• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A couple things about Blue Exorcist.

It's yet another adaptation of a monthly manga, meaning like Soul Eater and FMA 03, there's a divergence point.
It is unknown if there will be another anime a/la Brotherhood as I hear the manga isn't close to done (I'm only on Chapter 11 so I'm not caught up). Though it's fairly popular in Japan so it may happen (it is a Jump series so that's where the popularity comes from).

Also, the two main characters, Rin and Yukio, are played by Papenbrook and JYB. Meaning we will never escape Kirito and Ichigo. Yaaaaay...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"A Lesson Learned: The Iron Fist of Love"

LyWGZ1Sl.jpg

We head straight into the action as morning breaks over the mine town. We start with a graveyard that looks straight out of Fist of the North Star and the runaway villager guy is clawing with his hands at his friend's grave. He vows to get him out. A man asks him what the fuck he is doing.

KMTa2Pol.jpg

Suddenly surrounded. Such is the way of the ninja I suppose. He's piss his pants shook as we cut to the curry of life shop. Granny is working her trade and is optimistic that they'll bring back Karashi unharmed.

d5erCzXl.jpg

Team Guy+1 have finally arrived at the Katabami gold mine. Naruto suggests instead of just doing the mission that they save everyone right now. Neji doesn't agree and Naruto wants to know the plan, genius. Sick burn there. Lee whips out his notebook and is worried about what Guy said. Naruto explains it for those who weren't paying attention last week, they might be lead by an ex seven swordsman of the mist. Twenty gives out because she doesn't think Guy is all that reliable but Lee has loud words with her. Investigation time.

The seven cloaked dudes bring the man to Raiga. They want to know where the ninja are from. Karashi boots him to the ground, what a heel! Raiga wants him to calm down. Why did Rokosuke betray Raiga and his clan? They only worked you to death and murdered a third of the people. Raiga is full on crazy here. Another funeral will straighten him right up. Raiga explains in insano logic why he loves funerals; people spend all day betraying and hurting one another, envy and hatred. But funerals bring everyone together despite their differences! The whole team can't wait for the funeral!

iO3iW7Xl.jpg

Miners are mining. Looks pretty busy. They need to work faster. Lee explains how gold mining works to Naruto. You need to melt it away and refine it. Naruto thinks its a bit much but Neji says he doesn't have to understand it. Such sass. An old man collapses in a bit you've seen a million times. Better work harder or he'll be the next funeral. Neji orders patience and Tenten agrees. Lee however has that hot blood of youth inside him and agrees with Naruto and he springs into action!

00VhAlOl.jpg

Lee gets to work taking out this guy then two more like he was a ninja or something and then waves to the group. Naruto is happy but the old man they saved is pissed. He won't take water and wants to be beaten. He doesn't want to die! A gong sounds though, it's time for a funeral! He goes over what we already know, if you displease the clan, you're buried alive at a funeral. Tenten is shook, the old man continues though that Raiga weeps like it was his best friend dying. Naruto thinks he is nuts and Neji wonders whose funeral it is. The old man heard Rokosuke was caught.

vBDLwpOl.jpg

Oh shit, knew we forgot something. Raiga starts eulogizing the body from the top of the cliff as we hear a young girl's voice answering him. He goes on about the first day they arrived here and how happy he was meeting Rokosuke. The young voice asks "will you be happy at my funeral?" and Raiga answers no, you'll never die to the young boy we still haven't seen. Aww shit, no way, they didn't do this again... The boy warns Raiga that they are coming soon. Some sort of psychic?

u8pxlfrl.jpg

Naruto wants to save him and asks Neji for permission. He uses his Byakugan to find the funeral. He's alive! Gonna draw the guards away and get him out.

0IvQ9aXl.jpg

The man in the coffin wants out as cut rate Ataksuki laugh. Suddenly smoke bombs. Karashi books it the other way as the rest prepare for battle with wolverine claws. Tenten takes the two on the right with her segemented staff while Neji whoops a bunch with his gentle fist and Naruto owns another three dolts with an Uzumaki Barrage. Neji warns of the other three he sees and Naruto and Lee take two of them out, Leaving only...
1MbPsDol.jpg

Karashi. Lee wants the truth. Apparently Karashi is a gigantic moron, thinking Raiga is a liberator of this village. Back to Granny with one of the men who remained behind. Her pace seems a bit off. The man tries to talk to her about something but she won't have any of it, calling him out for not helping on the mission. He was just trying to tell her the curry burned...and he's right! She's off her game! Naruto starts to cut a promo about hustle, loyalty, respect but Lee cuts in. That curry saved him! Don't give up that gift to join bandits! Like a lot of gang recruits though he wants to be powerful, looked up to and feared. Most of all he wants to be a somebody and not stuck in a curry shack, though henchmen are the ultimate nobodies. Naruto has had enough and punches this filler character like he was Renton, knocking him down.

tDtMnEhl.jpg

SWERVE, it was Lee who did it. Tough love! Lee learned a lesson in hard work from this boy that if you put your heart and soul into your work anything is possible! He was inspired! He was a better man before joining these thugs as we FLASHBACK to the making of the Curry of Life. Karashi can't handle these feels! He begs forgiveness! They forgot about the coffin man AGAIN!

fF6KEmwl.jpg

Whoops. Rokosuke just wanted to save his friend and went a little crazy. Neji notices something. A dangerous feeling. It's Raiga on the top of that cliff. They leave Karashi to look over the coffin man as they climb the cliff. No one is there as a mist forms. Ninja Art: Hidden Mist Jutsu! Lee asks Neji to use his magic eye...and it doesn't WORK! They're all pretty shook. Neji has never heard of a jutsu stronger than the Byakugan (hint, hint, Sharingan) as we finally get a name for the little boy he is talking to. It's Ranmaru. He can tell what Neji's power is but assured Raiga that they still can't see them. Raiga is a hero of the people though so he is going to protect the mine. No funeral for strangers though as he has no fond memories. Ninja Art: Lightning Fang!

VkPbQJR.gif

Kaboom. They're obviously dead as we end the episode!

NEXT EPISODE: "The Enemy of the Byakugan"

Seda

I remember despising the sword of lightning / Raiga filler arc. And I recall it taking forever - or at least it felt like it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember despising the sword of lightning / Raiga filler arc. And I recall it taking forever - or at least it felt like it.

Yep, Curry of Life is the longest arc so far and one of the longer filler arcs. It feels like next episode could be the confrontation and that would be that, right?

I'll be reviewing this arc ALL WEEK.

In happier news the next episode started and...The new opening started up! Happy days are here again!

It's this one for those that don't remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVjRNCRLwAw

RedBoot

Also, the two main characters, Rin and Yukio, are played by Papenbrook and JYB. Meaning we will never escape Kirito and Ichigo. Yaaaaay...

I felt like Papenbrook did a pretty awesome job with Rin. Much more energetic and shonen-protagonist-y than how he did Kirito.

Actually, after hearing him in SAO, Blue Exorcist, Bravely Default, and Dangan Ronpa, dude has quite a bit of range even though he's using the same basic voice. He varies the intensity and emotion of his voice very well.

Of all the things to complain about SAO for it's VA was not one of them, as a whole they pretty much fit the roles they were cast in perfectly. Obviously the story/dialogue was crap but the actual voices matched how I imagined the characters would sound in English.

The more I watch this filler hell of Naruto the more I wish I could have seen this in a time where no internet or manga access existed so there would be no knowledge of canon or filler because as a whole this really is what I wanted at the end of Naruto part 1. It's especially funny watching Shippuden every week I honestly would have preferred at this point to have just gotten the rest of Naruto's 170ish episodes instead of Shippuden as I'm enjoying these a lot more despite poor animation and sometimes still plot lines. Obviously from a growth stand point Shippuden was the better choice.

In other news my Wal-Mart just got Shippuden Movie 5 Blood Prison, a premise that made my eyes almost roll out of my skull it was so incredibly stupid. It's only $15 before my discount so I'll probably get it.

BatDan

Thinking back, the acting of SAO wasn't really that bad. Just hampered by terrible dialogue and an abysmal story. Though there were some weak spots, like the second arc villain's awkward delivery when he learns the first arc's villain still runs the system. "WHAT? KAYABA?!"

"ahhhhhh ugh AHHHHHHHHH"

'hey, maybe we should slow down'

"NO, don't go easy on me, if you really wanna help me get better at this then come at me FULL FORCE"

'okay'

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO has...a better soundtrack and Dub.

HSOTD has...a better everything else. Disgusting in its own right but more entertaining.

BatDan

SAO has...a better soundtrack and Dub.

HSOTD has...a better everything else. Disgusting in its own right but more entertaining.

It'd be nice if the writer would get off his lazy ass and write more chapters. The artist just keeps doing other series because he actually cares to work, even if he mostly draws tits.

Highschool of the Dead walks this curious line where sometimes it seems fully aware of how outrageous and hilarious its fanservice is, but at other times it doesn't seem to be.

BatDan

I got One Piece Season 5 Volume 6 in. Sadly it's almost all filler (minus one episode). At least it has the full
Chopperman
episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got One Piece Season 5 Volume 6 in. Sadly it's almost all filler (minus one episode). At least it has the full
Chopperman
episode.

The first set of filler is good. the second filler arc is HORRIBLE. Worst bit of One Piece by far.

The first set of filler is good. the second filler arc is HORRIBLE. Worst bit of One Piece by far.

Are you saying the Ice Hunter arc is worse then Return of Foxy or Spa Island arcs? Also I dunno how Ice Hunters is worse then that crappy filler in
Return to Water 7 Arc

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Are you saying the Ice Hunter arc is worse then Return of Foxy or Spa Island arcs? Also I dunno how Ice Hunters is worse then that crappy filler in
Return to Water 7 Arc

It's longer and has less bathing suits. As for the second, comedy filler>>>action filler 99/100 times for me.

It's longer and has less bathing suits. As for the second, comedy filler>>>action filler 99/100 times for me.

It's also got decent action and gives the series some much needed breathing room, I feel like in the manga
we go from having Franky join to meeting Brook in the blink of an eye
I felt the series had the same problem with Robin how she joins and we're instantly thrown into a major story arc without giving us time to get to feel her as part of the crew, something those 10ish filler episodes after Alabasta help (which are all worse then Ice Hunters arc)

As to that Bass
Franky
had been a shoe in for what, the last year of the manga? A mere formality.

I'm not talking about audience expectations, you can make the same argument for
Brook during Thriller Bark
I'm talking about how the crew reacts to him. Most of the crew doesn't interact with
Franky during the Enies Lobby arc

Of course I feel like this is pulling at straws, as a whole One Piece's filler is still really damn good and still watchable, especially when compared to the filler of most other shonen anime.

BatDan

How is
Ace vs. Blackbeard
in English? Is he still Travis Willingham?

Willingham still plays Ace, not sure why that would change unless they stated otherwise.

Best news though
Teach has his laugh! Zehahahaha!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Willingham still plays Ace, not sure why that would change unless they stated otherwise.

Best news though
Teach has his laugh! Zehahahaha!

Remember the last time they dubbed him was literally among the first episodes they recorded. That shit is ancient now. It was weird as fuck watching the stream catch up to the point where they wrapped around to the first stuff Funi dubbed. It took a bit for them to settle in.

Chopperman
episode.

Thats the only one peice filler i have seen it it was amazing. T
hough i wonder who they got to voice Minoru suzuki( a wrestler for New japan Pro wrestling), who is one of the commentators

selling a whole set of filler seems like madness to me

Man God

Non-Canon Member
hough i wonder who they got to voice Minoru suzuki( a wrestler for New japan Pro wrestling), who is one of the commentators

They basically have no choice. It goes Filler as a blowoff of a two year angle, hot new angle introduced, filler to cool you down before the next mega arc.

BatDan

Not sure about the first part yet...
But they have sold an entire set of filler before. Season 2 Volume 7.

It's also got decent action and gives the series some much needed breathing room, I feel like in the manga
we go from having Franky join to meeting Brook in the blink of an eye
I felt the series had the same problem with Robin how she joins and we're instantly thrown into a major story arc without giving us time to get to feel her as part of the crew, something those 10ish filler episodes after Alabasta help (which are all worse then Ice Hunters arc)

this was my gripe with post timeskip one piece.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another thing with this new set being almost all filler is that the volume right before it is the single best volume of One Piece to own in my opinion with two if not three of the best episodes of the entire series on it.

this was my gripe with post timeskip one piece.

One Piece is at least
clearly established that the time skip was going to slow things down before ramping them back up, the most recent arc (one anime just got to) might rival one of the best in the entire series when all is said and done the way it's shaping up

Edit: So this ending of the Biokju Beetle arc........... what do you call the opposite of dues ex machina that comes out of nowhere to con volute the problem more as opposed to fixing the problem from nothing?

BatDan

One Piece is at least
clearly established that the time skip was going to slow things down before ramping them back up, the most recent arc (one anime just got to) might rival one of the best in the entire series when all is said and done the way it's shaping up

So good.
Also, more good news. Jungle P is on the Funimation DVDs. I know it shouldn't be "good news" that the openings are on it, but after the record companies weird attitude lately, it's best to watch out.

So good.
Also, more good news. Jungle P is on the Funimation DVDs. I know it shouldn't be "good news" that the openings are on it, but after the record companies weird attitude lately, it's best to watch out.

They're not dubbing them anymore so they might as well not have OPs at all :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom