are, but i wish they'd work faster because a lot of their library is still so.....anime.

FBfuIcI.png

Cvsex6T.png

(some of these are actually fine, but they do not create a favorable impression.)

Here's the thing.

That's exactly what that screen looked liked since...fall 2012 when everyone moved off Netflix to start their own things.

Since this winter though they've added or added back a lot of big names including:

Attack on Titan.
Sword Art Online.
Death Note
HunterXHunter
Welcome to the NHK
Seasons 2 and 3 of Digimon
Fate/Zero
Blue Exorcist

and a bunch of other shows with some buzz behind them.

Here's the thing.

That's exactly what that screen looked liked since...fall 2012 when everyone moved off Netflix to start their own things.

Since this winter though they've added or added back a lot of big names including:

Attack on Titan.
Sword Art Online.
Death Note
HunterXHunter
Welcome to the NHK
Seasons 2 and 3 of Digimon
Fate/Zero
Blue Exorcist

and a bunch of other shows with some buzz behind them.

they're certainly making progress, but it strikes me as a lot of little band-aids on a larger problem. if it's not the most stereotypical anime stuff imaginable (or at least what looks like it), it's toy stuff or the bottom of the bargain bin.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
they're certainly making progress, but it strikes me as a lot of little band-aids on a larger problem. i could've taken a picture of another row that consisted pretty much entirely of Beyblade

This is after 18 months of doing basically nothing but losing shows. Last time they were this strong they had more titles but few big names, and most of the really big stuff was sub only Viz titles.

Is F/Z dub and sub or just sub only? Been wanting to get some friends to watch the dub but don't have the heart to pay $200 to buy it all (THANKS ANIPLEX)

This is after 18 months of doing basically nothing but losing shows. Last time they were this strong they had more titles but few big names, and most of the really big stuff was sub only Viz titles.

it'd be nice to see some kinda balance between the two.

Is F/Z dub and sub or just sub only? Been wanting to get some friends to watch the dub but don't have the heart to pay $200 to buy it all (THANKS ANIPLEX)

Fate/Zero has the dub. the only Aniplex show that doesn't have its dub is Blue Exorcist.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ewww subs still?

where is my dub at

sleeping on the job there friend? cause Sina wouldn't sleep on the job

I'm an independent contractor just like Wall Sina. Fridays are usually slow as hell and I work from home. There's a bed not three feet away from me right now. I always wake up when the phone rings and if I got nothing better to do...why not?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You know what has a dub and is primed to hit TOONAMI in a matter of weeks?

Inuyasha: The Final Act FAIRY TAIL.

Tenumi

Banned
It's sad because a few of those generic anime fap material girl on the cover anime are actually really good and are way more then just generic anime fap material girl on the cover

Everyone should take time to watch Squid Girl someday.

Honestly, the only show in those pics I can honestly say that I think is terrible is Chaos;Head. Just a poorly made show all around.

yno....it occurs to me that the Harlock movie went up on Netflix the same day as Hunter x Hunter. Harlock has a dub from Sentai, but they haven't announced that it's been licensed by them and i'm not sure they get contracted by other companies to dub stuff.

hm....

Gorillaz

I'm an independent contractor just like Wall Sina. Fridays are usually slow as hell and I work from home. There's a bed not three feet away from me right now. I always wake up when the phone rings and if I got nothing better to do...why not?
As long as you follow Hustle Loyalty and Respect, friend. It's all good.
Bro, sub is fine.

I know it is, I've actually seen the first maybe...4 episodes? I just wanted to start it dub fresh but I can deal with sub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everyone should take time to watch Squid Girl someday.

Honestly, the only show in those pics I can honestly say that I think is terrible is Chaos;Head. Just a poorly made show all around.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is a crime against humanity.

Blood+ is no good either. Girls Bravo is pure smut. RIN is smut with a story (and gore!)

yno....it occurs to me that the Harlock movie went up on Netflix the same day as Hunter x Hunter. Harlock has a dub from Sentai, but they haven't announced that it's been licensed by them and i'm not sure they get contracted by other companies to dub stuff.

hm....

I honestly wouldn't be surprised, Sentai is the only company dumb enough to get the rights to HxH then sit on it for years for no reason

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What the hell is Moon Phase about? It's one of those animes I've heard about, but I only know it exists.

Squid Girl is actually quite decently funny, though no idea of the dub. I think they tried to insert a ton of cod-awful fish puns in it.

Chaos;Head was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. To think the same company went from THAT to Steins;Gate.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is a crime against humanity.

Blood+ is no good either. Girls Bravo is pure smut. RIN is smut with a story (and gore!)
Dance in the Vampire Bund is the only damn anime/manga that I can think where it actually contains a young girl that's actually 1,000s of years old......but at least she actually has an adult form.

Girls Bravo amazingly isn't as smutty in the manga (granted, still ecchi, but no nipples & almost no ass). One of those rare instances where the anime is more "mature" than the manga, where it's usually the other way around because TV censorship. Also the nice artwork the manga had is completely gone. Edit: Oh & one of the characters was completely changed from "barely there" in the manga to "girl-crazy woman" in the anime, I assume because it could let them think of more ways to work in fanservice. Honestly, I wonder if the author had any input in the anime.

Blood+ I remember from Adult Swim.......& that's really it, because it got boring later on.

Tenumi

Banned
Squid Girl is actually quite decently funny, though no idea of the dub. I think they tried to insert a ton of cod-awful fish puns in it.

The dub was pretty good, and honestly, there's no squidin' way I'm gonna take any fin from anyone sayin' otherwise.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Quick he's going to die, we need the power of FRIENDSHIP to bring him back!

B-Dubs...

I never told you...

All that time that I was getting stronger
getting faster
training harder than I've ever trained before

It was because...

BECAUSE I PROMISED MYSELF THAT I WOULD BE THE ONE TO DEFEAT YOU ONE DAY

SO DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP NOW, B-DUBS

YOU'D BETTER GET UP AND KEEP FIGHTING BECAUSE NO ONE IS GOING TO DEFEAT YOU BUT ME!!!!!

B-Dubs...

I never told you...

All that time that I was getting stronger
getting faster
training harder than I've ever trained before

It was because...

BECAUSE I PROMISED MYSELF THAT I WOULD BE THE ONE TO DEFEAT YOU ONE DAY

SO DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP NOW, B-DUBS

YOU'D BETTER GET UP AND KEEP FIGHTING BECAUSE NO ONE IS GOING TO DEFEAT YOU BUT ME!!!!!

tumblr_lb0fvaHcem1qevkryo1_500.gif

Crocodile

I don't think I'll be around tomorrow night. Hopefully the last episode of Blue Exorcist is appropriately bullshitty so that I can revel and bask in y'all reactions the next day :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Here's the current Netflix Anime Selection:
Code:
.hack//Quantum
Alakazam the Great
Astro Boy
Attack on Titan
B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time
Baka and Test
Beyblades (Real Metal and Partial Nudity)
Black Butler
Blade of the Phantom Master: Shin Angyo Onshi
Blood+
Blue Exorcist
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Chaos;Head
Chobits
Chrome Shelled Regios
D. Gray-man
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Death Note
Digimon Seasons 1-3 (Dub and Sub are separate titles due to content editing)
Eden of the East and both EotE movies
Fairy Tail (Season One)
Fate/Zero
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete
Fullmetal Alchemist (The good one)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (All the seasons except the one with the shit opening)
FMA:B's movie
Ghost Hunt
Girls Bravo
Harlock: Space Pirate
Heaven's Lost Property
Hero Tales
Hetalia...lots of it
The House
Hunter X Hunter
Initial D and Stage 3 The Movie
Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
Kaze no Stigma
Kenichi: Earth's Mightiest Disciple
Kill la Kill
Kite, Kite Liberator
Legend of Legendary Heroes
Madoka Magica
Mazinkaiser SKL
Moon Phase
My Bride is a Mermaid
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
Ouran High School Host Club (Andrex...)
Pokémon Series (1,2) Black and White, and both BW movies+Kyurem
Princess Jellyfish
Psycho Pass
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Rosario+Vampire
Samurai Shamploo
Sekirei
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings
Soul Eater
Spice and Wolf (Season 2 only!!!)
Squid Girl
Sword Art Online
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Trigun
Trigun Badlands Rumble
Vampire Knight
Welcome to the NHK
Yobi, the Five-Tailed Fox

Now let's break these down:

Never Heard of them:

Code:
Alakazam
Blade of the Phantom Master
Chrome Shelled Regios
Ghost Hunt
Hero Tales
The House
Kaze No Stigma
KITE
Legend of Legendary Heroes
Moon Phase
Vampire Knight
Yobi, The Five Tailed Fox

AVOID
Code:
Black Butler
Blood+
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Chaos;Head
Sekirei
Girls Bravo (though it is kinda funny)
My Bride is a Mermaid

WATCH IF IT LOOKS GOOD TO YOU
Code:
.hack
B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time
Baka and Test
Blue Exorcist
Chobits
D. Grey-man
FF VII Advent Children
Hetalia
Initial D
Mazinkaiser SKL
Okami-san
Rin
Rosario+Vampire
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings

MUST WATCH (For one reason or another)

Code:
Attack on Titan (For the Spectacle)
Death Note (Because it out Spectable's AOT! and has a Rocking dub)
Digimon (Season 3 is something else entirely, dub was written primarily by Steve Blum!)
Eden of the East (Watch the show, the movies...eh)
FAIRY TAIL (Season 1 is a lot of content)
Fate/Zero
FMA (Landmark show)
FMA:Brotherhood (missing season, lesser followup to a landmark show)
Hunter X Hunter (thread would revolt if I didn't put it here...)
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (would kill on Toonami at 2am)
Kill la Kill (Don't Lose Your Way)
Ouran High School Host Club (It's a gateway drug to shojo, also great dub)
Pokémon (doesn't really fit anywhere else, season 1/2 is nostalgia bait)
Princess Jellyfish (Extremely interesting premise and execution)
Psycho Pass (give it a try)
Samurai Champloo (nearly on the level of the greats)
Soul Eater (The ending might suck but this show is great)
Spice and Wolf (Even though its only season 2 this show is OUTSTANDING.)
Squid Girl (Splatoon the Show!  Well Kinda.  Watch it!  Squid Puns!)
SWORD ART ONLINE (Lazybones approved)
TENCHI MUYO GXP (How far can a franchise fall?  This far!)
Trigun (One of the all time greats)
Badlands Rumble (An entirely serviceable anime Non-Canon Movie)
Welcome to the NHK (One of the most moving shows I have ever seen in my life.  Life altering)

Gorillaz

What exactly is fairytale about other then a cat with a big ass head

edit: I don't think I would be into something like that tbh

Yes Please.
We don't need people thinking that the original is better in any shape or form.

Netflix has a decent selection of anime though. Kaze no Stigma was decent when I watched it from the list that you haven't seen.

Can't believe they got rid of Desert Punk though. Really underrated show.

MUST WATCH (For one reason or another)

Code:
Attack on Titan (For the Spectacle)
Death Note (Because it out Spectable's AOT! and has a Rocking dub)
Digimon (Season 3 is something else entirely, dub was written primarily by Steve Blum!)
Eden of the East (Watch the show, the movies...eh)
[B]FAIRY TAIL (Season 1 is a lot of content)[/B]
Fate/Zero
FMA (Landmark show)
FMA:Brotherhood (missing season, lesser followup to a landmark show)
Hunter X Hunter (thread would revolt if I didn't put it here...)
[B]Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (would kill on Toonami at 2am)[/B]
Kill la Kill (Don't Lose Your Way)
Ouran High School Host Club (It's a gateway drug to shojo, also great dub)
Pokémon (doesn't really fit anywhere else, season 1/2 is nostalgia bait)
Princess Jellyfish (Extremely interesting premise and execution)
Psycho Pass (give it a try)
Samurai Champloo (nearly on the level of the greats)
Soul Eater (The ending might suck but this show is great)
Spice and Wolf (Even though its only season 2 this show is OUTSTANDING.)
Squid Girl (Splatoon the Show!  Well Kinda.  Watch it!  Squid Puns!)
[B]SWORD ART ONLINE (Lazybones approved)[/B]
[B]TENCHI MUYO GXP (How far can a franchise fall?  This far!)[/B]
Trigun (One of the all time greats)
Badlands Rumble (An entirely serviceable anime Non-Canon Movie)
Welcome to the NHK (One of the most moving shows I have ever seen in my life.  Life altering)

LOL at the bolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom