• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Agreed. I try to let a few episodes worth sink in because my initial reaction sometimes is very different from my opinion afterwards, especially when I go from sub to dubbed since I need some time to get my ears adjusted to hearing a different voice when I'm used to hearing a certain one.

That's why I wanted to wait a few more episodes considering the rest of the cast will be fully introduced in episode 2 (I assume) & so far, the only real opinion I can form so far is on the MC guy, who's just....okay, which isn't enough to give a full opinion on the entire dub.

Comparing the English voice to the Japanese is always going feel odd at first, yeah. Sometimes a character voice might not seem to fit initially but after seeing the character, like, actually be a character in actual scenes of the actual show - one can at least acknowledge the direction they were trying for.

Like, Levi in Attack on Titan, for example, at first seems to have an English voice that doesn't really match how he looks. However, I'd say after seeing the series that it's an appropriate casting. It matches his personality, attitude, and lines well. I'm not sure if he 'comes across' significantly differently in Japanese, but regardless, his English performance appears consistent with the context of the character presented.

Similar for Akame in this new show. Her voice is surprisingly deep and clearly meant to be 'emotionless' or whatever. At this point though, I can't say much about how 'appropriate' the voice is because I don't have much to go on.

And yes, of course difference in voice inflection can alter how a character is perceived, like Metatron talked about with Michiko. That's not inherently a negative though.

Mik317

AGK dub is hurt by Toonami havig great dubs as of late. Even things with awful writing like SAO and BE had great vo work. AGK goes for relatively new or oft unknown talent and is (so far) worse off for it.

It is a super 90's sounding dub which may work in advantage with the type of show it is .

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, that's pretty good, considering our main activity is one night a week for a few hours, then discussing said shows the day after

Also damn you, Shokugeki no Soma, now I REALLY want to try out karaage. Probably the first time I truly wanted to try & cook something I've seen in a cooking show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, there's a bunch of us and as a result of the group watch we go through about a thread a month. I honestly would be shocked if we overtook AnimeGAF at some point.

Line_HTX

Wow, that's pretty good, considering our main activity is one night a week for a few hours, then discussing said shows the day after

Also damn you, Shokugeki no Soma, now I REALLY want to try out karaage. Probably the first time I truly wanted to try & cook something I've seen in a cooking show.

Seriously, the stuff they make in Food Wars looks SO TASTY! I have never tried Risotto before. :(

Manly cabbage pink!

Raxus

I feel like I should rewatch Arietty. I kind of remember parts where it did a great job of world building/showing the world from the main girl's view because of how small she was & making use of every day objects in order to get around the house. But yeah, it was kind of dull for the most part, & what bummed me the most is that it just "stops", right when things could've been interesting.

Yep. Probably the weakest Gibli film I have seen. It is a shame too because I love The Borrowers to pieces. It felt like the climax was edited out.
Seriously, the stuff they make in Food Wars looks SO TASTY! I have never tried Risotto before. :(

Manly cabbage pink!

The recent dish is probably one of my favorite in the series. Really makes me want to try the dish in real life.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yep. Probably the weakest Gibli film I have seen. It is a shame too because I love The Borrowers to pieces. It felt like the climax was edited out.

The recent dish is probably one of my favorite in the series. Really makes me want to try the dish in real life.
I recall seeing The Borrowers as a kid, so I think that was another reason why I was kind of disappointed.

I might google to see how to make karaage considering chicken is one of my favorite foods & oh man that CRUNCH sound when they'd bit into it, and the texture just made it seem so damn appatizing. There's gotta be SOME site that goes over the different foods made in the series. I could've sworn at one point, they actually did include recipes for some of the simplier things in the series in SJ or the printed volumes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Basically puts this thread under four team sport threads, wrasslin', steam, anime, halo, & destiny.

That's pretty good. So we're like 6th if you only count OT community threads. No one is ever going to beat the sports threads since they're doing what we do except for the entire weekend plus Monday, or even more if you count Baseball. So out of the OT community threads that aren't naturally going to be unbeatable, we're like top 3.

Raxus

I recall seeing The Borrowers as a kid, so I think that was another reason why I was kind of disappointed.

I might google to see how to make karaage considering chicken is one of my favorite foods & oh man that CRUNCH sound when they'd bit into it, and the texture just made it seem so damn appatizing. There's gotta be SOME site that goes over the different foods made in the series. I could've sworn at one point, they actually did include recipes for some of the simplier things in the series in SJ or the printed volumes.

I love this guy's videos. The Gotcha! Pork looks delicious at the end.

Line_HTX

Hmm, I kind of like this stat collection thing on OT Communities. Seda championed ToonamiGAF since the World Premiere of Space Dandy in January '14. Fuck, I wish I started posting during SAO that previous fall and Blue Exorcist. =/

I went to this one ridiculous steak place on the south side of Houston where they had their own farm, and I literally had a Food Wars reaction when biting into the best dry-aged steak they made.

us and uh
we need three others
*grabs seda*

Don't worry we can still make it work!

tumblr_mqux171xyu1spp0ndo1_500.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WE ACTUALLY FUCKING DID IT?!?!? THE LEGENDARY 2 MILLION??!?!?!?!

AND AKAME GA KILL GOT A WHOPPING 1.8 MILLION?!?!?!?!?

OMG, WHAT IF WE GOT 1 MILLION THE ENTIRE NIGHT?!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
More ratings:

M&H had 1.46 million
SAO2 had 1.19 million
Shippuden had 1.09 million

I don't know about One Piece or AoT. Also, "Dragon Ball Z: Kai was the top cable program Saturday, earning a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Akame ga Kill came in second with a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did Resurrection F have any Toonami promos before the film? I would imagine Funimation might promote DBZ Kai before the movie started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom