• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/toonami

So the Pre-Flight stream is now just Toonami, and the description now says:

Suit up for an ass-kicking marathon of Toonami programs past and present, including Toonami: Pre-Flight every day at 5P ET (U.S. only).

AoT is on as I type this, an earlier episode - they are still in training.

Apologizes if this has been mentioned before and I missed the post.

Oh, and #SaveOnePiece

27vdPwI.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Suit up for an ass-kicking marathon of Toonami programs past and present, including Toonami: Pre-Flight every day at 5P ET (U.S. only).

AoT is on as I type this.

That's pretty cool and a great way to catch up if you miss a week.

One Piece's 18-49 numbers aren't too far off from Shippuden so I wouldn't be too worried. Still, total bullshit that people aren't tuning into the best show on the block.

Seda

That's...weird. This is Attack on Titan episode 4 I believe.

So it airs random episodes and then the week's Pre-Flight comes on at 5pm, and then it goes back to random episodes?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mikasa always with the shoving bread down people's throat. Leave Sasha alone.

I wish Mikasa showed some more of what I guess counts as her jokey/silly side sometimes

Oh, and #SaveOnePiece

http://i.imgur.com/27vdPwI.jpg

That sucks I have a hard time catching Pre-Flight when it airs and now if I miss it at 5PM I have to wait till the next day to watch :|

Cool that they have old episodes of stuff on a 24/7 stream, I just wish they kept Pre-Flight separate

ckohler

AoT's consistent viewership jump confounds me. The show is at the end of the block and has been repeated several times and yet still it draws a crowd. Judging by our small group, Toonami fans usually tune out after One Piece. So where are these AoT viewers coming from?

Htown

AoT's consistent viewership jump confounds me. The show is at the end of the block and has been repeated several times and yet still it draws a crowd. Judging b our small group, Toonami fans usually tune out after One Piece. Where are these AoT viewers coming from?

I mean

Attack on Titan is pretty popular

That's...weird. This is Attack on Titan episode 4 I believe.

So it airs random episodes and then the week's Pre-Flight comes on at 5pm, and then it goes back to random episodes?

Apparently not so random? AoT episode 5 is on next. No Toonami bumpers or anything inbetween but this might be a soft launch.

Htown

It's got that edge.

you joke, but that's part of it

there's that feeling in the early episodes that anybody could bite it at any time

the show does a good job of making the enemy super creepy and threatening, and making it seem like humans are well and truly fucked

it doesn't feel like the show is holding back at all, even though if you go back with hindsight it totally is

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
you joke, but that's part of it

there's that feeling in the early episodes that anybody could bite it at any time

the show does a good job of making the enemy super creepy and threatening, and making it seem like humans are well and truly fucked

it doesn't feel like the show is holding back at all, even though if you go back with hindsight it totally is

I'm only partly kidding, the general Toonami audience loves the edge. They love it even if it's obviously fake and not really there. That's what the general audience looks for, edge. Not writing, not story, not characters, just edge.

Jarate

Banned
DVR numbers totally skew AOT #s

Think about how many people forgot to take it off their DVR

Also, the west hates One Piece for some reason

Also, the west hates One Piece for some reason

I don't want to say the West hates One Piece, but it's too anime to ever really be popular here.

The fact that the One Piece anime has a high barrier for entry doesn't help much either. Some shows you can dive into half way through, and still get most of the plot.

One Piece has such a huge cast of characters, and such a gigantic world that it's much harder.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't want to say the West hates One Piece, but it's too anime to ever really be popular here.

The fact that the One Piece anime has a high barrier for entry doesn't help much either. Some shows you can dive into half way through, and still get most of the plot.

One Piece has such a huge cast of characters, and such a gigantic world that it's much harder.

If we weren't so far in already it would be a lot easier. There's only so much you can expect people to catch up on before it becomes silly. Had we started with Laboon or Whiskey Peak it wouldn't be as bad, but we had these talks a while back and yes they should have started from scratch. Heck, they should have gone from jump and done 2 episodes a week until they caught up. It would have taken about a year to get into Arlong Park and get everyone hooked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me wishes they started AFTER the Foxy Pirates arc & right at Water 7. I won't lie, it was hard getting back in at times especially when they pulled that stupid "WHOOPS, YOU LOST, TIME FOR THREE MORE GAMES!!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Has a rerun ever hit that high?

Not counting frontrunner reruns.

We've never seen anything hit 1 million that deep into the night. Even when the block was longer, the millions died down by 2am. Hell, the 2am hour only a million a couple of times.

Part of me wishes they started AFTER the Foxy Pirates arc & right at Water 7. I won't lie, it was hard getting back in at times especially when they pulled that stupid "WHOOPS, YOU LOST, TIME FOR THREE MORE GAMES!!"

I feel like the best place to start, other than at the beginning, would have been the episode where Robin joins the crew. Should have done Jaya/Skypeia first, if only because there's less to catch up on.

At least they didn't start at the beginning of the Skypiea Arc.

Really, B-Dubs? I would think that would be a terribly confusing place to start.

I feel like the best place to start, other than at the beginning, would have been the episode where Robin joins the crew. Should have done Jaya/Skypeia first, if only because there's less to catch up on.

Well, that isn't really a good place, considering that there are two filler arcs and various one-offs between Robin joining and the start of the Jaya arc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If One Piece started at the beginning and aired two episodes a night, we would be in the middle of Davy Back Fight right now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That would've made a bit of sense since OP was taken off Cartoon Network about 1/3rd of the way into Skypiea, but ugh, it was also the arc that made me stop caring about OP for quite a few years.

I do agree on getting two episodes to catch up faster, plus it'd make some episodes not feel as slow because they'd be paired up with another.

Edit: For anyone that has Neogaf++ on their browser, is Quick Reply not working for you? Live Thread is still there, but the textbox on the bottom of the page is gone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Really, B-Dubs? I would think that would be a terribly confusing place to start.

I figure Jaya is early enough to make catching up easy and self-contained enough (at that point in the story) that viewers wouldn't feel lost.

Well, that isn't really a good place, considering that there are two filler arcs and various one-offs between Robin joining and the start of the Jaya arc.

No shit? Fucking hell.

Should have started at the beginning

Well obviously.

If One Piece started at the beginning and aired two episodes a night, we would be in the middle of Davy Back Fight right now.

Which is what we should have done.

I joke about saving One Piece, but honestly, it's a pretty consistent performer that is in no danger of running out of episodes, which makes it - in my opinion - a pretty good middle/back of the block option that you don't have to worry about replacing unless the bottom drops out. Same as Shippuden.

So you get to have some consistency in scheduling which allows you to play around with the rest of the spots available.

That said, nothing is ever guaranteed.

So looks like they have indeed turned the Pre-Flight Channel int a full bore Toonami Streaming Channel.

http://toonamiunited.com/2015/08/25/news-the-new-improved-toonami-streaming-channel/

Well, now we have a schedule.

Also, from the horse's mouth:

So is PreFlight not rerunning anymore?

From now on it will re-run every afternoon at 5 et, which kicks off that night's marathon. The marathons will usually run about three hours or so, and pre-flight will run at the end of those as well. This was all decided (not by us) pretty last minute, so we should have a schedule up on the Toonami FB & Tumblr in the next day or so.

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/130925066985

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Weird, no One Piece on there? I get two days of DBZ Kai (most popular show), but OP has aired for quite a while they could have it be part of the stream.

......but then again, it's usually the lowest rated show...

...oh, & there's no Shippuden as well. Weird.

Seda

I'm not sure constantly running marathons for storyline-focused shows is very interesting. It's not like Rick & Morty or something that you can easily kinda just tune in whenever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funimation just released/is going to release the first dub set that catches up with where they started simulcasting, so pretty soon I'll have seen the entire thing at least once legally.

People may complain that they are still super far behind but honestly they've dubbed a lot of the show!

So are we doing pre flight live posting every day?

I'm down with it, should be easier if its always 5pm now. I'm not sure how many people even watch it. At best we could just ask the question of the week here for some of our favorite x

I'm not sure constantly running marathons for storyline-focused shows is very interesting. It's not like Rick & Morty or something that you can easily kinda just tune in whenever.

DBZ transcends that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom