• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is an event that happens in the upcoming SAO game.

Sword-Art-Online-Hollow-Fragment-cg-01-560x333.jpg

Let it burn into your eyes.

the butter on Asuna's cheek is just freaking ridiculous.

and nice job having the daughter be in there too. just add some more to the creep factor.

Jintor

I don't know...?

Dome Prophet by the looks of things.

Can't believe that SAO image got top of page.

I honestly think the idea of a 'family' of sorts being center focus in an action-orientated series was interesting and would have been way more so if, like so many of SAO's plots, had been well executed. And hadn't fucking happened to an idiotic gary-sue everything-bends-around-him protagonist like Kirito.

I ESPECIALLY think the idea of an child-like AI could have been REALLY well explored. I mean, jesus. That's some prime feels material right there if you cooked it right.

Jintor

Oh yeah. I still don't get why yui full sized in SAO's finale. Was she full size again when they went into the murder zone for funsies?

sure is a good thing SAO's murdercode forms the basis for all MMOs forever \o/

I love how the author has absolutely no fucking idea how video game development, let alone MMO development, actually works. For example, just who the hell was maintaining all the servers for all the MMOs that magically popped up. And how the hell were they able to freely share large amounts of data from different MMOs between these servers. And how the hell can someone make a full fledged MMO by downloading a single tool. And *Brain Aneurysm*

I love how the author has absolutely no fucking idea how video game development, let alone MMO development, actually works. For example, just who the hell was maintaining all the servers for all the MMOs that magically popped up. And how the hell were they able to freely share large amounts of data from different MMOs between these servers. And how the hell can someone make a full fledged MMO by downloading a single tool. And *Brain Aneurysm*

It's probably the easy way out, but it is something best not to compare to actual game development, etc.

That's like trying to get into actual scientifically based discussions about space opera sci-fi shows whether live action (Star Trek, Farscape) or animated (Nadesico, Gundam). At current, we don't have the technology to go to deep space or break light speed, yet they are opening worm holes and doing just that kind of stuff on the regular.

Maybe in the future that is SAO (2022), we have figured out how to get the internet to the point to support that kind of structure. Or god help us, in the year 2046 where Reki Kawahara's other light novel Accel World takes place, they don't even need to go full diving into the games anymore. Yeah, I'd be interested to see if Toonami/Williams Street would pick that up now that A) They did SAO and B) Neon Alley is getting folded up into Hulu's butthole. It's somewhat of a spiritual successor to SAO where it is assumed that the technology they use in 2046 is advanced versions of what the NervGear was in SAO.

It'd be funny to see a show air that I didn't like nearly as much as SAO and balked at the story/dialogue. I'm imagining full meltdowns.

Jintor

I think the point is less 'IT'S UNREALISTIC' and more that it breaks suspension of disbelief because more people are knowlegable about MMOs than they are about quantum physics. And more to the point, have spent enough time in MMOs to understand how and why they do as they do, which is why it's more egregious.

I think the point is less 'IT'S UNREALISTIC' and more that it breaks suspension of disbelief because more people are knowlegable about MMOs than they are about quantum physics. And more to the point, have spent enough time in MMOs to understand how and why they do as they do, which is why it's more egregious.

How is what UG gave as examples breaking your suspension of disbelief though? The way the story sets it up, the copies and tool are sent to individual user's computers so that they might make their own characters/worlds. It also mentions several companies do so as well.

Ignoring the potential even for advances in server, computing and otherwise advanced technologies (we're talking about a show that involves losing complete consciousness of your physical body to participate in a world that has shown that you can feel pain), I don't find it unreasonable to think people could be using their home computers as points of entry for their own worlds. Others could potentially connect to an individuals computer through IP and participate with their server created world through a similar client interface. We have been doing that very thing for years.

For his question on how to share large amounts of data between servers, I frankly cannot answer. Perhaps something in the original programming does it and connects to other individual's servers automatically. I simply don't know but it doesn't catch me as something that is out of the realm of possibility.

On the last point, how can someone make an entire full fledged MMO by downloading a single tool? Again, before the days of big companies making MMO's like SOE and Blizzard, we had much smaller MMO spaces being built by single individuals in their basement if you will. One such game I can call out by name is called Odyssey Online Classic. It was built completely in Visual Basic and was something I played with other people in the early 90's by running a server off my computer that people could connect to with their own client. It contained a tool to do your own mapping (building the world) and scripting (creating interfaces, spells, rules, etc). In 8-10 years or so down the line from now, who is to say we couldn't make something like that on an individual basis? Maybe it would take more years, but that stuff simply doesn't glare out to me as impossible things.

There are things to be concerned with in the shows plot or dialogue but I don't believe this is one of them. Kirito's lone wolf Gary Sue situation is definitely something that I can understand being a point of dragging people out of the experience. The aforementioned things though just sound like trying to keep finding things wrong with a show you (not you specifically Jintor, but people in general) already don't like.

I actually wonder if the show really is 26 episodes, but Toonami will just re-run it until the new eps come out later.

Supposedly the new episodes won't be airing until the fall. They're doing a sneak peak for s2 during July according to Duck roll but unless they're sneak peeking a episode from the season already airing that wouldn't make sense. Fall would be the earliest Space Dandy could premier and that would give Toonami 25-26 weeks of episodes that they'd have to air something, unless they just repeat Dandy constantly at 11:30...

daveo42

Banned
I actually wonder if the show really is 26 episodes, but Toonami will just re-run it until the new eps come out later.

As well as it is doing in that time slot, they might just hold it over until new episodes start up. With nothing announced for the slot at this point, I'm doubting something else is getting swapped in. CN most likely paid a good chunk of money for it as well, so they'll end up running it for as long as they possibly can.

As well as it is doing in that time slot, they might just hold it over until new episodes start up. With nothing announced for the slot at this point, I'm doubting something else is getting swapped in. CN most likely paid a good chunk of money for it as well, so they'll end up running it for as long as they possibly can.

If Space Dandy s2 was for sure happening this summer I'd say go for a repeat, but I think part of the reason its doing so well is because its a brand new premier and a worldwide premier. Getting a new show to replace Dandy is more likely to grow the audience then reairing something everyone just watched

Do we even know how many episodes Space Dandy is gonna be? If it was only 13 episodes you would think we would see it's replacement pop up soon.

Two seasons of 13 episodes, normally when shows split they do opposite seasons like winter/summer or spring/fall but there seems to be evidence that Dandy s2 won't air until Fall 2014.

In the event that Attack on Titan doesn't get picked up, what is everyone's next best hope?

For me it would be something like Valvrave if we can get the dub over here soon. Otherwise, I'd like to see Outlaw Star come back since Funi picked up the license.

In the event that Attack on Titan doesn't get picked up, what is everyone's next best hope?

For me it would be something like Valvrave if we can get the dub over here soon. Otherwise, I'd like to see Outlaw Star come back since Funi picked up the license.

You can't put an old anime like Outlaw Star at 11:30. If you can't get something big like AoT I imagine they'll simply lose that 11:30 slot to AS until Dandy S2 is ready to air. I guess they could always slide Bleach up to 11:30 and put a classic anime later in the night

Moaradin

Two seasons of 13 episodes, normally when shows split they do opposite seasons like winter/summer or spring/fall but there seems to be evidence that Dandy s2 won't air until Fall 2014.

If they do it like that, then I could see Attack on Titan in that spot. The English version is premiering in march. And just like Dandy, It's a Funimation licensed show. Toonami seems to be in good terms with them.

If they do it like that, then I could see Attack on Titan in that spot. The English version is premiering in march. And just like Dandy, It's a Funimation licensed show. Toonami seems to be in good terms with them.

Yeah you can air AoT and have a movie night to clear the 26 weeks you'd need to get from AoT to Dandy S2

You can't put an old anime like Outlaw Star at 11:30. If you can't get something big like AoT I imagine they'll simply lose that 11:30 slot to AS until Dandy S2 is ready to air. I guess they could always slide Bleach up to 11:30 and put a classic anime later in the night

Yeah I didn't think they'd put OS in 11:30. I figured if that were the case, they'd do as you said and push something else up and put OS as a new entry at like 3 or something.

daveo42

Banned
If Space Dandy s2 was for sure happening this summer I'd say go for a repeat, but I think part of the reason its doing so well is because its a brand new premier and a worldwide premier. Getting a new show to replace Dandy is more likely to grow the audience then reairing something everyone just watched

They would definitely lose viewers for it not being a premier episode, but I could also seeing it get shifted later into the evening to re-air during the wait and then bump it back up when S2 comes back around if they felt they Bleach or another premiere anime would do better in the slot. The only downside to that would be issues with viewership changes when moving a show around in the block.

AoT is probably the only show right now that could easily replace Dandy in that spot if they needed another premiere without shifting around their schedule. It's just odd we have yet to hear much of anything about the future of that slot in particular and what will be in it once the first run of Dandy is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom