• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

The next major arc is one of the weaker ones but man does it have its moments. Particularly
the best Usopp fight.

Its fine when the fights start and Brook is awesome but you eventually lose interest in Moria and begin to feel like he ain't shit and coming off of this arc only makes that more apparent. The Oars fight is neat but goes on too long. Zoro's crowning moment does redeem it a lot.

Nobody dies in One Piece. It does kind of undercut dramatic moments, not because people don't die but because Oda thinks that "killing" them and then bringing them back is supposed to be shocking for the 200th time. But people still fall for it I guess.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
First time watching One Piece? This isn't even close to the most crazy shit people survived from in this series.

I mean, someone actually survived a point blank nuke.

People always forget this.
Unless explicitly stated, named characters don't die

Nobody dies in One Piece. It does kind of undercut dramatic moments, not because people don't die but because Oda thinks that "killing" them and then bringing them back is supposed to be shocking for the 200th time. But people still fall for it I guess.

Yeah but whenever he decides to really kill someone it'll have a huge impact

Crocodile

Why is this so melodramatic. Luffy is spent. How is that shocking?

Yeah this series should be more like AgK and
just rack up the body count, probably kill a strawhat or two while they save robin

There is a happy medium between EVERYBODY dies and NOBODY dies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hey Robin, remember how they weren't shooting wherever you were? So... WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE GETAWAY SHIP?!

Probably the only stupid mistake Robin ever makes.

Moaradin

I actually like that One Piece doesn't throw around deaths like crazy. It makes it way more impactful when it actually DOES happen.

Compare the major deaths in One Piece to the ones in DBZ. It's super impactful in One Piece while it's pretty much trivial in DBZ.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I actually like that One Piece doesn't throw around deaths like crazy. It makes it way more impactful when it actually DOES happen.

Compare the major deaths in One Piece to the ones in DBZ. It's super impactful in One Piece while it's pretty much trivial in DBZ.

Yamcha got killed by a weak-ass Saibaman. It rendered him a complete joke of a character.

Yes. But conversely attempting to trick the audience that a character has died when they never, ever do is silly at a certain point and that certain point was actually very early on in Alabasta.

The best example is still (future manga spoilers)
Bon Clay in Impel Down. I was 100% ready to accept his death in that amazing scene, his living weakens it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

DBZ had a different problem, death actually meant something in the early days, but by the time of the end of the Namek saga, death became a really cheap currency.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Listening to this again, the MC is........alright. I mean, it's not GREAT, but I'm not disliking him as much as others here are. Some of his inflictions are off, though.

His design seems a bit off compared to everyone else as well. I think that bugs me more than his voice.

Grexeno

Uh. So, I'm legitimately interested to see how the hell they're supposed to get out of this.
v7rTo5v.gif

Mik317

Toonami is gdlk at making every show look awesome.

first episode left no impact on me so hope this groupwatch would change that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oda gets a lot better at avoiding hyping up his non-deaths after this point. This is the last major asspull I can remember for deaths.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Toonami is gdlk at making every show look awesome.

first episode left no impact on me so hope this groupwatch would change that.
Their two minute promo for Techi Muyo made it look legitimately like an amazing Sci Fi fantasy action show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom