• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did it for Valvrave about a year ago. Here's a pic summing our reactions.

403664909b62d0dea0fa342c4d602452.jpg

This is literally EVERYONE'S reaction to Valvrave

Line_HTX

Speaking of which, at the start of this thread, I mentioned how I was in San Antonio for San Japan and asked if I should buy Casshern Sins on the spot from the Funimation Booth because I had $20 on me ready to get it. By the time I got an answer the Dealer's Room had already closed. I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if it was one that I wanted to get a physical copy of and watch repeatedly. I got Gankutsuou The Count of Monte Cristo instead the next day, lol.

Up to chapter 259: Zoro vs Braham.

Now I know why Skypiea is so long. It's all these fights. Oda trynna ratchet things up.

Hope you enjoy entire chapters of Luffy stuck in the proverbial rejuvenation chamber while proverbial Freeza curbstomps the shit out of everyone. Or entire chapters of Luffy running through the proverbial Snake Way.
Wasn't a big fan of Skypeia as a whole, though Enel's power being completely ineffectual against Luffy was so satisfying.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Skypiea is better on re-reads
after many of the concepts it introduced return in a big way.

I think it's important to understand that M&H is not (the following might be considered spoiler-y, so I'll black it out)
a plot-driven show. It's very much episodic in the Bebop/Champloo vein, although it does have more episodes dealing with the plot - if that makes sense, it's just all very loose - more of a road-trip, get into stories show.

I think once Satoshi returns (he was mentioned in the two-parter we had recently), the show will pick up a bit. I know I was underwhelmed with this last episode when I watched it the first time.

Ultimately, M&H is a show that I liked, but not loved. I think that's why you don't hear a lot about it. I had a feeling that the thread would find itself losing some interest after a hot start, because that's kind of how I felt after watching it.

If you would prefer not to have someone's opinion about M&H pepper yours on the show, I would recommend not reading the above.

As for the other shows:

DBZ Kai - Fun. It's just a fun show.

M&H - An underwhelming episode, not a fan of Michiko basically trying to find ways to get rid of Hatchin because she's interested in some guy.

AGK! - Very 90s feeling all the way around. Mood shifts are way too sudden, though I would occasionally get a chuckle. Seems like this would be the anime I would like if I was in my teens and wanting to find something "edgy" to be different.

SAOII - Should've just called it "Prologue". Basically a bottle episode. I'm interested in the idea of putting Asuna front-and-center for an arc, but I have no faith in the show pulling it off.

One Piece - As I mentioned during the airing, it was so refreshing to have the Straw Hats back on the Merry, doing pirate-y things and working together, bouncing off each other with one-liners - it feels like it's been forever since we've had that, because, well it has! But based on the next episode's title and remarks made so far, I have an idea of what happens next week, and I hope I'm not right about it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece localization, both official and unofficial, is all over the place terminology wise. You can blame 4kids for a lot of it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece also has terrible luck with wishy washy fan translators on both the manga and anime sides of things. Groups never got good enough with the anime and no one really did a good job with the manga until about 5 years ago.

The anime in particular suffered badly. Lots and lots of awful groups handled it and the few good ones that were available dropped it for one reason or another. It was a god send when One Piece started simulcasting. Pretty much the best thing Naruto ever did was getting simulcasting to become a thing.

EDIT: I'm the Viper. I've come to Vipe your Vindows.

Line_HTX

Translate into proper English or RIOT!

Keeping the phrases on its own when it can be accurately translated is unprofessional and shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I honestly miss those debates. We live in an enlightened world where most people understand that friend is a very capable word that can convey different degrees of affection.

I honestly miss those debates. We live in an enlightened world where most people understand that friend is a very capable word that can convey different degrees of affection.

Friend, Comrade, Partner, Crew-mate, I dunno it seems that there are a lot of equivalent words that are useful for different scenarios. It doesn't always have to be the word friend.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I still don't really like the use of "friend" in most instances where "nakama" is used in a way that carries some particular weight.

I'm not saying you should use "nakama" because, well, that's silly, but I feel like there has to be a better word than just "friend." Like Luffy shouting from the top of Arlong Park "NAMI, YOU ARE MY friend" just doesn't really do it for me.

Grexeno

NO

YOU ARE A STUPID BAKA GAIJIN WHO CANNOT COMPREHEND THE WONDERFUL MEANING AND SUBTEXT OF THE GREATEST WORD OF THE GLORIOUS NIPPON LANGUAGE

I still don't really like the use of "friend" in most instances where "nakama" is used in a way that carries some particular weight.

I'm not saying you should use "nakama" because, well, that's silly, but I feel like there has to be a better word than just "friend." Like Luffy shouting from the top of Arlong Park "NAMI, YOU ARE MY friend" just doesn't really do it for me.
No, you feel like it doesn't carry the same weight for the same reason behind sub-preference in all cases: you don't understand the language. You feel like "friend" doesn't quite carry enough weight, but "nakama" likely carries the exact same amount of weight in Japanese, but because it's Japanese it's not really possible to understand that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have friends I'd die for, and I have friends that are acquaintances that I'm on good terms with, and I've got no trouble using the same word for both. Friend is a powerful word, friend.

I have friends I'd die for, and I have friends that are acquaintances that I'm on good terms with, and I've got no trouble using the same word for both. Friend is a powerful word, friend.

You're conflating friends and acquaintances. Acquaintances can't be your friends.

"NAMI YOU ARE ONE OF US!"

or alternatively

"NAMI YOU'RE PART OF MY CREW!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're conflating friends and acquaintances. Acquaintances can't be your friends.

I'm talking about the lowest level of friendship and its deucedly difficult to put into words. A long term acquaintance that you are on good terms with? Someone who you wouldn't go out of your way to keep in your life but still enjoy the company of? I just use friend for that, friend.

Line_HTX

NO

YOU ARE A STUPID BAKA GAIJIN WHO CANNOT COMPREHEND THE WONDERFUL MEANING AND SUBTEXT OF THE GREATEST WORD OF THE GLORIOUS NIPPON LANGUAGE

No, you feel like it doesn't carry the same weight for the same reason behind sub-preference in all cases: you don't understand the language. You feel like "friend" doesn't quite carry enough weight, but "nakama" likely carries the exact same amount of weight in Japanese, but because it's Japanese it's not really possible to understand that.

In that case, then comrade should have more weight. You stupid BAKA, KONO YARO~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom