• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oda gets a lot better at avoiding hyping up his non-deaths after this point. This is the last major asspull I can remember for deaths.

*thinks* That sounds about right.
Unless it's revealed Vergo and Monet survived... which they probably did

Moaradin

DBZ had a different problem, death actually meant something in the early days, but by the time of the end of the Namek saga, death became a really cheap currency.

Even then, when characters died in Dragon Ball, you always had the Dragon Balls to fall back on. It was never permanent even though Krillin dying the first time was pretty shocking.

One Piece has nothing like that (outside of super specific devil fruit powers)

fucking sabo

It was clear from the beginning that he wasn't actually dead. It's not an asspull when it was set up. Just took a long time to pay off.

Crocodile

I actually like that One Piece doesn't throw around deaths like crazy. It makes it way more impactful when it actually DOES happen.

Compare the major deaths in One Piece to the ones in DBZ. It's super impactful in One Piece while it's pretty much trivial in DBZ.

Deaths are always meaningful if the character that has died was someone important and well developed. If they absence will actually be missed and their death makes sense + does them justice then its not an issue after death #564563. Of course, you have to make sure you actually have a main cast to do shit so you can only go so crazy. Death fakeouts don't make the real deaths more meaningful, they just make the fakeouts annoying.

I understand, but I don't feel like calling for blood here would make this arc better.

I'm not saying the NEEDED to die. I just wish Oda would stop with the fake outs. Either kill someone or don't. Don't tell me they are dead then JK! Especially when this isn't the first time at this rodeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom