• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Toonami needs more edge. Clearly we need to show the ending of School Days for the entire block. Ratings bonanza.

You suggesting School Days is a form of microaggression.

D:

I'm dying at that thread.

> The year is 2015
> Kai has 2015 viewers
> 15 divided by 5 is 3
> There are three letters in Kai
> Toonami has a runtime of 3 hours and 30 minutes
> AS Toonami has been on the air for three years

Half Life 3 confirmed.

Illuminati! BWONG!

"Attack on Titan: Junior High" Anime Character Designs Previewed

Eren Yeager - driven by this dream of expelling the Titan from the world, he's given to breaking school rules. His favorite food is cheeseburgers.

CMHqsw1UsAAzgWN.jpg:large

Mikasa Ackerman - Eren's childhood friend, who's only interested in him. Her amazing physical abilities are reduced down to 30% and she oozes a spirit of melancholy when he's not with her.

Armin Arlert - intelligent, but weakened by a susceptibility to cold. Wears around bedding to avoid getting sick.

7ea6507fa2e4868a3301f93ae1b1a3de1438340705_full.png

My hope is that the OP is just the first OP in this style, that would be amazing. That description of Mikasa is sadly too accurate RIP

BRING THIS TO TOONAMI

Line_HTX

whynotboth.gif

.........speaking of both, Sentai has the rights to both of them. yaaaayyyyy?

There was a trailer of Nozaki-kun with Monica Rial talking, but she says on her Twitter that it was only to read for the trailer, and she was not actually going to play Paras (sic).

I have to admit, I kind of panicked when I saw that trailer, but yeah, that was a close one. If they ever do dub it, I hope Seo is good. Maybe get Michelle Ruff again? :lol

Raxus

So how did Sentai get to be so bad with voice acting? I can see the evidence but is it bad direction, bad script, bad VAs? It is way to early in AgK to put my finger on where things went wrong.

Line_HTX

Probably direction in addition to completely unknown VA's. It wasn't bad like unwatchable, but definitely not as good as AniplexUSA or Funimation dubs.

Moaradin

I don't think any of the voices were particularly good. They ranged from bad to mediocre. The only voice that didn't really bother me was Misato.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd argue it's mainly the direction/how they were told to read their lines. I guess to compare another dub of theirs, Girlz Und Panzer, the voices themselves aren't terrible (well aside from some of the girls sounding similar to one another at times), but man, the way some of the lines are delivered is just awful at times.

It probably helps that Funimation has been in business a lot longer and therefore have more experience. Sentai is rather new, being founded in Sept. 2009, so almost 6 years ago. Doesn't help all the better voice actors are pretty much taken for the most part, so they gotta make do with what they can.

Eh. I don't think the voice acting in Akame ga Kill was bad, but it left a lot to be desired.
Pretty much. Even more so when we're so used to Funimation & Aniplex.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like SAO could be an example of a good VA cast and good direction (for the most part), but it's hampered by its awful script.

If one (or more) of those fails, then it's harder to appreciate the other elements because you're too distracted by the elements they got wrong. Ex. You can have a good script, but people won't be able to take it as seriously if you don't have a good VA cast reading it.

Moaradin

I don't think many people criticizes the SAO dub. There are genuinely good performances there. The script was always the problem. The same is true for the Japanese version, though the dub can take it to the next level sometimes.

Line_HTX

Dub Art Online is crazy good. It sucks that the writing's what they have to work with, and make the best out of a shitty script.

Dubrarara was good too. It's definitely a synergistic effect of all three aspects. Maybe that's why Aniplex dubs are crazy...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, Aniplex tends to handle dubs very well, as shown by their other shows like Kill la Kill & Gurren Lagann. I just wanted to use it as an example of a show where people tend to forget it has a good dub over how awful the plot/script is & how one bad element makes you forget about the other good elements relating to dubbing.

Oh yeah, Aniplex tends to handle dubs very well, as shown by their other shows like Kill la Kill & Gurren Lagann. I just wanted to use it as an example of a show where people tend to forget it has a good dub over how awful the plot/script is & how one bad element makes you forget about the other good elements relating to dubbing.

Bandai dubbed Gurren :p

But Aniplex dubbed Fate/Zero and its probably the greatest dub I've ever heard.

I'd argue it's mainly the direction/how they were told to read their lines. I guess to compare another dub of theirs, Girlz Und Panzer, the voices themselves aren't terrible (well aside from some of the girls sounding similar to one another at times), but man, the way some of the lines are delivered is just awful at times.

It probably helps that Funimation has been in business a lot longer and therefore have more experience. Sentai is rather new, being founded in Sept. 2009, so almost 6 years ago. Doesn't help all the better voice actors are pretty much taken for the most part, so they gotta make do with what they can.

Well, technically Sentai is just ADV films; it doesn't have much to do with age, they've just always been pretty uneven in terms of quality.

Line_HTX

I don't remember the old ADV days other than the WORST of all time in Initial D, but Sentai has always been [Immortan Joe] MEDIOCRE. I watched Ghost Hound and my God, I'm amazed I even finished that series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*looks at Fall anime listing* Man, there's NOTHING. Only one that sticks out to me is that new Lupin III series.....& I guess One Punch Man because I'll be told by you guys otherwise.

Also, there's a movie crossover of Cyborg 009 &......Devilman. I'm trying to find the logic behind that & just who was begging for those two franchises to be together.

*looks at Fall anime listing* Man, there's NOTHING. Only one that sticks out to me is that new Lupin III series.....& I guess One Punch Man because I'll be told by you guys otherwise.

Also, there's a movie crossover of Cyborg 009 &......Devilman. I'm trying to find the logic behind that & just who was begging for those two franchises to be together.

One-Punch Man, Noragami S2 and Young Black Jack should be good.

Gundam uh...who fucking knows anymore

Moaradin

It's looking to be one of the best seasons in a while imo

One Punch Man, Haikyuu, Noragami, Garo should all be pretty good.

and you still have the good leftovers like Ushio and Tora.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, forgot about Young Black Jack. Just learned about it not too long ago. Haven't heard of Noragami.

There's also a new Fist of the North Star.........based on a gag manga version of the series.

Maybe I'll use it the season to go to my backlog of shows, though maybe I'll suffice with the few amount of shows considering I'm aiming for a part-time job while going to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom