• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 3 is the big take off and onwards.

Edit: I'm using the above comment as kinda a catch all. I hate being "that guy" that keeps saying "Just give it past X amount of episodes and it gets good!" but it really does. Season 3, 4 and 5 have some heart wrenching episodes and in some cases some brutally violent ones that really make the campiness of the season 1 episodes stand out like a sore thumb. I am jazzed as hell for the new season and I keep trying to get people to watch the show because it's good stuff. Not every episode is going to be a barn burner but the stories, the writing, the character interaction, everything gets better AND you get see more of the guys from Rookies. It's great!

I should probably clarify that I've been generally positive on the show. It's not "LAST SEASON SUCKED AND SO DOES THIS", it's more "last season was fine and this one is equally fine."

This all feels so sudden that I think they might get some better stuff lined up shortly. Maybe I'm wrong and it has been something that they just announced now but have known about it for ages.

SBT feels like it was what they had on hand and just tossed it in, but given time they might have more options come up? (I'm looking at you Outlaw Star! Get dat funi deal goin)

I imagine it is a cost vs profitability in that slot, from 4-6 InuYasha was the only show that wasn't "free" to air but was pretty damn cheap because they had paid for a 10 year contact in the past the way they did with Bebop. When SBT takes over for InuYasha every show from 4-6 will be owned by CN/AS/Toonami making the back of the line up truly free to pay for the front of the line up. I imagine Attack On Titan ain't cheap

I should probably clarify that I've been generally positive on the show. It's not "LAST SEASON SUCKED AND SO DOES THIS", it's more "last season was fine and this one is equally fine."

For sure! I don't think anyone here has been saying the show blows (outside of a couple instances), but I wanted to just mention as vaguely as possible so I don't give spoilers that I felt the show gets mind blowingly awesome when it hits its stride in the 3rd season.

When the show was in its first season on CN, I was completely in the group that saw commercials for it and went "Uggh, this looks like shit." I'm already pre-disposed to bias against CG. This has lessened as of late after Clone Wars, Beware the Batman and Green Lantern: TAS gave me some nice turn around. I started watching during the repeat of the first season before the second season started and was pleasantly surprised. Not only was the show not terrible, it had some great parts (Rookies was tremendous, especially the first time around) but I still had qualms with it. Season 2 made it even better and when Season 3 started, it solidified itself as needing to be part of my collection. At that point I started buying blu-ray sets and currently have all but Season 5.

Star Wars shows (and expanded universe anything) haven't had a great track record, but Clone Wars is much better than expected and it is truly a shame with how it was taken away. The amazing stride it was having in seasons 4 and 5 would only have continued if it hadn't stopped if season 6's previews are anything to go by.

I saw a handful of people in the last page talking about Clone Wars and how they want to see it through from the beginning after seeing the preview. I happened to grab your post but really I was somewhat answering to all of those that my excitement is boiling over that you all get to see it for the first time fresh. It's the same feeling I get when I hear about people seeing Samurai Jack or SBT the first time through. You're in for a treat.

Honestly in my perfect world SBT and Clone Wars would slide up bumping IGPX into the 5:30 slot. If IGPX does repeat for a third time it'll be a break time for me to either watch InuYasha, filler hell Naruto, or something on CR basically anything else

What other shows does Toonami/AS have in their files that they could pull out and air in place of IGPX? Season 2 of Big O I know for sure and with Funi rescuing S1 rights they could air both seasons as a replacement

I just want the between soul eaters replacement and samurai jack slot to be less boring, though it's ok, but really just wish jack was at 2:30.

Seda

Could have been worse.

Inuyasha could have been replaced with SAO.

h2DtKrW.gif

daveo42

Banned
What other shows does Toonami/AS have in their files that they could pull out and air in place of IGPX? Season 2 of Big O I know for sure and with Funi rescuing S1 rights they could air both seasons as a replacement

Hopefully something at least remotely good. IGPX is one of the reasons I conk out after Jack. Big O would be a good replacement. Not sure about what else could go there to fill in the gap. Especially if they are trying for the 'free' block at the end of the night.

How long can we expect Clone Wars to air in that block with the new season on Netflix and the rights being owned by Disney?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I'd have to double check when I get home, but off the top of my head, Big O II, FLCL, and GITS 2nd GIG are the only shows on the roster that are not currently airing (or that won't be airing in a week or so).

Losing Inuyasha so abruptly is a bit of a surprise, but this isn't the first time they've lost the Inuyasha rights. They were gone for a little while before the show was brought back for Toonami, too (hence why they suddenly had new tapes for the earlier episodes on this run).

Genndy Clone Wars

In all seriousness though, they could potentially air Justice League and/or JLU I think. Those should still be in their stable. They just got asked about a super hero show in the QA after all, so it might be fresh on their minds. Is there any weirdness there that I don't know about that would prevent that?

LOLDSFAN

I'd have to double check when I get home, but off the top of my head, Big O II, FLCL, and GITS 2nd GIG are the only shows on the roster that are not currently airing (or that won't be airing in a week or so).

Losing Inuyasha so abruptly is a bit of a surprise, but this isn't the first time they've lost the Inuyasha rights. They were gone for a little while before the show was brought back for Toonami, too (hence why they suddenly had new tapes for the earlier episodes on this run).

So odds are IGPX will rerun again unless they can work out a cheap deal with funi for s1 of Big O to air all of that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No Come my Way?

NO COME MY WAY?!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!??!

HHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNGJGGGGGGGGGGARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm so glad I own Inuyasha. I think my cousin is done with it as well.

Now going to watch the rest of it+ FINAL ACT with no regret as soon as I finish Naruto filler.

Like Man God, I'm lucky in that I already own all of Inuyasha minus Final Act. This is a sucky development in general.

We've gone from one of the strongest line ups that I've felt Toonami has had since it came back to a relatively weak one very quickly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's still very strong but also very top heavy.

There were times last year where the back half was stronger in general. Now, not so much.

It's still very strong but also very top heavy.

There were times last year where the back half was stronger in general. Now, not so much.

Yeah, IGPX is really the stinker that just sours a bunch of the back half for me. Despite my dislike for Bleach, it's popular so whatevs. The rest of the first half is good and Blue Exorcist is a good fit there I think.

That back half though...I'm always down for GITS no matter how many times I see it but FMA is just getting redundant having it back there. IGPX goes with what I said before and it really is crushing the awesome that is Samurai Jack being in there. I like Clone Wars and SBT but one is still in the slightly less great episodes and the other has had multiple runs already.

Like Man God, I'm lucky in that I already own all of Inuyasha minus Final Act. This is a sucky development in general.

We've gone from one of the strongest line ups that I've felt Toonami has had since it came back to a relatively weak one very quickly.

Sao -> BE was a huge improvement, can't comment on SBT but I thought the majority of you enjoyed it

daveo42

Banned
Sao -> BE was a huge improvement, can't comment on SBT but I thought the majority of you enjoyed it

The only issue with SBT is that is got cut short and there aren't any additional episodes. This fact still stings, even though I'd watch it pretty much any time its on.

BE seems like it till be a huge improvement over SAO as well, though I will miss the meltdowns and reactions it brought. I think we can all agree though that IGPX just needs to go and never come back. It kills any and all momentum the block has up to that point.

Its a fantastic show that got cut down too early.

Like Man God said, it really is the second half. It makes me cringe every time I think about Samurai Jack having to be at 4:00 a.m. down with IGPX on it's what? 3rd run I think?

Say what you will about SAO, but it's not like it was tanking the ratings or anything.

It's great, it would even be a nice complement to jack, but like they've gone through sbt twice since toonami was back, and I feel it's more a mid-run show anyways, not 5:30 , double hr inuyasha remains the best closer so far .

bigkrev

Put the shows I want to watch (Right now- Dandy, BE, Soul Eater, OP) from 1-3Am in a row, so I can still go out on Saturday nights and come home, watch the good stuff, and go directly to bed

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
LOL.

Losing Inuyasha sucks but at least we have SBT back. I am willing to watch it again.

Wonder what is going to replace IGPX now. I hope DeMarco pulls a miracle out of his ass and airs Megas XLR.

That would be the greatest thing ever.

Someone check on Mike, is he ok? Is he still alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom