• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No, you feel like it doesn't carry the same weight for the same reason behind sub-preference in all cases: you don't understand the language. You feel like "friend" doesn't quite carry enough weight, but "nakama" likely carries the exact same amount of weight in Japanese, but because it's Japanese it's not really possible to understand that.
I literally said NOT to use "nakama," and the fact is that "nakama" is not really a 1:1 translation with how we typically use "friend" in everyday speech, so it's not that it does or doesn't carry the same amount of weight. It's just that it should be translated differently in different circumstances. In most cases you wouldn't go around calling your buddies that you hang out with "nakama" (you would probably use "tomodachi" or "tomo"), but that's usually how the English word "friend" is used. We tend to use stronger language than just "friend" when talking about a more intense or complicated relationship with someone if we're asked about it, even when it's platonic. Two soldiers who grow close on the battlefield, for example, will probably use something stronger than "friend" to describe what they mean to one another, even though "friend" technically is a perfectly accurate word in and of itself. They might refer to each other as "brothers," for example, even though that's actually technically a completely incorrect term for their relationship in the literal sense. And in that Arlong Park scene, THAT is the emotion that Luffy is getting across. So yeah, I generally like some variation of the "you're one of us" translation of that scene the best, at least in terms of accuracy (I do think even that translation has its issues, though).

But there are lots and lots of other times where "friend" is a perfectly cromulent translation and IS exactly what Luffy (or anybody else saying it) means at that time. That really is the correct translation most of the time. Just not all of the time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Don't you mean "Seven Military Gods of the Sea"?

Qq6s91P.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Don't you mean "Seven Military Gods of the Sea"?
What a Naruto fanboy*! If you were a real One Piece fan you would know that the OFFICIAL One Piece databook: Hermit Purple revealed that the proper romanization is the "Seven Worlds of the Sea"! How you missed such a key fact is beyond me.

Translation: Naruto fanboy is English for baka

Seda

did you know that the Enies Lobby arc of One Piece and the Immortals Arc of Naruto are ending within a few weeks of each other and we'll have an eleven week span when both are in filler.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
did you know that the Enies Lobby arc of One Piece and the Immortals Arc of Naruto are ending within a few weeks of each other and we'll have an eleven week span when both are Non-Canon™.

I am in ascension! Everything's coming up Man God!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Null scans. It says Waipa.

So it's Wiper? Fucking shitty scans. That kind stuff discourages from reading it.

oh dear god, run away.

Go spend money on the viz translations, or learn japanese. Anything to avoid Null scans.

IIRC the null scans are a brazillian's (native Portuguese speaker) attempt to translate Japanese into English, neither of which he is fluent in.

oh dear god, run away.

Go spend money on the viz translations, or learn japanese. Anything to avoid Null scans.

IIRC the null scans are a brazillian's (native Portuguese speaker) attempt to translate Japanese into English, neither of which he is fluent in.

Jesus christ. How the hell has he been allowed to translate so many chapters? And why haven't they been replaced with better ones?

oh dear god, run away.

Yeah but then you get Zolo and other questionable "official" translated names

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 130

Right then, been awhile since we had one of these episodes and I don't mean that in a good way as this is one of those episodes that looks at how bratty and petty Usagi can be when in conflict with Chibiusa.Also, Usagi's mom actually gets some screen time so of course she ends up being the target of this episode. Anyway, in spite of containing element that I have long hated in these characters, this much more season production and writing as this episode does bring much more emotional content then before, actually examining the reasons why Usagi and Chibiusa act the way they do instead of the much more shallow affairs done for pure comedy as seen in say the R Season. Also, the comedy itself it much better as it actually got me to laugh a few times. Anyway, the real uptick for this episode is that apparently the new stock footage is done now so we finally get Super Sailor Moon and Super Chibi Moon as permanent power ups as well as the final attack being fully animated and Moon Gorious Mediation looks kind of lame still compared to Moon Spiral Heart Attack. Anyway, surprising recommendation to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 131

Ah yes, knew this episode was coming sooner or later, as since we are dragging all of the old Sailor Moon cast out of mothball since there is an almost complete lack of new characters to focus on this season on the heroic side of things there is actual room for this long forgotten supporting cast to shine in brief. The manga did this as well albeit the focus was actually on giving the Sailor Guardians an individual chapter wherein there dreams were explored. This is something the anime would do automatically at some point anyway and since there are episodes to fill these normal humans get to fill the bill for the time being. At any rate, of course Naru would be a target at some point since I think she is contractually obligated to be at least once a season. Also, The Eyes attempt to actually change up tactics and use a different means to trap their quarry, doesn't work, but I liked that they ere able to change the dynamics of things. Anyway, all and all this was a pretty typical episode of the series, mild recommendation to watch.

BBboy20

https://vimeo.com/92098469

So, it is like AGK is a typical RPG but then has edgy bloody horror gorefest action out of no where. Like, you can't play the disposable friend game if you have us trying to give a shit to begin with.

Man, I have no idea why they keep turning Hitman into typical action shlock. If they just TRY to make it similar to the games, it might be a very methodical experience.

Yeah, I saw that actor who will be playing the new Transporter at San Diego (he's also Ajax in the Deadpool movie); seems like a nice fellow but I actually am wondering what happened to that TV show.

You'd think somebody who is immortal be considered the big cheese in most situations.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear are my favorite characters.

Those are some of my favorite nonsense translations. I don't even know how you got those names outside of "Bear" since that's obviously a translation of Kuma.
Bellamy was called "Binami"
And then there's HK Subs. Those are always a laugh no matter what. With Usopp being called "Crook Boo" and "Liar Boo", and Robin saying lines like "He dive like a crazy beef".

Yeah but then you get Zolo and other questionable "official" translated names

I'm still holding out hope they release a proper version, reinstating Zoro.

Grexeno

Welp, enjoy suffering what I did.
Or just return it.

(My laptop had the battery die a year and a half in and I spent 3 years having it plugged in always :V)
I've sent it in to fix it. Believe me, I experienced the thing you did and I have no intention of doing that again.

Raxus

I always felt Zolo was less questionable and more an unfortunate side effect of everyone afraid of being sued over vague references to characters. It is part of the reason lots of JoJo characters get some really weird name changes yet DIO is still a thing.

bigkrev

I always felt Zolo was less questionable and more an unfortunate side effect of everyone afraid of being sued over vague references to characters. It is part of the reason lots of JoJo characters get some really weird name changes yet DIO is still a thing.

When they started publishing Shonen Jump in America in 2003, it was Zoro, and that's how it was printed in the volume releases as well. Once the 4Kids version began to air, it became Zolo, and future reprints of the older volumes became Zolo as well.

Raxus

When they started publishing Shonen Jump in America in 2003, it was Zoro, and that's how it was printed in the volume releases as well. Once the 4Kids version began to air, it became Zolo, and future reprints of the older volumes became Zolo as well.

Really now? That is just silly then.

Speaking of translations. My Hero Academia's official volumes are pretty great.

Moaradin

I don't know why they still keep those mistranslations. Viz generally does pretty good with their mangas. Even One Piece seems pretty good, except for those weird holdovers from the 4kids version. Why keep something that hasn't been relevant in over a decade? o_O

Grexeno

I don't know why they still keep those mistranslations. Viz generally does pretty good with their mangas. Even One Piece seems pretty good, except for those weird holdovers from the 4kids version. Why keep something that hasn't been relevant in over a decade? o_O
Because you've been doing it for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom