• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the heck said that? Nothing beats SSB Melee or Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation on GCN as far as fighting games go in my opinion.

I never played a Naruto game on the system though. In fact the only Naruto game I've ever played was Path of a Ninja on Xbox 360 back in 2007. It was pretty good from what I remember.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Who the heck said that? Nothing beats SSB Melee or Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation on GCN as far as fighting games go in my opinion.

I never played a Naruto game on the system though. In fact the only Naruto game I've ever played was Path of a Ninja on Xbox 360 back in 2007. It was pretty good from what I remember.

Planet Gamecube.

The eighting Naruto games on the GCN are legit as hell. They basically play like Bloody Roar 3 skinned with Naruto.

Did you know that Naruto GNT 3 is the best selling third party GCN game in Japan?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Planet Gamecube.

The eighting Naruto games on the GCN are legit as hell. They basically play like Bloody Roar 3 skinned with Naruto.

Did you know that Naruto GNT 3 is the best selling third party GCN game in Japan?

They're all legit but it did started to suffer from street fighter 2 disease where the improvements started to get incremental and the graphics hardly ever improved. there was a rumor that they didnt localize the last game because they were making one for the wiiU. *sigh*

MikeMyers

tumblr_mzytn4aWNv1qgnixfo1_500.gif

Jintor

I was thinking about something today, apropos of nothing in particular. I don't hate SAO because it's popular, I hate SAO because it's bad and I'm loud (well, relatively so) about how bad it is because it's popular.

bigkrev

I think that says more about the GCN than the quality of those games. The gamecube controller, regardless of your opinion on it, was basically unusable for fighting games. The dpad was too small to make movement consistant, the different shapes of the face buttons made quick finger rolling difficult, and the insane amount of give on the triggers made them unreliable. It's kind of telling that when Capcom ported over CvS2 a year late, they just made it so you could do all the specials by flicking the c-stick.

The Naruto 360 games are fairly interesting, because unlike all the other Naruto games, they were made by a bunch of French Canadians (Ubi Montreal) instead of JPN developers. This lead to things like a somewhat interesting open world (as opposed to the terrible ones in most other games), and experiments in the fighting such as the need to stop moving, hold down a button, and preform an intricite set of stick motions to bust out Jutsus. The games probably don't hold up at all, but I always like seeing western devs getting there hands on anime properties and getting some creativity- did you know that Atari put out a Yu Yu Hakusho turn based strategy RPG on GBA, for example?

Oh, and if you want to watch a potential bloodbath of a thread, there is a new resolutiongate thread in regards to Metal Gear over in gaming that just started up. Its only at 20 some pages right now though.

Jintor

Just watched the latest episode of kill la kill.

I know American networks are puritanical about the whole sexy girls on tv thing, but holy fucking shit, it would be a crime if gurren lagann and kill la kill never made it on.

It leaves you wanting more, which is fine with an ending. I'd argue its the weakest arc of the show though.

I'm quoting you Man God, but I'm referring to your entire conversation with Bass because this is the feeling I have for Blue Exorcist. I like the show and it's characters but because I have read the manga past where the anime ends, it felt somewhat shoehorned in when it comes to a close. I might feel differently this time around but we'll see.

That would be the thing I think I can imagine ToonamiGAF getting annoyed about. To people that haven't read the manga, it might feel like a more natural ending though. It will be interesting to see the reactions here.

For next month's name, I'd like to vote for: Toonami |OT| We Kick Ass for the LORD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think that says more about the GCN than the quality of those games. The gamecube controller, regardless of your opinion on it, was basically unusable for fighting games. The dpad was too small to make movement consistant, the different shapes of the face buttons made quick finger rolling difficult, and the insane amount of give on the triggers made them unreliable. It's kind of telling that when Capcom ported over CvS2 a year late, they just made it so you could do all the specials by flicking the c-stick.

The Naruto 360 games are fairly interesting, because unlike all the other Naruto games, they were made by a bunch of French Canadians (Ubi Montreal) instead of JPN developers. This lead to things like a somewhat interesting open world (as opposed to the terrible ones in most other games), and experiments in the fighting such as the need to stop moving, hold down a button, and preform an intricite set of stick motions to bust out Jutsus. The games probably don't hold up at all, but I always like seeing western devs getting there hands on anime properties and getting some creativity- did you know that Atari put out a Yu Yu Hakusho turn based strategy RPG on GBA, for example?

Oh, and if you want to watch a potential bloodbath of a thread, there is a new resolutiongate thread in regards to Metal Gear over in gaming that just started up. Its only at 20 some pages right now though.

The GCN controller is perfect for three fighting games. Soul Calibur, Melee, and this most excellent series. GNT 4 is the best 3D fighting game of that generation. Hell the game is what really got me into the series not the series getting me into the game. It's a damn shame only the first two games made it over here. The Wii games just aren't as good.

bigkrev

The GCN controller is perfect for three fighting games. Soul Calibur, Melee, and this most excellent series. GNT 4 is the best 3D fighting game of that generation. Hell the game is what really got me into the series not the series getting me into the game. It's a damn shame only the first two games made it over here. The Wii games just aren't as good.

I'm not going to bother debating if Smash is a fighting game (its not worth it), but I will disagree with the GCN controller being good for SC. As dependent on the dpad that game is (is it even possible to do counters with the stick?), the controller just isn't up to snuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not going to bother debating if Smash is a fighting game (its not worth it), but I will disagree with the GCN controller being good for SC. As dependent on the dpad that game is (is it even possible to do counters with the stick?), the controller just isn't up to snuff.

The GCN pad is perfect compared to the crap we got with the OGXBOX and PS2.

It would have been an even better controller for Tekken but it was a Sony exclusive back then.

SC2 was perfect on GC and that's not because of Link. You can do everything with the stick in SC why would you ever use the dpad in that game?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I played soul calibur 2 hardcore long hourson the gamecube, and I got so good at counters they were nothing for me, i even tried using the d pad for counters and they turned out even easier to do, but i felt more comfortable using the stick

The GCN pad is perfect compared to the crap we got with the OGXBOX and PS2.

It would have been an even better controller for Tekken but it was a Sony exclusive back then.

I'd much rather take the DualShock 2 over the GCN controller for fighting games. The d-pad is way too small, the button size/layout is inconsistent, and the triggers suck.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hate the DS line for fighting games with the corner pinching dpad. Lost so much skin playing SFA3 it was ridiculous.

bigkrev

If I'm going to play a fighting game seriously I'm going to get an arcade stick

There are people who play games like UMVC3 at high levels using pads, like Fanatiq. Its not even the actual stick part of an arcade stick that is important, but the placement of the buttons and there responsiveness. You are going to need some type of claw grip on a normal controller to replicate the ability to hit buttons like you can on a stick, and most people will just find it more comfortable to learn on a stick.

SC2 was perfect on GC and that's not because of Link. You can do everything with the stick in SC why would you ever use the dpad in that game?

A dpad is faster than an analogue stick. It's also much easier to do directional taps on a dpad- If I want to dash forward, it's going to be a lot easier on a dpad than a stick. And that is where the GCNs dpad fails- its too small to guarantee double taps and things like QCF. If it were a little bigger, it would fix a lot of the issues

bigkrev

Only fighting games worth getting good at are the ones with real money attached to them mainly UMVC3, SF4, KoF13, and Melee

Well, not really. Apply Moneyball principles to it if you want to just earn money, and you would find that the US made games that are less popular overall, such as Injustice and Killer Instinct, are what you should pick up as they come out and master. The companies behind them normally use huge pot bonuses and sponsorships to get there game out in the big tournaments. The level of competition ends up being lower, and the prize money rivals or exceeds the big boys, UMVC3 and SF4. Hell, ChrisG (arguably the best UMVC3 player and one of the best US Street Fighter players) decided to casually pick up Injustice and has plenty of high cash finishes in a game that he doesn't even focus on!

The only stuff I would avoid are anime fighters (like Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Melty Blood, ect), because the vocal majority of of the FGC despise them, which leads to a near abandonment of a game as soon as another one comes out, and a lack of prominent placement in tournaments.

I thought Tekken was big in the fighting game community
There isn't a Tekken at Evo this year. As the prominence of streaming rises, 3D fighters have fallen out of favor because they are less exciting to watch

bigkrev

That and tekken takes forrrrrrrrever to get through.

That as well. SFXT was always going to time limit, and TTT2 is a slog. In most games, a round coming down to time is exciting- just look at the first game of the UMVC3 grand finals from Canada Cup 2013. In those games though, its just a normal occurrence and leads to people not playing to KO, but to protect life totals. Its absolute death for a stream.

Crocodile

Only fighting games worth getting good at are the ones with real money attached to them mainly UMVC3, SF4, KoF13, and Melee you enjoy whichever games they may be

FTFY
The only stuff I would avoid are anime fighters (like Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Melty Blood, ect), because the vocal majority of of the FGC despise them, which leads to a near abandonment of a game as soon as another one comes out, and a lack of prominent placement in tournaments.

They're not despised, just less popular for reasons that often have little to nothing to do with their actual quality. It's really not that hard to find competition online if a game has good netcode anyway and some of them have strong local/regional scenes.

There isn't a Tekken at Evo this year. As the prominence of streaming rises, 3D fighters have fallen out of favor because they are less exciting to watch

Which I find to be a bit depressing. Too much catering to the "stream monster" demographic IMO.

bigkrev

FTFY

They're not despised, just less popular for reasons that often have little to nothing to do with their actual quality. It's really not that hard to find competition online if a game has good netcode anyway and some of them have strong local/regional scenes.

Which I find to be a bit depressing. Too much catering to the "stream monster" demographic IMO.

I watched Brian Kibler just take a 20 minute break in his PT Top 8 match vs Cifka on Eggs because he wasn't doing anything, and the Eggs deck was just taking its time going off. If the actual participant in the match is just going to walk away, why would the viewers stick around?

Crocodile

I watched Brian Kibler just take a 20 minute break in his PT Top 8 match vs Cifka on Eggs because he wasn't doing anything, and the Eggs deck was just taking its time going off. If the actual participant in the match is just going to walk away, why would the viewers stick around?

That analogy is bad and you should feel bad. In whatever game people like to bitch goes on too long both players are still active participants. In the PT example you gave, one player is just masturbating while the other can't make any meaningful decisions or thoughts. A better example MIGHT be a control mirror with Elixir of Immortality or some shit but if WOTC banned cards for making tournaments go long for anything but the MOST egregious of examples (Top, Sharahazad), there would be riots.

bigkrev

That analogy is bad and you should feel bad. In whatever game people like to bitch goes on too long both players are still active participants. In the PT example you gave, one player is just masturbating while the other can't make any meaningful decisions or thoughts. A better example MIGHT be a control mirror with Elixir of Immortality or some shit but if WOTC banned cards for making tournaments go long for anything but the MOST egregious of examples (Top, Sharahazad), there would be riots.

The only difference between a guy getting up from the table and walking away vs a guy trying to damage his opponent for the last 20 seconds of a round in SFxT is that the guy who walks away understands when the game is over, and the one struggling at the end doesn't know he is already dead

Crocodile

The only difference between a guy getting up from the table and walking away vs a guy trying to damage his opponent for the last 20 seconds of a round in SFxT is that the guy who walks away understands when the game is over, and the one struggling at the end doesn't know he is already dead

I thought we were talking about 3D Tekken (6, TTT2) not SFxT. Yeah I don't have much to say in defense of SFxT but that lost steam mostly due with issues intrinsic to the game and the way Capcom handled it rather than "stream monster" opinion which seems to be hurting the 3D Tekken games.

Looks like link with a blue filter, is that an actual official character design or some bad fan art?

That's a real character. He was the main villain for Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventure and the sub-villlian for the Four Swords follow-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom