• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69iS2NvAgdwXc1v

(Video of drawing up later, if I can get the upload to WORK...)

LATER

Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 36 - Frieza Closes In! Mighty Porunga, Grant Our Wish!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 37 - A Nightmare Transformation! Frieza's Power Level: One Million!?
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 3 - Kill the Grudge
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 9 - The Chocolate Girl in Love
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 20 - Sleeping Knights
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 79 - Unfulfilled Scream
2:30 - One Piece - 313 - Peace Interrupted! A Navy Vice Admiral with a Fist of Love!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 21 - Crushing Blow: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 5

Later.

Huh, I could have sworn that the "power level of one million" thing happened when Frieza went to his final form. Also could have sworn that the One Piece anime dawdled a bit before dropping plot bombs.

I know I'm a bit late to post my impression of the One Piece episode because I had to leave to do something important after the episode ended.😌

But fuck I cried like a little baby after seeing it. RIP Merry you were the best darn fucking boat.😭

I love One Piece, it will always be my favorite.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I could have sworn that the "power level of one million" thing happened when Frieza went to his final form. Also could have sworn that the One Piece anime dawdled a bit before dropping plot bombs.

Nope, it's a 4 episode set of huge info dumps coming up on One Piece before we hit the shitty Water 7 filler episodes.

This stretch from about 308-316 is easily one of the best segments of the series.

Seda

How often does Luffy cry? I mean I know he's not a stonewall but trying to remember the last event in which he tears up (and not in a comedic way)

How often does Luffy cry? I mean I know he's not a stonewall but trying to remember the last event in which he tears up (and not in a comedic way)

You're gonna see it a couple more times between now and where the anime is currently. While events move slowly, they do get pretty intense.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So guys help me out here, some years ago I started gintama and watched a few episodes, it was kinda funny but nothing truly happened, and I didnt really get to the good shit in terms of jokes cause I was at the beginning, I kinda dropped it and I believe I was heading towards a long hiatus anyways, later on I heard that the first like 20 episodes are filler and it actually doesnt start when the manga starts until later, which kinda shocks me and im wondering if thats true.

But beyond that I thought it was a gag manga about shonen, didnt know it had any kind of real story and I only saw one fight scene that was pretty well animated used for a AMV waay back in the day when AMVs were the thing. Now im hearing that it does have some continuity and is really a shonen and isnt really "good" just because of the jokes, atleast thats what I picked up on.

There's a really huge one for Luffy's character but I doubt ToonamiGaf will reach it anytime soon.

So guys help me out here, some years ago I started gintama and watched a few episodes, it was kinda funny but nothing truly happened, and I didnt really get to the good shit in terms of jokes cause I was at the beginning, I kinda dropped it and I believe I was heading towards a long hiatus anyways, later on I heard that the first like 20 episodes are filler and it actually doesnt start when the manga starts until later, which kinda shocks me and im wondering if thats true.

But beyond that I thought it was a gag manga about shonen, didnt know it had any kind of real story and I only saw one fight scene that was pretty well animated used for a AMV waay back in the day when AMVs were the thing. Now im hearing that it does have some continuity and is really a shonen and isnt really "good" just because of the jokes, atleast thats what I picked up on.

The first 2 episodes are really the filler non canon episodes. The first 20+ episodes are basically introducing the characters of the series and their gimmicks/dynamics. Most people don't find that great in the beginning because it's setting up the characters and at that point Gintama is finding itself. Once you hit episode 25 you'll realize why Gintama is really good. Unlike other Shonen series as it progresses it gets better and better instead of regressing.

Also there are serious arcs which have action in them and aren't just about comedy. You could say Gintama pretty much has everything.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

The last time we saw Luffy cry was in the aftermath of his duel with Usopp.

I can't recall any other time in the present day of the series prior to that in which he cried, though. The only other time I can think of where we saw him cry was when Shanks lost his arm saving him during his backstory.

Gintama gets better around episode 25. All the stuff before that is mostly introductory.
Don't expect any sort of main plot. There are good serious arcs but anything about the main bads or Gintoki's past is hardly ever brought up and treated as a joke and a tease

Might wanna have whoever made that decision double check that because I'm pretty sure cajun was only defending Arcadius from what I was able to catch. Everybody makes mistakes or easily misinterpret a situation,
Off-topic but to clarify,
cajunator was encouraging incest in the show To Love Ru (start here and go to page 301) along with Save N' Quit and Arcadius. I think wonzo screencapped something from Arcadius' twitter, which was then deleted because that's against the rules. Later on when Arcadius was mentioning suicide, that's when cajunator was defending him. Before that, cajunator was talking about dickteases and brother/sister stuff.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There's a really huge one for Luffy's character but I doubt ToonamiGaf will reach it anytime soon.

The first 2 episodes are really the filler non canon episodes. The first 20+ episodes are basically introducing the characters of the series and their gimmicks/dynamics. Most people don't find that great in the beginning because it's setting up the characters and at that point Gintama is finding itself. Once you hit episode 25 you'll realize why Gintama is really good. Unlike other Shonen series as it progresses it gets better and better instead of regressing.

Also there are serious arcs which have action in them and aren't just about comedy. You could say Gintama pretty much has everything.

Gintama gets better around episode 25. All the stuff before that is mostly introductory.
Don't expect any sort of main plot. There are good serious arcs but anything about the main bads or Gintoki's past is hardly ever brought up and treated as a joke and a tease

Reminds me of katekyo hitman reborn. I think Ill watch it tomorrow

Korigama

Akame ga Kill is just so, well...silly that I can't help but find it entertaining. Kind of like an abridged version of a show, only the dub is doing the job itself.

Rutger

Banned
One more thing I think should be said about Gintama, its action arcs have the best pacing in any shonen. Nothing ever overstays its welcome.

It's really refreshing compared to everything else.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Goooooooooooood morning ToonamiGAF. Any short-comings in last night's run were saved by the finale.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Steroid Dragon is here to grant your wishes! So Shenron can bring multiple people back to life, but Porunga can only bring back one at a time. How very convenient Toriyama.
But enough about that, Freeza's here, and so begins one of the LONGEST fights in Dragon Ball. Freeza just curbstomping everyone.

Akame ga Kill:
"Do you think people will notice our recording equipment is 20 years old and sounds like shit?" "Nah, anime fans are stupid, they won't notice"
How did Tatsumi even cut off that guy's arms?

Michiko & Hatchin:
This was probably the best episode yet. Excellent animation and a pretty good story.
Plus, you have to love the line "When you kicked me in the balls, you gave my heart a reach-around".
And hey, we got a bit of character for M&H themselves.

Sword Art Online II:
Don't care about your parental issues Asuna. At least give us a scene of her telling off her father for trying to marry her off to a kidnapping rapist.
At least the last scene was a pretty good action sequence. I'd hate SAO a bit less if we had more of these (instead of the once every six episodes we do get them)

Naruto Shippuden:
Hidan casts Reflect!
Was this one chapter in the manga? This felt like one chapter pacing. *checks the Naruto wiki* THREE?! THIS WAS THREE CHAPTERS? But there was so much padding.

One Piece:
Thank you Merry, for everything. You carried the Straw Hats from Syrup Village, to the Baratie, to Arlong Park, to Loguetown, to the Reverse Mountain, going through the entrance of the Grand Line, to Whiskey Peak, to Little Garden, to Drum Island, to Alabasta, to Jaya, shot up into the sky, through Skypiea, back to earth, to Long Ring Long Land, to Water 7, got severely injured by Kaku tossing you out into the ocean, repaired by Iceburg to sail one last time, and saved your crew from Enies Lobby. Your final rest is deserved.

Raxus

Sorry I forgot about my reviews for such a long time but here goes nothing.

REVIEW TIME!

Dragonball Z

Here we get a long list of rules for Porunga and Piccolo instantly finds a loophole. Good going Toriyama. The real main event starts now. Honestly one of the few slow episodes of DBZ. Necessary to get all the pieces in place for the Frieza battle but overall more could have been done to keep me invested in an episode dedicated to just wishes and Vegeta blowing a casket. Guru's death is forever ruined by abridged for me.

Akame Ga Kill

I will go on the record saying AGK's comedy is horrible. A comedy episode. Even worse. We meet Night Raid and Tatsumi undergoes a trial to join. I have a big problem with the target he kills as we get a little later in the series but this is one of the weakest episodes in the series. I like Akame's VA and a handful of other characters but man, Tatsumi is baaaaaaaaad.

Michiko and Hatchin

This is what I am talking about. I really want to loved this show, and I will discuss it more in depth later, but I could see people's complaints of the show. This episode remedies a lot of things though. Some genuine emotions, development sorely needed for Michiko that puts her character in a little more context and the episode flows nicely to boot. Can't wait for part 2. Fingers crossed it sticks the landing.

SAO II

Don't forget mom, I killed kids.

Fight was nice. Arc can only go uphill from the mom scene...right???

Shippuden

A decent episode sadly killed by how slowly the manga goes. Naruto can get Bleach bad at times and it shows when a whole 2 minutes is dedicated to an obvious Shikamaru revelation. Hidan still has a cool power set and it is nice there is still some semblance of strategy in the series. Too bad the other 2 ninjas might as well be window dressing with their thumbs up their asses as one of their comrades is about to get killed even after Shika neutralizes the threat.

One Piece:

Legendary episode right here. When I first watched it I was sad to see Merry's fate but I welled up a bit when the apology came out. The montage, music and good animation do a great job highlighting why Merry was so important to the crew The episode was pretty well paced to boot, just recapping the necessary bits and nearly closing out Usopp's arc for Water 7. Sonny really deserves all the praise he gets for Usopp who is quickly becoming my favorite Straw Hat.

Without further ado RANKINGS!

Legend Tier

One Piece

Top Tier:

Michiko e Hatchin

Mid Tier:

Shippuden
Dragonball Z

Low Tier:

Akame Ga Kill

Don't forget Mom, I Killed Kids Tier:

SAO II

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hattori was the true villain all along. Lucci and Spandam were just pawns.
Luffy was onto that pigeon's shit from day one. He always knew that Hattori was the true mastermind:

Also, bear this in mind: there was a special that detailed what all the characters were doing 20+ years ago. In it we see a kid Lucci training with Hattori. But the lifespan of a pigeon is 6 years tops. So Hattori has managed to live 4 times his normal lifespan. If that's not the mark of some evil abomination, I don't know what is.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week's Michiko and Hatchin probably isn't quite what you guys are expecting. :D

I think you might dig it anyway, though.

It's going to be all Hatchin all the time.

Line_HTX

Man, I passed out so hard when I got home. Thankfully I managed to catch the SD West Coast feed.

Kill Authority

Man, is it me or is this dub like super hilariously bad? Like holy shit, I have never laughed and cringed so hard for so long at a dub before. I have laughed at bad dubs that were from the 90s or early 2000s, but never have I felt those two emotions simultaneously. I mean, usually I don't care about the botching of pronounciating the names, but man, this was way too noticable. I mean... "MINE?" Like landmine? I thought it was Mi Neh like the Mine Skyline GTR. I get that sometimes saying the names is difficult, but come on man.

PLOT placed on top of the head.
This version of Dandy is definitely like some Gachimuchi stuff.
Scorpion Boss with an eyepatch.
Long ass BACKSTORY shot.
Suddenly Akame has decent PLOT of her own. Throws the fish into the basket with insane accuracy.
I don't even remember shit from the last time I tried watching. I somehow tuned out for the majority of the episode then.
These characters and villains don't feel unique. I guess there's still some entertainment value in boring tropes if executed well.
You know what's even better? Getting killed by two hot babes. You lucky dog.
I love me some monologues.
The first slash didn't bring him down? SLASH HIM HARDER!
Oh, she smiled. And then she stripped him down.
Badmouthing the twintail tsundere behind her back.

Zekken

Fuck, the realist shit. The mom talk kind of hits too close to home in a different way... =/
Asuna don't want to go to college? I said damn...
Don't forget. I killed other kids too, y'know? I was a WARRIOR!
Told her off. [Crowd whooping over burn while guy on the right holds his face falling down gif]
Maybe she should have Kirito meet her mom in person and then things could be different.
laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

Lisbeth and others are not amused.
Who wants to step up and duel?
Wow, Yuuki does not sound like Ryuko Matoi at all except for a few yells. It's very hard to tell that it's Erica.
Put Yuuki in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax please.
You're the one I've been looking for. Let's go fly somewhere.
We need your help!
A-1 Pictures makes the best smiles and awesome fighting animation. :)

Puruzi

Banned
Man, I passed out so hard when I got home. Thankfully I managed to catch the SD West Coast feed.

Kill Authority

Man, is it me or is this dub like super hilariously bad? Like holy shit, I have never laughed and cringed so hard for so long at a dub before. I have laughed at bad dubs that were from the 90s or early 2000s, but never have I felt those two emotions simultaneously. I mean, usually I don't care about the botching of pronounciating the names, but man, this was way too noticable. I mean... "MINE?" Like landmine? I thought it was Mi Neh like the Mine Skyline GTR. I get that sometimes saying the names is difficult, but come on man.

PLOT placed on top of the head.
This version of Dandy is definitely like some Gachimuchi stuff.
Scorpion Boss with an eyepatch.
Long ass BACKSTORY shot.
Suddenly Akame has decent PLOT of her own. Throws the fish into the basket with insane accuracy.
I don't even remember shit from the last time I tried watching. I somehow tuned out for the majority of the episode then.
These characters and villains don't feel unique. I guess there's still some entertainment value in boring tropes if executed well.
You know what's even better? Getting killed by two hot babes. You lucky dog.
I love me some monologues.
The first slash didn't bring him down? SLASH HIM HARDER!
Oh, she smiled. And then she stripped him down.
Badmouthing the twintail tsundere behind her back.

Zekken

Fuck, the realist shit. The mom talk kind of hits too close to home in a different way... =/
Asuna don't want to go to college? I said damn...
Don't forget. I killed other kids too, y'know? I was a WARRIOR!
Told her off. [Crowd whooping over burn while guy on the right holds his face falling down gif]
Maybe she should have Kirito meet her mom in person and then things could be different.
laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

Lisbeth and others are not amused.
Who wants to step up and duel?
Wow, Yuuki does not sound like Ryuko Matoi at all except for a few yells. It's very hard to tell that it's Erica.
Put Yuuki in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax please.
You're the one I've been looking for. Let's go fly somewhere.
We need your help!
A-1 Pictures makes the best smiles and awesome fighting animation. :)

Her name is Mine pronounced that way in the original too.

Crocodile

Welp I turn 30 today

hemqPuF.gif

Haha now you can't do it because I beat you to it :p

Going to go to the local fair and eat some street food that only comes around once a year <3

Seda

croc's one of the more reasoned, level-headed, and insightful posters in this thread and he has the age to match.

happy birthday~

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Welp I turn 30 today

hemqPuF.gif

Haha now you can't do it because I beat you to it :p

Going to go to the local fair and eat some street food that only comes around once a year <3
Happy Birthday! WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL... of.. decades. Anime throwing fanservice of people actually half your age will now be even creepier! ;)

Forgot to say, good work as always. Is the Tatsumi dinosaur a reference to something?

LoL, yeah, that. I just know because of the Internet.. and Kenshiro. Everything Internet is made better with Kenshiro.

And Thanks! Here's the Video of it being Drawn, for any who care. Hm. I thought I turned the grid off... whatever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom