• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Welp I turn 30 today

hemqPuF.gif

Haha now you can't do it because I beat you to it :p

Going to go to the local fair and eat some street food that only comes around once a year <3

And here I felt old when everyone else was talking about Prom! That sounds like a fantastic way to spend a birthday. Happy Birthday, Crocodile!

I stopped watching before One Piece. I didn't make the right choice, did I?

Line_HTX

Happy Birthday! WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL... of.. decades. Anime throwing fanservice of people actually half your age will now be even creepier! ;)

LOL Damn... Cutting real deep.

As always, good job on your sketches. Is this the one where you said you'll start over on a clean scratch?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LOL Damn... Cutting real deep.

As always, good job on your sketches. Is this the one where you said you'll start over on a clean scratch?

Yeah, considering I had my own 30th birthday a few years back, I know, ha.

And yup! I worken on this one ( https://youtu.be/z6PB91Oi4QU ) for a few weeks, I think the only person that meant anything to was me, heh. It was nice to finish a whole page and some color in a single night again.

ckohler

Quickie reviews this week:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - They waisted so much time making their wishes, the grand elder died in the process. Kinda stupid the dragon can't bring back more than one person. So many stupid wishes too. Why not wish Goku healed? Or simply wish Freeza dead or transport him to the other side of the universe? I did like seeing both Vegeta and Freeza pissed off. I consider them all pretty much defeated already and now we have to play the waiting game until Goku comes back.

Akame ga Kill - As cookie-cutter and pandering as this show is so far, I'm not disliking it that much. The dialog is terrible which is made worse by the flat performances. This episode wasn't bad and would have been much better if they tried less to be funny because the comedy really falls as flat as the voices. The only thing I like so far is Leone. She's friendly, fun and smexy. The twin-tails tsun girl is already getting under my skin. The rest of the cast are all pretty forgettable, so far. For having such a reputation for being "edgy", I'm not seeing much edge yet. I'll keep tuning it mostly for more Leone, myself. :D

Michiko & Hatchin - A better episode than most but I still just feel like I'm enduring this show rather than enjoying it. Hatchin is alone in a world of idiots and assholes and Michiko is still among them. About the only thing Michiko has done that could be considered "good" is promise to protect Hatchin and even that is just out of some kind of obligation. There was a little bit of character development between them this time but it didn't actually resolve the problems.

Sword Art Online II - The whole beginning portion with Asuna and her bitch mother was not particularly interesting. Nobody's perfect but her daughter did suffer for like a year in a hellish VR prison and now all that snooty bitch cares about is controlling her daughter's life. Kinda dumb. The second half was much better and the battle between Asuna and Yuuki was pretty awesome. I think I'm kinda taking a liking to Yuuki already. She seems pretty cool. A bit of a bubble head but also a badass and super friendly. :) Decent episode.

Naruto: Shippuden - An okay episode that suffers too much from typical Shippuden pacing. However, I liked the actual using of jutsu powers and Hidan(?)'s jutsu in particular is pretty original.

One Piece - Even having only seen a small portion of One Piece, I was still affected by the strong emotions of Merry "dying" last night. It was pretty crushing; like putting a beloved pet out of misery. Sad stuff.

Seda

Naruto Shippuden:
Hidan casts Reflect!
Was this one chapter in the manga? This felt like one chapter pacing. *checks the Naruto wiki* THREE?! THIS WAS THREE CHAPTERS? But there was so much padding.

haahah, was the flashback a chapter on its own?

Despite the pacing and that it's somewhat apparent anyway, I do like how Shikamaru thoroughly enumerates Hidan's abilties step-by-step. How many protags do that :p

Next week's ep is (tease)
the best of the arc yet, although there's another Shika flashback lol

--

I said this last night but I really appreciated how Hatchin approached Michiko in this episode. She outright shows her distaste of how Michiko ripped off the mechanic, she notes how fast Michiko resorts to 'hitting' before Hatchin even gets a chance to speak, even says she can barely look at Michiko. The show has successfully and seemingly purposefully put us on #TeamHatchin and I am geniunely interested how they develop this from here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bring Toonami to KH3.

Also Ant-Man was rather great.

.......now I'm contemplating a 2nd part time job for the day in addition to the possible 3rd shift theater cleaning job so I can get away from my dad's gf's kids who've returned today......& earn more money, I guess.

Quickie reviews this week:

Akame ga Kill - As cookie-cutter and pandering as this show is so far, I'm not disliking it that much. The dialog is terrible which is made worse by the flat performances. This episode wasn't bad and would have been much better if they tried less to be funny because the comedy really falls as flat as the voices. The only thing I like so far is Leone. She's friendly, fun and smexy. The twin-tails tsun girl is already getting under my skin. The rest of the cast are all pretty forgettable, so far. For having such a reputation for being "edgy", I'm not seeing much edge yet. I'll keep tuning it mostly for more Leone, myself. :D

I find myself laughing at all the serious scenes in English because the dub work is so bad it feels like I'm watching a so bad it's good movie but in anime form. Not that an Aniplex/Funimation dub could save AgK from it's bad writing, but the tension some of the better scenes had is lost here IMO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So far, AGK has fallen into the "so bad it's funny" category, especially with the dub and the delivery of lines. Similar to what Bass said.

Also, anyone know the rule for dedicated spoiler threads in Gaming? Do you have to wait so many days until after a game's release or can it go up the same day?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That feeling when it's been almost 10 years since the chapter with Merry's funeral came out.
Still gets me.

It takes a while to reach pure edge.

And of course, the REALLY pure edge stuff only happens in the manga.

Moaradin

AgK Manga seems like it's trying way too hard for the type of manga it is. Hearing about the Wild Hunt pretty much made me lose all interest in ever reading it.

Akame ga Kill was fun when it was trying so hard to be so edgy, it was kind of cute

Now it's just boring because the manga is in it's endgame and it feels lame

The real question is where can Takahiro stick the esdeath archtype next

AgK Manga seems like it's trying way too hard for the type of manga it is. Hearing about the Wild Hunt pretty much made me lose all interest in ever reading it.

Wild Hunt is hilarious precisely because their existence is distilled edge. It's like the most depraved shit you'll ever see in a modern shounen series and most seinen series. I'm actually surprised they even got away with it.

Wild Hunt is hilarious precisely because their existence is distilled edge. It's like the most depraved shit you'll ever see in a modern shounen series and most seinen series. I'm actually surprised they even got away with it.

I'm guessing that's the
villain team made up of ALL RAPISTS, including a clown that is a child rapist,
that I've heard about.

Mizerman

If you read the manga, it gets even worse when Wild Hunt appears.

I'm talking about one's eyes potentially bleeding because of the sheer edges of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom